Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2024, 15:20   #5446
Team-BHP Support

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Bill Burr's review of Shogun...

Old 1st May 2024, 09:00   #5447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you really think about this, the main lead of the show is actually Toda Mariko, making this a female-centric show.
Quote:
There is no story left for second season, unless they make it up.
Indeed, Mariko sama turned out to be the real star. With her deep melancholy, she anchors every scene that she is a part of. I also liked Yabushige as he has this ability to lift up scenes when they become too sombre.

I am ambiguous about the ending though. We see how Toranada has played his cards well and out manoeuvred his opponents like a grand chess game, and that is the hallmark of a great strategist. But there could have been at least one grand battle, like the well choreographed Battle of the *******s in GoT.

There is definitely scope for the future. How does Ishido sama react to the loss of power? How will the church and concubines solve their tensions? Does Anjin get to build another fleet ? So many questions that can be answered. And in the middle of it, quiet interludes of life in Japan that really fill up the series.
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 10:08   #5448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
I also liked Yabushige as he has this ability to lift up scenes when they become too sombre.
He is nothing like that in book, also his name is Kasigi Yabu. The actor they used is a cheerful fellow.

Quote:
But there could have been at least one grand battle, like the well choreographed Battle of the *******s in GoT.
Even the book doesn't have the battle. This is the last page of the book, that's the entire description of the battle.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-screenshot-20240501-100354.png

Quote:
There is definitely scope for the future. How does Ishido sama react to the loss of power?
Ishido doesn't survive the battle as you can see above.

Quote:
How will the church and concubines solve their tensions? Does Anjin get to build another fleet ? So many questions that can be answered. And in the middle of it, quiet interludes of life in Japan that really fill up the series.
Church gets thrown out of Japan. The Tea house starts tradition of Geisha which lasts until 20th century.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 11:33   #5449
BHPian

Quote:
He is nothing like that in book.
Oh okay then that's closure for the series. Maybe skip a few generations and bring a new storyline then ?
Old 2nd May 2024, 14:25   #5450
Distinguished - BHPian

Panchayat season 3 to premiere on Prime from May 28.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-20240502_142410.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 15:47   #5451
Team-BHP Support

Lootere on Hotstar

It's about pirates / Somalia, a bit different than other Hindi genres, but episodes are long & IMO, too stretched, scenes could be shortened. Is a one time watch.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 16:02   #5452
BHPian

Netflix: House of Ninjas
Very good watch.
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-ninja1.jpeg
aston_martyr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 23:03   #5453
Distinguished - BHPian

Baby Reindeer
Rating: 4/5
OTT: Netflix

“If you aren't living a life worth living, then can someone ruin it at all?” That's the protagonists view of a bad situation. Funny, eh?

One of the most profound miniseries I’ve seen in a while.

Richard Gadd playing himself in this story based on true events from his life makes one of the most devastatingly (cannot stress this enough) pure and deep performances I have ever seen. Imagine an opposite gender stalking you and making your life miserable and you like it only for the reason that you are getting attention and think that your life is not worthy a dime? That's one confused state of mind.

The depiction of such a complex trauma is raw and visceral. This series plays with multiple human emotions which is as complex as it can get.

Being a massive fan of British tales, this one is also one of the finest and imagining the trauma the man must have gone through after facing that situation.

Please note : This series has depiction of trauma, sexual assault and is unsuitable for family viewing and also stay away if you cannot handle trauma.
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 23:25   #5454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Baby Reindeer
Rating: 4/5
OTT: Netflix

One of the most profound miniseries I’ve seen in a while.
Thanks! Been reading rave reviews (by reviews, I mean headlines ) about this series so it is on my list.

I finished watching a couple of French series. Furies and Anthracite. Both were pretty average. I watched them because I am learning French, otherwise there is nothing compelling about either of them.

Last edited by amitoj : 3rd May 2024 at 23:26.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 23:50   #5455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thanks! Been reading rave reviews (by reviews, I mean headlines ) about this series so it is on my list.

I finished watching a couple of French series. Furies and Anthracite. Both were pretty average. I watched them because I am learning French, otherwise there is nothing compelling about either of them.
Yeah, it's pretty heart breaking.

Woman played an amazing role. You feel hate, pity, empathy and pure anger towards her. (I mean, I felt the same so I can imagine Richard's confusion...lol)

It's a dark tale and not a light watch by any means.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th May 2024 at 07:59. Reason: Edited out a scene depiction from a late episode.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 23:00   #5456
Distinguished - BHPian

Heeramandi

OTT : Netflix

Rating : 1/5

Now that Leela Bhansali is unable to draw crowds to movie theaters, he too has moved to the small screen. a.k.a OTT.

The premise of the life story of the high class tawaifs (prostitutes) was not a very novel theme but, we braved and waded through the first episode and immediately gave up.

It's just silly grandeur for the sake of it, haggard looking actress, weird customes that don't even suit the characters well and lastly, the plot is nowhere interesting.

Probably, I don't like this genre. Whatever the case, removed it from our watchlist.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 01:11   #5457
Distinguished - BHPian

Baby Reindeer Netflix

Saw this series some time back but finally putting my thoughts into it.. It is one of the most profound and agonisingly dark tale I have seen till now. That the series is inspired by a true story makes it even more devastating. The first few episodes reminded me of a Hindi movie of yesteryears named Pyar Tune Kya Kiya but then as the episodes went on, it turned into something else all together. Little slow to begin with but the tempo constantly shifts upwards until the dramatic finale. Poignant, heartbreaking and sometimes traumatic, this series is a masterpiece. Recommended highly but as mobike008 mentioned above, it’s not a series for the light hearted.

Rating: 5/5.

The Broken News-2 ZEE5

Just as the first season, the second season is also equally brilliant if not some more. Contemporary state of present day journalism has been aptly shown with quite a number of recent stories also encapsulated into the storyline. All the actors have done justice to their roles. Jaideep Ahlawat and Supriya Pilgaonkar have author backed roles but it was Sonali Bendre who stole the show in the second season. The finale episode is brilliant and adds just the right amount of zing to the whole series. I am surprised that this series came out of ZEE stable. Recommended watch, again.

Rating: 4/5.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 11:03   #5458
Senior - BHPian

Shogun:

After much delays, I finally got around to watching it. I love shows/movies based on old Japanese times and I had great expectations for this series.

Amazing stuff no doubt and would be definitely watching it if there was a second season coming out, but as a historical series, I personally would rate Marco Polo better than this. At least the first season

Loved the little intricacies of Japanese culture they have showcased in Shogun. The sheer weight they had for honour was amazing!

And yes I wanted a full scale samurai battle with ships and chain shots and what not when they were talking about crimson sky, but the fact that he managed to circumvent that and still come up on top speaks about his thinking and the sacrifices by people who believed in him.

Fallout:
Have not played the game but generally like post apocalypse stuff and this was ok. Nothing great but decent time pass.

(SAS) Rogue Heroes:
A clip of this series came up on my youtube feed and that made me watch the show. Had spots of classic Brit comedy and whatdevilry in this and the ACDC/Black Sabbath soundtrack coupled with period songs really helped the show.

Good acting and based on true story this was a good enough show.

Oh and the clip in question:
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 11:41   #5459
BHPian

A Man in Full (NetFlix)

Based on a Tom Wolfe novel, I thought it was very good. If you've watched the movie "The Bonfire of the Vanities" also based on the same author's novel, this is nothing like it. In ''feel'' it reminded me the most of Charlie Wilson's War, but in setting, it is similar to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Jeff Daniels is exceptional. Others are very good, especially Tom Peiphery and John Michael Hill, but as the besieged tycoon Daniel eats up everyone.

I have not had much time to get through drama series for the past year or so but this was a binge.
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 18:33   #5460
BHPian

Shogun to return???

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-fb_img_1715605192364.jpg

I really hope this is true !!!!
SithDefender is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks