Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 17:34   #106
Senior - BHPian

Just came to know that One of the deceased was my friends brother, he was sitting at the left side back in the Swift. The theory seems wrong coz as per my friend the Swift was hit by the Tempo from left side.

Quote:
Frankly i don't feel sorry for anyone involved but the autorickshaw guy.

Drifter

Drifter I am totally with you on this . I do not feel sorry for them either.

Dippy
Not expected such comments from you guys specially when one of the deceased was not even driving, show some compassion guys.

Also I agree that we know how some people drive at meets & somehow some of them are preaching what they dont practise

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th April 2007 at 17:36.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:35   #107
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the Verna accident - this was the one that happened in Kerala (Cochin I think) where a couple of kids got high on power and ended up smashing several stalls and causing some deaths as well.

Regarding the graphic, take a mirror image of the picture and it might match with the damage.

OT: @SB, it goes for the Swift as well, thank you.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Just for the record...

I do think what goes on at meets and drives of our forum is potentially dangerous...reason why I have stopped coming for them.

You can fight on the technicalities of racing the whole day...but in my opinion, cars driving excess of 100kmph on undivided public roads is nothing short of a menace to other road users. Why tempt fate guys?

@technocrat: I was under the impression it was both the drivers who had perished. Im sorry for you and your friend.

EDIT:

I'd also like to add, never trust anyone with your life....thats why im never a passenger.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 25th April 2007 at 18:01.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Drifter are you sure you never did anything risky on any of the meets ever ?? Or for that matter on Highways??

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th April 2007 at 17:59.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:59   #110
Team-BHP Support

Since we are on this topic, I wonder where our auto magazines do their high speed and top speed tests? Anyone?
Old 25th April 2007, 18:02   #111
BHPian

Extremely sad. One of the kids who died was just taking a break from studyin as he was supposed to give an exam today.
@Drifter / Normallycrazy
dont you guys feel youll are being harsh..
Old 25th April 2007, 18:03   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drifter are you sure you never did anything risky on any of the meets ever ?? Or for that matter on Highways??
Yes Im sure. I have never done something like that.

Drifter

Yes nik1982.

I've seen far too many bright young individuals loosing their lives. It just fills me with immense regret and anger at the same time.

Also please note i was under the impression that it was only the drivers who had died...I did not know of any passengers being killed.
Refer to post#108.

Drifter

Last edited by adya33 : 25th April 2007 at 18:32.
Old 25th April 2007, 18:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

Strange I remember otherwise.

The lonavla stunt, speeding on e-way @ 190, sleeping while driving due to fatigue

Nothing aginst you drifter, its just that everyone sometime or other have faced situations where in they were lucky to get unscathed.

lets now forget that & blame people when we really dont know what happened.

Anyways I am sorry if this sounds personal while it is not. mods feel free to delete.
Old 25th April 2007, 18:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
EDIT:

I'd also like to add, never trust anyone with your life....thats why im never a passenger.

Drifter
Does that mean you'll never travel in a Bus/Train/Airline?
Old 25th April 2007, 18:17   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hey techno,

no offence taken.

Just to clarify my position so that we can move on.

Expressway is a divided stretch of road...and 190 speedo speed is quite attainable on an empty stretch.

Driving a car on gravel? Don't think that would hurt anyone.

Fatigued driving....yes i agree to that...thanks for pointing that out.

Drifter

Quote:
Does that mean you'll never travel in a Bus/Train/Airline?
The last time I was on a bus or a train was more than 2 years ago.

I know its not practical....but what I meant was that I wouldn't trust anyone with my car or my life unless it was absolutely necessary.

Drifter

Last edited by adya33 : 25th April 2007 at 18:33.
Old 25th April 2007, 18:29   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Expressway is a divided stretch of road...and 190 speedo speed is quite attainable on an empty stretch.
Hmmm. I distinctly remember your earlier post (before you edited it) said that you never do above 100kmph on public roads.
Old 25th April 2007, 18:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Hmmm. I distinctly remember your earlier post (before you edited it) said that you never do above 100kmph on public roads.
He mentioned somthing about roads where people walk etc etc.

As a mod dont you get to see the edited parts of posts??
Old 25th April 2007, 18:39   #118
Senior - BHPian

No offence to anyone.

If you see, I mentioned that it was an undivied stretch that I wouldn't do above 100kmph. And the expressway is a divided stretch if i remember correctly.

I know I have brought upon me the flames of quite a few members by making a controversial statement. But its a fact, and something that will not change...

Alright enough from my side, don't mind me, i just get hyper at times.

Drifter
Old 25th April 2007, 19:05   #119
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post

Driving a car on gravel? Don't think that would hurt anyone.

Fatigued driving....yes i agree to that...thanks for pointing that out.
I am sure you know this, but for the record: 190 kmph speed + fatigue = disaster, even on the expressway. The most important reason is that fatigue slows down your reflexes and delays your response in an emergency, but you cannot afford that at 190 kmph. Especially if there are multiple events that demand a response, your mind could could get distracted by the first event and fail to respond to the second.

I am glad that I have a slow car that can barely do 140-145 kmph on the e-way. I have often felt frustrated with the lack of power, but with experience and a handful of close calls in the last two years (many of these in the early trips in 2005-2006), I have learnt to appreciate my car's worth. I wouldn't exchange it for a faster car, not in the near future, because I often drive in fatigue with only 2-3 hours of sleep behind me.
Old 25th April 2007, 19:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

@rks, if I got it right, you are chiding drifter for driving at 190kmph when fatigued, while you think it is OK at the 140-145kmph that you do. You are seriously wrong in that assumption. Even a person cruising at a steady 70kmph (quite low, given the speeds mentioned here) could end up in serious trouble if he falls asleep at the wheel due to fatigue.

And BTW, 140kmph is not slow in the Indian context, given the roads and stuff we have, even if you intended it to be a pseudo-humble compliment to your car. And yes, I know the road you drive on.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th April 2007 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks