Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2024, 02:18   #5236
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Just finished seeing James Mays -Our Man in Japan. on Amazon Prime.

Have seen this series immediately after The Grand Tour- Eurocrash I genuinely felt the solo show way more funnier than The Grand Tour which, to be honest, has started to lose its shine. Purely my opinion and mine alone.

As for 'Our man in Japan' - I loved it all the more coz it evoked a lot of fond memories of my travel to Japan and gives me a good list of things I did not do last time around and a reason to go again.

In Comparison, Our Man in Italy is seeming to be a bit meh. Perhaps I should reserve my comments since I have only seen 1 Episode.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 2nd January 2024 at 02:19.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 07:44   #5237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Just finished seeing James Mays -Our Man in Japan. on Amazon Prime.

Have seen this series immediately after The Grand Tour- Eurocrash I genuinely felt the solo show way more funnier than The Grand Tour which, to be honest, has started to lose its shine. Purely my opinion and mine alone.

As for 'Our man in Japan' - I loved it all the more coz it evoked a lot of fond memories of my travel to Japan and gives me a good list of things I did not do last time around and a reason to go again.

In Comparison, Our Man in Italy is seeming to be a bit meh. Perhaps I should reserve my comments since I have only seen 1 Episode.
Some of their individual shows are really good (all three of them).

Japan series was really good and you are right on the Italy one - It's not as good as the first one.

Watch out for "Our man in India", which is releasing on Jan 4th or 5th.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:14   #5238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Some of their individual shows are really good (all three of them).

Japan series was really good and you are right on the Italy one - It's not as good as the first one.

Watch out for "Our man in India", which is releasing on Jan 4th or 5th.
I felt that Hammond's Great Escapists was a bit of a drag but Clarkson's farm and May's Our Man in series really are good.

And as for Our Man In India, hope he goes a bit off the way but I guess that's asking for too much
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:28   #5239
BHPian

Had watched "Still" recently. The Michael J Fox documentary is a must-watch for fans of the beloved actor (like myself.) The movie closely examines Fox’s life as an actor and a man struggling with Parkinson’s disease. Available on Apple TV.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19853258/
Old 2nd January 2024, 12:03   #5240
BHPian

Watched Curry & Cyanide: The Jolly Joseph Case on Netflix.

Was expecting some sort of investigative exposé, but alas, this turned out to be a damp squib. They have largely based the documentary on details available in the public domain already, with the addition of video bytes from the family members of the accused: Jolly Joseph.

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 2nd January 2024, 15:33   #5241
BHPian

Watched 1883 on a binge started on 30th finished on 1st it was too good, easily a rating of 4.5/5 on Prime...I think next would be the 1923 and Yellowstone.
Old 3rd January 2024, 23:59   #5242
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy Valley (Season 1)

OTT : Amazon Prime

Rating : 5/5

Stumbled upon this by accident and thoroughly enjoyed this amazing series.

This is yet another British Thriller series set in a small town in Yorkshire, England. This is a story of a middle aged British lady cop who handles her personal demons while battling the dirty business happening in her small town.

Absolutely thrilling series with beautiful English countryside locales, brilliant acting by everyone (especially the lead star) and quite fast paced.

I read somewhere that the director (Sally Wainwright) created this series only for the lead star (Catherine Cawed) which tells a lot about how much she must have loved her acting.

Don't miss it if you love British Thriller series. I can't wait to continue with rest of the seasons.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 01:54   #5243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Not sure if you read Lee Child books, Reacher is described just how Alan Ritchson is portrayed- 6 feet.5 in brute of a man.

Another smart Hollywood thing - Alan Ritchson is actually not 6.5. He’s approx 6.2 but the makers have shot and framed him smartly to look larger, even casting shorter people to make him look so huge

That said, I loved season 1, 2 is a bit too ‘filmy’ for me.

Big fan of Reacher. Read that author Lee Child named him so since he himself is 6.5 and once when reaching for the top shelf at a supermarket his wife joked if he lost his job he will always get a job as a ‘reacher’ at a supermarket for the top shelf!

But I loved the fact that Reacher is a loner and most of the books have been set in back of beyond towns where he’s passing through. He’s not even supposed to own a credit card if I’m not mistaken. He only carries cash. He’s more like a wandering hermit. This season is based on book no.11 in the series (Bad luck and trouble) which I don’t think is among the best.. maybe they should have followed the book order. Gotten to his team and group much later in season 3 or 4. We would have gotten to know him a little more.

Agree that Tom Cruise was not a great Reacher though he is a damn good actor (much better than Alan IMO) - but partially thanks to him we got this series since it brought attention to the character in Hollywood.
Evyas is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 04:18   #5244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
Another smart Hollywood thing - Alan Ritchson is actually not 6.5. He’s approx 6.2 but the makers have shot and framed him smartly to look larger, even casting shorter people to make him look so huge

That said, I loved season 1, 2 is a bit too ‘filmy’ for me.
Oh Darn! I was not aware he was not that tall. I'm 6.1 so he is just an inch taller than me. Wish I got the role.

Jokes apart, Now that you mention, most of the shots are grounds up to make him look larger than he really is. But, he is one big guy for sure.

Neagly is tall and rest of the folks are short. Good observation.

Quote:
Big fan of Reacher. Read that author Lee Child named him so since he himself is 6.5 and once when reaching for the top shelf at a supermarket his wife joked if he lost his job he will always get a job as a ‘reacher’ at a supermarket for the top shelf!
Hilarious. Thanks for sharing this interesting anecdote. I wasn't aware about this one.

Quote:
But I loved the fact that Reacher is a loner and most of the books have been set in back of beyond towns where he’s passing through. He’s not even supposed to own a credit card if I’m not mistaken. He only carries cash. He’s more like a wandering hermit. This season is based on book no.11 in the series (Bad luck and trouble) which I don’t think is among the best.. maybe they should have followed the book order. Gotten to his team and group much later in season 3 or 4. We would have gotten to know him a little more.

Agree that Tom Cruise was not a great Reacher though he is a damn good actor (much better than Alan IMO) - but partially thanks to him we got this series since it brought attention to the character in Hollywood.
Absolutely true. If and when you read the books, the way Child describes Reacher makes him sound like a true " fighting machine" and always ready to get into a fight. He almost loves getting into a fight.

Agree, Bad Luck and Trouble is not one of his best works. I vividly remember the following 5 as my favorites and I ordered these paperbacks as part of my books collection.

1. Killing Floor (Made into a movie starring Tom Cruise)- Alan's version in a series should be more interesting.
2. One Shot
3. Worth Dying For
4. Gone Tomorrow
5. Without Fail

With that said, I'm enjoying Season 2 also immensely. I agree it's a bit more dramatic and little over the top. But, heck it's still an awesome take on the book.

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th January 2024 at 04:20.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 16:51   #5245
BHPian

Quote:
Oh Darn! I was not aware he was not that tall. I'm 6.1 so he is just an inch taller than me. Wish I got the role.

1. Killing Floor (Made into a movie starring Tom Cruise)- Alan's version in a series should be more interesting.
2. One Shot
3. Worth Dying For
4. Gone Tomorrow
5. Without Fail

With that said, I'm enjoying Season 2 also immensely. I agree it's a bit more dramatic and little over the top. But, heck it's still an awesome take on the book.
Haha yes. He’s actually my height so I am first in line for the role

Also Killing Floor was season 1 of this Reacher if I’m not mistaken. The season actually followed the first book quite closely. The 2 Cruise movies were based off ‘One Shot’ and ‘Never Go Back’ mixed with some other plot lines.
Evyas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 22:18   #5246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also Killing Floor was season 1 of this Reacher if I’m not mistaken. The season actually followed the first book quite closely. The 2 Cruise movies were based off ‘One Shot’ and ‘Never Go Back’ mixed with some other plot lines.
Take it. You deserve the role.

My bad. Yes, Season 1 was based off Killing Floor.

No wonder they started the series with the best and it certainly became the benchmark which people are comparing the Season 2 with.

One-Shot is another favorite book. It's a crazy storyline and one of the best reads for sure.

Hope they use this book for Season 3.
Old 5th January 2024, 11:05   #5247
BHPian

Captains of the World

OTT : Netflix

It is a documentary on behind the scenes of the FIFA WC 2022. If you are interested or love football then definitely a good watch. It has just 6 episodes. Not to forget and rewatch those moments when the little boy from Rosario shook hands with paradise ;-)

Also, I like how Netflix is getting more shows related to sports- F1, Tennis and now Football.

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 5th January 2024 at 11:13. Reason: Added a line.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 11:17   #5248
BHPian

Quote:
Happy Valley (Season 1)

OTT : Amazon Prime

Rating : 5/5

Stumbled upon this by accident and thoroughly enjoyed this amazing series.

This is yet another British Thriller series set in a small town in Yorkshire, England. This is a story of a middle aged British lady cop who handles her personal demons while battling the dirty business happening in her small town.

Its on BBC player when I checked. Not on Prime.
Old 5th January 2024, 12:27   #5249
Senior - BHPian

Anyone taken BBC player subscription?
Worth paying 599/year ?

What are some of the good shows movies exclusively there?
Please provide your feedback, thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 22:26   #5250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Its on BBC player when I checked. Not on Prime.
My bad. It's AMC+ via. Amazon Prime.

Gosh, I don't know how many subscriptions I have. Need to make a serious note and unsubscribe a few.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-img_0602.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks