Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 19:59   #4576
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Totally agree on The Old Man. It was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect the story line would go so deep as shown in the end. Hope there is a season 2 soon.

BTW, Jeff Bridges is 72. Has pulled off "The Old Man" role very well
JVH is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 02:17   #4577
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Old Man was completely gripping, looking forward to season 2 - will give it 9.5/10

While waiting for season 2 of Old Man and season 4 of Fauda, I just ate up 5 seasons of The Americans. Only the last 2 episodes remaining.
All 3 are no less than masterpieces in their own sense.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:21   #4578
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
Decided to indulge in some Penny-nostalgia and started on 'Flight Attendant' on Prime. My enthusiasm quickly started waning as the genre did not seem to suit the now middle-aged Kaley Cuoco, and the character's non-stop vodka guzzling and over-acting put me off. Gritted my teeth and finished the first season without serious mental injury. But season 2 turned out to be cringe worthy, and I bailed out in the second episode itself.
This was such a disappointment. I commend your patience because I bailed out after 3 episodes when it started getting obvious there was going to be no redemption for the hapless viewer. Cuoco is still gorgeous, middle-aged or not , but she cannot hold this disaster of a story together.

Better Call Saul wound up last night and I confess to being underwhelmed. Vince normally wraps up things perfectly and it all felt a bit shoddy somehow.
Old 16th August 2022, 18:10   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Better Call Saul wound up last night and I confess to being underwhelmed. Vince normally wraps up things perfectly and it all felt a bit shoddy somehow.
Throughout the series, the defining feature of Jimmy McGill was how he commits crimes and then when he sees when people got affected, tries to correct it and ending up going down for it. The final episode tries to stay true to that line of story. Yet, yes, it is a tad unsatisfying.

I may be the minority here, but there are many things about BCS that I have not been sold to. The whole first few seasons that focused on sibling rivalry has been a bit too lame for a crime series.

BTW, the final act of BCS is any day better than the absolutely trash ending of BB. I understand that everybody was yearning for a relatively happy ending, but that one was way over the top.

Last edited by dragonfire : 16th August 2022 at 18:11.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:33   #4580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Throughout the series, the defining feature of Jimmy McGill was how he commits crimes and then when he sees when people got affected, tries to correct it and ending up going down for it. The final episode tries to stay true to that line of story. Yet, yes, it is a tad unsatisfying.
Quote:

Yet to watch it but, BSC seems to have been ended abruptly for another series on some other character from BB (My wild guess). May be Mike, may be Gus Fringe, may be both together, may be Kim - I just wish we will have another spinoff series soon.
Old 16th August 2022, 19:15   #4581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Yet to watch it but, BSC seems to have been ended abruptly for another series on some other character from BB (My wild guess). May be Mike, may be Gus Fringe, may be both together, may be Kim - I just wish we will have another spinoff series soon.
I have been reading elsewhere that it would be Kim, but the way they brought Hank into the final episode of BCS, I have a feeling it would be him. Hank has been one of my favourite BB characters, and would love to see him back on screen.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 19:51   #4582
BHPian

Probably late to catch up - Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime is turning out to be very interesting and gripping. Excellent narration and pace so far.
Old 16th August 2022, 20:32   #4583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Still to watch the last episode.
Howver, Vince has categorically stated this will be the end of Breaking bad universe and now they will move on to new concepts. So, any spin offs will not happen.
Old 20th August 2022, 10:11   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Squid Game:

A bit late to the party but finished watching the series and while it had an interesting premise it was not all what it was made out to be (In my opinion of course).

Still, it did manage to hold my attention enough to want to complete the season.

3/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 12:17   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Sharp Objects <on Hotstar> - 4/5

A journalist returns to her small-town middle-America home when her editor asks her to write a story on a couple of murders that has happened there in the recent past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Sharp Objects (Hotstar): 3.5/5

Apt summary by @catchjyoti.
Thanks for the reco. Sharp Objects was in my watchlist for a long time; never got around to see it till these couple of recommendations . Though the pace is a little slow till the 4th episode, the last two episodes and the end twist make up for it. Excellent acting by Amy Adams is a given but the other cast members are also outstanding.

Apparently, the book by Gillian Flynn has some more details as to what happens next, and it is pretty easily googleable to get a summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Suzhal The Vortex on Amazon prime. Pretty engaging series.
Watching Sharp Objects reminded me of Suzhal. The story pattern is the same - Small town, missing/dead young girl(s), past events having significance, everyone knows everyone else, everyone has a past, everybody is a suspect....

Fantastic mini-series both of them .
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 16:25   #4586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I actually mistook the penultimate episode for the last one No wonder it seemed so...incomplete somehow! Anyway I finally did watch the actual final episode and somehow it still left me not completely satisfied. I think Gould & Gilligan couldn't not in their own mind resolve the conflict of whether Saul is a good man or a truly evil one. Or maybe that was the whole idea, who knows!
Old 21st August 2022, 18:14   #4587
Senior - BHPian

Since I was in covid induced isolation(related post (The Coronavirus Thread)) for around 8-10 days, got to watch a lot of OTT content after office hours(WFH).

Vikings Valhala(1 season on Netflix): As I had reported earlier about the prequel (Vikings (The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please))) feeling way too dragged after season 5, didn’t have much expectations from this one. Was an okay-ish watch and kinda predictable if you have seen Vikings. The visuals though are mesmerising.

Rating: 2.5/5

Never have I ever (3 seasons on Netflix): A typical American born confused desi quirky show. Makes for a good light watch. All actors have done a decent job. Poorna Jagannathan(was seen in a cameo in Ye jawani hai deewani) & Maitreyi Ramakrishnan have pulled off their roles as mother-daughter duo rather nicely.

Rating: 3.5/5

Mind the Malhotras(Season-2 on Amazon Prime): Continued from where they left in the first season. This show somehow gives me yesteryear’s comedy show ’Hum Paanch’ vibes. It’s mostly shot in-house. Cyrus Sahukar & Mini Mathur have done a decent job in their typical upper-middle-class city couple roles.

Rating: 3/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st August 2022 at 18:36.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:43   #4588
BHPian

Peacemaker Season 1 (Prime Video): 3.5/5

I knew it was yet another superhero show but I enjoyed it nonetheless. John Cena looked very suitable for the character of Peacemaker. Lots of funny dialogues, a little bit of emotions and high on gore & violence. Clearly an entertainer and apt for weekends when you can't go out for a ride. Make sure you watch The Suicide Squad (2021) before starting this.
Old 22nd August 2022, 22:27   #4589
Senior - BHPian

Severance S01 On Apple TV : 4.5/5

Brilliant atmosphere building and concept. Starts slow, a bit confusing and dark but picks up pace nicely. Excellent mood setting and great acting by everyone.

A must watch for sci-fi fans.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:31   #4590
BHPian

"She-Hulk" - Something for Marvel Fans
"House of Dragons" - Something for GoT fans

Only 1 episode each released yet.
Both are on Hotstar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks