26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.75%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 202 16.44%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.59%
Voters: 1229. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2018, 12:51   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

I want to transfer my stock holdings in Zerodha to ICICI Direct and close Zerodha account.

Please advise me of the process.
Old 27th October 2018, 13:06   #3902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I want to transfer my stock holdings in Zerodha to ICICI Direct and close Zerodha account. Please advise me of the process.
Get the Delivery Information Slip from zerodha, fill it up and send it to ICICIDirect

https://support.zerodha.com/category...-demat-account
Old 27th October 2018, 15:17   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I want to transfer my stock holdings in Zerodha to ICICI Direct and close Zerodha account.

Please advise me of the process.
May I ask you why? What's the reason of this shift from Zerodha to ICICI Direct?
Asking this since I am just in the process of opening my account in Zerodha.
Old 27th October 2018, 15:56   #3904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
May I ask you why? What's the reason of this shift from Zerodha to ICICI Direct?
Asking this since I am just in the process of opening my account in Zerodha.
I don't like their system of handling payments. I sell a share, get my funds in their wallet in t+ 2 days and then again I have to wait 1-2 days before I get my money transferred to my account for which a request has to be made.

ICICI Direct is linked to my icici account and offers hassle-free handling of funds.
Old 27th October 2018, 16:12   #3905
BHPian

I was very bullish about Tata motors few years back and made an investment, I have averaged it out very frequently, even after averaging it out, it doesn't look like recovering atleast for few years, what do you guys feel about tamo? If I exit out, I will be at 50 percent loss
Old 27th October 2018, 19:27   #3906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
I was very bullish about Tata motors few years back and made an investment, I have averaged it out very frequently, even after averaging it out, it doesn't look like recovering atleast for few years, what do you guys feel about tamo? If I exit out, I will be at 50 percent loss
TaMo is facing Brexit headwinds which will subside next month. I feel this a good investment opportunity for medium to long term as current valuation is too tempting for global marquee brands of JLR & Jaguar. According to me TaMo is the only frontline bluechip available at a discount in our markets.
Disclaimer: I am personally buying from 225 levels and my avg now is around 196. According to me TaMo is the only one bluechip available at a discount in our markets. Trading is my fulltime occupation.
Old 29th October 2018, 20:14   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
TaMo is facing Brexit headwinds which will subside next month.
Hopefully they would recover, even domestic sales for TaMo seems to be good.
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:08   #3908
BHPian

An interesting conundrum in nifty. Will it be a inverse head and shoulders in day charts or will there be a head and shoulders in weekly charts

Weekly chart doesn't yet show the strength to rally.

Positive divergence in day charts suggests possibility of further upside correction.

Or will it be both?. An up move in day charts with inverese head and shoulders in place followed by a head and shoulders in weekly charts.
Of course right shoulder isn't in place in both charts

Given the weakness in S&P and Dow along with state elections which might provide some idea of how 2019 polls might be, a lot to ingest. Happy analysis 😛

What's your view about this?

By the way the positive divergence of RSI in day charts is working as of now in Maruti, with stock surging ahead today. ( I am somehow unable to upload the chart while editing the message, probably a limitation with the mobile app)
Attached Thumbnails
Do you play the stock market-1541151390932.jpg  

Do you play the stock market-1541151405174.jpg  

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 2nd November 2018 at 15:13.
Old 13th November 2018, 16:46   #3909
BHPian

Hello Gents,

What's the house view on the markets on the medium term? I know oil + dollar can upset the markets anytime. But, what about 2019 elections? Are the results priced in already?

I've pulled out of Mid and Small Caps earlier this year (encashed a few years worth of SIPs and also lump sum investments done right before Modi came to power) and am currently sitting on cash, waiting to deploy.

Views from buy and hold market participants please. Thanks.
Old 13th November 2018, 16:53   #3910
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
What's the house view on the markets on the medium term? I know oil + dollar can upset the markets anytime. But, what about 2019 elections? Are the results priced in already?
Markets might be nervous till 2019 election results day. There might even be a mini-crash after the results. But 6 months beyond the results day, everything is likely to be normal. There is no correlation between flavor of party in power and stock market returns.

Quote:
I've pulled out of Mid and Small Caps earlier this year (encashed a few years worth of SIPs and also lump sum investments done right before Modi came to power) and am currently sitting on cash, waiting to deploy.
Views from buy and hold market participants please. Thanks.
Bad idea to be completely out of the markets. Maintain 50:50 ratio between equity funds and debt funds. If markets fall, invest your savings in equity funds. If markets rise, invest your savings in debt funds.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 17:09   #3911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Bad idea to be completely out of the markets. Maintain 50:50 ratio between equity funds and debt funds. If markets fall, invest your savings in equity funds. If markets rise, invest your savings in debt funds.
Thanks smartcat. I didn't touch the large cap folio and have recently started creeping into the small and mid cap space as well via couple of L&T funds.

I know it's not possible to time the market, but its also hard to be unemotional when markets give out over heated signals. I listened to my own reasoning and cashed out of mid caps early this year. I will probably miss out on a little bit of upside. But, I'm fine with that as long as I don't get caught on the downside.

As an aside, do you know if anyone successfully employs any high freq. algos in the Indian markets? Or are these still an alien concept in India due to a lack of volume?
Old 13th November 2018, 17:53   #3912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As an aside, do you know if anyone successfully employs any high freq. algos in the Indian markets? Or are these still an alien concept in India due to a lack of volume?
I'm not sure about 'high frequency' part, but lots of Indian traders use algorithms. Even retail traders can do that now with Zerodha - no coding or programming knowledge needed apparently.

https://www.streak.tech/
Old 13th November 2018, 18:36   #3913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm not sure about 'high frequency' part, but lots of Indian traders use algorithms. Even retail traders can do that now with Zerodha - no coding or programming knowledge needed apparently.

https://www.streak.tech/
Wow!! This is very interesting. Thanks for pointing me to this resource. I'll surely give it a detailed read over the weekend.

But, I'm wondering - what's stopping the Zerodha guys from copying and deploying any interesting (and successful) strategy and rendering it useless?
Old 13th November 2018, 18:55   #3914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But, I'm wondering - what's stopping the Zerodha guys from copying and deploying any interesting (and successful) strategy and rendering it useless?
A few things:

1) There is pretty much no trading strategy that works all the time. If your algo made killer returns in 2018, it is likely to falter in 2008 or 2009 kind of markets. That's why all an algo trader (or any other trader for that matter) will keep making minor modifications over time.

2) This is something that Zerodha knows. It's founder was an ex-trader. He quit trading and setup Zerodha. It's unlikely he or his firm will go back to trading, when he is raking in crores of profits consistently by providing platform for traders.

3) Even if Zerodha copies your killer algo, he will keep volumes low - because every experienced trader knows that account will blow up if there is an unforseen event. So its unlikely that your algo will "stop working".
Old 13th November 2018, 22:23   #3915
BHPian

Quote:
Algorithms are usually meant for intra-day or short term trades. None of these can really ever predict human emotion, miscommunication, herd mentality, or an over-hanging economical crisis.

In fact, the last 6 months is a good place to test these models with all the price volatility. More often than not, there'll be a mismatch in the algo vs the actual.

They're a good way to get a ball park but there'll always be an "x" factor - a variable. What separates a good trader from a bad one is their ability to guesstimate that "x".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks