Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2024, 14:57   #5386
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Am not really into Westerns, but got hooked to Yellowstone (Kevin Costner) series on Netflix. Its a story set in modern American West. Recommended watch. Lot of Characters given powerful / significant roles - played well by most.
jessie007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 16:37   #5387

OUR PLANET - II
OTT: NETFLIX
5/5.

Absolute treat to the eyes and ears. Amazing picturisation and photography. As usual, Sir David Attenborough is unbeatable in narrating the story, just addictive.

A must watch.
nikvint is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 02:04   #5388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even Critical Drinker is blown away... because it has no moral message it wants to hammer into you.

https://Youtu.be/il9mREwxKaU
Pretty close to your profile name

Shogun has been so good to watch and understand the Japanese culture. No wonder they are so ethically good and live a very high quality of life.

And have to thank the producers to not introduce the woke culture and bring non suiting characters/persons like Disney stuff ..
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 03:15   #5389
BHPian

Mamla Legal Hai.
OTT: Netflix

Rating: 5/5

This is one of the best works on OTT networks recently. While the actors are superbly cast, the real hero of this series is the script. The script is so beautifully written, has references to so many things including suites and legal headlines across India. People who have lived in east delhi/noida will identify with the local references.

Must watch. Can be watched with family and hopefully, it becomes successful leading to sequels and other such works by Saurabh Khanna (producer and writer).
LordSharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 11:40   #5390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Now off to another "slick show"- Slow Horses Season 3 on Apple TV+.
Slow horses is an absolute treat - one of the rare ones where the TV show matches if not betters the novel.
Oldman as the slobby Lamb, brings the character to life!
Can't wait for the rest of the novels being dramatised.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 12:32   #5391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
Pretty close to your profile name
Ahem, I picked my profile name after reading Shogun book a dozen time since my teen years. It is not a coincidence at all.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 17:47   #5392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
So Amazon Prime planning to announce all four streaming dates soon?

Panchayat, Paatallok, Mirzapur, Bandish Bandits
I am most excited about Paatal Lok, the few among the very best to come out of India till date. I don’t know if the makers can repeat what the season 1 offered, truly a gold standard offering it was.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 18:29   #5393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I am most excited about Paatal Lok, the few among the very best to come out of India till date. I don’t know if the makers can repeat what the season 1 offered, truly a gold standard offering it was.
It will have to be a six-star series to better season 1. Part of me thinks that they should not have attempted S2.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 21:32   #5394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Slow horses is an absolute treat - one of the rare ones where the TV show matches if not betters the novel.
Oldman as the slobby Lamb, brings the character to life!
Can't wait for the rest of the novels being dramatised.
Slow horses is a gem. Best part is they always shoot a season in advance so release happens quicker than most series and there isn't a huge time gap between seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The thing I hate most about Prime shows is the delay between seasons. Ions since Mirzapur season 2 ended. Panchayat last season was also a while back. Same with Paatal lok. Takes some fun out as watching so much stuff you tend to forget a bit what happened in last season.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 18:32   #5395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But the new TV adaptation... Holy Cow!
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-shogun.jpg

Agreed 100% ! This feels like a true epic, and the casting is near perfect! The customs, rituals, language, climate... so much attention has been paid to every little detail. Even the costumes are superb, with flowing robes and kimonos, and warriors mounted on horses with red armor and helmets with crowns and horns. And how can we miss the menacing samurai statues in some of the rooms?

Hiroyuki Sanada is such a perfect fit. Did anyone notice how he does a little flick with the katana before returning it to it's scabbard (after the failed assassination)? It's like a dance of swordplay - so elegant. The camera often focuses close up on his face where his stoic expression gives the impression of deep thought.

Anna Sawai as Mariko is perfect as the kind and patient woman who hides a ferocious intensity within her. And Tadanobu Asano as Kashigi Yabushige is stunning as the cunning warlord whom you can never trust behind your back. It is so gratifying to see Japanese actors instead of typical Hollywood whitewashing.

This is one of those series where you should ideally sit and relish the whole experience. Though they have mentioned only one Season, I do hope they expand it as there is so much scope and potential !
SithDefender is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 20:26   #5396
Senior - BHPian

Any body seen The Regime on Jio Cinema?

Reviews?

I'm unable to get a handle on this, hence need some external take to decide whether to indulge further or dump.
Old 25th March 2024, 21:18   #5397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Any body seen The Regime on Jio Cinema?

Reviews?

I'm unable to get a handle on this, hence need some external take to decide whether to indulge further or dump.
We started watching it on HBO as soon as it premiered. The first episode is bizarre and makes you scratch your head - then it continues and you get used to overall oddness and madness going on everywhere headed by fabulous Kate Winslet who acts as an unstable head of the state holding absolute power.

It gets funny in parts and ludicrous in others and to be honest I felt Kate's accent forced (not a deal breaker) even though it's her show through out.

My main gripe is the satire isn't too edgy to draw blood when it could have been. It's almost as if the show makers stopped themselves from making any obvious connections to real life power corrupt world leaders.

That being said, watch it for grand sets. I LOVED the palace where majority of series is shot. The atmosphere setup is terrific. Winslet's power costumes are fantastic.

The other "main" character is played by Matthias Schoenaerts and I find him equally good. He is a good actor and if you haven't watch "The Mustang". In general, all of the supporting cast has done a very good job too.

In short I would rate it 3/5
It could easily have been 4/5 but it did leave me wanting for more. There are some episodes left so may be I'll revise my thoughts after the finale.

Last edited by amol4184 : 25th March 2024 at 21:18. Reason: Spell
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 00:19   #5398
BHPian

Re: Television shows: What do you watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Anyone watching 'Person of Interest' TV show ? It promises to be a seat-edge thriller. It has overtaken CSI-NY in popularity. It is about how a Billionaire hires an ex-Green Beret/CIA operative to use the electronics eavesdropping system he developed to prevent crimes before they occur. ‎Jim Caviezel acts as the ex-Green Beret operative who is a perfect fit for the role - silent as a ghost, cold and incredibly efficient.

9/10 in my view.
Person of Interest 9/10 for sure I concur.

I am about to finish all 3 seasons. It has been a great watch. Superb plot. It is a bit confusing to keep up with the huge number of characters initially but it gets to you once a lot of episodes have been watched.

It is no The Bureau or The Americans but has a place for itself. A unique one and a very americanised one at that.

The story is mesmerisingly woven. An AI hero and an ex CIA rogue operative get together to save irrelevant people from harm. The series is based on mass surveillance being generated by an omniscient AI machine. Each episode ends with a single story. However, the bigger plot is woven into these episodes. Only in the 3rd season the stories stop ending in single episodes.

It has a mix of characters from various intelligence agencies, police and rogue organisations along with government based characters. The CIA operative is just shy of being Batman. The way the main characters naturally mature and transform in their role, in acting is truly commendable. Even the Machine matures like a human. Almost zero nudity and can be watched with family. Action never ceases in any episode.

I particularly like Lionel, a dirty cop. What a lion of a man.
Fuldagap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:27   #5399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The Silent Service - Amazon Prime

It is an Alt History, Political Thriller series focussed on US - Japan relationship especially in terms of Nuclear Disarmament and the politics behind the security treaty. While it is supposed to be alt history, but in the current context, you actually feel, the scenarios depicted could definitely happen.

I'm even more amazed to learn that the series is adapted from a Manga which originally came out in the 90s and sold 25 million copies!

Our graphical novels/ comics were focussed on Chacha Chaudhry and Sabu in the 90s and currently focussed on Chotta Bheem!
Spoiler Alert - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silent_Service

Rating - 4/5, IMDB - 7.7
Slightly unrelated, but this is what I read in the newspaper yesterday -

Why pacifist Japan plans to sell fighter jets now

Without delving into the politics of it, just ruminating if alt history being depicted in some of the series may just turn out to be true in the near future!

Some series that come to my mind are:
1. The Occupied
2. The Regime

Commonality - Both involve the same country.
Old 28th March 2024, 09:30   #5400
Team-BHP Support

Fool Me Once on Netflix.

A well-done murder-mystery set in the family of a ex-soldier. Quite a tight and engaging storyline.

5/5

Last edited by ajmat : 28th March 2024 at 10:39. Reason: typo
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks