Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2023, 12:27   #4966
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The Wire is often considered the pinnacle of TV Shows and the quintessential television drama for accurate portrayal of various institutions.
Just started on The Shield which is quoted to be fairly similar. Saw the first 2 episodes and it seems to be a good watch. Again shows the underbelly of police force.
Old 16th June 2023, 12:33   #4967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Talking about the ashes yesterday and my cricket loving wife has not watched The Bodyline miniseries that came out in 1984 and I used to watch it on DD back in the day.

Any idea where it is available to watch?
The entire series is available on Youtube. Such a captivating series back in those days of good old Doordarshan. One can now recognise a young Hugo Weaving who later on played the iconic character of Agent Smith from the movie Matrix, playing Douglas Jardine. The url doesn't seem to work here in the forum, so deleting the link. You can just search by Bodyline 1984 and the series will pop up.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 16th June 2023 at 12:39.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:02   #4968
BHPian

Watched Arnold

A 4 part docu-series, talking about Arnold Schwarzenegger about his life, childhood and career.

Seemed like crisp and engrossing story of his life, parents, family etc. Enjoyed watching it. Can rate 4/5****

Good watch, if not great!
saildrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 18:33   #4969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The last one week has been very frustrating for Mrs and me.
=======
Thinking of giving Succession a shot.
Do give Wire another chance. It is such a fantastic series. Succession will also need a couple of episodes to get hooked.
Wire is top notch though, will leave a void once you are done watching it
abhi_krishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 19:12   #4970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

- Mindhunter
- Ozark
- The Wire
All these three are slow burners, which need patience from viewers. Mindhunter is dark (just like Dahmer), but it gets more and more interesting and reels in viewers as they proceed. You should give it a shot unless you don't like dark/docu-drama type of content, around serial killers or law breakers. In fact I was very upset when David Fincher (director of Mindhunter) announced there would be no further seasons to this series.
LordSharan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 10:17   #4971
BHPian

School of Lies Hotstar 1/5

Somehow ended up watching this, absolutely nothing is worth watching except the location, only person to even act properly was a 10 year old! Absolutely cringeworthy.

Bizarre plot, poor acting, poorly formed characters, would not have wasted my time with this had Asur 2 been on Hotstar!
Old 18th June 2023, 11:28   #4972
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Eddy: Deep dive into Succession. It's an exceptional show that will have you hooked. I'm just completing Season 4 and still craving for more.

These days, the choice is enormous. If a show doesn't hold me in 2 - 3 episodes, I move onto the next big thing. Too many new shows & movies today, instead of wasting time on the ones that don't interest you.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 11:33   #4973
Team-BHP Support

Thank you for your inputs, everyone.

I think the problem is us. Maybe we are just too exhausted of watching TV series. Wife is travelling now for a week and I have decided to take a break from all the TV. Time to detox.

Will spend a little more time on books and learning.

Maybe we will start with Succession when we resume. S4 is the last season, right?
Old 19th June 2023, 00:03   #4974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Black Mirror. One of the best TV series.
Loch Henry and Beyond the Sea are spectacular. Rest of them so-so.
Old 19th June 2023, 00:11   #4975
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Loch Henry and Beyond the Sea are spectacular. Rest of them so-so.
I actually like 'Joan is Awful' the most followed by the others you mentioned. Mazey day was awful. The previous seasons were definitely better.
Old 19th June 2023, 04:58   #4976
Team-BHP Support

We just started watching Black Mirror yesterday and got blown away by the sheer shock storylines in the first 3 episodes of Season 1. I did observe it was getting more dark in terms of content across these 3. Will see how the rest of the season pans out.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:17   #4977
Senior - BHPian

Tour De France: Unchained
Rating -9/10 (Must watch)

I love sports and sports docu-series... The Last Dance based on Michael Jordan remains one of my all-time favourite TV series. Though I am a sports lover, I never followed cycling as a sport. I had heard about Tour De France from fellow cyclist enthusiasts but didn't know much about it.

I started watching this series casually with low expectations, it took me a few episodes to understand the various jargons, the format of the tour, teams, and key riders. But I got totally hooked into it after 2-3 episodes and ended up binge watching the 8 episodes this weekend. And I must say that it ranks right at the top among sports-based docu-series I have ever watched, and way better than 'Drive to Survive' (may be just a tad below the Last Dance).

I had no idea that cycling can be so grueling, exciting, spectacular, and dangerous. Some the moments in the series literally scared me, like - going full speed in the mountains while descending at over 100 kmph through hairpin ends with no protection whatsoever. Another aspect which I found intriguing was the strategy and teamwork which are probably even more important than the rider himself. And on top of this, the gorgeous scenery, the crowd, the passion and atmosphere made it absolutely exhilarating to watch.

I think many BHPians and sports-lovers will like this show a lot.

Last edited by adimicra : 19th June 2023 at 12:18.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 12:05   #4978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
We just started watching Black Mirror yesterday and got blown away by the sheer shock storylines in the first 3 episodes of Season 1. I did observe it was getting more dark in terms of content across these 3. Will see how the rest of the season pans out.
Can't agree more with you. Black Mirror is wicked. The first episode itself completely freaked me out and each episode actually shocks you gradually. Intense and very well enacted by well known actors, this series is one innovative show for sure. Now that the latest season is out, let's see how those pan out.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 12:11   #4979
Senior - BHPian

Under the Dome on Amazon Prime.

Season 1 looked pretty interesting which got me hooked. However 2nd was relatively underwhelming and final 3rd season was horrible. Bad acting and worse CGI. Had to finish for closure. Can be avoided.

Rating: 2/5
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 12:15   #4980
BHPian

I would like to suggest some solid English and Korean series that I watched, these are really really good if you like the crime/drama/mystery/thriller genres. I am trying to call out the lesser-known ones here, as many fantastic shows have already been referred by our BHPians.

Korean
Signal (series) = 9/10
Stranger (series) = 8.5/10 (Slow Burn, Lead actor Cho Seung-woo is fabulous)
The Call (Movie) = 9/10
Strangers from Hell (series) = 7.5/10 (Psychological type, the lead actor Si-Wan Yim is fantastic and he is cast in Squid Game-2 as well)
Unlocked (Movie) = 7.5/10 (Crime, Drama)
Hospital Playlist (series) = 9/10 (Comedy, Drama, this is the best feel-good series I have ever seen)

Japanese
Midnight Diner (series) = 9.5/10 (cozy Drama, watch only late in the night with a blanket around you, savor it!)

English
Severance (series) = 9.5/10 (Drama, sci-fi, Mystery)
Unbelievable (series) = 9/10 (Drama, Crime)
Nocturnal Animals (movie) = 9/10 (neo-noir, Drama)
Sharp Objects (series) = 8.5/10 (Slow Burn, crime, mystery)
Mindhunter = 9/10 (Crime, Slow Burn)
Mare of Eastown (series) = 9/10 (Slow Burn, crime)
Get out (movie) = 8/10 (Thriller)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (series) =9.5/10 (Comedy, see this only if you like Seinfeld)
Love Death + Robots (series) = 9/10 (animation, but not for the faint-hearted)
Big Little Lies (series) = 8.5/10 (Drama, crime, mystery)

Spanish
The secret in their eyes = 8/10 (Drama, crime, don't watch the English version)

Icelandic
Trapped/Entrapped (series) = 8/10 (Drama, crime)
ThatCarGuy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks