Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you / are you going to install the Aarogya Setu app?
Yes, I already have or I will shortly 293 49.00%
No, I do not plan to 305 51.00%
Voters: 598. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2020, 21:41   #106
BHPian

Re: The Aarogya Setu App : Yes or No?

Well I installed the app, but since I am in a red zone and always indoors the reading never really changed for me throughout my use of the app.

What did change however was my phones battery life, it is pretty abysmal to begin with, and then this app insists on keeping bluetooth on constantly for some reason depleting the battery before 3pm every day.

Even if you switch off the bluetooth manually, it turns it back on every 3 minutes.

Have uninstalled for now, might reinstall once I start heading out.
Old 5th May 2020, 22:01   #107
BHPian

I did install the app when govt first released it, I uninstalled it for the following reasons,

1. Any app that depends on human input to determine the probability of a likely event like covid spread is going to have a low probability of success. For various reasons, very likely a good % of users might not declare that they may be sick.
2. I don't see any technical language, specifically on how they intend to use bluetooth and gps location data.

If govt does redo the app, I hope they take a look at the Google Apple contact tracing api. I think they made a good choice of letting health authorities entering a unique key for each test the user takes.

Ultimately, for me, the app should alert the user if they likely came in contact with a covid positive patient with minimal user input and the aarogya setu app fails in that regard.

Last edited by pradeepkc : 5th May 2020 at 22:27. Reason: Needed correction
pradeepkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 22:15   #108
BHPian

Voted No. The very fact that it is being shoved down my throat makes me hate it.
veyron_head is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 22:57   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
How would the organization know if you have the app before crediting salary? Do you have to physically show it or send a screenshot? If so, what prevents an employee from uninstalling it afterwards?

How would taking a self test every time you step out keep you safe from the virus? If anything, it would lead to needless panic if millions of users reported sick and others saw them all around them. As you know this virus shares the same symptoms as the flu, common cold and influenza. There is no proven technique to outsmart the virus apart from general social distancing, avoiding crowded places, washing hands before touching your face and wearing a mask when you are near other people. I fail to see why you believe having this app improves your chances in any way? We all know the symptoms by now. If we get a fever or cough or severe chills and body ache, we would get worried and would try to get tested if we feel really sick. What would the app do?
It just a screenshot on the phone..whether you register on the app or not is another question. No one is looking at it. Just that the app should be installed.

I don't know about others but I am tired of these covid messages now. Anything and everything has it.

This may be but I will let the mods decide. My 18 month old daughter was sick last week and sickness lasted for 24 hours. I called the nearest private hospital and they said first test will be of covid and only when it is cleared, she will be administered medicines. We never took her to hospital and tried the "desi" medicines and she was fine next day. Every cough/cold/fever is not covid and the panic around this should be avoided.
sunnsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 23:56   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Elliot at it again. This time it's Aarogya Setu

The Aarogya Setu App : Yes or No?-20200505_192407.jpg

Source

Last edited by Dry Ice : 5th May 2020 at 23:57. Reason: Link
Dry Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 23:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post

Having a sense of civic duty does not mean that we accept a sub-par solution. We should expect more from our elected representatives, even during a pandemic.
Breaking Quarantine and spreading virus thus putting life of others and economy of whole country was highly immoral act and tag instead of rubber stamp is a better way.

Here people never got tired of praising South Korea for containment efforts or even Singapore without going in to how enforcement is done in these countries but want to live in a liberal utopia.

Based on my numerous travels to Korea since 2001 I can safelt say what is normal lifestyle there will be draconian for a few here. And it starts from Plant and Animal Quarantine videos before flight lands and at the customs in normal days. This they adopted after foot and mouth disease spread in cattle in 90s.
Here is short summary of how they did it

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-s...k-2020-4%3famp

Be assured nothing works on polite requests and Korean apps were not very different when it comes to privacy.
Old 6th May 2020, 00:49   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Breaking Quarantine and spreading virus thus putting life of others and economy of whole country was highly immoral act and tag instead of rubber stamp is a better way.

Here people never got tired of praising South Korea for containment efforts or even Singapore without going in to how enforcement is done in these countries but want to live in a liberal utopia.
I'm not sure whom you're referring to about breaking quarantine because i certainly did not.

Thank you for mentioning South Korea, it nudged me to research more.
I found this interesting tit-bit in their disease prevention act which is available here: INFECTIOUS DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION ACT.

Allow me to quote a rule from CHAPTER XI SUPPLEMENTARY PROVISIONS > Article 76-2 (Request to Provide Information, etc.) > (4) which is part of this act:

Quote:
(4) No person provided with information pursuant to paragraph (3) shall use such information for any purpose, other than conducting tasks related to infectious diseases under this Act, and shall, without delay, destroy all information when the relevant tasks are completed and inform the Minister of Health and Welfare thereof.
What more could anyone ask for.

The following video shows the bigger picture on what they did to make contact tracing successful(in addition to the app):
theMandarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 02:11   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I may be wrong but it seems you're missing the point.
Hanlon's razor for the win, friend. Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to bureaucracy, stupidity or just lack of user empathy or a different world view. Most of us barely fully understand our own families - to delve into the mindsets of the multi disciplinary that went in for an app to secure 1.3 billion is nigh impossible. So why not start from a trusting KIND approach?

Quote:
Try switching off GPS and using any mapping application, it is still accurate enough within a 1 KM radius or less depending on the specific area you are in. Then why do you need that information to be accurate within a margin of 10 meters? Accuracy is needed for risk assessment and from what i have gathered, Bluetooth is a best fit for this requirement. The bottom line being that using a setup that relies on extremely high accuracy is overkill for the stated goal of the tool.

Having a sense of civic duty does not mean that we accept a sub-par solution. We should expect more from our elected representatives, even during a pandemic.
Fundamentally agree to disagree. We are in a representative democracy - it is not Asian paints that the government must give "mera wala app".

Here's how I see it - I could be wrong but I see the designers wanting to plot more accurate paths for easier contact tracing. Sub-par? NO Overkill? Maybe? but we are in a pandemic and given the at-scale nationwide stupidity demonstrated by our liquor lovers, can we give the designers the benefit of doubt and assume the absence of malice until proven conclusively? YES PLEASE!
In your world view - Bluetooth pings indicate that I came near theMandarin. That is necessary and sufficient to prevent a pandemic, as per you.

In a hypothetical world view informed by limited uptake (even Singapore is under 20% usage) / large feature phone base - Bluetooth pings indicate that I came near theMandarin and the location trace tells the government that the venue was barber shop Y. Then the government can ask the owner and staff of shop Y to undertake precautions as well, and use CCTV footage to identify Mr Z and Mr AA who happened to use the same seat right after me as well. More pings = more contacts found with lesser human intervention. Again - would you rather that govt creates lakhs of contact tracer jobs OR that money goes to the poor? Its OUR (rapidly dwindling) tax money my friend. What would you choose?
The Aarogya Setu App : Yes or No?-cdc.jpg

Is it overkill? Maybe
Is it evil? Certainly not
Could it have been better? Possibly
Can we live with this considering Instagram needs my voice recording permission for even text stories? Hell yeah!
Can we trust the government and give them the leeway in dealing with this ill behaved country that doesn't understand the first thing about social distancing? Yes please.

Again, context. I don't like this level of intrusion myself but hey, a pandemic is raging and I would be grateful if we kept our distrust aside and helped our parents' generation not die! Please?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 02:38   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So why not start from a trusting KIND approach?

Again, context. I don't like this level of intrusion myself but hey, a pandemic is raging and I would be grateful if we kept our distrust aside and helped our parents' generation not die! Please?
Trust needs to be earned and we often judge intentions on basis of a person's actions and conduct in the past.

If i may quote myself again:

Quote:
(4) No person provided with information pursuant to paragraph (3) shall use such information for any purpose, other than conducting tasks related to infectious diseases under this Act, and shall, without delay, destroy all information when the relevant tasks are completed and inform the Minister of Health and Welfare thereof.
Giving such an assurance does not cost any resources even during a pandemic, especially when it can instill a sense of trust which is greatly needed to work together to come out of a calamity.

But we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by theMandarin : 6th May 2020 at 02:48.
theMandarin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 03:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust needs to be earned and we often judge intentions on basis of a person's actions and conduct in the past.
I have no faith in the Indian government or its various departments - but unlike you I believe in falling in line .... because its a pandemic.

Quote:
But we can agree to disagree.
To each their own. Ideal
I hope other readers of this thread duly consider - crores of lives hang in the balance.

I may sound jingoistic but there's a practical cost in human lives that happens when we sit back smug in our judgment at the government's ineptitude or evil designs or [insert appropriate adjective]

Imperfect it may be, but it has the potential to save far more lives than without it. I cannot sleep well knowing I let my skepticism came in my way as a good citizen.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 03:32   #116
BHPian

Voted yes.

The app is not upto the mark and is quite a drain on the battery too, but it is the right way forward.
It will give accurate information if everyone uses this app just like the way Google map works. Even Google maps were stupid during its startup phase and Nokia maps were much better. Just last year, a man created an artificial traffic jam by putting 99 smartphones on a hand cart and then pushing the cart on the street.
I'm not concerned about privacy as Google and other tech titans have already robbed me of that. Check permissions for apps on your phone to get an idea. And information stored on Google servers isn't 100% secured as well. Lots of information find its way to the deep web from the servers of tech giants which they themselves acknowledge after years of denial.
Tucker48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 04:43   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am curious as to the source of your confidence. Maybe you can share the game plan. I'd be the first one to delete the app if there's a proven technique to outsmart the virus and be one of those mildly infected individuals.
There isn't. But if you live your entire life in fear, you will never go anywhere or do anything. You can get run over crossing the road, so does that mean you never cross a road. In fact, you can have an accident at home. Slip in the bathroom thanks to soap and water for example.

I choose to not worry and just try to be as smart and safe as possible while still living my normal life.

I suppose it also helps that nobody is immortal, so I have accepted that I won't live forever. No, I don't want to die tomorrow, but being cooped up avoiding everything is a worse alternative than living life smart with risks but enjoying it.
pganapathy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 08:08   #118
BHPian

These apps are best suited for small and smart countries like South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore where most people are sensible & behave responsibly not in India where most don't know much about technology and don't care either.

Is everyone on the street wearing a Mask? Is everyone following Social Distancing? Does everyone know about Hygiene? No right? So how can an app change the behaviour of People?
CarNerd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 08:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
These apps are best suited for small and smart countries like South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore where most people are sensible & behave responsibly not in India where most don't know much about technology and don't care either.

Is everyone on the street wearing a Mask? Is everyone following Social Distancing? Does everyone know about Hygiene? No right? So how can an app change the behaviour of People?
Please get rid of the myth that people in small countries like Singapore behave responsibly. Like everywhere else in Asia, the strong (but silent) hand of the government is at work.There are plenty of cases in Singapore of irrational behaviour the moment there was some relaxation in the lockdown. The bottom line is, your life can be smooth there, just dont protest or criticize much.
Old 6th May 2020, 08:36   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Elliot at it again. This time it's Aarogya Setu

Attachment 2002474

Source
Official response
https://mobile.twitter.com/SetuAarog...55315614801921

They are encouraging the reporting vulnerabilities , perhaps a bug bounty program could be of help....
Attached Thumbnails
The Aarogya Setu App : Yes or No?-exrxakdvaaavy6m.jpeg  

Last edited by vik99 : 6th May 2020 at 08:38.
vik99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks