26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:47   #4471
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Anyone here investing in stock market through smallcases? I have just been introduced to this concept of basket investing and find it a wonderful tool for those who lack expertise in picking stocks or do not have time to analyze stocks.
Sorry if this topic has been discussed earlier on this forum; but am curious to hear about experiences of those who have availed this option.
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:27   #4472
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
Anyone here investing in stock market through smallcases? I have just been introduced to this concept of basket investing and find it a wonderful tool for those who lack expertise in picking stocks or do not have time to analyze stocks.
I confess what those terms mean. But within a few months of starting to put my monthly savings in a single sctop (different crop each time), I realised it is better to split the buys to 2 - 3 scrips each time.

Couple of years later, was amused to find Geojit (my brokers) selling my concept back to me, well packaged, as "SIP" investments. They had 3 - 4 "packages" at a time with different scrips and varying numbers for differing amounts and risk appetites. Is this what it is?
Old 22nd November 2020, 17:08   #4473
BHPian

I have been investing in equity for more than 15 years now. During this time, I moved slowly from individual shares to mutual funds to finally ETF. For the last one year , my SIPS are in:
1. Nifty
2. Nifty next
3. Gold ETF
4. S&P500
5. Edelweiss Greater China equity

I invest more than 6 figures to all the funds together every month.

My investment period is for at least 15 years. Equity investment is around 20% of my total investment. Rest 80% is FD.

Any comments on my choices.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd November 2020 at 20:54. Reason: Typos and formatting.
Sree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:20   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Couple of years later, was amused to find Geojit (my brokers) selling my concept back to me, well packaged, as "SIP" investments. They had 3 - 4 "packages" at a time with different scrips and varying numbers for differing amounts and risk appetites. Is this what it is?
Not sure if we are on the same page here. Smallcase Technologies is a Bengaluru based platform that has created its own baskets of stocks (10-25 or so) based on certain themes and risk profiles of investors. These products are available as those designed and rebalanced by smallcase themselves or the brokers including HDFC Securities and Upstox, Zerodha and also some SEBI registered advisors. There are minimal charges; in case of some ranging from Rs 300+to 1000+ on a monthly basis and some individual investment advisors charge as high as 2.5% of invested amount alike PMSs. However the stocks are credited to the investor's demat account with the freedom to exit the smallcases partially or full. There is an option to SIP into it or invest lumpsums to the basket.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...9.cms?from=mdr

Last edited by skchettry : 23rd November 2020 at 12:26.
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:14   #4475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
My investment period is for at least 15 years. Equity investment is around 20% of my total investment. Rest 80% is FD.
Your portfolio carries lower interest rate risk. That is, if interest rates continue to fall over a long period of time, your overall returns will take hit since 80% of your assets are in fixed deposits.

You need to move some assets from FDs to bonds. They go up in value if interest rates trend downwards. Since you are primarily invested in ETFs, look up BHARAT BOND ETF. You can also invest in government securities mutual fund
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...s&tab=snapshot

However, bond funds are not like liquid funds or fixed deposits. NAVs can go up and down in the short term. Do some online research or read up posts in the mutual fund thread to understand how bonds work. Some articles:
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...to-gilt-funds/
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...on-gilt-funds/

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd November 2020 at 13:17.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 12:22   #4476
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have read a lot about re-balancing your portfolio between Equity, Debt, Gold, Real estate, etc.

Is there any product on the market which does this automatically? Basically a actively managed fund?

If yes, any recommendations for a well balanced and maintained fund?
Old 24th November 2020, 13:15   #4477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Is there any product on the market which does this automatically? Basically a actively managed fund?
Basically, you are looking for Multi-Asset mutual fund. You can look at available funds in valueresearchonline under Hybrid: Multi Asset allocation category.
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...uspended-plans

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th November 2020 at 15:21. Reason: Added link
Old 24th November 2020, 14:57   #4478
BRV
BHPian

NSE scraps Karvy Stock Broking's membership

I have some stocks in Karvy Trading account. Need advise on how to transfer it to different Demat. Thanks in Advance
BRV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 15:48   #4479
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
NSE scraps Karvy Stock Broking's membership

I have some stocks in Karvy Trading account. Need advise on how to transfer it to different Demat. Thanks in Advance
There are posts few pages back on how to do this.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 14:43   #4480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I have a handful of shares in HDFC, Kotak, ICICI and Reliance. With Nifty being where it is today, should i be selling these? Had invested in March during the crash.

Looking at it only on a long term basis but seeing returns at 51% is eye watering!
Almost in a similar situation as you are in, but planning to book profits in Dec 20 and leave the profits in Shares.

Traditionally have observed that during the Budget season there would be a dip and this would be the time to buy again.
Old 27th November 2020, 14:57   #4481
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi guys,

I have read a lot about re-balancing your portfolio between Equity, Debt, Gold, Real estate, etc.

Wouldn't putting all your savings / assets in a single fund defeat the purpose of diversification?
Old 29th November 2020, 19:17   #4482
BHPian

What is the opinion about the Burger King IPO coming up on December 2nd?
Company as such did not make any profits since inception in India even though the topline has grown significantly.

But, this FY is a disaster because of the Covid scenario.
Old 30th November 2020, 13:56   #4483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Company as such did not make any profits since inception in India even though the topline has grown significantly. But, this FY is a disaster because of the Covid scenario.

Oops. :-D No offence meant. But the question is answered by you. I have not gone through the offer documents, I dont know - I just rely on what you say. If your statement is true, this issue is simply taking advantage of the liquidity driven boom in the IPO market.

Why waste time on something which is fundamentally weak? Maybe, there may be listing gains. Maybe, you'll get discount coupons as a shareholder. If these are interesting, go ahead.

I stay away from all IPOs, not just this.
Old 30th November 2020, 14:21   #4484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Company as such did not make any profits since inception in India even though the topline has grown significantly.

But, this FY is a disaster because of the Covid scenario.
My 2 cents - Always stay clear from IPO. Simple reason being that stock market is a transactional place where 1 wins by making sure that other looses (that's the mantra I go by - there is no win-win funda).

IPOs generally are planned by financial institutions who are hired by company to ensure that they get the most out of the transaction when that bell rings. Hence, the parent company is full prepared to ensure that investors pay the amount which works in company's favor (and hence, investor falls at the loosing end).

Add to that nil bottom line of Burger King. And its a definite nada !!
The best you should do (if your gut really feels for this stock) is to allocate some speculation fund (~2% of your portfolio) which you are ready to forego.
Old 30th November 2020, 14:35   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Simple reason being that stock market is a transactional place where 1 wins by making sure that other looses (that's the mantra I go by - there is no win-win funda).
That's not necessarily true. Futures and Options or trading intraday is a zero sum game. But not if one takes equity delivery in the cash segment. Here both the parties can benefit.

https://tradingqna.com/t/trading-a-z...m-game/11080/2

Last edited by Sherlocked : 30th November 2020 at 14:36.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks