Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
  Search this Thread
1,590,044 views
Old 7th August 2023, 11:09   #5056
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 573
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
The Hunt for Veerappan - Netflix

A retelling of two decades spent hunting and being hunted by the notorious brigand Veerappan. The docuseries interviews Veerappan's wife, cops who spent years combing the forest for him, journalists, his gang members and known associates with plenty of old footage interspersed. All in all found it to be very engaging watch and would recommend highly.
Came to post about the same. Really liked the way they have done this. Good cinematography (although on the darker side) and good music. Even after knowing the story, the details from people involved in his hunt is very interesting. You can still see arrogance and Veerappan was right attitude from his wife.
4.5/5.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:36   #5057
BHPian
 
Engine_Roars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 416
Thanked: 2,539 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
The Hunt for Veerappan - Netflix

A retelling of two decades spent hunting and being hunted by the notorious brigand Veerappan. The docuseries interviews Veerappan's wife, cops who spent years combing the forest for him, journalists, his gang members and known associates with plenty of old footage interspersed. All in all found it to be very engaging watch and would recommend highly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Came to post about the same. Really liked the way they have done this. Good cinematography (although on the darker side) and good music. Even after knowing the story, the details from people involved in his hunt is very interesting. You can still see arrogance and Veerappan was right attitude from his wife.
4.5/5.
One hell of a documentary. I still am wondering how on earth did that person could kill 1000s of elephants, 97 of police personnel & many others, kidnap some powerful people & still roamed around for more than 20 years without letting anyone even come close to him. One thing I am sure of is, our forces should not be very proud of this chapter. They failed to capture him or kill him for more than 20 years, with all the state machinery working with/for them.
Engine_Roars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 09:42   #5058
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 70,468
Thanked: 300,017 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Saas, Bahu aur Flamingo on Disney+ Hotstar - 4 /5
Thanks for the recommendation. Had bookmarked it based on your post and me + better half loved it . It's a rather unusual series though and not everyone's cup of tea. Also takes 2 episodes to really grip you, but from thereon, you are all in.

We are eagerly looking forward to an episode each evening, post dinner. Dimple is fantastic, as are most of the other actors (especially the strong female crew).

Must make special mention of the attire & their language. Simply wow. Would recommend it to BHPians who are open to something "different".
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 10:05   #5059
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 9,580
Thanked: 14,395 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Reacher on Amazon Prime.

Have watched 3 episodes, I like what I am watching. Ratings were positive and I got hooked to it. Will take me a week to complete it, it's a mix of crime plus action. Will edit or post a fresh note once done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

You are in for a treat if you like this genre. I am eagerly awaiting the next season.
Watched.

It's good and one time watchable. Last episode was too filmy / bollywoodish.
Sheel is offline  
Old 11th August 2023, 13:03   #5060
Senior - BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 4,076 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
One hell of a documentary. I still am wondering how on earth did that person could kill 1000s of elephants, 97 of police personnel & many others, kidnap some powerful people & still roamed around for more than 20 years without letting anyone even come close to him. One thing I am sure of is, our forces should not be very proud of this chapter. They failed to capture him or kill him for more than 20 years, with all the state machinery working with/for them.
While the Documentary was well shot, i felt it was very superficial and not very multi dimensional. People who have appeared on camera are either Veerapan empathisers or ex- police folks. Both of them conveniently take their sides. Veerapan was a merciless killer, that doesn’t come through in the documentary at all. No way you can have people glorifying him on camera! An insult to the lives lost! And the so called police force’s alleged atrocities on the village people have also been underplayed. So, while the documentary is good, it lacks depth. Also, there is not even a hint of what external help he may have received, seems unbelievable that he could have pulled this off for 20 years without some outside influence. The documentary has no new revelations as such, just what we knew all along.
motorworks is offline  
Old 11th August 2023, 13:25   #5061
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 9,386
Thanked: 13,287 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Is there a nice S1 summary of Made in Heaven available somewhere? We really liked S1 but do not remember much of it, considering it was released years back. Will need a revision before we start S2.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th August 2023 at 13:57.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 14:48   #5062
BHPian
 
WorkingGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 529
Thanked: 2,212 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

The Hunt for Veerappan - Netflix

The "documentary" humanises a mass-murdering plunderer whose family, friends & associates were not just beneficiaries, but hand-in-glove with all his activities. A large part of the documentaries narrative tries to undeservedly validate & legitimise a skewed perspective (of his "nobility" & "love" for nature!) that they've been afforded for some very strange reason. The wife even went on to stand for elections. (Edit : They probably must have money stashed somewhere.)

Unbelievable!
WorkingGuru is offline  
Old 11th August 2023, 14:53   #5063
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 573
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
The Hunt for Veerappan - Netflix

The "documentary" humanises a mass-murdering plunderer whose family, friends & associates were not just beneficiaries, but hand-in-glove with all his activities. A large part of the documentaries narrative tries to undeservedly validate & legitimise a skewed perspective (of his "nobility" & "love" for nature!) that they've been afforded for some very strange reason. The wife even went on to stand for elections. (Edit : They probably must have money stashed somewhere.)

Unbelievable!
Documentaries usually present all perspectives. Its left to the people to judge. The human, noble perspective that some had is true. Its even true that TN was little indifferent in the beginning. When we have movies that glorify violence fictionally, its all based on these kind of real situations. One person's terrorist is other's freedom fighter, right ?
PreludeSH is offline  
Old 11th August 2023, 16:02   #5064
Senior - BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 3,278
Thanked: 9,646 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is there a nice S1 summary of Made in Heaven available somewhere? We really liked S1 but do not remember much of it, considering it was released years back. Will need a revision before we start S2.
S1 was all about LSD, which are the 3 key ingredients(add Crime as 4th one) of most series these days. Made in Heaven is wedding planner company who deal with elite families of Delhi.

Last edited by PrideRed : 11th August 2023 at 16:03.
PrideRed is offline  
Old 11th August 2023, 18:33   #5065
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 216
Thanked: 1,140 Times

Finished Lincoln Lawyer Season 2. Compared to Season 1, this one was very loose in its storyline and refused to keep you hooked. It is a case of trying too hard and failing miserably.
For Michael Connelly fans (books) and for Bosch/Bosch Legacy fans, this might be a one time watch. But i would not waste my precious time on this and will rather watch it when there is nothing to do and maybe watch it at 2X speed

Rating: 2/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
T Dimple is fantastic, as are most of the other actors (especially the strong female crew).

Must make special mention of the attire & their language. Simply wow. Would recommend it to BHPians who are open to something "different".
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Tt0z8QzfiKg
Absolutely true. Amazing serial and maybe one of its kind. Might start spawning similar ones soon. Dimple was brilliant and so were the other women. There is oh so many women in this serial. Gender diversity at its best. I loved the locale, the rustic beauty and ofcourse the heavy attire and the tattoos. They add such a class. Good one time watch for sure

Last edited by Sheel : 12th August 2023 at 10:21. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 02:49   #5066
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ABHI_1512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 937
Thanked: 11,128 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Made in Heaven-2 Amazon Prime

After the superlative season 1, this show comes up with the second season with a bang. Season 2 has equally good stories with two of the episodes being really good. One featuring Mrunal Thakur and another featuring Radhika Apte really stand out. The concurrent stories of the main protagonists carry on swiftly along the fresh stories with each episode. Some really sensitive subjects involving the prejudices in our country have been taken and shown admirably but I would have personally preferred some restraint because some preachiness does show up with few of the episodes. No complaints though on the acting part with all superlative actors playing their parts commendably but special mention for Shivani Raghuvanshi and Trinetra Halder who played the part of Mehar brilliantly. Recommended watch.

Rating: 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is there a nice S1 summary of Made in Heaven available somewhere? We really liked S1 but do not remember much of it, considering it was released years back. Will need a revision before we start S2.
There is a small synopsis of season 1 at the start of the season 2. The stories were anyways new for every episode with the main cast remaining the same.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 12th August 2023 at 02:51.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 19:02   #5067
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Thane - MH04
Posts: 592
Thanked: 2,283 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is there a nice S1 summary of Made in Heaven available somewhere? We really liked S1 but do not remember much of it, considering it was released years back. Will need a revision before we start S2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
S1 was all about LSD, which are the 3 key ingredients(add Crime as 4th one) of most series these days. Made in Heaven is wedding planner company who deal with elite families of Delhi.
What an over dose (4x Patiala Shots...that level) of negativity is there in this series

But the acting is good, subjects are meaningful and human emotions/reactions/selfishness are shown quite well. Worth a watch for the topic that they have chosen to highlight.

Rating: 3/5 (-2 for the negativity overdose)

Last edited by sunilch : 14th August 2023 at 19:08.
sunilch is offline  
Old 14th August 2023, 19:47   #5068
Senior - BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 3,278
Thanked: 9,646 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
What an over dose (4x Patiala Shots...that level) of negativity is there in this series

But the acting is good, subjects are meaningful and human emotions/reactions/selfishness are shown quite well. Worth a watch for the topic that they have chosen to highlight.

Rating: 3/5 (-2 for the negativity overdose)
Its well made and as you mentioned some great acting. That said, every episode felt similar with different characters and slightly different plot! Would have been nice if they showcased some positivity too!
PrideRed is offline  
Old 14th August 2023, 19:53   #5069
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Thane - MH04
Posts: 592
Thanked: 2,283 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Its well made and as you mentioned some great acting. That said, every episode felt similar with different characters and slightly different plot! Would have been nice if they showcased some positivity too!
Yes, every episode tells you that every human in NCR (the setting, the primary theme where the Weddings are planned) is either a Criminal, or a Subjugated soul looking for the escape. He is either a Sexual Predator or a Gold Digger.

Wish there was some goodness to showcase. I am sure NCR isn't that bad a place to live as a society
sunilch is offline  
Old 15th August 2023, 03:23   #5070
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 31
Thanked: 74 Times
Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM-4 View Post
Any "Mentalist" fans here?
Though they lost the plot post Season 4, it was still a very good show. Simon Baker and Robin Tunny were very good.
I recently watched it and I gotta say I was hooked ! The way he solved crimes and the way Red John was portrayed was honestly amazing. Other than Sherlock, this was really entertaining.
I personally feel that after the mid of season 6 the plot was lost a little but the ending was at least good.
Ghost131100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks