Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 14:49   #3871
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Folks,

I bought some shares of Infosys in May 2017 and recently the share went through a 1:1 bonus. I was expecting the number of shares to double in my account. But, it is still the same. When can I expect it to go double in number?
The record date for issuance of those shares is Sept 5th i.e. today. As stock markets trade and settle on a T+2 basis the stock stared trading ex-bonus (i.e. the stock price halved) yesterday. The shares should show up in your demat account soon
Old 17th September 2018, 12:42   #3872
BHPian

Need some advice folks

My father found old share certificates of a company. He had bought these shares in 1990 and had complete forgotten about it.

We do have the original share certificate and the transfer deed document signed by the seller. But, my dad never sent these documents to the registrar of the company for updation in the company's records. As a result, the share certificate is still in the name of the seller.

We would like to get them transferred to my father's name in the records as well.

Can anybody help in letting me know:
1. What will be the procedure?
2. Whom to contact?
3. How to find out whether this share certificate is still valid?
3. Can we claim the dividend declared by the company in all these years?

Request your suggestions.
Old 18th September 2018, 14:59   #3873
BHPian

Has anybody tried investing via smallcases? If yes, request feedback.
Old 24th September 2018, 18:50   #3874
BHPian

Is it good to enter DHFL and Yes Bank at this point of time with so much of negativity around?
Old 24th September 2018, 18:58   #3875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Is it good to enter DHFL and Yes Bank at this point of time with so much of negativity around?
Yes Bank seems fine. Not sure what's up with DHFL. Why take unnecessary risks? Indiabulls housing finance is a better bet.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:10   #3876
Senior - BHPian

Experts, what's up with market these days? Are we headed towards a major crash like in the past? What are your opinions?

A lot of things happening around the world and a recent example of dhfl crash appears to be a warning sign. With upcoming elections, high crude and interest rates, it appears something is not happening right.

Also if we take cues from p/e ratio, the market's p/e is again at highest levels as we have seen in the past when majorly markets have crashed.

Is it just a normal phase or I am getting too pessimistic about the situation. I am worried to be honest. 70% of my savings are in equities/mutual funds and only 30% in fds/saving account.

Majority of my 70% holdings are in large cap, 20% in mid cap and rest 10% in small caps. Currently overall portfolio is giving huge negative returns; enough in a sense if that amount was positive return, I could buy an entry level Hero motorcycle!
Old 25th September 2018, 09:34   #3877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Is it just a normal phase or I am getting too pessimistic about the situation. I am worried to be honest. 70% of my savings are in equities/mutual funds and only 30% in fds/saving account. Majority of my 70% holdings are in large cap, 20% in mid cap and rest 10% in small caps. Currently overall portfolio is giving huge negative returns; enough in a sense if that amount was positive return, I could buy an entry level Hero motorcycle!
If you are worried, that means you need to make some minor changes and also come up with a long term strategy. My recommendation:

1) Sell some stocks and get your equity exposure down to 50%.
2) Ensure that your stocks/FD ratio is 50:50 - not just now, but all the time.
3) Do this by BUYING, not selling. Depending on how your stocks portfolio moves, this ratio keeps changing every month.
4) Every month, buy stocks if you notice that your equity/FD ratio has fallen below 50%. Conversely, invest in FD when your equity/FD ratio goes over 50%.

This way, you will always buy when stocks are falling. This will give you oversized returns when the market turns. Assuming you have picked the right stocks.

Don't bother looking at your "losses" when the entire market has fallen.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:49   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If you are worried, that means you need to make some minor changes and also come up with a long term strategy. My recommendation:

1) Sell some stocks and get your equity exposure down to 50%.
2) Ensure that your stocks/FD ratio is 50:50 - not just now, but all the time.
3) Do this by BUYING, not selling. Depending on how your stocks portfolio moves, this ratio keeps changing every month.
4) Every month, buy stocks if you notice that your equity/FD ratio has fallen below 50%. Conversely, invest in FD when your equity/FD ratio goes over 50%.

This way, you will always buy when stocks are falling. This will give you oversized returns when the market turns. Assuming you have picked the right stocks.

Don't bother looking at your "losses" when the entire market has fallen.
I realise that my equity exposure has gone much higher than it should be. I dropped the idea of adding one more mutual fund to my portfolio.

I kind of want to sell some stocks and reduce my equity exposure but the point of concern is the stocks I want to sell are giving me huge negative returns. I am not sure if I should book loses to balance my debt-equity ratio.
Old 25th September 2018, 10:00   #3879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I kind of want to sell some stocks and reduce my equity exposure but the point of concern is the stocks I want to sell are giving me huge negative returns. I am not sure if I should book loses to balance my debt-equity ratio.
If the stocks in your portfolio are half-decent, it will eventually touch new highs. Don't bother selling if it makes you uncomfortable. Instead, over the next few months, continue investing in FDs till your equity exposure is brought down to 50%.

Then you could consider that mutual fund you have been eyeing. Always invest in a multi-cap fund - that way, large/mid/small cap exposure is decided by professionals.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 10:04   #3880
BHPian

Quote:
I realise that my equity exposure has gone much higher than it should be. I dropped the idea of adding one more mutual fund to my portfolio.
This is OT but can be helpful - One more simple way to determine your exposure towards equity is to subtract you age by 100.

It's a simple back of the envelop calculation used by financial planners worldwide and gives a simple yet articulate way wherein your equity exposure decreases as you age and therefore would turn your portfolio from aggressive into defensive as we age and our priorities change.
Old 25th September 2018, 10:13   #3881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the stocks in your portfolio are half-decent, it will eventually touch new highs. Don't bother selling if it makes you uncomfortable. Instead, over the next few months, continue investing in FDs till your equity exposure is brought down to 50%.

Then you could consider that mutual fund you have been eyeing. Always invest in a multi-cap fund - that way, large/mid/small cap exposure is decided by professionals.
I picked all my stocks in my portfolio after considering strong fundamentals. I don't do a much technical analysis. The thing may be I am facing is entering the market when the stock is priced on a higher side. I hope fundamentals don't go wrong easily but in a volatile situation when the whole market takes a plunge, nobody is left untouched.

What I will do, I will continue with SIPs that are currently going on, keep holding the stocks in my portfolio but stop adding any new SIPs and picking any new stocks and transferring new funds to FDs for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
This is OT but can be helpful - One more simple way to determine your exposure towards equity is to subtract you age by 100.

It's a simple back of the envelop calculation used by financial planners worldwide and gives a simple yet articulate way wherein your equity exposure decreases as you age and therefore would turn your portfolio from aggressive into defensive as we age and our priorities change.
I am 27 and I did that way but still realised over 70% money in the equity market in the current condition is a bit on the higher side.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:51   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
I am 27 and I did that way but still realised over 70% money in the equity market in the current condition is a bit on the higher side.
I strongly belive that any equity investments should be given time to grow over various market cycles. If your investing in equity just because there is an attractive investment avenue then probably you'll leave the market heartbroken.

I suggest you have a goal in mind before starting any equity investment and have a predefined period attached to it. Periodic review and rebalancing is required in case of stocks but I don't see why you need to panic on your portfolio having a higher equity component if you have a set purpose for your savings.

I would also like to add that as smartcat was putting across a part of your savings have to be kept in an FD or even better a liquid fund which would help you towards servicing unplanned expenses.

And finally coming to your opinion that you have bought your stocks on a higher price, I don't think anyone can perfectly time the market even Warren Buffet admitted that he couldn't during the 2008 crisis and made some early bets which didn't play out. You can invest in stocks in a staggered way or through SEP's (Systematic Equity Plan) which would average out your buying price over a period. If unsure then SIP's are still the best way to go.

Last edited by Thebat : 25th September 2018 at 13:53.
Old 26th September 2018, 14:47   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Please excuse if this has already been answered, but I still would request the experts to pitch in.

I want to invest in stocks (only long term) and am looking at various options to open a Demat account in. I am not going to be doing any day or intra day trading, with the intention of keeping the stocks over longer period and hence would be only looking at the PSU, OIL, Manufacturing and other such stocks.

The AMC costs and the trading costs are what is confusing me, and hence wanted to check here to see which bank/service provider have the best VFM for my requirement? I was looking at Upstox and it looks quite interesting, though I haven't heard about this one before.
Old 26th September 2018, 16:06   #3884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I want to invest in stocks (only long term) and am looking at various options to open a Demat account in. I am not going to be doing any day or intra day trading, with the intention of keeping the stocks over longer period and hence would be only looking at the PSU, OIL, Manufacturing and other such stocks.

The AMC costs and the trading costs are what is confusing me, and hence wanted to check here to see which bank/service provider have the best VFM for my requirement? I was looking at Upstox and it looks quite interesting, though I haven't heard about this one before.
I would strongly recommend www.zerodha.com. They charge ZERO brokerage for customers like you. Their business model is to earn money by charging derivatives and intraday traders.

Also, Zerodha is not a chota mota company. They have 8% marketshare in India, highly profitable and growing at a rapid pace.

Do you play the stock market-cotd_for_cms.png

https://www.bloombergquint.com/chart...are#gs.hVjG71k

BONUS: You also get access to their COIN mutual fund investing platform. You can buy "direct" plans from this platform, so the expense ratios will be lot lower.
https://coin.zerodha.com/

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th September 2018 at 16:15.
Old 26th September 2018, 17:26   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would strongly recommend www.zerodha.com. They charge ZERO brokerage for customers like you. Their business model is to earn money by charging derivatives and intraday traders.
This looks interesting and almost similar to Upstox except for the MF bit, which is not a priority because I am already invested in MF directly and am not looking at MF anymore.

From an AMC perspective, would you know which one would work out cheaper? I can't seem to find that detail on both their websites.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks