Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 17:23   #2131
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You should try Hyderabadi Biryani on Victoria road.

Rohan
Don't even dare going there!! It used to be a must visit place before. . .now it's all gone to dogs!!

The Hyderabad Biryani House on old airport road (adjascent to Total Mall) and the Biriyani Zone near Kundalahalli Gate are way better than this one.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:25   #2132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Did u try Hyderabad house.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You should try Hyderabadi Biryani on Victoria Road
Tried and tried.

In fact, Hyderabad Biryani was nice. But that was a few years ago. Quality has dropped drastically. It's really really bad now. Bordering on pathetic. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
By 'dum biryani' do you mean the one that they serve with a large whole potato in it? ...

...Must have been invented by a sadist )

Well, do Dum Biryani portions come with one large potato generally? LOL! When I'd visited Calcutta, I was impressed by the variety of Biryanis. Although it didn't actually originate from there, the Briyani in Calcutta is so much better than what you get in Bangalore.

You're absolutely right. Biryani is supposed to be spiced. Not spicy. It should have subtle flavours. The rice is generally cooked on top of a layer of meat and masala. This allows the flavours of the masala and meat to be soaked into the rice, in an earthen pot over a slow heat.

Overpowering flavours would suggest that the Biryani is not good. Especially if it has been made spicy.

A friend's mother makes amazing dum biryani. It's a pity that not a single restaurant has managed to deliver on this front.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th March 2012 at 17:30.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:45   #2133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
the Briyani in Calcutta is so much better than what you get in Bangalore.
Arsalan Restaurant @ Kormangala will serve you the most authentic Calcutta Biryani.

I have had biryani at almost all possible places in India & Abroad and would rate Hyderabadi biryani (Kachi Yeqni) as the best amongst all.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:09   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Well, do Dum Biryani portions come with one large potato generally? LOL! When I'd visited Calcutta, I was impressed by the variety of Biryanis. ...
A friend's mother makes amazing dum biryani. It's a pity that not a single restaurant has managed to deliver on this front.
You ate biryani in Cal, and didn't encounter that potato?

If he hears you, Prof. Ulfath Sulthan will throw a fit and yell "Jee, jee, kya to bhi to boltein na tumhein. Kya ji wo biryani, na tashte na rang, sirif itta itta dalda dal ku tumhare heart ka achar banako chhod dalte na wo. Maiee Lazeez mein waisa biryani khaku haspatal mein bharti hoku doctoran ka gaali khako aya na"

Biryani from colder climes is usually more aromatic and less teekha. You should try the biryani served in traditional Muslim wedding fare in Bangalore and surroundings (even rural areas in Andhra closer to Blr) - now THAT is biryani. As aromatic and a bit more teekha than the Hyd one - stuff you will smell on your fingertips for days. Nowhere near as teekha the 'remember tomorrow' variety Nandhini other local joints in Bangalore make for the kudka public.

And please don't compare ghar ka khana with what is available in restaurants! You will only get heart-burn.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th March 2012 at 18:12.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:15   #2135
Team-BHP Support

All this talk about biryani is making me crave for some Biryani, so without getting abused I ask this question. Where do you get good veg or egg Biryani?
Old 27th March 2012, 18:21   #2136
BHPian

To some extent, the best biryani that I have had in recent times has been at the Grand Hamza in Shivajinagar. Though not out of the world, but I can safely say that its "best among the worst." The ambience also is not bad at all.

If you ever go to this place, definitely try Lemon Chicken with hot phulkas. But otherwise, its very difficult to find a good place in bangalore which can serve authentic biryani. I guess asking a colleague to invite us to his house for lunch on the day of Eid is the best time to taste the best biryani.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:26   #2137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Arsalan Restaurant @ Kormangala will serve you the most authentic Calcutta Biryani.

I have had biryani at almost all possible places in India & Abroad and would rate Hyderabadi biryani (Kachi Yeqni) as the best amongst all.
Thank you for your suggestion. *thumbs up* Will most certainly give it a try sometime this next week, if not this.

Quote:
You ate biryani in Cal, and didn't encounter that potato?

If he hears you, Prof. Ulfath Sulthan will throw a fit and yell "Jee, jee, kya to bhi to boltein na tumhein. Kya ji wo biryani, na tashte na rang, sirif itta itta dalda dal ku tumhare heart ka achar banako chhod dalte na wo. Maiee Lazeez mein waisa biryani khaku haspatal mein bharti hoku doctoran ka gaali khako aya na"...

...And please don't compare ghar ka khana with what is available in restaurants! You will only get heart-burn.

Did I encounter it? I've never seen so many boiled potatoes in my life! LOL! It's funny. In Cal, you get nice aromatic and scrumptious biryanis. And ALL of them will have the trademark one leg-piece and one boiled potato! I quite like it, you know!

I've been to a few traditional Muslim weddings, and the biryani at most of them was just delightful.

I've had great biryani in Bangalore. But I've never paid for them. The ones you 'pay' for, ironically, are the ones that aren't worth even accepting money for. Okay, that's exaggerating. But you get it, right? *winks*

And yes, I know I shouldn't be comparing ghar-ka-khana with restaurant food. It's blasphemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Where do you get good veg or egg Biryani?
My question exactly! Let's plan a "Team-BHP and the quest for the best biryani in Bangalore" sort of meet/event? You vegetarian. Me non-vegetarian!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th March 2012 at 18:30.
Old 27th March 2012, 23:23   #2138
Senior - BHPian

Tijouri in Hotel Atria has a good veg biryani cooked dum style and possibly the closest baigan mirch ka salan you can find in bangalore. Also serves khubani ka meetha.

Even this wont be good enough for you hyderabadi's. as certified by my better half.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:59   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Talking about biryanis, there is a Hotel Taj near KR Market. It serves one of the better biryani I have eaten, especially during the month of Ramzan. It can be pretty crowded at that time though. I haven't been there personally, so I cannot comment on the ambience. All I've had is 'parcelled' biryani from here.

I used to like Hyderabaadi Biryani and it's been a while since I had it. Sad to see it losing its taste. There was a branch of this place in Majestic too (near Cottonpet entrance), but now it is closed.

I never was a fan of Biryani with the potato in it. From what I've tasted from different restaurants in Bangalore, the North Indian Biryanis (usually the ones with the potato) are pretty bland. I like it spicy and IMO Hyderabadi Biryani rules!!!!
Old 28th March 2012, 10:18   #2140
Senior - BHPian

I used to be a regular at Hydearabadi Biryani on Victoria Road in the earlier times. I was not aware that the quality has gone down nowadays.

Another outlet which I can suggest is Meghna fast food, near Jyoti Nivas college in Koramangala. They have veg biryani also. But again, I have not visited this place in the last year or so, so can't vouch for the latest taste and quality.

For those who are wondering why I have stopped visiting biryani outlets - my wife is a vegetarian. So after my marriage, my food habits have also changed slightly.

Rohan
Old 28th March 2012, 12:09   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question exactly! Let's plan a "Team-BHP and the quest for the best biryani in Bangalore" sort of meet/event? You vegetarian. Me non-vegetarian!
Shall we start this weekend.?

I am game for it.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:10   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Count me in for the Biryani hunt. Sat lunch should be fine. Sundays are tough to get out. We can start with Grand Hamza as @HorsPwr mentioned.
Old 28th March 2012, 15:33   #2143
Senior - BHPian

I would have loved to join the 'Quest for the best Biryani in town', but I'm not in town on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe some other day
Old 28th March 2012, 16:32   #2144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shall we start this weekend.?

I am game for it.
Quote:
Count me in for the Biryani hunt. Sat lunch should be fine. Sundays are tough to get out. We can start with Grand Hamza as @HorsPwr mentioned.
Sounds great guys! But I'm sort of tied up this entire week. Shall we start from the 1st of April (I promise, I'm not fooling you )
Old 28th March 2012, 16:54   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I believe Arsalan management has been changed, and it is now called Aalishan (if I remember right). food is good, and decently priced. However, I dont know how good or bad it is now that the management appears to have changed.

Lazeez is also authentic Calcutta Biryani. It helps that the genesis of both Arsalan and Lazeez is in Calcutta (so is Nizams by the way).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks