Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 14:13   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One word: Kerala. Even a mid-winter day in Kerala is like a summer heatwave in Northern Europe.
Sorry to pour cold water on the warm-weather theory, I'd love it if there was any hope at all in it, but, at best, I'd say file it under faith and hope. And don't rate it highly. It is true to say that it it is being said in more respectable places than Whatsapp. But only as a just-possibly-maybe
+ Singapore +Malaysia + Thailand. All these places have high temperatures and yet they have cases, though not exponential like in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A 90C "boilwash" is likely to destroy many of our clothes as well as any viruses. Question for doctors: what washing-machine temperature would be considered high enough? I'd say 60, but I'm not an authority.

."
Not a doctor so this is just an observation. The same logic of soap destroying the binding structures of the virus and thereby deactivating it, while washing hands should hold good for clothes and dishes. Haven't heard anyone suggest washing hands with hot water yet.

Meanwhile, a woman without any foriegn travel history tests positive in pune.

https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...-pune/1905303/

Are these first indication of community spread in India?

I am worried for my parents. My dad is 65 years old and has a history of heart disease. My uncle is in the ICU (not related to n-COVID19) and dad insists to visit the hospital every other day. I have tried to explain the need to stay at home, but it is difficult to make him understand when his own brother is admitted.

I keep reminding him the need to follow precautions keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

Last edited by vibbs : 21st March 2020 at 14:22.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 14:18   #992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And in other news, the ISKCON temple in Juhu ran out of hand sanitizer, so they used gaumutra instead.
There are those in the world who do odd things with human urine.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 14:28   #993
AZT
BHPian

Google has launched a special website for Covid 19, very informative.
https://www.google.com/covid19/

Other global statistics:
Canada - Canada has 925 cases of the COVID-19 respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus, and 12 deaths.A preliminary model published by Canadian researchers this week estimated that if cases increase by 7.5 percent each day, Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, will run out of ICU beds and ventilators in about 37 days.Between Sunday and Thursday, daily case counts grew an average of 16% a day
Source - https://in.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idUSKBN2173CL

Italy - In its most complete analysis of the outbreak yet published, the national health institute (ISS) said the average age of those who died was 78.5 years, with the youngest victim aged 31 and the oldest 103. The median age was 80.Some 41% of all those who died were aged between 80-89, with the 70-79 age group accounting for a further 35%.

By comparison, the median age of those who tested positive for the illness was 63.A deeper analysis of 481 of the deceased showed that almost 99% of them were suffering from one or more medical condition before catching the virus. Some 48.6% had three or more previous pathologies.A total 73.8% had had high blood pressure, 34% had diabetes and 30.1% had heart disease.
On being admitted to hospital, 76% had a fever, 73% had breathing difficulties, 40% had a cough and 8% had diarrhea.The median time between the onset of the first symptoms and subsequent death was eight days, with the median time spent in hospital just four days.Of the 3,200 deaths reviewed in the survey, only nine were aged less than 40, all but one of them men.

Source - https://in.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idINKBN2172VL

Last edited by AZT : 21st March 2020 at 14:41.
AZT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 15:50   #994
Team-BHP Support

Stricter safe distancing measures here in Singapore includes 1m distance between customers in queue (say at a cash counter in supermarkets). I guess almost every establishments worked through the night to put up these safety stripes on the floor.

The Coronavirus Thread-fb_img_1584785708826.jpg

And a notice in front of the public library in the neighbourhood

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200321_113506.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st March 2020 at 15:53. Reason: Photos added
vb-saan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 16:03   #995
BHPian

As I understand this, you have to be already hospitalised and symptomatic to get tested. And you must have directly met with a confirmed case in order to be tested.

So its not like you have symptoms and you go and get tested.

So what changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Testing criteria has been updated to include symptoms without travel history and asymptomatic contacts/highrisk. Expect a massive hike in number of positive cases. Don't think we can actually stop the spread now without a national lockdown.

All/most of the hospital owners & staff in districts and tier 2 towns have been contacted by health authorities (dmho, collectors, health min office..etc) to prepare for isolation facilities here in telangana. Preparations for the worst are going on at full swing at all levels (private as well as public hospitals). We have already cancelled all non-essential & elective procedures, however the general public is yet to understand this and want to get treated as they have got 'holidays' now.

PS: My only hope at this moment is that somehow the spread will be contained magically and mortality won't be as bad as other countries. Attaching the new testing criteria.
nandadevieast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 17:21   #996
BHPian

* am not a doctor/ researcher *

Whether hot weather kills carona virus:
- in tropics, during summer, UV radiation is high which can kill the virus (if exposed to direct Sun)
- during summers, people movement anyway is less around midday, which may prevent contagion to some extent
- but during evenings, people may again crowd the streets which is when virus can spread fast
- UV radiation only lasts for maybe 8-9 hours a day. Rest of the time, virus can still spread around. And temperatures too maynot be that high for atleast half of the day
- during the time of Spanish Flu, contagion lasted for 2 years in India regardless of the seasons

This variant of Carona virus have undergone multiple mutations to adapt to various hosts and environment.

Due to above all reasons, there is not much hope that our summer may bring any relief. We must be cautious and maintain healthy habits for a few months to come.
deetee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 17:26   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
As I understand this, you have to be already hospitalised and symptomatic to get tested. And you must have directly met with a confirmed case in order to be tested.

So its not like you have symptoms and you go and get tested.

So what changes?
The change is that, all hospitalised patients with Severe acute respiratory illness will now have to be tested for COVID-19 as well. Until date, such patients who screened negative for COVID-19 ( as per the standard guideline and questionnaire ) but had obvious severe acute respiratory illness were admitted and tested only for other bacterial and viral infections. For an instance, in such severe patients, we used to send the broncheoalveolar aspirate sample for "biofire"/pneumonia panel testing, which includes an array of bacteria and viruses but NOT "Sars-Cov2" that causes COVID-19.

But henceforth, apart from the routine pneumonia panel, we are instructed to get the COVID-19 testing done as well. The travel history and contact history is now redundant for hospitalised patients with severe acute respiratory illness. This comes in the wake of imminent community transmission. The part highlighted in bold is the "change".

However, I personally have been advising walk-in patients with respiratory illness hailing from a certain region which I suspect is a potential cluster, to get tested. Well, still not advising every other flu patient to get tested for COVID-19, but only a certain subset of people coming from a certain region.

- Dr. Vivek

Last edited by vivek95 : 21st March 2020 at 17:30. Reason: Spell check and highlighting
vivek95 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 17:59   #998
BHPian

The streets in Calcutta still have vehicles, temples have people, shops are open, lots of car accessory shops near our home are teeming with customers.

My own wife is still working from office because their crap IT infrastructure doesn't work when WFH. They're working 18 hour workdays to help their org formulate it's financial strategy but hey the employees are expendables!

It's a horrible horrible situation seeing people taking things so casually.

The governments should have imposed a lock down weeks ago. Weeks! In trying to protect people from panic, a false or misguided sense of complacency has set in. People are not realizing what's at stake

We don't have anywhere near enough hospitals to accommodate the number of people. No temporary facilities are being set up. Stadiums should have been converted to hospitals by now

I'm tearing my hair out. Been reading on reddit first hand accounts from China since early January. One country after another repeating the same mistakes, the same attempts at managing optics and not the situation, the same information opacity from the public, and the same lackadaisical nature of the people.

We are hurtling towards a crash and its like watching it in slow motion over and over again.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 21st March 2020 at 18:03.
digitalnirvana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 18:01   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Right now one major concern is some people believing Indians have some special immunity or promoting pseudo science or that because of our climate this virus will not be able to spread here.
They should ideally shut the Ayush ministry down, at least for the duration of this crisis.

Far from promoting research into Ayurveda and identifying new compounds from traditional herbal cures (this continues to be a perennially interesting field, such as Tu Ouyang winning a nobel for similar work on Chinese medicine), they're instead laser focused on promoting pseudo cures such as Homeo pills and funding research on the curative properties of gaumutra.
hserus is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 18:15   #1000
Senior - BHPian

A decent / average vegetation restaurant puts a stand in front with hand sanitiser and tissues with a big board "Let's break the chain". A guy parks his car and walks into the restaurant without any heed to the sanitiser/ stand/ big board.

Didn't venture into the restaurant but the substantial efforts put in by some people and the exact opposite by most others was apparent.

Last edited by AMG Power : 21st March 2020 at 18:16.
AMG Power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 18:18   #1001
BHPian

Which medicines one should stock for coming week or 2, just in case of flu like symptoms.
we are family of 6 ( 4 adults out of which 2 are senior citizens, 1 kid and 1 new born ).
- parents have their BP medicine for a month.
- I planning to get Crocin tablets and Syrups.
- what else? Anything for cough/cold for Adults?
Old 21st March 2020, 18:28   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
They should ideally shut the Ayush ministry down, at least for the duration of this crisis.

Far from promoting research into Ayurveda and identifying new compounds from traditional herbal cures (this continues to be a perennially interesting field, such as Tu Ouyang winning a nobel for similar work on Chinese medicine), they're instead laser focused on promoting pseudo cures such as Homeo pills and funding research on the curative properties of gaumutra.
This is what you will get if scientific ministries are handled by a minister who graduated with a BA degree in a non-technical subject and headed by a bureaucrat from the railway service.

God bless our country where lakhs of PhD students with publications and degrees in immunology related subjects wait for months for their stipends because "funds are not available" and people without any basic training in the discipline go on to head ministries because of their loyalty. This won't happen even in the wildest countries of sub Saharan Africa.
Nissan1180 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 18:57   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

India's Covid-19 count shoots to 324.

Maharashtra reports 12 new cases taking the state's total now at 64.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 19:31   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
My own wife is still working from office because their crap IT infrastructure doesn't work when WFH.
I am a teacher in a government institution in Karnataka. The kids are having holiday while thousands of teachers have to goto school everyday to fly kites from 10 to 5. Though central & state government are recomending halt to this absurdity, the bureaucracy is proving to be the cog in the wheel.

People in responsible position should consider this on war footing and proactively help in breaking the chain or else the blood will be on their hands pretty soon and we will do the best India is known for: blame others
doxinboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 20:08   #1005
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, today there is a steep upsurge of numbers of infected person in India. Stage 3 is in motion now?
Stage 3 requires spread into the populace on its own. Thus even Ms Kapoor does not take us into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
She stays at the same apartment complex as my cousin sister and I got a forwarded video of her being taken away in an ambulance. Word on the street is she did violate self isolation and had attended multiple parties and also sang there. A FIR has been filed against her.
I know the family pretty well. She arrived in India (Mumbai) on the 9th. Apparently UK was not on the list then. However by all accounts she was tested and Informed on the 14th.

So the song parties are all after this date. No excuses acceptable.

Remember the UK had taken a Herd Immunity approach, though they have now clamped down.

She stayed in Taj Vivanta (her parents had moved only three days earlier). Then she sang in two or three parties, incl one by Mr Ahmed (a powerful politician) to celebrate the birth of his grandson. She visited Kanpur to meet her maternal uncle. The family is in Mahanagar, Lucknow, her uncle is in Vishnupuri, Kanpur. She came in contact with at least four ladies in their eighties. I know most of the names but am refraining.

She had visited her dermatologist, hairdresser, and a boutique. I expect about 400-500 people came in her contact.

One aside, the blood report says, Kanika Kapoor, Male, age 28!
sgiitk is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks