Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2024, 09:05   #5251
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

On a separate note, I recently happened to subscribe to HULU during Christmas as they threw in a fab deal for a year.

I see "Fargo" the series is listed. I heard a lot about it that it's an amazing dark, comedic and thrilling series and has a lot of similarities of Coen Brothers movie by same name (Loved the movie).

There are 5 Seasons and 50 episodes. I am bit intitmidated by the volume of episodes.

Is it worth starting and is all seasons sequential or independent?

Inputs from Fargo fans would be appreciated.
Old 6th January 2024, 09:46   #5252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yes please. Fargo is an amazing crime drama series. Each one has a different plot, different set of actors and is set in a different timeline. Very clever storytelling and has some great twists.

I am yet to watch the latest one which was released last month.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 09:59   #5253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
There are 5 Seasons and 50 episodes. I am bit intitmidated by the volume of episodes.

Inputs from Fargo fans would be appreciated.
Season 1 is brilliant. Remember how you had one scene in the movie where Frances McDormand goes over the crime scene and pretty much works out how the murder was committed just by looking at the tracks and blood? It’s taught as a great character intro to show your hero is smart in just a few minutes.

In Season 1 there is a spooky line by Billy when he asks one of the guys: "Did you know that the human eye can see more shades of green than any other color? My question for you is, why?”

The answer to this intriguing question tells you who the hero is. It’s outstanding writing.

Watch it since it has Billy Bob Thornton in it, making his comeback too TV - he followed it up with the equally brilliant ‘Goliath’ - which is again something that is a must-watch.

Seasons 1 & 2 are technically connected as it’s mentioned in 1 about one of the characters back story and 2 is that back story set in the past and you see a lot of those characters’ younger lives in 2. So 1&2 you should watch in sequence.

3 is not connected and I frankly didn’t like it as much. 4 is meh but 5 is apparently good. Haven’t seen it (I think it’s gone off the OTT scene in India and Hulu isn’t available ) but it’s being said they’ve found their mojo back.
Evyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 10:51   #5254
BHPian

Fargo season 1 & 2 are high quality television. I did not like season 3, only watched couple of episodes. What do folks think about other seasons compared to season 1 and 2?
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 11:23   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
Fargo season 1 & 2 are high quality television. I did not like season 3, only watched couple of episodes. What do folks think about other seasons compared to season 1 and 2?
You are right. Season 3 was trash. Season 4 was good, but it is not classic Fargo. Just another gangster mini-series mixed with some comedy. Season 5 is back to what Fargo used to be. It is on episode 8 now and am sad it will be over in another 2.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 15:11   #5256
BHPian

Quote:
Agree. Season 3 despite having Even McGregor was almost like they were making it just for the sake of it. 4 was even worse. I think the core of Fargo is weird characters in a snowbound noir. They tried to keep it the same but the twins, the violence in season 3, despite being in the Coen brothers zone of dark humour was not upto the mark. They also cast ‘big name’ actors so there was that issue too. Fargo otherwise went for great actors not big name stars like in 3. Twins played by the same actor in various ‘looks’ is a big red flag for me haha! I think Noah Hawley also felt a bit tired since he created and wrote the seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
You are right. Season 3 was trash. Season 4 was good, but it is not classic Fargo. Just another gangster mini-series mixed with some comedy. Season 5 is back to what Fargo used to be. It is on episode 8 now and am sad it will be over in another 2.
Agree. I’ve also heard great things about season 5.
Old 6th January 2024, 16:03   #5257
BHPian

Little off topic, but I am currently doing my umpteenth re-run of the classic: The West Wing.

Could not find it on any OTT platform surprisingly. Glad to have downloaded on all seasons few years back and stored on my HDD.

Truly timeless!
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 20:31   #5258
Team-BHP Support

On which platform does one watch Fargo 5 in India?
Old 6th January 2024, 20:47   #5259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
On which platform does one watch Fargo 5 in India?
Can watch at SBS australia, on VPN, needs a free registration, however a tad disappointed with the latest season, but wont be surprised if they turn it completely around in the last couple of episodes.
Old 7th January 2024, 11:16   #5260

Quote:
Fargo fans should stop watching at the end of season 2. Could not even bear to watch 10 minutes of S03E01.
Old 7th January 2024, 11:29   #5261
Senior - BHPian

Fargo Season 1 and 2 ranks among the best shows on OTT/TV I have ever watched.
However, Season 3 was not that great and Season 4 I couldn't even finish.
So, kind of lost interest in Season 5.

I would recommend everyone to watch the first 2 seasons, those are brilliant.
And it's absolutely fine to stop after Season 2.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 13:13   #5262
BHPian

Like Most people said, for me too,
Fargo S01 - 5/5 Solid!! - Billy Bob was just wow!!!
S02 4.75/5
S03 1/5
S04 1/5
S05 4.5/5 Looks like the have got back on track with S05.
One thing most noteworthy in FARGO, I felt was the background score!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Slow Horses

OTT : Apple TV

Rating : 3.5/5

Series about the MI-5 and has some typical Brit humor, I liked the Season 1 than the 2 and 3. Good production values , fast paced and some good acting by the crew.
Slow Horses!!!
What a misleading title! Not one horse in any of the episodes I saw and DEFINITELY it is not Slow!!
It is actually, quite the opposite! It is a very good spy-thriller kind of series, with 6-7 episodes in each season. Thrilling, fast paced, some times make you cringe and literally close your nose when Gary oldman (the lead actor) makes those disgusting sounds!! , the usual cuss words, thrown in with a lot of sarcastic dry brit humor.
Good casting and very good performance from all the actors, definitely a very good watch!

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th January 2024 at 14:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Old 7th January 2024, 23:05   #5263
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here who followed '24' season 1 / season 2 ? Was broadcast in the US 20 years back. Kiefer Sutherland in lead, with the gorgeous Elisha Cuthbert also in it.
Old 8th January 2024, 10:41   #5264
Senior - BHPian

Gen V:

While I liked watching The Boys, i was not too keen on watching Gen V. But on a whim, decided to give it a go. And it's been a pretty good ride thus far

As with The Boys, this is also not for the squeamish.
Old 8th January 2024, 11:28   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Anyone here who followed '24' season 1 / season 2 ? Was broadcast in the US 20 years back. Kiefer Sutherland in lead, with the gorgeous Elisha Cuthbert also in it.
YES! I was a crazy fan of "24". Have watched all seasons, however the later seasons just failed to live up to the standard.

P.s. Available on Hotstar.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 8th January 2024 at 11:30.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks