Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:37   #226
Team-BHP Support

Msdivy,

I had read that thread a long time ago.....indeed very lucky, but i bet their final impact speed was close to a quarter of the speed which they quoted.

I think only the more "high tech" (expensive) cars have airbag sensors etc which do not deploy the airbags if there isnt a certain weight int he seat (or maybe if seatbelts arent worn ?)

cya
R
Old 4th May 2007, 20:55   #227
Senior - BHPian

The papers have a different version today:

Quote:
On the morning of April 24, Avlani, who was driving a Maruti Swift, and Abishekh Sethi (19), who was at the wheel of a Fiat Palio, were racing down JP Road at a speed of over 100 kmph. When they reached the Four Bungalows Cross Road, Avlani lost control of his vehicle and hit a tempo, resulting in a crash involving the Palio, tempo, a milk van, an autorickshaw and an Indigo. Abishekh Sethi, who was driving the Palio and Tarosh Diwanjee (18), who was sitting next to Avlani on the front seat of the Swift, died on the spot.
According to the Blood sample report, Avlani, who has been booked for rash and negligent driving, was not drunk at the time of the accident.Sethi's test results are not yet out.

Source:
4 Bungalows crash: Test says surviving driver was not drunk
Old 4th May 2007, 22:06   #228
BHPian

No one wants to see their friends/brothers/kids die in accidents but if someone has to die, it is better that drivers who drive rashly and irresponsibly die instead of innocent victimes of their drunken (with alcohol / money) orgy. Driving at such speeds on Indian city roads is nothing short of cold-blooded attempted murder whether or not it results in accident.

Unfortunately, you can bet that the surviving driver will not lose his license even for a day, given our laws, and will perhaps end up killing some others..I wish we had laws that would give him death penalty.

What is sad is to see folks drawing morals on seat belts and airbags but not about wanton murder using cars as weapons and the need to punish these murderers severely.

Zero tolerance for minor traffic offenses is exactly what we need. Just like Giuliani did about graffiti and other minor crimes in NY to reduce overall crime rate. Speeding 10-20kmph beyond speed limits should result in suspension of license and repeat offenses should invite seizure of vehicles and Islamic punishments. That and only that will see some change. Or we will have to see 85000 or more lives being lost on our roads every year, most of those men and women in their prime. It could be you or me tomorrow.
Old 4th September 2007, 15:55   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the kids would not have expected the Tempo to be coming at them at high speed at that hour of the morning but that's how it all happens, doesn't it? Overconfidence, lack of anticipation & the adrenalin surge - nothing that cannot happen on an ordinary day in broad daylight & good visibility conditions
If the cars can race/drag/go side by side @ high speed, because its 3am, then by the same logic, why shouldnt the tempo driver drive at high speed? All the parties would have expected the roads be clear, and hence driven and higher speeds.

I would distribute the blame on all involved parties, who had lowered their defences, considering 3am to be a time, where no one is expected to be on the roads.

If they were at controllable/daytime speeds, or had been alert, surely they would be able to stop in time, worst case, they would have caused a pile-up (with no loss of life)

No sympathies to anyone, for all you know anyone of them could have turned a salman khan and killed some footpath sleepers or something

Most Viewed