Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 14:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Whether they were racing or dragging or whatever, it was unfortunate that those kids had to lose their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
the 'this car is safer' brigade should now shut up. That includes me as well.
Hopefully we will not hear any more of the "this car is of solid build" or "it is built like a tank" type of sweeping opinions.
Old 25th April 2007, 14:50   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I that's how it all happens, doesn't it? Overconfidence, lack of anticipation & the adrenalin surge
Absolutely Suman. Add to it lack of common sense and it is a recipe for disaster.

Anyways I am out of this thread for now. What's happened has happened. Condolences to the family of those who lost their lives , though I still dont feel for the the ones who lost lives.
Old 25th April 2007, 14:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians lets not go offtopic here. Please keep the topic of discussion to the car accident itself

Thank you
Old 25th April 2007, 14:53   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Read the Mid day today,
am even more confused.
The driver of the Palio was killed as was the passenger in the Swift from what i gather.
The Swift was following the Palio and the palio was the first car to get hit.
They arrested the driver of the Swift (or Palio - MidDay has confused me) and the Tempo driver.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:00   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Moral of the story: Always wear the seat belts. Airbags save.

I feel the time has come for the govt to make ABS/Airbags compulsary. Increase the penalties for not wearing a seat belt...

Care for life...
Moral of the story : with all safety features dont race like a moron on city roads and finally its always the NUT behind the wheel being the main cause.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 25th April 2007 at 15:03.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:03   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
.. Because even an m800 can hit speeds of 100 .. But when you get behind the wheel most tend to forget their limits .. Its a fact ..
Most modern cars can "hit" 100kmph, but when do do this they are also more likely to HIT something at 100kmph. Most F1 drivers will tell you that they only drive as fast as they need to (not as they want to or as fast as the car will allow).

BTW, I only wonder who the "you" is in your above quote (I've highlighted it)

My father in law lives very close to where that accident occured. I have driven that strech many times and sometimes at night (11pm ish). That junction is vulnerable and hence even if I have a green light I slow down (to about 40) just as a precaution.

Lets forget speed limits and other legal issues. What the 2 drivers lacked (albeit atleast temporarily) in this case was sense, practicality, and discipline. It is sad that someone had to loose his/her life, sadder still that the lives were of such young people (we oldies are always sadder when he life lost is that of some young kid who would have had so much more to contribute to society).
Old 25th April 2007, 15:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

Have just got the news that the 18 year old guy who died in the mishap stayed in the building next to mine at Kandivali. A friend from my building who's a friend of the deceased says that the body is crushed beyond recognition.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Mid-Day has got it all wrong. Perfect in Mumbai Mirror and Times Of India.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

How it happened? (Courtesy: TOI Mumbai)

The reckless build-up

The crash

More disastrous fallout

Tempo

Palio

Swift

Old 25th April 2007, 15:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Have just got the news that the 18 year old guy who died in the mishap stayed in the building next to mine at Kandivali. A friend from my building who's a friend of the deceased says that the body is crushed beyond recognition.
Don't think he'd have ever imagined in his worst nightmare that he'd die in the REAR seat of his own car, crushed beyond recognition....sad, really sad
Old 25th April 2007, 15:33   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

For some unknown reason, i have a feeling i have seen the Palio somewhere before.
Somewhere and quite frequently.
AFAIK, there is only one GA reg black 1.6 GTX in Mumbai and i have seen this car quite often.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:38   #87
Senior - BHPian

a similar Accident taught me to not rely on self when driving. Others can be the worse drivers ever.

We were five cousins of the same family in my WagonR. All boys in the car except one brother whom we were to pick up. I was at the wheel and a luxury bus hit us. we were doing 80kmph and the bus around 50-60 kmph.

I had honked and dipped lights atleast 5-6 times while approaching the crossroads. I then judged the road to be clear enough to not brake. The bus hit us on the left side but luckily enough the WagonR didnt turn. THe front door was completely smashed from the outside though.

God was with us and we were all safe and So was the car.

That taught me to never ever judge others driving.

Since that day I wear seat belts, wear helmet on 2-wheelers, drive upto max 50kmph in city even if roads are clear, wait at all signals even if its is clear and never pick up calls while driving.

Its not just death that's the worse thing to happen. To live with a disability is even more evil.

Better safe than never.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 25th April 2007 at 15:39.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:39   #88
Senior - BHPian

Got this from the Times Of India. Its the proper story of what happened exactly.

The reckless build-up: A red Maruti Swift, with three youth and music blaring, and a Palio with two youth come speeding down J P Road in Andheri. Police later speculated that the two cars may have been racing against each other and doing over 90 kmph. Meanwhile, a blue tempo approaches along another road perpendicular to J P Road. An autorickshaw and a milk van are also parked ahead.

The Crash: The red Maruti Swift and the blue tempo slam into each other at the Four Bungalows junction. The force of the collision sends the Swift careening into the Palio, whose driver dies. Both the Swift and the tempo are spinning out of control and heading for more collisions .

More disastrous fallout: The Swift continues to spin out of control and crashes into a parked autorickshaw whose driver is inside. The auto flies into the air and comes crashing down on a parked milk van that has no one inside. Meanwhile, the tempo spins and bangs into an Indigo travelling behind it. A teen in the backseat of the Swift later dies.

Result:

@msdivy: Didn't see your post, was busy preparing this one.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

Just thought of reminding all out there to shed off their egos while driving. While driving take care of the person in the other vehicle and give him respect. I think most accidents in India take place becouse we are not willing to care for others.

If someone is trying to take a turn or if his car has gone off in the middle of the road. Wait for him. Dont keep honking and making him more tensed. Dont try to go infront even before he has turned fully.

Never Ever Overtake when the yellow lines are drawn on the roads. Guys this line has been drawn for reasons.

In the night Dip/dim and Bright your light when taking turns / on cross roads. THis would help you see if others are coming and vice versa.

Dont you dare drink and drive. You might end up killing some poor soul, if not yourself.

Wear your seatbelts (atleast when on higways and driving at higher speeds)

On round abouts at junctions give way to the guy on the right side of yours. (I dont know how many of us do this)

Not sure how many would even read this. And even how many would keep such basic things in mind. But i thought i should write this anyways.

AND PLEASE AVOID TAKING OUT YOUR PERSONAL GRUDGES ATLEAST ON THREADS LIKE THIS.

Drive safe.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:55   #90
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

BTW, I only wonder who the "you" is in your above quote (I've highlighted it)
If I haven't made it clear ''you" in this case is general .. Meaning me , you , him , her , anyone for that matter .. Unless you are aiming at implying something else ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks