Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 13:08   #2986
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Seeing your post, I Google'd it. Didn't throw up any result. Upon digging on the Amazon website, found that it is only available on Mobile Browsers !! Da Heck !

I would prefer BigBasket till this one matures to All browsers (and not just mobile).
Why oh why only on mobile browsers? Why are all these guys moving to mobile apps or browsers? But seriously...
Old 31st March 2015, 23:33   #2987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet
a refurb website for India and it includes sale of refurbished Redmi 1S phones
Overcart looks as if it could be interesting. Any general impressions on how good the bargains actually are?
Old 31st March 2015, 23:53   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Xiaomi has launched a refurb website for India and it includes sale of refurbished Redmi 1S phones (again a flash sale requiring registration) for Rs.4599.

This is the website http://www.overcart.com/mi-redmi and they also sell other refurb electronics.
Are you sure the website is Xiaomi's? Because I remember reading about overcart being an Indian startup.

Anyways, had a great experience with Snapdeal. Had a 20 month old Lumia 520 which I needed to upgrade. Saw a deal on the Lumia 630 for Rs ~4990 with an exchange offer.
Now the exchange offer was a fun deal. Its a tie up with a waste mgmt company called Reglobe.
So here is how it worked

I paid the entire amount to Snapdeal.
Before that they quoted ~1300 for my Lumia 520 (with a million T and C)
A reglobe appointment was made
The new phone was delivered
A guy visited my house and inspected the phone. Took it with him and paid 1300 cash.

Net upgrade cost ~ 3700
Time taken for entire transaction: Around 72 hours

Now the reglobe had further out sourced the deal. The guy who came to my place was a phone repair guy from HausKhaz. He said they dont refurbish phones but just use the phone for parts.
Old 1st April 2015, 02:21   #2989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the website is Xiaomi's? Because I remember reading about overcart being an Indian startup.
Looks like it is a general dealer, which such a wide selection of goods and brands.
Old 1st April 2015, 09:46   #2990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Looks like it is a general dealer, which such a wide selection of goods and brands.
Yes. You guys are right. This is an independent website. Sorry for creating the confusion.
Old 1st April 2015, 10:13   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
GearBest

3 Mar: Ordered an SJCAM M10 camera for ~$77
10 Mar: Sent them a message asking for dispatch details since it had been a week since I had paid. Got a response that item was out of stock and I could choose anything else from store. Declined and asked for a full refund.
12 Mar: Got the refund message
14 Mar: Amount credited back to credit card account.

Though the item was out of stock, they still showed it as available. That said, I would rate their CS better than Aliexpress and was lighting quick if you compare them with either AE or DX.

Banggood

After getting good recommendation from fellow members, ordered the M10 from here.

Mar 18: Order placed
Mar 20: Got shipping info
Mar 24: Tracking number became active and could see the package left SG
Mar 27: Delivered

I was surprised with the delivery time, expecting something similar to Aliexpress (30 days min). Packaging could have been better but thankfully, it all arrived to me in one piece, so no complaints.
Hey. That cam does look good. Which version did you buy. Did you buy the one with all the accessories i.e retailing for 88 US on the site or did you buy the one with only the clip retailing at 68 USD. Also did you have to pay any duty for the same?
Old 1st April 2015, 15:31   #2992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Hey. That cam does look good. Which version did you buy. Did you buy the one with all the accessories i.e retailing for 88 US on the site or did you buy the one with only the clip retailing at 68 USD. Also did you have to pay any duty for the same?
That's a typo - the cost. I bought one with only the clip mount. Bought the windshield mount separately. Costed me ~$67. No duty paid, seller had declared the item value ~$22.
Old 6th April 2015, 12:49   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Can some one explain the logic behind moves such as these??
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/46818792.cms
I am not at all comfortable with mobile net or mobile app for making online purchases? Why are these companies forcing customer to move to mobile? This is unheard of even in developed economies. I may completely boycott eCommerce sites if this turns out true.
Old 6th April 2015, 13:22   #2994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am not at all comfortable with mobile net or mobile app for making online purchases? Why are these companies forcing customer to move to mobile? This is unheard of even in developed economies. I may completely boycott eCommerce sites if this turns out true.
Maybe they want to show different prices to different customers. Though it is possible on web, it is very easy on mobile. Or it could be just Filpkart wants to shutdown Myntra.

I am not fan of this move. Browser is a well tested (for application & security bugs) piece of software. No idea how secure is the mobile app. It could send payment, account details in plain text. There is no way of knowing.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:04   #2995
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
I am not making a case for the move or arguing their case. But, there are some points to ponder.

1. Broadband penetration is low while mobile internet penetration is huge in India. Most of the e-commerce companies are driving revenues (specially fashion) from Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities where mobile internet rules the roost.

2. Surprisingly, mobile traffic and conversions are higher. If an industry veteran is to be believed its more than 70% (the share of traffic and conversion)

3. IAMAI data suggests that we will be crossing 650 million smart phone users in the next few years. Thus, mobile-first and mobile-only seems like a really viable proposition.

4. If your notifications are not turned off, companies find it easier to push offers to you, instead of using e(snail)mail which you most probably will ignore. Even things like price drops on your favorite product or targeted offers will be easier to push to your notifications bar.

5. Anytime shopping! Feeding our impulsive nature of purchases.

7. Purely from a cost perspective, maintaining the website/mobile website to be consistent with mobile-first design might have been a factor for them (speculating)

There might be some other data points which surely must have been considered, would love to get some views on the same from the gurus.

Last edited by Mik : 6th April 2015 at 14:06.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:11   #2996
Distinguished - BHPian

Another reason for the mobile-app mania is its spam potential. Every time I turn my tablet on I find a heap of Flipkart notifications.

EDIT: today there ar enone, so I have to admit this is an exaggeration <Blush> but it is a common experience. I wonder if there is a way to turn it off.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th April 2015 at 14:12.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:18   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What works for developed countries needn't work for India and vice versa. The answer to your question is already in the article you quoted:

"Currently, Myntra draws as much as 80% of its traffic and 70% of sales from its mobile app"

And also, from here:

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/213482.html

1. Over 50 per cent of our Internet users are "mobile only".

2. The next 200 million Internet users - as we go from 300 million to 500 million - will access Internet only through mobile phones.

If these are all true, then it totally makes sense to go mobile-only.

Your discomfort with m-commerce: I don't see why, and it is possibly just fear of the unknown; if you were to list the reasons for your fear maybe those could be alleviated. Boycotting e-commerce completely sounds to me like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:29   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another reason for the mobile-app mania is its spam potential. Every time I turn my tablet on I find a heap of Flipkart notifications.

EDIT: today there ar enone, so I have to admit this is an exaggeration <Blush> but it is a common experience. I wonder if there is a way to turn it off.
That's very simple.

When a Flipkart (or any other spam) notification pops up, long press on it and App info will pop up. Tap on that and you’ll be taken to the app management screen where you can uncheck the Show notifications box.

All notifications from that app will be turned off.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:44   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Your discomfort with m-commerce: I don't see why, and it is possibly just fear of the unknown; if you were to list the reasons for your fear maybe those could be alleviated. Boycotting e-commerce completely sounds to me like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
May be I am old fashioned. I am not comfortable with mobile phone other than calling and checking and replying very important mails. For everything else I switch to my laptop. It is not a fear of unknown, but a matter of convenience of seeing and scrolling things in bigger screen, using mouse for pointing and typing on a physical keyboard.
I greatly doubt the date given out by the eCommerce companies. I work in a IT company and yet to find a friend or colleague who orders on mobile phone. I thought these are the most tech savy people who orders heavily on ecommerce sites. Then who else are these people who are ordering in droves on mobiles?
College Kids? House wives? I have no idea.
Do we have figures on 3G/4G users in India? Min 3G is required for a good mobile internet experience. So I suspect most of the mobile data may be originating from broadband WiFi itself.
Lot of chatter is going on for net neutrality. Time to talk about device neutrality also.

Last edited by poloman : 6th April 2015 at 14:53.
Old 6th April 2015, 15:19   #3000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
That's very simple.

When a Flipkart (or any other spam) notification pops up, long press on it and App info will pop up. Tap on that and you’ll be taken to the app management screen where you can uncheck the Show notifications box.

All notifications from that app will be turned off.
Thanks. After posting I realised much the same, and accessed it via Settings -> Apps. Often the answer to a question comes after asking someone else!

I notice that Junglee and Amazon have a setting within the app, but if Flipkart do, I couldn't find it. Looks like they win the prize for being invasive!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks