Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2023, 14:45   #4951
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Saas, Bahu aur Flamingo on Disney+ Hotstar - 4 /5
Out of curiosity, waited till midnight and stated watching on the dot at midnight - when all episodes were made available. Completed all 8 episodes back to back by 6.30 AM, talk about an all nighter !!

In the cast - Dimple Kapadia owns her character to the fullest - in some ways reminded of how strong Sushmita's character stood out in Aarya. Lots of other good performances all around. If you are one who liked the Mirzapur / Gangs of Wasseypur kind of stories - buy your popcorn today evening. Deepak Dobriyal is fantastic too - the writers should have given him and his character more airtime to build it up, I feel. The background score is also something that stayed with me.

Word of caution: All episodes are strictly Adult - lots of everything that comes with this genre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I watched it yday and honestly it didnt even come close to a km of Mirzapur. The story is slow, characters arent etched properly. The fierceness is missing in the series and add a couple of non required characters, it became a bore to watch. I would suggest to give it a miss and not fall for the posters.
For a person who never watches Hindi movies, I loved it, the women were wonderful!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 17:18   #4952
Senior - BHPian

I see several BHPians have liked and recommended the Diplomat webseries.
However, even after a lot of effort, I just could not continue beyond the first 3 episodes.
I am no expert on international politics, diplomacy and foreign relations but I have at least some idea thanks to watching lot of movies, documentaries and web series.
But this one was way above the top for me to digest, may be it's good for knowledgeable people.I have no shame in admitting that it's not for me.

Took Jio subscription and started watching the 4th season of Succession, and it completely lives up to the huge expectations I had. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes.
Old 10th June 2023, 22:47   #4953
BHPian

Season 6 of Black Mirror is releasing on Netflix on June 15th. Personally, did not enjoy season 5 as much as earlier ones. Still, the series is an all time favourite of mine and I'm eagerly waiting.

Last edited by IndieGooner : 10th June 2023 at 22:48. Reason: Typos
IndieGooner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 01:38   #4954
Team-BHP Support

The last one week has been very frustrating for Mrs and me. None of the series we started could hold our attention for more than a few episodes:

- Mindhunter
- Ozark
- Saas Bahu Flamingo
- Dahaad (I liked it, Mrs did not want to watch another serial killer thingie)
- The Wire

We could not finish season 1 of any of the above.

Thing is, we prefer watching a series only after all seasons are out. We hate cloffhanger endings and having to wait a while for the next season.

Thinking of giving Succession a shot.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 06:54   #4955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The last one week has been very frustrating for Mrs and me.
- The Wire

I would suggest give The Wire another shot and have your subtitles on. It is an absolutely brilliant series. The only challenge is the slangs that they use. It takes time to get familiar, but once you do then it’s amazing. To this day, my son calls me Wee Bey, not sure why though !
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 07:10   #4956
BHPian

Quote:
The last one week has been very frustrating for Mrs and me. None of the series we started could hold our attention for more than a few episodes:

- Mindhunter
- Ozark
- Saas Bahu Flamingo
- Dahaad (I liked it, Mrs did not want to watch another serial killer thingie)
- The Wire

Thing is, we prefer watching a series only after all seasons are out. We hate cloffhanger endings and having to wait a while for the next season.

Thinking of giving Succession a shot.
I prefer short series for this very reason. Usually if a series is a hit, they keep on producing season after season, often every season getting less and less entertaining. Series like "You", "stranger things", even "Money Heist" fall into this category. Never managed to complete full seasons of you and Stranger things.

Of longer series, Game of Thrones is the only one where I watched it in full (last episode was a disaster). "Umbrella Academy" is another one I enjoyed, but a new season is coming for it as well.

Try watching "Beef" on Netflix, if you haven't already. Just 8 episodes and it's quite enjoyable. Quirky comedy (can't go wrong with Ali Wong in the lead. she is hilarious even when silent).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:01   #4957
Senior - BHPian

For those who had the misfortune of watching NBC's Blacklist in the last 10 years. The misery is finally coming to an end in mid-July when the final episodes air.

So far 18 episodes aired and the final 4 remain!
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:12   #4958
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- The Wire
I had a similar experience with "The Wire"
Watched 2-3 episodes but the show failed to grab my attention. After almost a year I started watching again and gradually began to like it. I realized one of the reasons it happened because the character development is really slow. Also since the show is about the story of Baltimore city, it takes time get the big picture and connect the dots between the police department, the politics, DA, and the Drug scene.

This is one of the best shows I've watched. Do not miss it
JVH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 12:56   #4959
BHPian

Recently finished "Tokyo Vice" - 4/5 for me. It's a story of a foreigner who comes to Tokyo to pursue his journalistic career (crime reporter to be precise). Works hard to get a position in Japan's biggest newspaper, and gradually makes in-roads to the famous "Yakuza" clans exposing underbelly of Tokyo. Most of the show is in Japanese, but subtitles will help you get through it easily. Show is based on this the real life memoirs of an American journalist with the same name as the lead character in the show - Jack Adelstein.
What I liked:
Each character has a well developed storyline,
realistic and true to life story telling,
neither romanticising nor demeaning the yakuza
and most importantly the complex situations between law enforcement and press.
Eagerly waiting for Season 2. Season 1 ended in cliffhanger as expected.

Available in India on Amazon Prime within the paywall of Lionsgate. 1st episode is free to watch though.

Old 15th June 2023, 13:42   #4960
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Ozark
- The Wire
I only started enjoying Ozark after the initial 10-15 episodes. Both shows require a bit of patience & loads of time.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 15:46   #4961
BHPian

Now Voot Select is shutdown and merged with JioCinema? I got 6 months free JioCinema and voot Select app showed big banner mentioning all favourite content is on JioCinema, with voucher code. Also, not able go beyond the banner in Voot Select App. Dexter is present in JioCinema, so I presume whole conent has been moved.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 19:02   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
- The Wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I had a similar experience with "The Wire"
This is one of the best shows I've watched. Do not miss it
The Wire is often considered the pinnacle of TV Shows and the quintessential television drama for accurate portrayal of various institutions.

Give it time. It took me and the missus 3 tries to get hooked to it. You'll have to power through the first three episodes though. DO ENABLE subtitles.
Old 15th June 2023, 21:43   #4963
BHPian

Asur Season 1 and 2 on Jio Cinema
This is a very well directed series barring few instances. I loved the detailing and depth - be it autopsy, technology like AI, investigation details, forensics etc. Also the fusion of mythology with the overall plot is superb. It really plays with your ideas of good and bad, justice, God, Demigod.
Somethings are made too simple or coincidental. Some scenes are too melodratic or stretched.
Cast selection is also perfect. Though Arshad could have done better.
One more good thing is they have avoided nuidity, swearing scenes.
Rating 4.5/5

The Raikar Case on Jio Cinema
This murder mistry unfolds in Goa within rich businessman's family. Somehow I knew who is the murderer after watching first episode. Now a days they have made it easy to predict.
Plot reveals so many secrets - gives a feeling of watching Ekta Kapoor's serial. So much drama in one family alone.
Atul Kulkarni is wasted. But detailing of characters - politicians, businessman is quite good.
Rating 3/5
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 12:13   #4964
Senior - BHPian

Talking about the ashes yesterday and my cricket loving wife has not watched The Bodyline miniseries that came out in 1984 and I used to watch it on DD back in the day.

Any idea where it is available to watch?
Old 16th June 2023, 12:26   #4965
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Black Mirror. One of the best TV series. If you are into sci-fi, especially the ones which involve a dystopian world, you can not afford to miss this. Each and every episode of this series is different from each other and the only thing binding them is that they take place in a dystopian world. Many episodes could have actually been released as stand alone movies. The season 6 was made available on Netflix yesterday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks