Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 16:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

Well said Gemi!

No matter how safe the Car is, whether it is a Palio, Swift with ABS/Airbag or Merc or BMW, a high speed crash is always fatal!
(Princess Diana died in a tragic high speed crash on a Merc!)

As someone said, if you wanna Race, please goto the Race track and not on the Streets or Highways especially in India!

A life is too precious to be risked, please safeguard it & of others too!
Old 25th April 2007, 16:06   #92
Team-BHP Support

Phew, have seen so many of such accidents!
90kmph late at night, well maybe okay. But 90kmph at an intersection?!!
This is reckless.
I remember 4 such accidents in recent times both near where I stay, and have been involved in one in not so recent times. All when lights were switched off(but I doubt lights make a difference in noida).
In my case I was doing barely 30kmph when a santro doing around 60 came from a side road, hit my indica and turned turtle. The seatbelt saved the lady's head.
In the other 2 one happened a few months back when an ambassador and a Tata 407 collided, and Ambassador turned turtle. Nobody got killed fortunately.
Another one near that time happened, right in front of a hospital fortunately when a recklessly driven zen took a right turn from the left most lane, clipped an 800, turned it turtle(800 was doing around 60) and sped away. There was blood all over but the 800 fellows lived to tell the tale.
the most recent one happened couple of days back. Two guys racing each other, approach the junction, there is another vehicle coming from the side, the vehicle stops, but one guy panics, hits the car he is racing with skids into the railing, the other guy also skids into the divider, luckily nobody dies.

All these crashes except my own happened late at night, with people speeding across the intersections thinking there will be no other vehicle around. If anybody is driving across an intersection without slowing down, it amounts to reckless driving. Its not a case of speed limits. On such an intersection even going at the speed limit of 60kmph is fast.
In developed nations, when you approach an intersection without traffic lights you are supposed to stop, look both sides and then go. Failure to come to a complete stop means hefty fine. Guess stop signs need to be implemented in India too, but then, when people don't even think that a red light is a red light, who is going to obey stop signs.
Such driving is like digging your own grave, sooner or later you will fall in it.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
[

The Crash: The red Maruti Swift and the blue tempo slam into each other at the Four Bungalows junction. The force of the collision sends the Swift careening into the Palio, whose driver dies. Both the Swift and the tempo are spinning out of control and heading for more collisions .
Well the logic seems a little flawed. Because if you see the pic below, the Swift has no damage on the front right of the car, as would have been the case if it had happened as above.

Last edited by ported_head : 25th April 2007 at 16:19.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:27   #94
Team-BHP Support

It would seem that the Palio was the one to bear the brunt of the impact from the tempo (atleast going by logic). But then how did the Swift get damaged on its rear left and not a scratch on the right??
Old 25th April 2007, 16:29   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Guess stop signs need to be implemented in India too, but then, when people don't even think that a red light is a red light, who is going to obey stop signs.
You are right..but I always have this feeling whenever I am the first vechile stopping at a red light that someone coming from behind is going to ram into my car.
With Stop signs, I am sure there may be more accidents with people ramming vechiles from behind unless they are educated of driving rules.

Last edited by greatDrive : 25th April 2007 at 16:31.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Yes, i think the palio & the swift first got into each other (Swift left rear & palio's right) & then proceeded to hit the truck.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:36   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Well the logic seems a little flawed. Because if you see the pic below, the Swift has no damage on the front right of the car, as would have been the case if it had happened as above.
Well if Swift had been the second car, even then there was no reason that it should be unscathed on the left.
What I think is that both were very close, Swift guy sees truck coming, panics and changes lanes, hits the Palio, spins around and is hit by the truck, wherein the Palio is also hit directly by the truck. There is no way the Palio can have such damage so high up, with impact with just a car. Looks like it almost went under the truck.

So my theory from the pictures,
1. Swift guy sees truck, changes lanes abruptly. Palio hits the swift, spins it.
Trick hits the swift rear, and it flies into the auto, and the Palio guy and truck meet at right angles. the truck being high, and palio seed being very fast, the impact is directly on the body shell, and the right fender is ripped of the Palio.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
It would seem that the Palio was the one to bear the brunt of the impact from the tempo (atleast going by logic). But then how did the Swift get damaged on its rear left and not a scratch on the right??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Palio could in right lane (instead of Swift as seen in the pic). Swift in the left lane must have in the front. Palio hits the tempo and then is ricochet into Swift's rear. Could be possible explanation for right side damage in Palio & rear damage on Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
@msdivy: Didn't see your post, was busy preparing this one.
Both of us had the same idea
Old 25th April 2007, 16:46   #99
Senior - BHPian

Very disturbing to read all this. May the departed ones soul RIP.

Ported head - you are right, the depiction of the pics looka little flawed, the right front of the swift remains undamaged.

There is no point in blaming one car or the other, no one really know what happened that time / night, all we know is that some Moron was at fault & he cost 2 lives that night ( maybe his also ). It is high time we start following rules, I think what Delhi has done ( with new traffic rules ) is brilliant, you will see the accident rate go down by a huge margin in the next few months. Anyways, all you ppl out there, please drive carefully & safely & responsibly.
It does not really matter when the person goes away but what matters is who he leaves behind for all the suufering. Imagine the kids parents right now. Sad !!!
Old 25th April 2007, 17:10   #100
Senior - BHPian

Well it's sad & I feel bad for the kids & their families, these things shouldn't happen. But they are also a reminder that our roads even with some progress going on them are still very dangerous locations to be driving one, so be careful out there guys.

Quote:
I remember 4 such accidents in recent times both near where I stay,
You forgot the one about the School Van & Sumo, Tanveer. A young kid died there also I think.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:14   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT, maybe not. I noticed the Palio having Goa plates. Was the thought of dashing away to Goa too dashing in the end to these cars?

Very sad nevertheless.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
You forgot the one about the School Van & Sumo, Tanveer. A young kid died there also I think.
Two brothers died in that one.....similar one reported this morning in Delhi TOI, Qualis rammed into a Maruti van ferrying schoolkids, van toppled over twice, LUCKILY no one died. (Sorry about going marginally OT on this thread)
Old 25th April 2007, 17:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

I have been in a similar accident but came out scratchless but the car was written of

only was a palio can get so much damage on the a pillar if it had hitten the tempo and the hood of the car is scratch less

may their soles rest in peace

speed thrills but kills
Old 25th April 2007, 17:17   #104
rks
BANNED

Quote:
All these crashes except my own happened late at night, with people speeding across the intersections thinking there will be no other vehicle around. If anybody is driving across an intersection without slowing down, it amounts to reckless driving. Its not a case of speed limits. On such an intersection even going at the speed limit of 60kmph is fast.
In developed nations, when you approach an intersection without traffic lights you are supposed to stop, look both sides and then go.
Recklessness is the main reason for this accident. But another aspect is that our intersections often appear suddenly and without warning. I think at least in major intersections, there should always be flashing lights *above* the intersection, even when the signal lights are switched off. This will give adequate warning even to speeding juveniles. It is not enough to have blinking orange lights at the side, these can be missed by the inattentive driver. And I doubt if bungalows would have been permitted at intersections in advanced nations, because they obviously obstruct visibility. If there was visibility, at least the tempo driver might have seen the danger and stopped. But we can do nothing about that now. Unfortunately what will end up happening is that a series of speed-breakers will spring up everywhere on our roads.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

We probably deserve the speedbreakers we get.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks