Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2023, 10:18   #5131
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Treason on Netflix

A typical intelligence-bureau thriller/drama set in the UK. Nothing unique in the storyline. Bodyguard (reviewed earlier) is much better.

2.5/5
Old 6th October 2023, 12:49   #5132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you share where this is streaming?
Thanks..
I had to go old school for this since its not streaming in India.
Old 6th October 2023, 13:13   #5133
BHPian

Watched Charlie Chopra & The Mystery Of Solang Valley 4/5 Sony Liv.
Based on the novel The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie and directed by Vishal Bharadwaj, Starring some very good actors who do very well, especially Wamika Gabbi.
Nicely done, however it also could have been a movie instead of a series!
Gulshan Grover hasn't changed one bit since the last 30 years or so!
aspire is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 15:17   #5134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks for this recommendation.
I would suggest you watch the second season as well; it is even better than the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If you like the lead actress I can recommend another good show featuring her - C.B. Strike.
I have watched all the seasons of CB Strike and completely agree with you that it is one of the best shows we have.
Old 8th October 2023, 16:02   #5135
Distinguished - BHPian

It could just be chalked down to the lack of sunshine, adequate exercise and what not because of which I probably have low testosterone in my blood - but here I am, in the 5th season of Virgin River on Netflix. Ahem, I'm not saying that I've replaced my testosterone with female hormones. My pronouns are still "he/him". Yet, I've gotten so far in this series and while enjoying it thoroughly.

Quite simply, it's a drama series that you would normally expect the women in the household to binge on. But in one intense episode of the show, I even found my eyes welling up with sympathetic tears. God damn! I need to resume hitting the gym and need to man up...I should punch a few "manly" men on the street too, for good measure

Seriously - the show has good writing, the sceneries are epic and maybe through the show I'm just vicariously living out my dreams of living in seclusion in the middle of nowhere amid greenery, hills and rivers. And since I find myself comparing Virgin River to the good old days spent watching Buniyaad and Nukkad on Doordarshan long ago - I have to also say that there is an element of simplicity in this series where you connect with the characters as they go through their daily lives and start feeling for them.

You can watch it if you're up for some simple and joyful TV watching.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 20:20   #5136
BHPian

Kumari Srimathi (Telugu) - 3.5/5

I do not understand Telugu but the subtitles were enough for me to enjoy this very nicely made series of seven episodes. Never a dull moment, excellent photography and rib tickling one liners. Nithya Menen's story all the way but not discounting the acting of the entire cast. Women empowerment in a very subtle manner.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 8th October 2023 at 20:27.
Old 9th October 2023, 13:40   #5137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Seriously - the show has good writing, the sceneries are epic and maybe through the show I'm just vicariously living out my dreams of living in seclusion in the middle of nowhere amid greenery, hills and rivers. And since I find myself comparing Virgin River to the good old days spent watching Buniyaad and Nukkad on Doordarshan long ago - I have to also say that there is an element of simplicity in this series where you connect with the characters as they go through their daily lives and start feeling for them.

You can watch it if you're up for some simple and joyful TV watching.
You have mentioned two of the most iconic names from the good old days of Doordarshan and that is more than enough reason for me to watch the series that you have recommended. Thanks much
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 15:00   #5138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
It could just be chalked down to the lack of sunshine, adequate exercise and what not because of which I probably have low testosterone in my blood - but here I am, in the 5th season of Virgin River on Netflix. Ahem, I'm not saying that I've replaced my testosterone with female hormones. My pronouns are still "he/him". Yet, I've gotten so far in this series and while enjoying it thoroughly.
And I thought it was unmanly for me to accept that I watched the whole "Downton Abbey" including the film

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th October 2023 at 03:02. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
1lokesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 20:51   #5139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
You have mentioned two of the most iconic names from the good old days of Doordarshan and that is more than enough reason for me to watch the series that you have recommended. Thanks much
Caveat emptor - all 3 of these shows immerse us in the daily lives of ordinary people, true. That's a thread of commonality they do share. But I might have erred by setting the bar too high for "Virgin river". I'm not sure anything can equal, let alone surpass, Buniyaad or Nukkad.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 01:54   #5140
Team-BHP Support

Something for fans of Pawn Stars - a reality show called Hardcore Pawn. The Youtube channel has some of the shows. Sample:

This show gives a more realistic idea about how pawn broking works in USA. In Pawn Stars, mostly well to do folks bring in exotic stuff to sell. But in real life, pawn broking business is about buying/selling used electronics/furniture/clothes/jewellery etc and also actual pawning (loans against collateral)

Looks like the show was quite popular (9 Seasons)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_Pawn

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th October 2023 at 09:50.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 14:40   #5141
Distinguished - BHPian

Kark Rogue - Bengali (Hindi audio available)

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-1.jpg

A strictly average watch. Acting was pretty decent and I wouldn't call this a typical "edge of the seat" sort of thriller. Storyline is not something new but just added some flavour to make us think it's new.
Too many aggressive adult scenes which I felt was unnecessary.

Rating - 2.5/5 (Available on Zee5).

Bhoomi Enna Suthuthey - Telugu (Tamil audio available)

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-2.jpg

Time loop concept. Not sure about Amala's acting and some of the investigations/interrogations were really bad (some obvious questions/thoughts will come to our mind). Editing was decent but could have made it better since this was based on a time loop so there were many scenes repeated.

Rating - 3/5 (Available on aha). Time-pass watch.
Old 12th October 2023, 21:02   #5142
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai Diaries Amazon Prime.

Second season of Mumbai Diaries is better than season one in my view. While the first one was about 26/11 terror attacks, second season is about 26/07 Mumbai floods. Scope of acting is better in the second season and almost everyone has played their parts well. Surprise package is Parambrata Chatterjee who has almost most nailed his abusive husband character to the T. Surprising since he has always played the good boy part all his life.

One standout scene is between Mohit Raina and Tina Desai in the last episode. I wonder why Tina Desai doesn’t work often. She is always brilliant in whatever she has played till date. Every actor is relatable and have done justice to their roles. Recommended watch.

Rating: 3.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
A strictly average watch. Acting was pretty decent and I wouldn't call this a typical "edge of the seat" sort of thriller. Storyline is not something new but just added some flavour to make us think it's new.
Since you watch Bangla stories, please give Raktokorobi a watch on the same streaming platform. Good actors, decent performances and definitely a good watch.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 18:59   #5143
BHPian

Lupin - Season 3

The season 3 of the popular French TV series - Lupin based on a French novel about a ‘gentleman thief’ is out. It’s really good as expected with the 7 episodes leaving you at the edge of the seat with its suspenses, twists and turns!

Season 3 isn’t as grandiose as the first two seasons though but is more grounded with more drama and character development.

The ended clearly alluded to a season 4, so can’t wait!

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-img_6985.jpeg
Old 17th October 2023, 10:36   #5144
BHPian

Loki Season 2 on Disney Hotstar

Episode 1 & 2.

Simply couldn't connect with this. I'm a Marvel fan (more of DC comics though) but there seems to be a sharp dip in the MCU. There was a sense of urgency in the first episode that only the characters felt. I just kept wondering "why" the entire episode.

Ms. Marvel was the first thing MCU that I skipped and the upcoming movie The Marvels might be the next.
IF Disney keeps churning out average stuff it won't be long before it has to sell MCU as well.

Disappointed.
Old 17th October 2023, 14:15   #5145
BHPian

The Canadian TV series 'Departure' Season 1 starts well - keeping you glued to your seat. It is about the disappearance of a British Plane ala the Malaysian airline AH 370 disappearance. The plot thickens after some time.
Legendary Actor Christopher Plummer stars in this TV series. Archie Punjabi is the lead actor in this thriller.

I don't know how the rest of the seasons will turn out.
As for the first season, I would rate it 4/5.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks