Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2023, 15:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Citibank's exit from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM View Post
It’s sad to see citi go. I have been using citi card for past 20+ yrs ...
Share the same feelings. Citi.. That never sleeps, was the tagline. It was my first card and using for 20+ yrs. Never gave me a chance to complain. Used abroad(always called them in advance about my travel plans) and it never even once disappointed. Always safe and customer friendly. It was one name you could bank upon abroad.
sukhbirST is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 21:07   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
How do you compare the services of Citi and Axis?
Simple answer: You don't!

Opt out is the best option.

Of many years of trying out many banks here are some thumb rules I arrived at:

- Good bank is just a hypothetical concept. None exist. (Citi: honorable exception that didn't last.)

- Any govt bank, irrespective of size, sucks.

- Larger private banks suck. Larger the market cap worse the service.

- Co-op? Not my cup of tea. There could be a few honorable exceptions, but I prefer to stay away from these.

- That leaves private banks on the growth path but that have not yet crossed a certain threshold and are still likely to serve you _somewhat_ well. You may have to do some trial and error to find which one works for you.

Last edited by mayuresh : 16th January 2023 at 21:09.
mayuresh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:24   #48
BHPian

I own a Citibank Indian oil card, called up their customer care to clarify the benefits and future usability of this card.

1. Axis has taken over the back-end operations of the card. For any queries, I need to contact Citibank customer care only in future.
2. All rewards points earned will remain intact and any future spending will continue to earn points depending on the nature of purchase.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 18th January 2023 at 11:30.
Mr_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I own a Citibank Indian oil card, called up their customer care to clarify the benefits and future usability of this card.

1. Axis has taken over the back-end operations of the card. For any queries, I need to contact Citibank customer care only in future.
2. All rewards points earned will remain intact and any future spending will continue to earn points depending on the nature of purchase.
I don't think the customer care is equipped to answer such questions at the moment. If 'future' means till the takeover process is complete, then it makes sense. After that, it's anybody's guess at the moment. We have to wait for official communication.

Once the takeover process is complete, i don't think Axis will want to maintain separate line of products for Citi customers. So most likely these Citibank cards will be replaced with an equivalent from Axis lineup over a period of time.

FAQ on the process is pretty elaborate on most points, but bottomline is we need to wait for official communication on how the transition is going to happen from Citi to Axis at individual account and product level.

FAQ:
https://www.online.citibank.co.in/co...df/faq-tnc.pdf
See point 35 relevant for credit cards.

Quote:
35. Will all the credit card products that I hold with Citi be transferred to Axis Bank?
The consent is applicable to all credit cards, including co-brand and corporate cards. Subject to the
final regulatory and partner approvals, some products may not be in the scope of transfer.
• For co-brand cards (IndianOil Citi Credit Card, First Citizen Citi Credit Card, & IKEA Family Card),
transfer will also be subject to agreement of the co-brand partner, which will be communicated
subsequently.
• In case any of your products could not be transferred to Axis Bank, we shall provide adequate
notice to you and communicate the choices available to you.
SilentEngine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 08:35   #50
BHPian

Email from Citi
Important update: Effective March 1, 2023, your Citi relationships will get transferred to Axis Bank.

Citibank's exit from India-screenshot_20230225083324337_com.google.android.gm.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th February 2023 at 18:56. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 09:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Email from Citi
Important update: Effective March 1, 2023, your Citi relationships will get transferred to Axis Bank
I too have received the same email. I also received my renewed credit card and add on card yesterday. They are still Citibank cards valid till 2028.

Some months back I received a customer service call regarding the transfer of business to Axis Bank. While concluding the call, the lady who spoke thanked me formally for the relationship with their bank and noted with surprise "Sir, I see you have been with us for almost thirty years."

I got the card in 1994, and bet she wouldn't have been born then! Time sure flies.

In all these years, the experience was quite pleasant. I should place it on record and feel sad to see them go. I rarely had to make any complaints. I always paid the entire dues in full, and on a few occasions when I forgot the due date and paid a couple of days late, they levied some late payment charges in the next statement. But a polite call to them the next day was enough for them to reverse it. I somehow dislike giving auto debit instructions.

Last edited by Gansan : 25th February 2023 at 10:06.
Gansan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 11:51   #52
BHPian

I've moved everything from my Citi account to the other HDFC account.

Already have HDFC and SBI. Will now open a salary account with ICICI and keep the Citi account as one with UPI. Citi was seamless, always. Will miss that for sure.
Old 27th February 2023, 12:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Citibank Removes Signboard From Iconic Kolkata Office From Where It Began India Operations

Source: NDTV

Name:  Citibank.png
Views: 249
Size:  446.0 KB

Quote:
American banking major Citi entered India in 1902 and started the consumer banking business in 1985. It was at the Kolkata office where the bank started its operations in India. However, as part of the rebranding exercise with Axis bank, the landmark signboard has been removed.

Last year, Axis Bank announced it would acquire US-based Citi's consumer business in India for ₹ 12,325 crores in one of the largest deals in the Indian financial services space, which will help it close the gap with larger peers like ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank.
Old 27th February 2023, 14:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Without taking my consent for moving my credit card account to Axis Bank, Citi assumed consent based on my card usage in Jan.
I was not happy with this & asked them to cancel my credit card, which was duly done.
Old 27th February 2023, 16:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Without taking my consent for moving my credit card account to Axis Bank, Citi assumed consent based on my card usage in Jan.
I was not happy with this & asked them to cancel my credit card, which was duly done.
Citi has sent email communication about deemed consent around November timeframe with the continued usage of Citi products. Those who didn't provided consent or didn't used the products, they closed those card accounts in Feb and gave a 45 day period to claim any reward points which is fair.
Old 27th February 2023, 16:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Citi has sent email communication about deemed consent around November timeframe with the continued usage of Citi products.
I didn't receive any email or sms on the deemed consent!

Last edited by finneyp : 27th February 2023 at 16:21.
Old 27th February 2023, 16:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:
That's bad. At least they should have intimated by SMS and email after they recorded the deemed consent.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 17:56   #58
BHPian

No one can match Citibank's customer service. I have been using the Citi Reward and Indian Oil Credit Cards since 2010 and 8 credit cards from other banks, and trust me, no one is closer to Citibank when it comes to service. Two years ago, I was in dire need of 2L. I called Citi customer service, told them the amount, and they transferred it to my SBI account within 10 minutes. Of course, it was a loan, but the turnaround time was astonishing. I gave my consent already, but from now on, my preferred credit card will be from SBI only.
GhostGrid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 18:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They did send emails and SMSes, and there was a post-login popup in CBOL.

In addition my relationship manager called me separately and informed me of the benefits and drawbacks. I eventually opted to port because according to her, that will preserve my entire history with them going back 20-ish years.

For those without relationship managers I guess customer care would have called.

Last edited by binand : 27th February 2023 at 18:44.
Old 27th February 2023, 18:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
They did send emails and SMSes, and there was a post-login popup in CBOL.
I got the credit card in Dec'22 & I didn't receive any email or SMS asking for consent.
Maybe they assumed that new customers are fine with the port-out, I was not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks