Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2022, 19:12   #4636
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched Delhi Crime S 1&2 over last few days. Not sure how I missed this. Very nicely done. Very much relatable. Every character has done a wonderful job.

Rating a solid 5/5

Special mention for S1E1. I just couldn’t sleep after watching this episode. Very disturbing.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 19:33   #4637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Finished the first episode over 3 sittings! The pilot episode should set the tone for the series and should engulf you enough for you to be interested to continue with the next episode and so on.
Gosh, how could they do this to the prequel of LOTR.

With lots of difficulty, my wife and I watched until the middle of 3rd epicode... then my wife said Galadriel is few centuries old, yet she is acting like an entitled American teenager. This feels nothing like the epic LOTR was, feels like written by a bunch of teenagers. So, we stopped watching it.

Also, every strong character is now a female. Galadriel, Disa, Nori, Míriel, Bronwyn... and all the men tip-toe around them.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:14   #4638

If you are into animation and comedy, Rick and Morty on Netflix is next level. 5/5 for me. (TV-MA)

If you are into Drama, Outlander is great. Great characters and storytelling. 4/5 for me. Lot of mature content which at times doesn't feel necessary so have to fast forward (when kids are around) and sometimes the story gets slow. But overall, it's great. (TV-MA)

Any reviews for Vikings: Valhalla? Vikings was a great show not sure how this sequel is.
Old 12th September 2022, 13:26   #4639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks4568 View Post

Any reviews for Vikings: Valhalla? Vikings was a great show not sure how this sequel is.
Its so-so. For some reason, I was not able to connect to the characters. To draw a parallel to Vikings, about as enjoyable as the second half of the last season of that.
Also, not as grey, green and dark like Vikings, if that makes sense.

If into that genre of period action/drama series, may I suggest Knightfall and Medici. And the movie, "The King"

Last edited by mayankk : 12th September 2022 at 13:28.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 13:44   #4640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
With lots of difficulty, my wife and I watched until the middle of 3rd epicode... then my wife said Galadriel is few centuries old, yet she is acting like an entitled American teenager. This feels nothing like the epic LOTR was, feels like written by a bunch of teenagers. So, we stopped watching it.

Also, every strong character is now a female. Galadriel, Disa, Nori, Míriel, Bronwyn... and all the men tip-toe around them.
Wokeism is a larger pandemic than Covid. Sadly it has reached our shores too. Soon we would have movies that would be far removed from what the world actually is.
dragonfire is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 14:26   #4641
Senior - BHPian

As a fan of the Lord of the Rings, I can't express how disappointed I am in the Rings of Power. The only focus is on the visuals and getting the gender diversity equation right, no focus on story or narrative.
If you think the Hobbit movies were bad, wait till you see this. It feels really bad how the makers are ruining the legacy of probably the best trilogy ever made. I don't think I will be able to motivate myself to watch the rest of the episodes.

Watched Delhi Crime: Season 2 - pretty well made, though Shefali Shah is trying to overact a lot, she needs to tone down and take it easy. I liked the first season better, still worth a watch. Rating - 7/10.

Watched Suzhal: The Vortex - very well made series, the climax could have been better but will definitely recommend it. Rating - 8/10

Last edited by adimicra : 12th September 2022 at 14:28.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:17   #4642
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If into that genre of period action/drama series, may I suggest Knightfall and Medici. And the movie, "The King"
Thank you for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Wokeism is a larger pandemic than Covid. Sadly it has reached our shores too. Soon we would have movies that would be far removed from what the world actually is.
Couldn't agree more! Bollywood and Indian cricket are the flag bearers for this stupid thing. I'm all in for gender equality & LGBT but can't stand to sit and watch crap like forced gender pronouns (He/Him, She/Her, Wife/Partner) and Hardik Pandya taking a knee for Black rights but clueless about casteism in his own damn country. It can't get any stupider than than

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
As a fan of the Lord of the Rings, I can't express how disappointed I am in the Rings of Power. The only focus is on the visuals and getting the gender diversity equation right, no focus on story or narrative.
If you think the Hobbit movies were bad, wait till you see this. It feels really bad how the makers are ruining the legacy of probably the best trilogy ever made.
Thank goodness, I thought it was me who was not brainy enough to understand what's all the hype about in this 1Bn$ spectacle. LOTR is the first epic fantasy i've ever saw and love it till today, may never watch RoP (I couldn't sit through the first 30 mins).

GoT, LoTR, Dune, Harry Potter & Star Wars are the best fantasy series' once could ever ask for, any spin off is going to be incredibly tough.

Fantastic Beasts were meh at best
LoTR - RoP is DoA
Dune - mother of all fantasy is still on world building after the reboot
Star wars - all spin offs are meh except Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal/Oberyn Martell as Mandalorian is just wow!)
House of the Dragon is the last man standing (promising too) in the world of fantasy spin off
RYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 18:22   #4643
BHPian

For those who liked Trapped on Netflix, the sequel to it, Entrapment is out now, It started off well, fabulous locales, superb acting and story, however the ending was a bit rushed for me, not as good as the earlier series but definitely worth a watch.
Old 13th September 2022, 19:00   #4644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks4568 View Post
If you are into animation and comedy, Rick and Morty on Netflix is next level. 5/5 for me. (TV-MA)
The last episode (season 6 episode 2) just blew my mind. I can't think of any other show that can keep reinventing the plot using radical techniques well into the sixth season!
Old 13th September 2022, 19:12   #4645
BHPian

Just finished few TV series

Fargo Season 4. Fargo series is known for crime elements with a touch of comedy and satire. The movie with the same name is what started it. Not good as previous seasons but worth watching. Season 1 is too good and I watched it twice

True Detective Season 3. The first season was the best, but the second was not really that good. The 3rd season was good.

Panchayat s1 and s2. Nice series with a rural setting, believable characters, and natural acting.

Delhi Crime Season 2. Nothing to add much, if you liked season 1, you will like this one too.

I am more into crime investigation and psychological thrillers.

Mindhunter, The Sinner, Mare of Easttown, Sharp Objects, The Valhalla Murders, and Trapped are some of my favorites in this genre.

The sinner is quite unique in this respect. You know in the beginning itself who the killer is. The rest of story focuses on the motives and phychological aspects of it

Last edited by born_free : 13th September 2022 at 19:32.
born_free is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 23:00   #4646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Fargo Season 4. Fargo series is known for crime elements with a touch of comedy and satire. The movie with the same name is what started it. Not good as previous seasons but worth watching. Season 1 is too good and I watched it twice
I liked 4 better than 3.

S1 was classic Fargo and my favourite. Billy Bob Thornton was awesome.

S2 seemed like Tarrantino took over but still had its moments.

S3 was grotesque and had a terrible storyline.

S3 an ode to the mafia movies and hence completely different from the rest of the seasons, but still it had a believable story unlike S3. It was the first time I was seeing Chris Rock on screen and I found out he was a comedian only after I looked him up.
Old 14th September 2022, 10:46   #4647
Senior - BHPian

The Sandman:

I know that the comic was very popular back in the day and got rave reviews. But i could not handle the artwork and never really bothered to read it.

Now thanks to Netflix/DC/WB, I get to enjoy the sheer spectacle of it 3 episodes down and it's been a fun watch.

Can't wait to finish watching it.

An easy 4/5 for me.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 22:43   #4648
Distinguished - BHPian

The White Lotus Hotstar

I started watching this series last Sunday and was completely hooked and as soon as I finished watching, got to know that the series has bagged 10 EMMY awards this year. Nothing extra ordinary in the storyline but somehow makes an engaging watch. The series tells the stories of the guests who are out to spend a vacation in a hotel. Folks from yesteryears would love to see Steve Zahn here since he was the heart of the cult movie That thing you do from the nineties. Recommended watch.

Rating: 4/5

Diary of a Gigolo Netflix

As the name suggests, the story is not at all family friendly but is an engaging watch if one can go past the steamy scenes. Mystery and intrigue are the traits of the series and is definitely an interesting watch. Actors have played on well and the suspense is palpable on the faces, all throughout. Recommended watch.

Rating: 3.5/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 12:10   #4649
BHPian

The Grand Tour - A Scandi Flick

The latest from The Grand Tour is now out, featuring the trio driving 4wd sedans across Norway, Sweden, and Finland.

It's both old and new, featuring some cringe and tired screenplay that you've seen many times before, along with some refreshing freshness that makes you remember the heydays of Top Gear.

A Scandi Flick follows the rather predictable order: show up in cars -> race cars -> mod cars -> race modded cars -> camp -> destroy the things they are hauling -> pranks -> reach the destination.

Most T-Bhpians will even recall the old tricks - the many times caravans have been pulled, raced, destroyed; adverse weather and late nights; the last minute almost inhospitable campsite with the morning reveal of proximity to civilisation; some lunacy involving moving camping tents / caravans, etc.

However, even with all the above, A Scandi Flick has some genuine moments - reactions from the hosts to the events that could not possibly have been scripted (the things they are reacting to are not planned, thus the unscripted reaction), the way the three work together out of (manufactured and otherwise) hairy situations, etc. that made me laugh like a child.

Rating
I'll rate this a 4/5 purely for making me remember why these three work. It is good to see them together again, especially after their individual outings.
Coyote is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 18:38   #4650
BHPian

I would like to suggest some solid English and Korean series which I watched recently, these are really really good if you like the crime/drama/mystery/thriller genres. As someone said, the best movies are the ones that stay with you even after you have finished watching them, so below are a few of those. (I am not referring to Fargo, Sherlock, and True Detectives, as I see those have been referred a lot)

Korean
Signal (series) = 9/10
Stranger (series) = 8.5/10 (Slow Burn, Lead actor Cho Seung-woo is fabulous)
The Call (Movie) = 9/10
Strangers from Hell (series) = 7.5/10 (Psychological types)
Hospital Playlist (series) = 9/10 (Comedy, Drama, this is the best feel-good series I have ever seen)

Japanese
Midnight Diner (series) = 9.5/10 (cozy Drama, watch only late in the night with a blanket around you, savor it!)

English
Nocturnal Animals (movie) = 9/10 (neo-noir, Drama)
Sharp Objects (series) = 8.5/10 (Slow Burn)
Mare of Eastown (series) = 9/10 (Slow Burn)
Get out (movie) = 8/10 (Thriller)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (series) =9.5/10 (Comedy, see this only if you like Seinfeld)
Love Death + Robots (series) = 9/10 (animation, but not for the faint-hearted)
Big Little Lies (series) = 8.5/10 (Drama, crime, very good)

Spanish
The secret in their eyes = 8/10 (Drama, crime, dont watch the english version)

Last edited by ThatCarGuy : 16th September 2022 at 18:45. Reason: added a few more
ThatCarGuy is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks