0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.25%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 11:40   #1381
Team-BHP Support

Moneycontrol is the best 'live' portfolio tracker. But you can also try valueresearchonline.com - this is better for analyzing your portfolio. It tells you the CAGR growth in your stocks, mutual funds owning your stock, your portfolio style (value investing or growth investing) etc.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:36   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
in.finance.yahoo.com has a portfolio tracker.

Dunno if it is better than moneycontrol; but it loads sure faster and far less cluttered than moneycontrol, and that is what is more important for me.

What are advantages of moneycontrol?
Been there, done that! Have tried Moneycontrol and Valueresearch for some months. They provide far too much info for the average investor. In the end, I am sticking to some Excel templates I created for myself. These get external feeds and give me the returns over a period of time. I also get to see my asset allocations. Works for me much better.

I do visit these sites for more knowledge on latest trends etc. But for basic housekeeping, I stick to my Excel sheets. Can't trust my info being hosted on an internet site.
Old 10th February 2010, 21:54   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
...... else its taxable @ 10% as STCG(Short term capital gains)....
The tax on Short-term Capital Gains for the Assessment Year 2010-11 (Previous year/Financial Year 2009-10) is 15%.

And again as per section 43(5) b of the Income Tax Act, not all day-trading can be construed as speculative. I understand that this is when day trading is indulged in to hedge the loss in investment. What I do not understand is what exactly it means.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 10th February 2010 at 22:04. Reason: additions
Old 11th February 2010, 01:11   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
in.finance.yahoo.com has a portfolio tracker.

Dunno if it is better than moneycontrol; but it loads sure faster and far less cluttered than moneycontrol, and that is what is more important for me.

What are advantages of moneycontrol?
Let me look into in.finance.yahoo.com.

Moneycontrol, as it is backed by a business channel, has loads of information on your stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Moneycontrol is the best 'live' portfolio tracker. But you can also try valueresearchonline.com - this is better for analyzing your portfolio. It tells you the CAGR growth in your stocks, mutual funds owning your stock, your portfolio style (value investing or growth investing) etc.
Thanks. I shall have a look at valueresearchonline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Been there, done that! Have tried Moneycontrol and Valueresearch for some months. They provide far too much info for the average investor. In the end, I am sticking to some Excel templates I created for myself. These get external feeds and give me the returns over a period of time. I also get to see my asset allocations. Works for me much better.

I do visit these sites for more knowledge on latest trends etc. But for basic housekeeping, I stick to my Excel sheets. Can't trust my info being hosted on an internet site.
How do you keep the excel sheets, current ? I mean, do you get live updates into it ?
Old 11th February 2010, 12:27   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

How do you keep the excel sheets, current ? I mean, do you get live updates into it ?
Yes, you can get updates from external sources like BSE or rediff.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:40   #1386
BHPian

Talking stock; taking stock.

The budget-day has come and gone. Did it take the stock market by storm? I am afraid not.

Though the sensex and nifty built-up steam and rose quite sharply from 12 noon and reached their peak in one hour by 1300hrs, they started dropping gradually till 1530. To me it appears to be an indication that the rally may not sustain when the markets open next Tuesday and it may be back to the global cues.

I was just waiting for a rally of this sort and religiously pushed out 60 L&T shares I had acquired during the last one year and 60 Hero Hondas acquired during the last three months making a neat 68K LTG and 4K STG. No two thoughts about it. I am quite bearish on the market and will sit on the 200K cash I got today till nifty drops to 4600 or thereabouts. Will it? On what do I base such a belief? ( I am not an analyst.)

In my post #1326 dated 02 Dec 09, I had mentioned that after the Dubai bubble "financial analysts now say that many more are likely to surface from asian and european countries during the course of 2010. News for bears to rejoice and bulls to run for cover."

True to this, Greece was next on line and its effect on the world markets is still lingering. I have read somewhere that Portugal now is in deep trouble. There is also a widespread belief that Europe is on an economic slowdown that will drag the world markets down. On the whole I personally believe that all is not well still and its going to be rough weather all the way through 2010, though most Indian analysts believe that we will have a better second half in 2010. Putting all this together I believe nifty may still go down to 4600 levels before July.

If it does not happen, it does not matter. I will still have my cash .
Old 28th February 2010, 04:48   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Moneycontrol is the best 'live' portfolio tracker.
I swear by it. I find it very easy to maintain. I comes with loads of features. Best part it's free.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:36   #1388
BHPian

+1 for the Moneycontrol portfolio manager. It has been an integral part of my stock-trading activity eversince I took to stock trading.

I keep my overall portfolio in a different account and amend it, may be once a month. What keeps ticking in the tab next to the live stock price tracker is the portfolio manager showing only the stocks which I buy, with an intent to sell and make some STG.

Usually (but not necessarily) when the portfolio manager tuned to show the overall gain in each stock shows 10% gain, I fire them out. I can't imagine doing this without the Moneycontrol portfolio manager.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:48   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Usually (but not necessarily) when the portfolio manager tuned to show the overall gain in each stock shows 10% gain, I fire them out.
Nice strategy.

Usually I divide my entire portfolio into long term and short term positions. I have some positions which are even at current levels at around 270-290% above the investment prices so I'll continue to hold them I dont know for how long - that long. For some which I keep picking up I usually hold them from 5days to 30 days. One such instance recently was LT when it fell to 1390 bucks. I'm sure most of us had pounced on LT that day like there was no tomorrow. That is what I call a windfall gain. I keep part of what I bought for long position and I sell off part. Sometimes, this strategy backfires. Rcomm and Airtel got me on the wrong foot and I have been averaging ever since. By principle I dont book losses so I'll continue to average at dips and hold till I see Green again. So this is what I call "Forced Long Position". And I have also been trading on penny stocks also. They have a pretty good ROI if you track them for a long time and know when to enter and when to exit. Moral of the penny stock story is you cannot be greedy.

my two paisas.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:06   #1390
BANNED

Well, finance.google.com has a portfolio tracker too - but may not be update up to the minute.

But then, moneycontrol is very heavy on system resources, and for an occassional trader like me, it is not very critical to have up to the second update.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:37   #1391
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
The budget-day has come and gone. Did it take the stock market by storm? I am afraid not.

Though the sensex and nifty built-up steam and rose quite sharply from 12 noon and reached their peak in one hour by 1300hrs, they started dropping gradually till 1530. To me it appears to be an indication that the rally may not sustain when the markets open next Tuesday and it may be back to the global cues.

I was just waiting for a rally of this sort and religiously pushed out 60 L&T shares I had acquired during the last one year and 60 Hero Hondas acquired during the last three months making a neat 68K LTG and 4K STG. No two thoughts about it. I am quite bearish on the market and will sit on the 200K cash I got today till nifty drops to 4600 or thereabouts. Will it? On what do I base such a belief? ( I am not an analyst.)

In my post #1326 dated 02 Dec 09, I had mentioned that after the Dubai bubble "financial analysts now say that many more are likely to surface from asian and european countries during the course of 2010. News for bears to rejoice and bulls to run for cover."

True to this, Greece was next on line and its effect on the world markets is still lingering. I have read somewhere that Portugal now is in deep trouble. There is also a widespread belief that Europe is on an economic slowdown that will drag the world markets down. On the whole I personally believe that all is not well still and its going to be rough weather all the way through 2010, though most Indian analysts believe that we will have a better second half in 2010. Putting all this together I believe nifty may still go down to 4600 levels before July.

If it does not happen, it does not matter. I will still have my cash .
Nifty will soon break its 200 DMA which is around 4600-4700 levels- this is based on historical study and charts and 80% confidence level readings.
The budget is over so nothing to look forward for the markets. Stimulus in the US is also going to be taken back in a phased manner and added to that the European countries are tanking one by one. Money will be taken off the table and remember to encash on LTG(0 tax) the time frame is near as MOST of the FII funds were deployed in March 09 so if i were an FII and sitting on over 100% gains in ANY stock i picked up, the lure of 0% tax, giving back the amount i owe and being still in good cash maybe a exciting proposition. Something to think about?
Old 6th March 2010, 12:56   #1392
BHPian

Talking stock; Taking stock 2

The best performing week for the markets this year - thus have the market analysts opined on the last week. It has been so for me - having knocked off an LTG of 169K on Friday. And the star of the week - rather the share of the week was Sulzer India.

Only on Wednesday evening in a casual chat with my father I had told him that it is dancing around Rs.800 and I am waiting for it to reach Rs.1000 when I intend to fire 34 of it I had acquired last year at the average cost of Rs.507 (after the mantle fell on me) keeping intact the 100 he had acquired at par (Rs.10) two decades back.

Thursday morning I had a glance at it and it was Rs.830. At 1500hrs I suddenly noticed it was Rs 1036 and had hit the 20% upper circuit since noon. I hurriedly searched the web for the reason and it was the announcement that the promoters want to buyback the 20% shares with the public and delist the company. An emergency board meeting was to be held the same day to decide about it. Should I sell now? I was in a dilemma. May be tomorrow it may go up by another 20%. Let me wait.

Normally I do not give a thought to the analysts' views on stocks. But this was an exceptional case. Friday morning I dug the net for any info on the subject. Yes, the board had announced that it may buyback at a price of Rs.870 and apart from that no analyst worth the name had given out anything on the subject. But I came across an investor's blog written just hours before. He had stated that he had been accumulating the stock albeit slowly and had built-up a 60% position on it (greek to me). Using some spreadsheet analysis ( which I could not log on to since I was not a member of the google group) he has now estimated the fair value of the share to be Rs.1250-Rs.1300 and he will exit if it is reached.

In spite of the board announcing the proposed buyback price of around Rs.870, for whatever reason the share shot up again by 20% soon after the market opened on Friday and after some dithering I decided to fire out all 134 of it at Rs.1243.

Will it go up by another 20% on Monday morning? And why on earth did it go up by another 20% on Friday even after the board announced the likely buyback price of Rs.870? I have no answers.

There is a view that investors should not agree for the buyback @ Rs.870 since the share is worth Rs.3000. Another investor had written "Hold on to your shares even after delisting and the company will get rid of you - the sticking pest - by paying Rs.3000 per piece."

Whatever, I am no longer a shareholder of that company. It is pertinent to mention here that the company made a similar buyback announcement in Oct 2006 but for some reason - about which I am not aware of - it did not materialise. If that drama repeats again, I shall reaquire the shares at a price below Rs.800.

With 169K on hand it is time to pamper myself with a Lenova multimedia remote with keyboard and a Logitech Harmony adapter for PS3 .
Old 6th March 2010, 18:34   #1393
BHPian

moneycontrol

moneycontrol has the best portfolio, also the forum is very helpful
Old 27th April 2010, 23:27   #1394
BHPian

This thread has been dormant for quite sometime now. Perhaps there was nothing to enthuse the folks here, with stocks moving in a narrow range all the while.

I also remained dormant since my staple stock Unitech was in doldrums and I was running negative in the stock. I was haplessly watching it go down below 70 but had no cash to cash-in and accumulate more. I was just biding time for it to go green and that opportunity came on 21 April 10 when the stock rose to 86, after the proposed demerger of Unitech into realty and infra. I just made a small intraday trade that day netting a paltry Rs.500 profit. I was expecting it to move further up the next day and hence did not want to lose the numbers.

On the contrary, it started going down the next day and I did not want to go in the negative again. So I hurriedly shot out 16600 of them at Rs.85+ netting a neat profit of Rs.76.5k. Better late than never.

What next? I have always been bearish on the market. In a previous post I had indicated that with Greece and Portugal hanging on Europe and more likely to emerge, a sustained bull phase is nowhere in the immediate sight. Whatever I had sold and made a profit, I always keep it on my list to reaquire at lower prices keeping my profits intact - to the extent possible. Looks like those days are not far off.

Today with S&P's downgrading both Greece and Portugal, the Dow has plunged down. So tomorrow perhaps our markets may also plummet and if it is a deep plunge it will be worth to pick up some good stocks at lower prices. (I shall be looking to reaquire the 16600 Unitechs in batches, at less than 80.(Today it went below Rs.83.))

So thrilling days are on card. Watch out.
Old 28th April 2010, 01:52   #1395
Senior - BHPian

I have a large number of unitech stocks in my portfolio, picked it up when it was 88 back in 09 :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks