Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2023, 17:31   #5206
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Stumbled upon the trailer of The BOYS season-4. Says 2024 release but no timeline yet.

Antony Starr looks as menacing as ever as Homelander

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th December 2023 at 17:32.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 22:02   #5207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Shehar Lakhot Amazon Prime

Being a long time admirer of Navdeep Singh- the man who gave us the splendid Manorama Six Feet Under, this series suddenly popped up recently and I started watching it with gusto. This is another wonderful noir crime drama about a small town where many stories of deceit, betrayal, crime happen simultaneously.
Rating: 4/5
I always wondered what happened to the maker of this wonderful movie called Manorama Six Feet Under and then I read this review and went on to finish the series in one sitting. Thank you for this review else I would not have seen this series. Also, it featured one of my most listened-to songs of the year in the closing scene - "Dhumrapaan" by "Itra" and all I can say is this was so apt. A must watch.

PS: The dialogues are full of expletives.
roamer012 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 23:23   #5208
Distinguished - BHPian

Blood Coast

OTT : Netflix

Rating : 4/5

I usually don't watch an all out action movie as over the time, most action has become over the top and I like the action to be as much realistic as possible.

However, this one was pretty good and an absolutely riveting series with respect to action, suspense and most importantly a perfect background score complimenting the series.

Set in Marseille, France. This story is about a bunch of nutcase cops as they never do things by the book and are in hunt for 2 rival drug gangs who want to lay their dominance in Marseille.

Cops are brutal and the villains are even more brutal.

Check it out if you like action, suspense and pretty locations (anything with a European background is generally pretty).
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 22:37   #5209
BHPian

Detectorists, free to watch on YouTube. I mean, such a joy, clean TV show. Writing is good, acting is good. Some of the British dramas are really genuine and very relatable.
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 02:58   #5210
BHPian

Slow Horses

OTT : Apple TV

Rating : 3.5/5

Series about the MI-5 and has some typical Brit humor, I liked the Season 1 than the 2 and 3. Good production values , fast paced and some good acting by the crew.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 21:49   #5211
BHPian

Reacher season 2 on Prime
I liked Season 1 of the Reacher series. Started with season 2 which has been partially released with 3 episodes on 15th Dec. Rest episodes will follow. I certainly hate this kind of release but looks like every industry including Automobiles have been following this trend.

Coming to season 2, I found it kind of monotonous and predictable. Cliche plot, old unit gathered to avenge murder of a pal, rekindling old sparks with all masala. All possess extraordinary intelligence which is borderline ridiculous to believe. Protagonist does what he is best at - beat around objects. In one scene it's shown, he kicks Ford's bumper so hard which results into airbag deployment. This is certainly Rajanikant Territory
Suspense, thrill are missing.
My rating 2.5/5
StepUP! is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 14:43   #5212
BHPian

Remaining episodes of The Freelancer out on Hotstar. Found the whole series quite watchable. The pace was quite good and so were the performances.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 20:33   #5213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
The Freelancer
+1. It was surprisingly good and I was hooked right from the 1st episode. Almost a Tom Clancy video game in the last episode.

Best of Neeraj Pandey yet, surpassing A Wednesday and Special 26, not just because this is without any big stars (except Anupam Kher), but overall execution too.

What I don't understand is why the second half wasn't released along with the first, when the content was already available (they showed some of it's scenes at the end of first half).
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 23:53   #5214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Remaining episodes of The Freelancer out on Hotstar. Found the whole series quite watchable. The pace was quite good and so were the performances.
I was waiting for the conclusion episodes after the brilliant first few ones but frankly I felt disappointed. Just when the whole thing was pointing towards an exciting climax, the ending was such a dull affair. The whole premise of extraction from a dangerous and heavily guarded area needed much more urgency and drama. Without taking anything, the series could have been so much more better and thrilling. Let’s hope that the second season is better. Being a Neeraj Pandey creation, expectations are always high. Just my views of course
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 11:12   #5215
BHPian

Watched The Railway Men on Netflix.

Since it's a limited series, there are just 4 episodes.

The plight of the 1984 Bhopal Gas Tragedy victims really moves something inside you. The vivid horror lives on even today.

Top-notch performances by every actor! The theme is so different than the usual OTT stuff being dished-out these days.

Definitely an ode to the unsung heroes of the Indian Railways.

Rating: 4.5/5
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 17:17   #5216
Senior - BHPian

Reacher:

While S1 felt like a breath of fresh air, S2 seems a bit contrived thus far. Too many characters sharing screen time hurts the Reacher persona.

Maybe the remaining episodes will be better
Old 18th December 2023, 21:12   #5217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post

Coming to season 2, I found it kind of monotonous and predictable. Cliche plot, old unit gathered to avenge murder of a pal, rekindling old sparks with all masala. All possess extraordinary intelligence which is borderline ridiculous to believe. Protagonist does what he is best at - beat around objects. In one scene it's shown, he kicks Ford's bumper so hard which results into airbag deployment. This is certainly Rajanikant Territory.
Suspense, thrill are missing.
My rating 2.5/5
I beg to differ. When a scraggly built Rajnikant and Pavan Kalyan kick a car the air bags don't go off but, the car " flies in air".

When Reacher kicked the car, it was with brute force and you can feel it (Please rewind the scene and see again).

Not sure if you read Lee Child books, Reacher is described just how Alan Ritchson is portrayed- 6 feet.5 in brute of a man.

Child describes that when Reacher hits someone, he stays " hit". Therefore, every punch/kick you see in the series is absolute brutal.

In my opinion, fantastic choice of Alan as Reacher (compared to the amusing choice of Tom Cruise in the movies).

Reacher- Season 2

I'm down 2 episodes and agree to some extent that MP's were shown " unnecessarily" brilliant and also mouthing cliche dialogues. Well, Hollywood is known for this for decades so we better lap it up.

When you leave the aforementioned part aside, Season 2 is equally good.

Love it when Reacher kicks some backsides.

I can already see that this series is here for a long haul.

4/5

P.S : I just ordered 5 Lee Child paperbacks from India as a tribute to Season 2.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 01:05   #5218
BHPian

Maybe Alan Ritchson fits the description of Reacher as recorded in the books, but as somebody who don't carry the burden of having read the books, Tom Cruise looks like a better fit. The way this guy speaks and walks is funny. And he looks like a dumb fellow yet they want us to believe that he is extremely intelligent. Sorry, something really is wrong here.

I managed to sleep during some of the episodes of Season 1. And I did doze off during episode 1 of Season 2. But episodes 2 and 3 were better. Anyway I am going to watch it to the end.

Meanwhile the season 5 of Fargo is really funny. Am savouring every moment of it.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 09:55   #5219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Meanwhile the season 5 of Fargo is really funny. Am savouring every moment of it.
Where/how are you watching it?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 10:17   #5220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Maybe Alan Ritchson fits the description of Reacher as recorded in the books, but as somebody who don't carry the burden of having read the books, Tom Cruise looks like a better fit. The way this guy speaks and walks is funny. And he looks like a dumb fellow yet they want us to believe that he is extremely intelligent. Sorry, something really is wrong here.

I managed to sleep during some of the episodes of Season 1. And I did doze off during episode 1 of Season 2. But episodes 2 and 3 were better. Anyway I am going to watch it to the end.

Well he was a good investigator when he was with the MP and Alan fits the description of Reacher in the book unlike Mr Cruise. A nomad after his Army days, he wanders town to town and can't help but poke his nose into trouble

Big fan of the books so you can imagine my surprise when they cast Tom Cruise as Reacher

" he is described as having "a six-pack like a cobbled city street, a chest like a suit of NFL armor, biceps like basketballs, and subcutaneous fat like a Kleenex tissue. In his youth, his physical appearance was likened to that of a "bulked-up greyhound""
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks