Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2024, 00:45   #5356
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I had absolutely no idea that Grey's Anatomy still existed; until I saw this post pop-up on my Facebook feed today. I think my interest had waned, especially around Season 13 or so.
Nice to see a mention of a series based on our city. While I know about this for a very long time but, unfortunately never saw even a single episode of this much touted series.

Incidentally, the building used for the hospital shown in series is bang opposite to " Space Needle" in Downtown Seattle.

Here is the picture (taken by me on December 31st, 2023) of the same building from the back-side with the "Needle" in full glory behind. It was decked up in "T-mobile" who were the sponsors for the New Years Eve Fireworks.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-img_0368.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 09:22   #5357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I became interested in Japan when I read James Clavell's Shogun in the mid 80s. That coupled with my interest in martial arts and love of history, I have become a Japanophile. It was fun discussing Japanese history with JTB guides. One of them got a shock when I could name 3 of Oda Nobunaga's sons by memory, she exclaimed even she didn't know that one.
I have read Shogun at least a dozen time over since the mid 80s. I am probably the biggest Shogun (book) fan on the forum. Even my handle came out of it.

I have seen the original TV adaptation of Shogun too, but I didn't think it made any justice, they changed it quite a bit. There were no sub-titles for Japanese dialogue too.

But the new TV adaptation... Holy Cow! It is so loyal to the book, leaving out only the parts that are too gross or too difficult to portray on the screen. It is just mind-blowing.

The one thing the first TV adaptation got right was the casting for Toranaga. It was Toshiro Mifune then, and Hiroyuki Sanada now. Who can complain...
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 09:40   #5358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had absolutely no idea that Grey's Anatomy still existed; until I saw this post pop-up on my Facebook feed today. I think my interest had waned, especially around Season 13 or so.
OT: Grey's Anatomy will probably go on until Meredith's children become doctors, and then they take over. And yes, even I stopped watching around S11.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 11:53   #5359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
While I know about this for a very long time but, unfortunately never saw even a single episode of this much touted series.
Grey's Anatomy is definitely one of the best dramas of it's time. Try watching a couple of episodes to see if you like it. Wide-range of emotions across the seasons. Shonda Rhimes at her very best here. Her other show "Scandal" is equally nice too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
OT: Grey's Anatomy will probably go on until Meredith's children become doctors, and then they take over. And yes, even I stopped watching around S11.
Haha! I can totally imagine the makers exploring that arc to finally bring the series to a close.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 00:37   #5360
Distinguished - BHPian

Warriors
OTT : Netflix
5/5

I’m so glad that I bumped into this series and got hook, line and sinker right from first frame. 3 Seasons and 30 Episodes and so far have completed 5-episodes and every moment of this series is gripping and truly watchable.

I can’t wait to relish rest of the 25 episodes which I am hoping is as good as the 5 watched till date. No wonder IMDB ratings are 9+ for this series and truly deserve it.

This is prime example of how a series should be and has the most magnificent- settings, character development, storyline, attention to detail, acting and finally, best fight sequences in a series on OTT platform.

This is so unbelievable because it’s set in the 1880’s San Francisco. And, I am in awe to see this city look like this 150 years ago as I visit this place almost once in a month so have a to-date comparison.

During that period (1880’s) large amount of Chinese migrants legally or illegally arrived in the US (no wonder SFO is a hub for Chinese folks and other big ones being NYC and Vancouver, Canada). One such migrant is Ah Sahm, a highly skilled fighter and whole story is set around him and how he joins a Chinese gang in Chinatown of SFO and how they fight the rival gang which was the Irish mob forms the crux of the story.

The action scenes are superbly choreographed and performed and are quite believable - Ah Sahm is one good looking Japanese who speaks perfect English (which surprises many in the beginning) and his looks and even his fights remind me of Bruce Lee. Coincidentally, this show was conceived by Bruce Lee and is produced by his daughter so the feel is not so surprising now.

If you enjoy periodic settings with lot of modern etchings, best action in any series on an OTT platform then this one is a must-watch.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 11:43   #5361

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The first five seasons were great. Then it started dipping. Then rushing downhill.
udaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 11:52   #5362

I just watched The Gentlemen on Netflix. I enjoyed the movie that it's based on as well. It's a good casual watch with some fun characters. Guy Ritchie's direction style keeps things exciting and fun. The cast was also decent. Would give it 7/10
VtechSupreme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 15:47   #5363
Senior - BHPian

I just finished watching the 2 seasons of The Tourist on Netflix. I found it to be gripping and funny with each character reminiscent of a Quentin Tarantino movie. The series opens with the main character being run off the road by a truck, and then waking up in a hospital with no memory of his past life. Even though he has forgotten everything, apparently his enemies have not. Imagine being chased by a bunch of goons and having no idea why! That itself is somewhat funny right there. He is helped by a goodie two shoes cop who no one believes in. The two make for an odd but interesting pair.

I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for something to watch on Netflix.
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 00:38   #5364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I just finished watching the 2 seasons of The Tourist on Netflix. I found it to be gripping and funny with each character reminiscent of a Quentin Tarantino movie. The series opens with the main character being run off the road by a truck, and then waking up in a hospital with no memory of his past life. Even though he has forgotten everything, apparently his enemies have not. Imagine being chased by a bunch of goons and having no idea why! That itself is somewhat funny right there. He is helped by a goodie two shoes cop who no one believes in. The two make for an odd but interesting pair.

I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for something to watch on Netflix.
Nice Amitoj. I saw the first series a few weeks back when it was released on Netflix and was super impressed with this series. Netflix is picking up good shows even if they are old (this one is 2015, I think) as I'm a fan of Jamie Dornan (He was amazing in the other Irish series- The Fall. If you haven't seen it, it's a mandatory watch).

I absolutely love his Irish accent. Just too good. The Australian woman was such a breath of fresh air and acted so well.

This one gave me a feeling of "Fargo Series" and I'm a bit disappointed that Olafur Olaffson had a small role, as he was dynamite whenever he came on the screen.

I haven't started Season 2. Is it better than Season 1?

My rating for Tourist Season 1 playing on Netflix : 4/5
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 00:46   #5365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I haven't started Season 2. Is it better than Season 1?
Thanks for recommending The Fall. Will definitely check it out, now that I have exhausted the Scandinavian crime drama scene.

I thought Season 2 was even better than Season 1, at the risk of giving you high hopes. I don't think you'll be disappointed though.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 07:52   #5366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtechSupreme View Post
I just watched The Gentlemen on Netflix. I enjoyed the movie that it's based on as well. It's a good casual watch with some fun characters. Guy Ritchie's direction style keeps things exciting and fun. The cast was also decent. Would give it 7/10
I've started watching this. As light hearted entertainment, I am enjoying it. Typical Guy Richie theme - Toffs Vs the Toughs
Old 11th March 2024, 08:57   #5367
Team-BHP Support

Gentlemen (series): Netflix
4 / 5.

The middle episodes get a bit clinical but it really picks up in the last few. Perhaps I’m being overcritical because my expectations were sky high as a huge Guy Ritchie fan.

Overall this is still a 4 on 5 for me. Typical Guy Ritchie but don’t expect the minute by minute thrills that a feature film allows to translate into the series.

I was looking for The Tourist (the series) based on the posts above. I guess this has perhaps only released on Netflix overseas at this point. Couldn’t see this listed in Netflix India.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th March 2024 at 20:07.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 12:20   #5368
BHPian

Finished watching Poacher on Prime Video. We watched it in parts, couple of episodes per day over a few days.

The makers seem to have done meticulous research and on-boarded quality Wildlife experts in the making of this series. A series centered on such a serious topic needed to be handled with sensitivity and the makers and the cast have done a terrific job of putting this together.

The CGI animals appearing intermittently on screen does seem a little too much at times, but still not garish though.

The way the entire case and the trajectory of poaching has been explained to the viewers is simplistic and hence palatable. Without the usual drama and masala which is a hallmark of OTT content these days, Poacher really shines with a relatively unknown cast (to the mainstream) and an off-beat theme.

There are moments when your heart really feels the pain of the elephants that laid down their lives in the quest of some madmen to earn millions selling their ivory.

Rating: 4/5
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 05:21   #5369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Gentlemen (series): Netflix
4 / 5.

The middle episodes get a bit clinical but it really picks up in the last few but perhaps I’m being overcritical because my expectations were sky high as a huge Guy Ritchie fan.

Overall this is still a 4 on 5 for me. Typical Guy Ritchie but don’t expect the minute by minute thrills that a feature film allows to translate into the series.
Same here. I am in that middle portion you mention and wondering why the protagonist keeps digging new holes. Glad to see Ritchie still doing his thing though and that the last episodes get pacey.

Quote:
I had absolutely no idea that Grey's Anatomy still existed; I think my interest had waned, especially around Season 13 or so.
Your interest lasted a whole 10 seasons longer than mine.

Last edited by amol4184 : 12th March 2024 at 05:23.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 06:25   #5370
BHPian

The first episode of Elsbeth has landed and I watched it with much intrigue. Those who don't know Elsbeth, she was a character in The Good Wife and The Good Fight and she now gets a series of her own. Unfortunately while Elsbeth was a lawyer in the above two series, the makers of Elsbeth decided to turn her into a "detective".

The first episode is pretty pedestrian, but Carrie Preston is, as usual, hillarious as Elsbeth. She is a able to make Detective Elsbeth as quirky and engaging as Attorney Elsbeth. Hope they write better episodes in the coming weeks. While the first episode aired on Feb 29, the second one will come only in April. Maybe they want to take feedback before they decide the trajectory of the show. Whether Elsbeth stays on as a detective or goes back to lawyering has to be seen.

Last edited by dragonfire : 12th March 2024 at 06:26.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks