Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-125.html)

Spaghetti Kitchen (above Punjab Grill, Koramangala, opposite Shopper's Stop).

Had a Caesar's salad and for the first time in Bangalore, I had amazing sun-dried tomatoes. The Caesar's Salad was pretty dry and really authentic. It had strips of bacon which were a little too dry for my taste but overall, the taste was just amazing. The Sun-dried tomatoes really made a good salad a great one.

I also had some chicken starter which was served on a bed of spinach-something. The spinach was really good as well. The chicken was soft and juicy. Not over-cooked and hard.

I ordered a steak for the main course. It was the most expensive steak on the menu and DEAR GOD! It was the BEST steak I've had in India. Extremely juicy and the sauce was extremely tasty. Full of flavour. The only complaint I had with the steak was that it didnt have enough sauce. But it was simply amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking of that steak!

To finish it off, I ordered the Tiramisu. Which while not the best I've had was still really good.

Overall, this was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. Everything was just perfect.

The price is ridiculously high. It came to almost 2k per person! Of course, we all ate like there was no tomorrow but still.... be prepared for a shocker!

I went to Spaghetti Kitchen a few weeks ago, but to the Indiranagar branch. Man was I shocked at the prices. We had been quite frequent at the old one in Lido mall, but at that time the prices were still reasonable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD (Post 2582000)
AFAIK, Lazio has shut down sometime back.

Ive met the owner of Lazio couple of days back and he said he had to shut down his business because of Labour issues.(He is my distant relative)

BTW-He is now based at HRBR Layout and is a full time caterer.

Well its funny aint it. The same guys used to work at the original only place on Brigade Road. The only place, was like a college hangout and stood on this huge piece of land, where Mota Royal Arcade is now. After the building was done, they started the only place again. Then due to labor troubles they finally shut down. Some of the guys from there joined with the Lazio owner and started off near Ulsoor road. The Only place we see now if the third re incarnation.

Anyway, if you want steaks/sizzlers, the best place i can think of is Millers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuraliR (Post 2587216)
Even at the 'Darshini(s)' they say thick chutney for parcel and the watery chutney for people who eat there :-)

That might be more of a logistics issue. Thick chutney wont need a container, right? But this drop in quality issue i have observed the most in restaurants serving North Indian food. Not just home delivered, but takeaway food is also quite bad. Chinese restaurants are still ok. Pizza's (Dominos and PHD) dont have any difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 2586666)
Punjab Grill by Jiggs Kalra, Koramangala opposite Shooper's Stop.

Have you been to Chandni Chowk in Koramangala recently? How are they now? They used to be quite good but i have not been there in a long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 2588054)

Have you been to Chandni Chowk in Koramangala recently? How are they now? They used to be quite good but i have not been there in a long time.

Havent been there in ages to be honest. I have been there only once and that was 3 years ago!

Tried Hunan Restaurant in Koramangala diagonally opposite to Empire near JNC. Quality food for the price. Had Malaca chicken fried rice and roasted duck - Chef's special. They have lunch buffet offer at 219/- something per person which should be VFM.:thumbs up

Also had been to the new Chung Wah opened in Kalyan Nagar. Their standard of good food quality, quick time to serve is maintained, however without much of quantity. Value for money though. Chung's, which is and was just across the street - time to pack up.

Biere Club, Vittal Mallya Road.

Food is a disappointment. Very limited spread. We tried the Chicken Pasta: Decent stuff. Nothing great. Below average if you consider the price.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-271120113341.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-271120113354.jpg

Wood-fired oven thin crust pizzas: We tried one chicken pizza which was good. Again, nothing great. Very similar to what you get in other places like Woodstok, etc.... Veg pizza was also ordinary.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-271120113336.jpg
Kabab Platter: 4 chicken pieces, 3 lamb kababs, 3 fish pieces and 3 pieces of prawn. A tiny quantity for the price they charge but very tasty. The chicken and the lamb were very good.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-271120113340.jpg
Chicken wings: They are the dry type. Nothing like the ones you get at Miller's 46. They give a dipping sauce which isnt great. Overall, these wings are below average.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-271120113348.jpg
We also tried something called Tangine. We tried the one with chicken, lemon and olives. That was the only chicken option. It is basically a chicken curry with lots of veggies and 7-8 pieces. Served with what looked like Uppitu (for Kannadigas), some bread which looked like roomali rotis and some salad-veggies. Decent but again, not worth the money.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-271120113357.jpg
The best thing was the dessert. We ordered a Tiramisu but they didnt have it. The waiter recommended the Chocolate pudding served with vanilla bean ice cream and candied orange. This was just FANTASTIC! It was a lot like the chocolate fondant you get at Roadtrip. Gooey chocolate cake which is almost liquid. Lots of chocolate sauce also in the bowl. We ordered one and it got over so fast, we ordered one more!

This was simply AMAZING! It made up for the disappointment of the regular food!

Anyone been to the restaurants in Sheraton in Brigade Gateway or the Taj Vivanta in Yeshwanthpur? What was good and how much did it cost?

Hey guys, speaking of eating out in Bangalore, anyone been to "Grasshopper"? Apparently its somewhere on the outskirts of Bangalore, and it is supposed to be very classy and nice. I'm keen on taking a few friends there when we visit Bangalore next month. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 (Post 2591796)
Hey guys, speaking of eating out in Bangalore, anyone been to "Grasshopper"? Apparently its somewhere on the outskirts of Bangalore, and it is supposed to be very classy and nice. I'm keen on taking a few friends there when we visit Bangalore next month. :D

Yes, Grasshopper is one of the most classy places I've been to in Bangalore. It's a family owned and run restaurant. The cuisine is Continental and Mediterranean. The concept of a-la-carte or buffet does not exist. Food is served as per courses. You could opt for 3 course, 5 course or a 7 course meal. The portions are relatively small, but once you're through with the courses, you'd be pretty full :D

Before you go there, make sure you call them and reserve a table. No, it's not because it gets crowded. When you do call to make a reservation, they will ask you to specify your preferences, and accordingly prepare the course for you. For example, if you don't want red-meat in the courses, or if you want only sea-food. :)

It's a great place. Fantastic ambiance. 5-Stars! The only draw-back, as I see it, is the price. It was about 2k per head, when we had gone some time in 2008. Might be more now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2591824)
Yes, Grasshopper is one of the most classy places I've been to in Bangalore. It's a family owned and run restaurant. The cuisine is Continental and Mediterranean. The concept of a-la-carte or buffet does not exist. Food is served as per courses. You could opt for 3 course, 5 course or a 7 course meal. The portions are relatively small, but once you're through with the courses, you'd be pretty full :D

Before you go there, make sure you call them and reserve a table. No, it's not because it gets crowded. When you do call to make a reservation, they will ask you to specify your preferences, and accordingly prepare the course for you. For example, if you don't want red-meat in the courses, or if you want only sea-food. :)

It's a great place. Fantastic ambiance. 5-Stars! The only draw-back, as I see it, is the price. It was about 2k per head, when we had gone some time in 2008. Might be more now.

Thanks for the info suhaas307, very much appreciated. Will definitely call them and make a reservation before going there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_V (Post 2591794)
Anyone been to the restaurants in Sheraton in Brigade Gateway or the Taj Vivanta in Yeshwanthpur? What was good and how much did it cost?

Tried the dinner buffest at Sheraton and its so so. Nothing great. Not worth the money if you ask me. There is a lot of choice, but the food is not too good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 (Post 2591796)

One of the best places for a lazy sunday lunch/brunch. Great place and great ambiance. If you do go on a week day, you are bound to be all alone as well. Been there a couple of times and have enjoyed it each and every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 2591408)
Biere Club, Vittal Mallya Road.

We also tried something called Tangine.

I think you're referring to a tagine (tajine) which is an earthenware pot used in African (Moroccan) cooking, where the flavors rise up the spout like thing and then fall back down into the mains. It's akin to a reduction but more efficient.

EDIT: Went to HRC for their Thanksgiving lunch. Some of the best turkey cuts and pumpkin chocolate tart by a long stretch. Starter (pasta with tenderloin) + Main (turkey + mash + veggies + wedges + roast pumpkin) + Dessert (Chocolate pumpkin mousse tart) + Beverages for 1100 plus tax. Excellent VFM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluu (Post 2591986)
I think you're referring to a tagine (tajine) which is an earthenware pot used in African (Moroccan) cooking, where the flavors rise up the spout like thing and then fall back down into the mains. It's akin to a reduction but more efficient.

Oh yes! Absolutely! Tagine it is!

Guys,

Any pointers for a good Benne Dosa joint in and around Frazer town/MG Road/Indira Nagar.

Went to The Fat Chef (on Whitefield/Varthur Road) mid last week.

The place is actually a kind of villa/bungalow converted to a restaurant so the ambiance is quite cozy and friendly.
The menu is a mix of continental, american, italian and some more, with even some indian thrown in.

We started with Olive wrapped chicken and Vietnamese rolls along with some watermelon ice tea. The chicken was impressive. For rolls perhaps I need to acquire the taste, but didn't really like it in the first attempt. The watermelon ice tea was, well, watermelon juice mixed with ice tea. Didn't really love it, but then we got what we ordered.
For the main course we ordered Prawn Sashlik, Pepper Chicken Steak, Chicken Lasagna and Fish n Chips. Heavenly - just one word to describe the taste. Though I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the tastes since I am no expert, but all the dishes were simply brilliant specially the sashlik.

Coming to the more material parts of the experience, the prices are a bit on the higher side which I do not mind given the gustatory experience we had. What I do mind however, is the portion size of the dishes served. We were four of us me and my spouse along with my parents (none of us a heavy eaters, if fact our parents are just the opposite) and we ordered four main course dishes which we shared. At the end of the course we were left quite empty to the extent that we had to repeat some of our orders. Other than that the overall dining experience was quite pleasurable.