Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 10:13   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I believe Arsalan management has been changed, and it is now called Aalishan (if I remember right). food is good, and decently priced. However, I dont know how good or bad it is now that the management appears to have changed.

Lazeez is also authentic Calcutta Biryani. It helps that the genesis of both Arsalan and Lazeez is in Calcutta (so is Nizams by the way).
Thanks for the update sir.

I have been a fan of Arsalan for at-least a decade or so.I have payed numerous visits to their park circus branch @ Calcutta and the quality is always good.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 29th March 2012 at 10:22.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:08   #2147
BHPian

My Saturday afternoons are usually spent having lunch with family & freinds in bengali restaurants in Bangalore. So far I have tried out Bhajahari Manna, Bay of Bengal, Oh Calcutta. BM & OC experience was good. Last week I went to a newly opened restro, Dhekur in Doddanakundi. 2 veg thali for 620/- ; food was not that great. I have heard about 6 Ballygunje Place, but never visited there. Any other bengali restaurant is there to explore? I don't mind smaller restros too.

OT: The pub attached to Dhekur is named 'Maal'. Never seen so apt naming in case of pubs & bars :P
Old 29th March 2012, 13:37   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Any other bengali restaurant is there to explore? I don't mind smaller restros too.
Have you tried Bangaliana? I have not been there, so cannot give feedback.

Perhaps this can help - Bangaliana - Bengali delicacies
Old 29th March 2012, 15:38   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
So far I have tried out Bhajahari Manna, Bay of Bengal, Oh Calcutta. BM & OC experience was good. Any other bengali restaurant is there to explore? I don't mind smaller restros too.
I find BM, OC not value for money. BoB is okay. Instead, next to BM on othe other side of the road , first floor is Sonark. Try there, I am sure you won't be dissappointed. Small place without any decor but fresh tasty food.
6 Ballyganj Place, somewhere in Indiranagar, heard its prohibitively expensive but not that good food, though never tried myself.
Old 29th March 2012, 18:56   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
... 6 Ballyganj Place, somewhere in Indiranagar, heard its prohibitively expensive ...
IIRC, this is on 12th Main, HAL 2ndt Stage, above a CCD. Expensive, but not prohibitively so. Russian Roulette with the dishes, never know which cook is having a bad day. My worst experience was a neighboring table getting a dried-fish dish (Bangladesh speciality, I guess, since most of the staff and cooks are from there). Fortunately we had just finished our lunch, so I could herd my family out quickly without any 'mishap' (most of them are vegetarians).

There is another such joint in Koramangala 6th Block (name slips my geriatric mind) - 1st floor of a building. Nice place, trifle expensive but nice food. Slow if there aren't too many people around - surprising.

There was a restaurant on the 1st floor in the same building as KC Das on Church Street (again, name slips my geriatric mind; not sure whether they are still there or not). Reasonable prices, pretty decent middle-class grub. Only failing - they garnish most gravy / semi-gravy dishes with a very generous helping of raw mustard oil. Guaranteed to clear *any* sinus problem in a jiffy!!! Uninitiated: please tell them while ordering "If there is mustard oil garnish on my gravy, I will drown you in a bucket of <whatever you can think of>" - usually works wonders.
Old 30th March 2012, 11:19   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There is another such joint in Koramangala 6th Block (name slips my geriatric mind) - 1st floor of a building.
I think you are referring to Bhojohori Manna here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There was a restaurant on the 1st floor in the same building as KC Das on Church Street (again, name slips my geriatric mind; not sure whether they are still there or not).
This was/is Bijoli Grill. Pretty decent stuff when I last visited them, which was like a couple of years ago.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:53   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I think you are referring to Bhojohori Manna here.

This was/is Bijoli Grill. Pretty decent stuff when I last visited them, which was like a couple of years ago.
Both names correct. I find Bhojohori Manna to be pretty good in terms of taste. Try the Chicken or Muton Dakbangla with parathas. Massive calories but divine if you like masaledaar cooking.

Bijoli Grill is an age old institution in Calcutta. It has been around for decades. They are especially active in the catering sector in Calcutta, and two of their specialities are the Fish Roll and Fish Orly. On another note, their in house branded Ice Cream Soda (a soft drink) is brilliant, but I dont think they make it any more.

Quote:

OT: The pub attached to Dhekur is named 'Maal'. Never seen so apt naming in case of pubs & bars :P
Awesome name And really apt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Thanks for the update sir.

I have been a fan of Arsalan for at-least a decade or so.I have payed numerous visits to their park circus branch @ Calcutta and the quality is always good.
Arsalaan is my personal favourite when it comes to Mughlai restaurants in Calcutta, so I was delighted when they opened shop in Bangalore. Their food was very good (I use past tense since I have not recently visited them). A small tip- if available in the Bangalore branch, try their Chicken Cheese Kabab. You will be groaning at the end of it, but in a good way Another personal favourite of mine is theit Chicken Reshmi Butter Masala, i.e. Reshmi tikkas cooked and marinated in a cashew/cream based gravy.

The Park Circus branch is the original one, and the one that built up the brand name for years and years. The newer branches are much smaller in scale, and loyalists by me still swear by their original branch. testimony of their popularity is that even though parking there is a nightmare, there is not one day on which the throngs get diluted!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th March 2012 at 14:57.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:14   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
I find Bhojohori Manna to be pretty good in terms of taste. Try the Chicken or Muton Dakbangla with parathas. Massive calories but divine if you like masaledaar cooking.
Well, to be honest, barring a few dishes (Dakbangla being one), I didn't find their offerings much to my liking. Most of their fish preparations are pretty average stuff. They do make a heavenly mango flavoured mishti doi though!

Quote:
Bijoli Grill is an age old institution in Calcutta. It has been around for decades. They are especially active in the catering sector in Calcutta, and two of their specialities are the Fish Roll and Fish Orly. On another note, their in house branded Ice Cream Soda (a soft drink) is brilliant, but I dont think they make it any more.
I recently had a taste of their catering at a marriage in Calcutta. Nothing to complain about, but I was left a little underwhelmed with the experience. Too much expectations perhaps .
Old 30th March 2012, 15:48   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Well, to be honest, barring a few dishes (Dakbangla being one), I didn't find their offerings much to my liking. Most of their fish preparations are pretty average stuff. They do make a heavenly mango flavoured mishti doi though!

I recently had a taste of their catering at a marriage in Calcutta. Nothing to complain about, but I was left a little underwhelmed with the experience. Too much expectations perhaps .
Another nice dessert that you get at BM is Nolen Gur Ice Cream, unfortunately I think you get that only in the winter months. As for fish preparations, etc. Im a hardcore meat eater, and dont eat fish, so cant comment on that. Though some of my friends who are fish lovers had mixed reviews.

You are right, Bijoli Grill is good, though not phenomenally so.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th March 2012 at 15:50.
Old 30th March 2012, 18:07   #2155
BHPian

Anyone tried out "The Peshwa" in JP Nagar 7th Phase? There seems to be a dearth of good Marathi cuisine restaurants in Bangalore. I am aware of Rajvardhan in Jayanagar, but it is not a proper sit-in restaurant!
Old 30th March 2012, 18:12   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Another nice dessert that you get at BM is Nolen Gur Ice Cream, unfortunately I think you get that only in the winter months. .
This is my most favorite dessert in the whole world. AFAIK, available only in BM. They should take a patent before Haldiram copies and starts making the same. sometimes I visit BM only to have 8-10 cups of nolen gur ice-cream; the rest of the customers watch me awestruck.
Old 31st March 2012, 10:44   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... AFAIK, available only in BM. They should take a patent ...
No, even Oh Calcutta serves it. Quite likely that neither makes it - must be getting it from a vendor.
Old 7th April 2012, 20:59   #2158
BHPian

I happened to visit the Orion Mall. Had a look at Kobe's sizzler's menu, came away thinking its just too costly. Is it worth the price?
Old 7th April 2012, 21:58   #2159
Team-BHP Support

Had been to Fisherman's Wharf with family for lunch today.

When we walked in: It felt like Goa. There was a certain 'coastal' feel to the place. The dining area was divided into several little shack-like structures that surrounds the watering-hole. Each shack was named after a beach in Goa.

What we ordered: Cheesy Mozzarella Sticks with Salsa Dip, Fried Squid with Wasabi-Mayo sauce, Potato-fries wharf-special, and honey-glazed chicken for starters. For the main-course, Chicken-Xacuti, Crab Masala Goan style and assorted Indian breads.

What we think: Good food and even better ambiance. We loved the live music (a gentleman playing the sax', and rather well at that). The food, although good, was a little pricey.

It's worth driving down to The Fisherman's Wharf on a Sunday and experiencing Goan cuisine for the first time outside Goa. But it wouldn't be a regular for us.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:49   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Anyone tried out "The Peshwa" in JP Nagar 7th Phase? There seems to be a dearth of good Marathi cuisine restaurants in Bangalore. I am aware of Rajvardhan in Jayanagar, but it is not a proper sit-in restaurant!

Where exactly is Rajvardhan ? Any directions / landmarks ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks