Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you / are you going to install the Aarogya Setu app?
Yes, I already have or I will shortly 293 49.00%
No, I do not plan to 305 51.00%
Voters: 598. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 12:22   #211
BHPian

Re: The Aarogya Setu App : Yes or No?

I think the poll should have had 3 options.

1. I will Install - I trust the app and the intent.
2. I do not want to Install but am forced to - due to regulations set either by Government or my work place.
3. I will not Install - I have privacy and/or other concerns.

This, perhaps would have given a much more accurate picture.
sachinayak is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 14:02   #212
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Aarogya Setu’s data can be shared with myriad government units, say new protocol

Read More: https://www.livemint.com/technology/...218334739.html
So the things foreseen by the so called anti nationals seems to be coming true. With each passing day, more categories of people will be forced to have the app and the privacy footprint will keep changing. The data will be freely available to the govt. and to everyone else.

Somebody mentioned that we should not let a crisis go waste. Looks like the govt. is taking this to heart. They are using the pandemic to push this app on everyone.
m8002? is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 13:56   #213
BHPian

So there have been quite a few developments on this over the last couple of days.

After the privacy aspects made news from the “hacking” proof of concept published by this guy and from the 2/5 ranking awarded by MITs report, the government released some details on policies governing the retention and sharing of data:
MeitY notifies Aarogya Setu app data access rules

But apparently it only serves to further cement and maybe even validate the privacy concerns:
We Studied the Protocol: And No This Doesn’t Sufficiently Protect Your Privacy

Some glaring examples of how different authorities have already been releasing barely anonymized information came to light:
Not to forget, the efficacy of using this as the primary means of contact tracing is still an open question:
Nearly 40% of Icelanders are using a covid app—and it hasn’t helped much
Quote:
..there have been instances where the data was useful, but that the impact of automated tracing has been exaggerated by people eager to find technological solutions to the pandemic.
The issue is also in courts now but it is as we know, a relatively slow process:
Kerala High Court hears challenges against mandatory imposition of Aarogya Setu

Nevertheless, this hasn’t stopped anyone from moving forward:
It’s difficult to stop a juggernaut but it deserves a try.
Gautam Buddh Nagar Police said it will seek legal advice after residents of Noida and Greater Noida challenged the order to make Aarogya Setu Mandatory

Got a bit link heavy near the end but i guess citations are always helpful.
theMandarin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:13   #214
Senior - BHPian

I have maintained for some time (actually from the time of Aadhar becoming practically mandatory, and talk of making Aadhar mandatory for plane/ train tickets) that anonymous travel in India would become increasingly difficult, if not impossible, much like in China.

Normally the steps are
User convenience
Public safety
National security.

Corona has allowed step 1 to be entirely bypassed, and adoption instead of going sector by sector, has gone all India with a big bang. And with a level of granularity/ precision which boggles the mind.

Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 14th May 2020 at 20:42.
Sutripta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:07   #215
AZT
BHPian

This happened 2 weeks back, not sure if this got mass media coverage

Security lapse at India’s Jio exposed coronavirus symptom checker results
Quote:
India’s largest cell network Jio, a subsidiary of Reliance, launched its coronavirus self-test symptom checker in late March, just before the Indian government imposed a strict nationwide lockdown to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus. The symptom checker allows anyone to check their symptoms from their phone or Jio’s website to see if they may have become infected with COVID-19.

But a security lapse exposed one of the symptom checker’s core databases to the internet without a password, TechCrunch has found. Security researcher Anurag Sen found the database on May 1, just after it was first exposed, and informed TechCrunch to notify the company. Jio quickly pulled the system offline after TechCrunch made contact. It’s not known if anyone else accessed the database.

The database contains millions of logs and records starting April 17 through to the time that the database was pulled offline. Although the server contained a running log of website errors and other system messages, it also ingested vast numbers of user-generated self-test data. Each self-test was logged in the database and included a record of who took the test — such as “self” or a relative, their age, and their gender.

The data also included the person’s user agent, a small snippet of information about the user’s browser version and the operating system, often used to load the website properly but can also be used to track a user’s online activity.

The database also contains individual records of those who signed up to create a profile, allowing users to update their symptoms over time. These records contained the answers to each question asked by the symptom checker, including what symptoms they are experiencing, who they have been in contact with, and what health conditions they may have.
Some of the records also contained the user’s precise location, but only if the user allowed the symptom checker access to their browser or phone’s location data.
Read More: https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/02/ji...ecurity-lapse/

Last edited by AZT : 15th May 2020 at 11:09.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 18:19   #216
BHPian

The law minister Mr.Prasad :

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...626-2020-05-16

"If anyone has any issue with the Arogya Setu app, then do not download it." Interesting.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 16th May 2020 at 18:21.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 18:28   #217
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Don't download, and you will not be able to move around in India. Your choice. No one is forcing you! In any case it was for your own safety.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 18:40   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Don't download, and you will not be able to move around in India. Your choice. No one is forcing you! In any case it was for your own safety.

Sutripta
Exactly so!

In addition to this, there is another app, that is being forced upon, on school children in UP, "AYUSH KAVACH". It has been rolled out about a week back.
The parents have to declare that the child has been registered on the app. My son has had to declare himself "worthy"; for both the setu and the kavach!

Last edited by Sheel : 17th May 2020 at 06:23. Reason: Removing unnecessary name calling.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 23:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
The law minister Mr.Prasad :

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...626-2020-05-16

"If anyone has any issue with the Arogya Setu app, then do not download it." Interesting.
Interesting indeed.

And now this is making the news:
Government employees mandated to download Arogya Setu app in Srinagar - The Hindu

Quote:
Deputy Commissioner-Srinagar Dr. Shahid Iqbal Chowdhary has directed Drawing and Disbursing Officers (DDOs) to obtain a certificate that they had downloaded the Arogya Setu mobile application before the release of salary to all government employees, with the effect that all government employees working under his administrative control have installed the app on their mobile phones.
Freedom of speech.

Read a tweet about residential RWA mandating the app. Link
Has anyone here experienced anything similar?

Last edited by theMandarin : 16th May 2020 at 23:41.
theMandarin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 23:40   #220
BHPian

At my wife's office, one of the MNCs, they are trying to have 30% or so occupancy and all employees are required to install the app before coming in. There was no "or else" clause in the communication though!

At my office, we might be on WFH for another 2-months (at least). There is no communication yet on installing the app.

At my apartment complex, no one seems to be too interested in the app - no serious discussion has yet taken place. So far I have avoided installing the app and yet to face any issues on that account.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 09:02   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the government has listened to what people are saying:

https://tech.economictimes.indiatime...anies/75795241

That's a good step, kudos to them. Must also appreciate those who were vocal about the shortcomings of the app, without which the government would not have modified their guidelines.
Old 18th May 2020, 09:46   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Looks like the government has listened to what people are saying:

https://tech.economictimes.indiatime...anies/75795241

That's a good step, kudos to them. Must also appreciate those who were vocal about the shortcomings of the app, without which the government would not have modified their guidelines.
Sorry sir. A government that has categorically stated that the constitution doesn't guarantee the right to privacy for individuals in India isn't about to do a u turn on that.

This is more likely due to the increased scrutiny the app received but more importantly just because businesses have been asking for this relaxation to start to their offices. No senior executive wants to held responsible for his company employees to mandatorily download the app.

Now that is something I can believe. This government will update guidelines to make it easy for businessmen.
JithinR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 09:56   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
This government will update guidelines to make it easy for businessmen.
Fair enough, I had the same thought, but at least they are listening to businesses, that is something. If this makes it easier for businesses to open again and start providing employment to people waiting to work, good for all of us. Frankly, at this point I'm just looking for any positive news!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:56   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

MIT downgrades Aarogya app to 1 out of 5 stars

Quote:
NEW DELHI: India's contact tracing app, Aarogya Setu, made compulsory for air travel on Thursday, met with another setback as researchers at MIT downgraded it's rating from two to one out of five stars. India further lost points on the parameter of "data minimisation", which means the app collects more data than the information it needs for the purpose of contact tracing.
Source - https://m.timesofindia.com/india/mit...w/75881615.cms
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 19:02   #225
BHPian

FYI!

Aarogya Setu Android Version source code to be released by K. VijayRaghavan (Principal Scientific Adviser, Govt. of India), Amitabh Kant (CEO, Niti Aayog) & Dr. Neeta Verma (Director General, NIC) in a press conference.

Let's see how things move forward.

Last edited by theMandarin : 26th May 2020 at 19:04.
theMandarin is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks