76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 19:38   #3946
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
You should not be watching VIX so closely since you are an investor. It goes up and down a lot. Only Nifty options traders need to keep a close eye on VIX.
From whatever little I remember from my past life, the VIX is derived from implied volatility of the near month PUT options. So, if people are buying puts, it would mean they are expecting this euphoria to reverse soon.

I'm a little antsy since in my misadventure to time my re-entry into the market (I put in a switch from arbitrage funds to some equity funds beginning of the week) I've gotten a little late and Mr market has rallied up. Now I'd hate to be all in red so soon. I know it's all temporary etc, but still.
Old 16th March 2019, 16:32   #3947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- 4 or 5 star rated
Thanks much for your advice over this and the mutual funds thread. Though it's not wise to time the market, going by the current trend I think the dip in the market after the elections as we discussed sometime back, will not happen.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:24   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
The buyback size is Rs. 1,000 crores - this is reference only pls)
Dear Sir, Thanks for your valuable insights .

I am newbie to stock market but have been doing MF investments since last 20 years.
WRT to MF study, stock research is like a PhD study
Can you pls guide me how to slowly evolve my understanding of right stock (not from Intraday perspective) ?
I had read & kind of understood the Holy ratios & statistical rules but in vain it seems.

I have even taken advisor services like Fundsindia but they are also hit and miss type . Even though they have plethora of data to research but the end result is No loss & No profit after 1 year of their services.

What am I missing & how can I convert to full time stock trader ?

Thanks in advance .
Old 20th March 2019, 13:12   #3949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
I am newbie to stock market but have been doing MF investments since last 20 years.Can you pls guide me how to slowly evolve my understanding of right stock? I had read & kind of understood the Holy ratios & statistical rules but in vain it seems.
I have tried to simplify stock picking in this article:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ve-sector.html (Guide: Investing in shares of the automotive sector)

Use the same guidelines to pick stocks from any sector.

Quote:
I have even taken advisor services like Fundsindia but they are also hit and miss type . Even though they have plethora of data to research but the end result is No loss & No profit after 1 year of their services. What am I missing & how can I convert to full time stock trader ?
Returns from mutual funds and stocks in the short term are dependent on lots of external factors. Compare your portfolio performance with that of Nifty, midcap index and smallcap index - rather than X percentage profit or Y percentage loss.

Also, you need to be clear why you want to pick stocks. If you believe that you will get insanely high returns when compared to mutual funds, then you have been misled. Pick stocks only if you are interested in the "process" of picking stocks and owning companies.

Good Team-BHP analogy would be self-driving vs hiring a driver on a roadtrip. Some people like to sit in backseat and relax, while the driver takes you to the destination (read as investing in mutual funds). While others prefer to take the steering wheel and drive. Not because they will get to Goa fast, but because they enjoy driving
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 16:10   #3950
BHPian

Quote:
Also, you need to be clear why you want to pick stocks. If you believe that you will get insanely high returns when compared to mutual funds, then you have been misled. Pick stocks only if you are interested in the "process" of picking stocks and owning companies.
Thanks a lot Sir !

Its not about insanely high returns. Purpose here is to generate monthly income from it . Though SWP also works in the same direction, but this could be an additional vehicle for the same.

I have gone thru your other thread..its very easily explained. Correct me if I am wrong --this process for long term (> 5~8 years of investing & monitoring) & not monthly or quarterly generation ! Right !

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th March 2019 at 16:14. Reason: fixed quote
Old 20th March 2019, 16:17   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the market has already discounted Modi Govt return and hence the sudden rise in the market and fund inflow.

Does anyone think differently. Would like to hear thoughts.
Old 20th March 2019, 16:18   #3952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its not about insanely high returns. Purpose here is to generate monthly income from it . Though SWP also works in the same direction, but this could be an additional vehicle for the same. I have gone thru your other thread..its very easily explained. Correct me if I am wrong --this process for long term (> 5~8 years of investing & monitoring) & not monthly or quarterly generation ! Right !
Correct. That is not for 'monthly income generation'. After retirement, if you want monthly income, you just have to do a systematic withdrawal plan. Another option is to pick high dividend yield stocks. Eg: if you invest in Rs. 1,00,000 in Infosys, you will get Rs. 3,000 as dividend (growing at 15% per annum) plus capital appreciation (Rs. 1 Lac growing at 15% per annum). These are stocks that yield 6% tax free dividends too. Do a google search for INCOME INVESTING.

Another option is short term trading using technical analysis or derivatives trading using Futures & Options. But this requires strong discipline and risk management skills - not for everybody.

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th March 2019 at 16:22.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:08   #3953
BHPian

Please provide your inputs on the IPO of 'Rail Vikas Nigam'. This was just subscribed 48% till yesterday i.e. 02.04.2019. Many brokerage firms have provided positive feedback on this IPO. I am waiting for some of the experts recommendations on this.
Old 5th April 2019, 03:06   #3954
BHPian

Is investing in Infosys Stocks a good option for long term?
I am looking at investing like 5 lakhs INR in stocks / mutual funds for long term, can you suggest some good stocks for long term holding.
Old 5th April 2019, 09:27   #3955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Please provide your inputs on the IPO of 'Rail Vikas Nigam'. This was just subscribed 48% till yesterday i.e. 02.04.2019. Many brokerage firms have provided positive feedback on this IPO. I am waiting for some of the experts recommendations on this.
There is another Indian Railways company called IRCON that is into similar business. Invest in that instead because IRCON is trading at really low valuations (PE of 6, PBV of 1, dividend yield of 2.6%).

Avoid Rail Vikas Nigam for now. In the past 2 years, all PSU IPOs have drifted down after listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
INFY is the cheapest largecap IT stock. At these valuations, there is very low probability of losing money if the stock is held for a long time.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 09:36   #3956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
INFY is the cheapest largecap IT stock. At these valuations, there is very low probability of losing money if the stock is held for a long time.
On the other hand, Donald Trump has not done the IT services sector in India very much good over the years. And even without him, Infy's usual business model of providing cheap resources for a project has persisted, and their product efforts other than Finacle have not been all that much of a success.

The low priced IT resource type of industry is under severe stress due to increasing levels of automation across the software lifecycle so that hiring slowdowns in the IT sector are the order of the day and plenty of middle managers who were running teams of say manual testers have suddenly found themselves holding pink slips.

I would be cautious about investing in an industry that has plateaued and/or achieved most of its growth absent any further indication of innovative changes coming.
Old 5th April 2019, 10:06   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at investing like 5 lakhs INR in stocks / mutual funds for long term, can you suggest some good stocks for long term holding.
What is the time frame you are talking about, when you say long term?

If it is something like 10+ years, then ideally IT is not what we should look at. That kind of investment horizon should be for companies that are least susceptible to change or are into fundamental stuff like consumption. Examples would be companies that are into very traditional,boring stuff like welding, toothpaste, food items like Maggi etc,

IT is fast moving world and what is hot today could very well blow cold tomorrow. Ironically,it's the larger companies that are more risky as they are often slow to change.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:39   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
What is the time frame you are talking about, when you say long term?

If it is something like 10+ years, then ideally IT is not what we should look at. That kind of investment horizon should be for companies that are least susceptible to change or are into fundamental stuff like consumption. Examples would be companies that are into very traditional,boring stuff like welding, toothpaste, food items like Maggi etc,

IT is fast moving world and what is hot today could very well blow cold tomorrow. Ironically,it's the larger companies that are more risky as they are often slow to change.
I second joslicx here. Pick something based on:

1) Consumption (such as Godrej Consumer for appreciation, ITC for dividend and principal protection),
2) Core Infra Development which India will need for the next 20-30 years at-least (such as L&T - with strong management),
3) Changing dynamics of the market but the company being strong and ready to accept change (M&M - They have their legs or rather tentacles spread across the spectrum of the automobiles and farm mechanization world),
4) Metals and Mining - Cyclical in nature but where will you go without these? (Vedanta, NMDC, Nalco, Hindalco etc.)

Not recommending these stocks blindly. Read and do your research. These are just pointers in some direction.
Old 17th April 2019, 17:21   #3959
BHPian

Quote:
Correct. That is not for 'monthly income generation'. After retirement, if you want monthly income, you just have to do a systematic withdrawal plan. Another option is to pick high dividend yield stocks. Eg: if you invest in Rs. 1,00,000 in Infosys, you will get Rs. 3,000 as dividend (growing at 15% per annum) plus capital appreciation (Rs. 1 Lac growing at 15% per annum). These are stocks that yield 6% tax free dividends too. Do a google search for INCOME INVESTING.

Another option is short term trading using technical analysis or derivatives trading using Futures & Options. But this requires strong discipline and risk management skills - not for everybody.
Hi, if you put screener based on investment technique outlined by Joel Greenblatt that uses the principles of value investing.

(Market Capitalization > 1000) AND
(Return on invested capital > 20) AND
( Earnings yield >=20)

17 companies list up .

Just want to hear your opinion on above value investing !
Old 17th April 2019, 17:45   #3960
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, if you put screener based on investment technique outlined by Joel Greenblatt that uses the principles of value investing.

(Market Capitalization > 1000) AND
(Return on invested capital > 20) AND
( Earnings yield >=20)

17 companies list up .

Just want to hear your opinion on above value investing !
Which are these 17 companies ?
Which site are you using to apply these filter on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks