Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2007, 11:14   #211
Jay
BHPian

So much speculation going on as to what could have happened, but are there no Eye Witnesses to this ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
OT, dont you think its coz this accident was caused by "kids", its IN news!
I too would agree to this to some extent, recently saw an accident where a Sumo was involved, the vehicle was Reduced to less than half its size, couldnt take pics. Later came to know that 10 people died in that accident.
Old 28th April 2007, 16:14   #212
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, part of the 'learning driving' must be how to/when to enjoy your car, how/when not to, emergency braking and other manouvres, basically a lot of stuff pro training can help with, which the xyz driving schools ignore.

The recreational part of owning vehicles surely exists, and its better to equip people for enjoying it responsibly than to let them figure out through such horrible instances. Its not unlike sex education - recreational vehicle usage seems to get a similar 'closed eyes so does/should not exist' treatment.
Old 28th April 2007, 17:54   #213
BHPian

Well said Gordon. Aamchi Mumbai is becoming an absolutely crazy place to drive in. People drive so thoughtlessly that it isn't funny. Just last week some driver pulled an illegal u-turn in front of me near the Andheri flyover. The new concrete road with an abundance of sand spread on it certainly doesn't help and I skidded quite badly. Fortunately apart from a few bruises and a sprained ankle I was ok and so was my F650. All that was needed was for him to slow down and look for oncoming traffic before pulling the turn. I don't know what difference a couple of minutes wasted in braking is so difficult for people.

In the papers a lot of write-up was spent on why the traffic signals were off. I personally feel that it is much much safer if the signals are off at night. If they are on, some people may be under the false assurance that they have the right of way since most people don't obey the signals at night.

Team-BHP is the perfect community to promote sensible driving and I hope all the readers will learn from others such mistakes.
Old 28th April 2007, 18:59   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the main reason for the accident is peer pressure and the parents.
Many people out here have said that one cannot blame the parents, while that is true, it is true only to an extent.
It all depends on the values inculcated by the parents when you are being brought up.
I learned to drive a long time ago but don't drive on the roads because of what my parents taught me and they never let me get a fake license or anything like that, even though i was begging and pleading for one.
Even peer pressure is to blame and people do stupid things to act cool, like smoking and ****.
I may have a facination for fast cars and am in the process of trying to convince my dad to let me modify a second hand car but the thing is, that i know my limits and will never drive recklessly.
Life is too precious to lose over rash and fast driving (unless it is done on a safe road, with a safe car AND THE DRIVER KNOWS HIS LIMITS AND IS IN FULL CONTROL IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT HAPPENS).
By the way, don't you think that the possibility of them racing together is quite low?
The drive of the Palio was 4 years older than that of the Swift. Also, from what the parents have said (the pssengers of the other car were reeking of alcohol, it also shows that weren't at the same place because then the occupants of the palio would also be smelling of alcohol).
Old 28th April 2007, 20:58   #215
Senior - BHPian

holy sh*t - one more :(
Let's make a tbhp pledge or something - even if a few members start consciously following some basic dos and donts it'll make a diff.
I, for starters, will stop trying to get ahead of the traffic when its already moving at 45-50+ within the city. On highways, will make a serious attempt to *always* slow down the moment I see traffic/a village etc ahead of me.
I hope to God we don't hear of such horriffic news again. It's inevitable, but can be made extreme one offs, not such frequent stuff.
Old 30th April 2007, 13:23   #216
Senior - BHPian

Fasten your Seat Belts

guys check out the advertisement: FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS (rapidshare) or

@mods - please post this in the correct section. thanks.

drive safe guys!

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th April 2007 at 13:27.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:59   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Appreciate your concerns about underage drivers etc., but I think it's more a matter of maturity and good sense than age. Nothing magical happens to a person on his or her 18th birthday that makes them a good driver. I've seen several people 30 years old or older behaving like they're 16. Conversely there are many good drivers under 18.

P.S. I'm 28
couldn agree with your more...its all about maturity.jus because some one turns 18 doesnt mean he handles situatiions better and drive sensibly...
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:50   #218
Senior - BHPian

Haven't read the entire thread but the only survivor was the Swift driver and the news paper's reported that the air bags saved him. A few days later, a report said only the swift driver was belted up. Clearly the others would have had a better chance of survival if they had belted up. How careless!

I have another issue with the newspapers. I feel they should make it clear that the Swift driver was saved because of the seat belts rather then purely because of the air bags. In fact, had he not been belted up, the air bags would have probably killed him. I say this because I have seen a few air bag equipped cars that have the mother holding the kid in her lap in the front seat! Don't these guys ever read the car manual?

Last edited by amit : 2nd May 2007 at 12:52.
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:00   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, had he not been belted up, the air bags would have probably killed him.
care to explain how would Air bags kill if not putting seat belts on ?
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:15   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Its true
Airbags + Seat Belts = Spine Protection
If there is not enough gap between the body and steering, injury can result from airbag deployment.
In case of a non belted rider, in case of an accident he would have moved forward so that airbag deployment will injure him rather than save him
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:18   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Air bags dont deploy without seat belts IMHO. Dont know how far is that true
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:42   #222
BHPian

^^ depends on what car it is.
the octavia crash thread says passengers were not wearing seatbelts and the airbags have deployed.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:04   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Air bags dont deploy without seat belts IMHO. Dont know how far is that true
I remember reading a incident on this forum where a Skoda crashed in to a tanker (doing U turn) at about 140+. The occupants had not worn seat belts still the airbags deployed & they walked without a scratch.
Old 2nd May 2007, 20:38   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I remember reading a incident on this forum where a Skoda crashed in to a tanker (doing U turn) at about 140+. The occupants had not worn seat belts still the airbags deployed & they walked without a scratch.
If the incident you have mentioned is true, its VERY lucky. Can we have a link?
Its a misconception that airbags are soft fluffy cushions. They are more like bags inflated with an explosive charge (neccessary for reaction speed) and inflate so fast that they can break your neck.

Airbags are marked SRS for a reason

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd May 2007 at 20:46.
Old 2nd May 2007, 21:03   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If the incident you have mentioned is true, its VERY lucky. Can we have a link?
Here is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...think-abs.html
But they were damn lucky to survive.

Disclaimer: I wanted show air-bags are deployed in some cars even if seat-belts are not worn. I am no way advocating against wearing seat belts. In fact I am always buckled up whenever I am in the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks