Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 23:36   #2416
Team-BHP Support

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

I just got to know that Money Heist Season 3 is starting in July. Looking forward

Old 17th May 2019, 04:37   #2417
Team-BHP Support

Any fans here for Shetland, on Netflix? Its a UK cop based drama, and worth a watch.
Season 3 is now out on Netlix, and i find it quite engaging even over the previous 2 seasons.
Old 17th May 2019, 05:46   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Any fans here for Shetland, on Netflix? Its a UK cop based drama, and worth a watch.
Season 3 is now out on Netlix, and i find it quite engaging even over the previous 2 seasons.
Nice. I loved Shetland. It was a suggestion Netflix threw at me after I watched Broadchurch. Will watch season 3.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:35   #2419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Nice. I loved Shetland. It was a suggestion Netflix threw at me after I watched Broadchurch. Will watch season 3.
Dont miss it. I feel Shetland S3 stepped it up a notch.
I love British cop shows, which explains why Broadchurch, Shetland, Line of Duty and The Fall are high on my must-watch list.
Old 17th May 2019, 13:53   #2420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I just got to know that Money Heist Season 3 is starting in July. Looking forward
I really liked the S1, but I got a feeler that for some reason they are dragging the story and lost interest. I stopped watching after S2 two episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Since you have Prime, I'd highly recommend 'The Missing'. If you felt S1 was better, S2 is another step up.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have already seen 2 episodes and is really keeping you on the edge.
Old 17th May 2019, 15:07   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Dont miss it. I feel Shetland S3 stepped it up a notch.
I love British cop shows, which explains why Broadchurch, Shetland, Line of Duty and The Fall are high on my must-watch list.
My bad. Just checked and realised I've already watched S3. And they've removed the series from Netflix here already. Hoping they'll get the next seasons on.

I've wanted to watch The Fall. How will you rate it against Shetland and Broadchurch?
Old 17th May 2019, 16:53   #2422

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
If you liked this version of The Office, you must watch the original The Office (UK) with Ricky Gervais. It is much, much better and the humour is also not so in-your-face. I liked the UK one better as it was tightly written, had only 2 season and a Christmas special and had clearly written characters.
The Office (UK) is one of the best comedy series I've ever watched. The highlight of the show is the typical British sarcasm and subtleness of the humour. No over the top expressions like the US version.

If you like this genre of comedies please try the show 'The Extras' written by the same writers/actors Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Both of them acted in it as well.
Old 17th May 2019, 17:09   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshithr View Post
The Office (UK) is one of the best comedy series I've ever watched. The highlight of the show is the typical British sarcasm and subtleness of the humour. No over the top expressions like the US version.

If you like this genre of comedies please try the show 'The Extras' written by the same writers/actors Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Both of them acted in it as well.
Seen that. It’s great, too.

And while on that, some old series that I can watch repeatedly are Cheers, Frasier and, more recently, Parks and Recreation

Last edited by travelwriter : 17th May 2019 at 17:10. Reason: Missed word
Old 18th May 2019, 05:03   #2424
Distinguished - BHPian

And finally, the The Big Bang Theory goes out with a bang. Seriously, the last season was probably their worst; it felt the writers had ditched them completely with the actors trying hard to make sense of the poor plot or the non-comical jokes. But the last two episodes reminds one of the previous seasons; most (if not all) loose ends are closed out and the show ends on a lovely note.
Old 18th May 2019, 07:04   #2425
Senior - BHPian

My all time favourite comedy show is over. I think it was the best finale of a series, most satisfying and well written. The writing standards went down after the first 5 seasons, but recovered during 8-9 seasons and again started downward trend a bit. Seasons 12 was more of a stretch to bring the series to conclusion.

All said and done, Sheldon Copper, the character, has become an icon in the comedy world.

Kudos to the team for carrying things for 12 long years. It became the longest running sitcom in US TV ever. Actors were paid the highest money a TV actor could get, 1 million USD per episode.

Next time I go to LA, I will visit the Big Bang Theory set, which is now kept as it is for fans to come and experience at Warner studios at Burbank.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-1558142651703.jpg  

Old 18th May 2019, 08:04   #2426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
My all time favourite comedy show is over. I think it was the best finale of a series, most satisfying and well written. The writing standards went down after the first 5 seasons, but recovered during 8-9 seasons and again started downward trend a bit.
I started watching TBBT pretty late, in end-2017 I think. My friends had then warned me not to watch after season 5, if I wanted to have good memories of the show. One of the rare times I listened to my friends, I'd say. I watched till the last episode of season 5, and no matter how tempting it was, I didn't continue after that. Now when I come across statements like the one you've made, I'm glad I took that decision and have only good things to say about the show
Old 18th May 2019, 09:57   #2427
Senior - BHPian

This was indeed my favorite show when it was helmed by Sheldon and his 3 stooges along with the pretty neighbor. The chemistry between the 5 main people was phenomenal during the initial seasons.
Then they introduced Bernadette who initially I did not like but I realized that the writers needed more characters to play with to carry on the series. But the day they got in Amy, this became from a must watch show to another show on TV. For me, it was downhill from there.
All said and done, this might well be Jim Parsons finest work and maybe one of the best comedy work ever ( charlie sheen being another) in television.

Last edited by bigron : 18th May 2019 at 10:00.
Old 21st May 2019, 05:26   #2428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I've wanted to watch The Fall. How will you rate it against Shetland and Broadchurch?

I really enjoyed The Fall, and the villian in particular - very convincing performance. If i had to rate them this is how it would be:

The Fall > Broadchurch > Shetland.
Old 21st May 2019, 06:44   #2429
BHPian

So, The Game of Thrones saga comes to an end. And IMO, such an underwhelming wrap up of what used to be a great show, probably could've been THE best show ever, not anymore. Ever since the show went ahead of the books, the writers have been fumbling in dark and Seasons 7 & 8 were a major let down for me. Sad the they have left so many loose ends untied and a hell load of questions unanswered. Planning to read the books so as to know how it actually ends up.

Criticisms apart, the show shall still be legendary for what it used to be. There was, and never will be, another show like this masterpiece. Grand Farewell!
Old 21st May 2019, 09:11   #2430
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, it did not end as well as expected but that does not take away from it's overall aura. I will miss the show, the memes, the analysis

Most Viewed