Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 11:15   #4591
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Not an expert but they will buy from the market at the market price.

1650 per share is the upper limit for such buyback.
Thanks for the reply. I understand the part of buying from market.

My question is why is the price struck at 1350 because there is an arbitrage opportunity here. I expected the price to reach the 1600 levels after the announcement. So wondering what am I missing here.
Old 15th April 2021, 11:22   #4592

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Thanks for the reply. I understand the part of buying from market.

My question is why is the price struck at 1350 because there is an arbitrage opportunity here. I expected the price to reach the 1600 levels after the announcement. So wondering what am I missing here.
Maybe Market thinks that Infy results are not great as per expectations builtin in the stock price.

How the buy back proceeds is that you can surrender shares in buy back option, and please note, that its not guaranteed that all shares one holds could be are bought back. There will be some time lag between buy back and arbitrage fruition. So there is opportunity cost as well. As this time shrinks, price may start converging towards buy back.
Old 15th April 2021, 12:23   #4593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post

How the buy back proceeds is that you can surrender shares in buy back option, and please note, that its not guaranteed that all shares one holds could be are bought back.
Infy is doing an Open Market buyback and not a Tender offer buyback. Shares are surrendered in Tender Offer buyback where as in Open Market offer, the company buys their stock from the live market over a period of time.

https://support.zerodha.com/category...arket-buybacks
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 17:52   #4594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Well the buyback is now official and the price went down further. The stock is trading at 20% discount to buyback price. Can experts explain why?
Many Investors purchased with a view that Infosys will buy back shares from the share holders but they are directly buying from the stock market so some disappointment secondly Infosys results are not on expected lines for many Investors hence further fall
Old 18th April 2021, 15:17   #4595
BHPian

I am looking for investing in stocks and mutual funds through an online/app platform. Might also look at commodities in the future. Options found:

Direct MF- groww, zerodha coin, et money, upstox, kuvera, paytm money.
Stocks- zerodha kite, upstox, groww.

Having done my research wrt to the mf i would be investing in, i found them to be available on all the platforms. So is there any platform that stands out interms of charges, money transfer, liquidating and features like stp etc?

In terms of stocks, kite and upstox seem to be more matured compared to groww. They offer more features, commodities and the charges also seem to be on the lower side.

Should i go with a single platform(zerodha/upstox) or separate platforms for both?

https://select.finology.in/app/compa.../upstox/groww#
https://select.finology.in/brokerage.../zerodha/groww

Last edited by kedar3223 : 18th April 2021 at 15:19.
Old 4th May 2021, 12:24   #4596
BHPian

I am looking for a couple of stocks for long term investment. Can somebody suggest some? Current ups and dips do not matter.
Old 4th May 2021, 13:11   #4597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I am looking for a couple of stocks for long term investment. Can somebody suggest some? Current ups and dips do not matter.
HDFC LIFE , BAJAJ FINANCE , HUL , DIVIS LAB , ASIAN PAINTS , TCS , PIDILITE , HDFC LTD , HERO MOTO to name a few.
karanraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 14:51   #4598
BHPian

Any views on IRFC for long term investment i.e. more than 10 years. Valuation looks attractive at CMP and dividend yield is pretty good. Can it give multi bagger returns?
BLACKRiVAL is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 17:36   #4599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
HDFC LIFE , BAJAJ FINANCE , HUL , DIVIS LAB , ASIAN PAINTS , TCS , PIDILITE , HDFC LTD , HERO MOTO to name a few.

You have got a good selection of stocks. Almost all of the above stocks are evergreen stocks apart from Hero motors which is a cyclical stock. This type of investing is often called coffee can investing or low volatility investing. In fact, there are several factor based strategy indices in the NSE website for you to have a look - https://www.niftyindices.com/indices...rategy-indices

So, you can start from the Nifty 100 low volatility 30 index and then apply some criteria to pick your stocks. I would recommend 12-15 stocks for a solid well diversified portfolio. These indices are normally rebalanced (meaning stocks might be changed) every 6 months and therefore, easy to track and make changes, if needed.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:53   #4600
Senior - BHPian

I have been in the stock market for a long time.. but not on a continuous basis. I used to invest quite actively in the 2000's and then switched completely to mutual funds. Since last October, I have started investing actively again.

I have read quite a few books on investing and successful investors - as you know, there are so many different types of investing styles and many of them could be successful. However, it is important to choose a style which suits your risk appetite and where you have conviction. This is extremely important because there will be times when the markets will correct or your strategy will underperform the market - there is no strategy which will work all the time. So, unless you have conviction in your strategy, you will not be able to stick to it. And I believe this is where investors lose money.. they try something and if it does not work, switches to something else and so on and on thereby losing money repeatedly and then they blame the market and stop investing. I have also made this mistake but the good thing is I realized it sometime back. I tried to choose an investing style which provides me conviction and one which I can stick through for a few years. The behavioral part of direct equity investment is the most difficult part and I am still learning. That's why I always recommend start with a small amount in direct equity while putting bulk of your money in mutual funds. As you learn, improve and mature, slowly put more money into direct equity.

Another thing I would say is always have a portfolio based approach towards investing and measure the performance of your portfolio as a whole rather than some individual stock here and there. For me, I usually invest only in high-growth high-quality midcap companies (some smallcap) and use technical indicators to time the entry/exit. My holding period varies from a couple of weeks to 1 year or more - I try to ride the winning stocks till they have good positive momentum and I exit stocks which don't perform well. So, it is kind of a momentum strategy the details of which is difficult to discuss here. So far, I have been comfortably beating the midcap indices and most MFs quite easily. So, I have transferred more money to direct equity and right now 40% of my equity investment is in direct equity while rest 60% are through few MFs (both index and active). Hope it helps some people on their stock market investing journey.
adimicra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 12:47   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Any views on IRFC for long term investment i.e. more than 10 years. Valuation looks attractive at CMP and dividend yield is pretty good. Can it give multi bagger returns?
Technically, IRFC got bearish few days after it got listed. From 5th March to 7th May it was in continuous downtrend. On 10th May IRFC made an attempt to change the trend from bearish to bullish by jumping over the 20 day moving average placed at 21.5. However, there is an AVWAP resistance standing at 24.2. Till the time price is below 24.2 we will call this move as a bounce.
Once price crosses 24.2 and sustains for a few days we can call it as confirmation of trend change and price can move higher towards 28-30.
Dividends will always be good as its a PSU company. I will suggest to keep holding till the price is in our favour. I am not in the camp where one should think for 10 long years, lets go year by year and see how the price performs. For next 2-3 years, yes you can continue to hold.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you play the stock market-irfc.png  

anubshar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 13:04   #4602
Senior - BHPian

Any particular reason why Dhampur sugar stock is raging these days out of no where? It was stagnant and now suddenly crossing 350+ mark.

Do you play the stock market-uyuyu.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 20th May 2021 at 13:06.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 16:28   #4603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Any particular reason why Dhampur sugar stock is raging these days out of no where? It was stagnant and now suddenly crossing 350+ mark.

Attachment 2158091
This:

Sugar exports beat lockdown blues, may touch 65 lakh tonne

Indian export to benefit from strong sugar prices globally
AnniHilat0R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 19:01   #4604
BHPian

Guys any recos to buy?
Old 29th May 2021, 22:59   #4605
BHPian

@smartcat and others

What is the best way to legally reduce tax when we trade in the market, I sometimes get into daily trading both in shares and f&o (profit is taxed at income slab), sometimes LTCG and STCG.

Is it better to open LLP or get registered as a sole proprietor/individual business? I was reading about LLP and as per the rules, you cant open/state the reason as I am opening the LLP to trade in the stock market (i would be using my/partners own money).

However, it is legal to trade if your primary business is something else and you are trading along with your regular business.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks