Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 20:16   #91
BHPian

Re: The Depression Thread: Let's openly talk about this elephant in the room

Hi guys, I just found this thread and would like to share my feelings.

Back in 2016 , I was in 11th standard when a really big question hit me. What of the future ? While I was sure I wanted to do mechanical engineering but still it hut me hard even if I do that would I be able to survive later. I am an average kid from an average family and *touchwood* there is no financial stress or family pressure over me ( I am thankful for this). I was still very scared of the future and being the introvert I am I didn't share this with anybody and tried to fight it on my own and it got really bad.

So much that I absolutely flunked the entrance exams due to the other mental stress I was going through. Got into an average clg through my contacts. But even when I was in engineering I was always scared of the future. This time tried reaching out to friends and they were very helpful in providing me hope for the first few phases but after a point even they gave up. This stress (I am not sure if I should call it depression) started to get even worse and started affecting my academics.

Due to this got a really bad result in my second year and that I believe was my turning point. I started to believe that if I am tensed about the future I need to prepare in the present. Started focusing on some extra courses cleared them gave myself some confidence. Tried new things such as learning a new language or exercising. It did get better for a while but these phases of depression really kept coming back. In these phases I used to run away from it and find solace in watching web series as a result of which watched 62 web series in a span of 1 year. There was nothing in life I was looking forward to.

Fast forward to my final year and manage to improve my grades a lot and was able to apply for the companies in placement season. At the same time applied for tbhp membership for the second time and got approved and for the first time in my life I felt as if I was on top of the world. Although the phases of depression were still coming and going and then got rejected by a company and I really had a tough time recovering. Recovered by again trying new things , got into chess , got into cooking , got into self care and recovered.

Fast forward to present :- I am happy and proud of my self that I have secured a job in a very good company while it is not a core company I am beginning to see the glass as half full. While I am not completely okay I am getting there. Sorry for the long rant without any paragraph logic or formation. I just wanted to let my heart out and tell you guys about this.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2021 at 23:21. Reason: Splitting into paragraphs for better readability.
aansh singhania is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 09:42   #92
BHPian

Dear members,

I need a clinical opinion about a friend who has been diagnosed with severe depression. He saw two doctors who prescribed two different approaches to the treatment.
Doctor 1: take 8 ketamine injections plus some medicines like clonazepam.
Doctor 2: take medicines like clonazepam and escitolapram for a week or two and if it does not work then go for ketamine injections.

What should be the best course of action? The doctors said it is the patient's call. However, the family is still hesitant about injections. If there is anyone with a good understanding of these conditions then I will be grateful for their help. The depression is severe and both doctors said that therapy can begin only after the intensity is reduced clinically. The doctors were consulted independently hence the diagnosis and prescriptions are individual assessments. Thank you. If you need the prescription from both the doctors then I can share it over a personal message.
Old 19th May 2021, 09:58   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Dear members,

I need a clinical opinion about a friend who has been diagnosed with severe depression. He saw two doctors who prescribed two different approaches to the treatment.
Doctor 2: take medicines like clonazepam and escitolapram for a week or two and if it does not work then go for ketamine injections.

What should be the best course of action? The doctors said it is the patient's call. However, the family is still hesitant about injections. If there is anyone with a good understanding of these conditions then I will be grateful for their help. The depression is severe and both doctors said that therapy can begin only after the intensity is reduced clinically. The doctors were consulted independently hence the diagnosis and prescriptions are individual assessments. Thank you. If you need the prescription from both the doctors then I can share it over a personal message.
Please watch videos on ketamine.

Watch more. I am not a doctor. But if i had to make a decision, i would go with ketamine over prescription medication.

I would also include healthy food and every day physical activities in the SUN starting immediately. You might need to join your friend everyday so he gets out of this.

Thirdly, depression can be because of two fundamental reasons. Either its genetic. Or its situation driven. You have to find out what the true underlying cause is. Depression is just an effect which brings it to the fore. Both will have very different approaches to cure/keep at bay.

Go to NIMHANS Bangalore once the lockdown is over.

And be with your friend. Keep checking on him or her.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th May 2021 at 09:59.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:50   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Dear members,

Hi
I would suggest the course prescribed by the second Psychiatrist. The usage of Ketamine injections for depression is a relatively new development. The evidence available from studies on Ketamine are lesser than those from the older ones. Hence the recommendation for using it after usual medications seem unhelpful.

NB: I am not a Psychiatrist or Clinical Psychologist. I work mainly on research related to Mental Health. My opinion may not be taken as medical advice.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2021 at 23:22. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
chinchu.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 23:18   #95
BHPian

Hello,

Just happened to pass by this thread and thought of seeking some advice regarding a medical condition known as Bipolar Disorder. I have been fortunate to be part of this platform which has so much information.

My Dad has this condition known as Bipolar Disorder (Type I) where there are some significant behavioural changes observed. It is not a permanent condition. With the help of medications he is able to recover within a few weeks but this condition has been recurring every 2.5 to 3 years till date (More than 5 instances). The medication has worked each time and he is able to recover from it in a span of 4 to 6 weeks but the damage caused during this period both financially (not for treatment) and socially has been huge and irreparable. I have consulted multiple psychiatrists, read about it and all of that has suggested that there is no cure for this mental condition. The challenging part is to identify when this occurs as initially the change in behaviour is very subtle and by the time you are certain the financial and social damage is already done to an extent.

Name of the condition: Bipolar Disorder Type I
Behavioural traits observed during this period:anger, reckless spending, very high self-esteem, lack of sleep, high energy , overactivity, intense enthusiasm
General medications prescribed which have worked: Lithium carbonate, Quetiapine, Risperidone, Trihexyphenidyl

Treating the condition has not been the challenge but identifying it and trying to avoid the recurrence has been thus seeking some expert advice on the following areas.

1. What could be causing the consistent recurrence every 2 or 3 years ? -- Dad is a retired person for the last couple of years so work related stress has not been a contributor per my understanding.
2. Since there is no cure, what could be a way to avoid recurrence ?

Thank You!
SwiftSD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 23:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD View Post
Hello,
Just happened to pass by this thread and thought of seeking some advice regarding a medical condition known as Bipolar Disorder. I have been fortunate to be part of this platform which has so much information.

1. What could be causing the consistent recurrence every 2 or 3 years ? -- Dad is a retired person for the last couple of years so work related stress has not been a contributor per my understanding.
2. Since there is no cure, what could be a way to avoid recurrence ?
Thank You!
I would like to express a different view to tackling these issues. I myself was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in 2003. The medications wrecked havoc with my physical condition with numerous side effects. Finally ended up stopping them and health improved.

Just watch these videos from a renowned expert who practises an alternate method to resolve such conditions through tackling the nutritional deficiency way. I have suggested this to few of my close friends and they have reported improvements in their overall mental health by following better diets.

My personal opinion, I would rather find a natural way to resolve health issues than popping pills and visiting psychiatrists and psychotherapists.

Wishing you Father the best of health !

nirmaljusdoit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 14:27   #97
BHPian

This seems to be the correct thread to vent my feelings. I am an introvert so making new friends or opening up does not come easily to me. On top of that I am a pessimist too - not by choice, it just that my thinking functions that way. So I was very happy in 2010 when my arranged marriage turned out to be the best decision in my life.

Though it was an arranged marriage, we fell for each other since the first day. Trust and mutual understanding were the building blocks for a very strong relationship. We had our daughter two years later and out happiness knew no bounds. Then 2021 stuck. My wife passed away due to covid complications within a span of 10 days. Since then each day passes in a daze.

Since lockdown started in 2020, it was complete wfh for both of us and online school for our daughter. So we were so used to having each other around the whole time that now it feels very sad to have no one to talk to about my feelings or anything else. I don't know the clinical symptoms of depression but I am severely depressed and keep having suicidal thoughts. I keep pushing them away because on the bright side, I have a good job, no loans or liabilities and a understanding daughter (8 years old now).

But the very thought of having to spend the rest of my life without her turns every day into a depressing event. Maybe it's too soon and these feelings may go away with time. But for now it's turning to be hard to cope with the loss.
luvDriving is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 14:47   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
This seems to be the correct thread to vent my feelings. .
I am very sorry about your loss. I am sure your loving bundle of a daughter must be equally devastated.

Have you thought of consulting a therapist? Please do not seek counseling online or with friends. Both might mean the best for you. For the sake of your daughter, you must get support professionally to tide you over these difficult times.

There is no stigma to consulting a professional. They exist and have studied to help us all through tough times like these. Please tell us if you need a reference.

Secondly, what i suggest here are not medicines but simply health supplements. Get yourself 2000 IU of Vitamin D and 1000mg of EPA which is part of Fish oil EVERY DAY. Both are proven scientifically to combat depression and do not need doctors prescription unless you suffer from other ailments we do not know of.

We cannot change the past, but we can certainly change our reaction to current and future events. Your daughter needs you now more than ever. Do everything and anything you need to be there for her - your beloved wife lives through her every day.

My love and best wishes,
Red Liner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 14:55   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know the clinical symptoms of depression but I am severely depressed and keep having suicidal thoughts. I keep pushing them away because on the bright side, I have a good job, no loans or liabilities and a understanding daughter (8 years old now).

But the very thought of having to spend the rest of my life without her turns every day into a depressing event. Maybe it's too soon and these feelings may go away with time. But for now it's turning to be hard to cope with the loss.
You are not depressed, you just feel sad and cheated by fate, big difference. My condolences to you and your daughter.

The way I see it, you have only one path to go and that is forward, your daughter will be happy receiving your love all her life, time and occasions heal everything, you need to ensure that she becomes a strong, mature person and a perfect reflection of both her parents.

I also sense that you are strong enough, because your post was to the point, honest and very raw, something only fellow introverts recognize. I don't even have to tell you that your wife too, would want nothing but the best out of the both of you and of course, to live in happiness.

In the end, memories are what we take away with us, you need to honor the decade long marriage+friendship by just looking ahead. You could see whether simple hobbies can slowly fill up your life, friends aren't a bad idea either if you meet truly like-minded people, and of course your daughter should be the center of everything as she is in a crucial development stage and she needs to understand and cope with this situation without confusion or bitterness (I'm sure she is every bit as mature as you described her to be).

I'm not very good at comforting people but just felt like reaching out after reading your post, its never easy to comfort anyone as only they know what pain they carry, but I just think you should remove the word depression, just allow yourself the time to grieve and accept the situation and then chart the path ahead, of course with full memories of the good times you and your wife shared, she will live on in those memories.

Much strength.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
these feelings may go away with time. But for now it's turning to be hard to cope with the loss.
Sorry for the loss and condolences for the same,

It’s tough to face situations such as these and time is the best healer. You have to make up your mind that you will pick yourself up and life should go on. Reiterate to yourself - this too shall pass. You would have faced failure and disappointment in your life, but you came through it in the past till where you are having a good job and wonderful daughter.

Do not waste time or money on therapy. Therapists will not suggest you what needs to be done. They will only listen and give you few pointers. The steps to be taken and has to be figured done by you only. It’s your life and your situation and way forward is best understood by you only. Many motivation videos are available on you tube. That is enough of self help.

Look around you - once a branch of a tree falls, the tree continues growing and flourishing. Loss in life is inevitable, as good seasons come, so do the not so good. Life has to be embraced as it comes.

You must be in shock right now, give it some time to settle down, go out meet your friends , spend time with family and your daughter. Get nutrition in the right quantity and take each day as it comes !

Please feel free to reach out to our community as and when you like !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:45   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any other family or close friends to talk to? Please do open up and share with them. And if they can’t help (or there are no such folks), please do try and see a counsellor or a professional. You have a young daughter and must be around for her. But coping with depression is easier said than done, and strangers like us on an online forum, no matter how well intentioned, are not a source of support. Just as you would not neglect symptoms of heart disease (even though it may turn out to be a stomach upset), I don’t think you should ignore symptoms of depression. Best of luck - my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Hayek is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your loss. May God give strength to you and family to bear with the loss.

As others mentioned, I would recommend to consult a professional counselor. It helps to vent out your feelings and take expert help.

As I have experienced from major loses in life, including loss of father when I was a kid, time heals all wounds. Eventhough the scars would be visible for life.

In the current situation, your daughter needs you the most. Spend your life around her, concentrate on the brighter side of life, have some daily hobbies which you look forward to. All the best.
PatienceWins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:50   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This seems to be the correct thread to vent my feelings
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't think any of us who've replied so far are experts in the field of mental health so be please be judicious in taking advice (that bit about not wasting money on therapy is beyond ridiculous). Your loss, this pandemic, whatever is happening right now - is unprecedented. Please go easy on yourself and your daughter, and how you feel - please allow yourselves to grieve, and to reach out to friends and family. I truly hope you have people around you right now.

Thank you for your post - we're all glad you chose to type it out.

If you'd like, drop me a PM. My wife is a psychologist, while this is not her field of expertise/experience, she can definitely do an evaluation and suggest experts you can reach out to.

We're all rooting for you.

EDIT: just showed my wife your post. She strongly recommends that ideally you both, but very urgently, your daughter needs to undergo at least some sort of counselling.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th June 2021 at 16:05.
libranof1987 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:52   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sorry about your loss. It is a very brief post but I can feel the immense pain you are going through. Grief is part of every life, we can only hope that it is delayed as much as possible.

What you are going through may not be of clinical nature but it will do a lot of good to meet (in person or through video call) a psychiatrist. Just look up Practo and you should be able to find many good options. Don't have to overthink it as seeking professional help but more like paying someone to be in front of you while you attempt to put your thoughts together and describe your situation. It will offer a starting point to discuss your situation with real people and sometimes just the act of mere talking to someone brings a sense of clarity and relief. If the doctor suggests something that works in your favour, that would be a bonus. Like others suggested, surround yourself with real people (family, friends, etc.) - online stuff is no substitute for real human interactions.

Your daughter represents hope and love and that is certainly a life one should look forward to. Wish you all the very best.
androdev is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 16:01   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My wife passed away due to covid complications within a span of 10 days. Since then each day passes in a daze.

Since lockdown started in 2020, it was complete wfh for both of us and online school for our daughter. So we were so used to having each other around the whole time that now it feels very sad to have no one to talk to about my feelings or anything else. I don't know the clinical symptoms of depression but I am severely depressed and keep having suicidal thoughts. I keep pushing them away because on the bright side, I have a good job, no loans or liabilities and a understanding daughter (8 years old now).

Really sorry to hear about your loss. And thank you for having the confidence to share this. It's not easy - I still have conflicts talking about it to even close family members although it was visible to all. A bunch of supporting close friends and an accommodating family and about a ~year's time off is what got me through it, although the minimal I know about this disease/condition is that it affects every individual differently. I have read books / articles / views by others who have gone through this and everyone of them has a different story to tell on how they got better.

I would suggest getting professional support. Please do not consider doing that as a bad thing. Think of this as just as any other disease for which you'd go to a medical expert. I do not know who is the right professional for this - but folks from the medical fraternity would be able to help you. Given the current pandemic affecting the mental wellness of many, your firm (like many MNCs) might have professional support options to avail for employees. Please do opt for them. Talk to them, take their inputs. They'll be able to advise you exactly wrt to your current state. Also see if you can open up to your family members and close friends if only you (and them) are comfortable to do so.

Hang in there buddy.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks