76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:47   #4681
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
A generic query to the experts here. What’s the trick to crack allotments in IPO’s? The last three that I applied drew a blank, Zomato and Paras included.
The trick here is to NOT bother applying for IPOs, but buy on listing day. You can buy upto 50% to 75% of amount you want to invest. Average down if the stock falls. If the company is really good, you will still make good gains over time. Examples:

DMART:

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_2.jpg

SONA COMSTAR:

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_3.jpg

If you had invested Rs. 100,000 in DMART IPO and if you were lucky, you would have got shares worth Rs. 10k to 20K (for example). Since the stock is now worth 12x since IPO price (Rs. 300), stock value in your portfolio would have been Rs. 1.2L to 2.4L now. But if you had invested Rs. 50K to 1L on listing day at Rs. 600, it has gone up 7x since then. The stock value in your portfolio would have been Rs. 3.5L to 7L.

That's why there is absolutely no point in investing in IPOs. It's like going to a restaurant, ordering full meals and getting one Roti (not even that sometimes) instead!

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd October 2021 at 07:44.
SmartCat is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:29   #4682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Right now, there are around 30 stocks that have dividend yield ranging from 3% to 10%:
Thanks. Will it be alright to buy in one lot at current prices, or will it be better to keep buying in small lots till the target amount is reached?
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:35   #4683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
A generic query to the experts here.

What’s the trick to crack allotments in IPO’s?

The last three that I applied drew a blank, Zomato and Paras included.
Get Demat accounts for all family members and apply using all of them. Thats about the only thing you can do to increase allotment probability in case of an oversubscribed IPO. Please note that this works with different PAN numbers only, not one PAN attached to different Demats.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 13:13   #4684
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thanks. Will it be alright to buy in one lot at current prices, or will it be better to keep buying in small lots till the target amount is reached?
Stocks in my dividend yield screener are undervalued and unloved stocks. You can pick up your fill at current market prices, and average down if they fall further.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:31   #4685
BHPian

What to do with shares which become delisted?

Hi All,
I have few shares which have been delisted from NSE/BSE but lying in the demat. We cannot close the demat unless it is empty.

On search I found that there are couple of site like unlistedzone.com which do deal with delisted shares. Anyone have experience on dealing on delisted shares? Or any other suggestions to clear the demat so that it can be closed?
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 17:45   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Anyone have experience on dealing on delisted shares? Or any other suggestions to clear the demat so that it can be closed?
I am in a similar situation with shares of one company that got delisted. I wanted to close the demat account that has these shares. I was told that I could either transfer these shares to another demat account and close the account or rematerialise the shares. But the later can happen only if the company responds to such a request. You may refer to the following article.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...1.cms?from=mdr

Looking at the complexity of the process, I have given up any further attempts and I continue to use the demat account.
Regards
Sravan
Old 4th October 2021, 19:23   #4687
BHPian

Might be a noob question but how does one go about buying pre-IPO unlisted shares? I know there are brokers that can facilitate it, but is there any grey area from a legality perspective? A friend of mine has been influenced by another friend to put in around Rs 10 lacs into unlisted shares of NSE. Is that even a viable investment strategy?
Old 4th October 2021, 20:11   #4688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Might be a noob question but how does one go about buying pre-IPO unlisted shares? I know there are brokers that can facilitate it, but is there any grey area from a legality perspective? A friend of mine has been influenced by another friend to put in around Rs 10 lacs into unlisted shares of NSE. Is that even a viable investment strategy?
Google "buy unlisted shares india". When you buy from such a platform, you are not using the services of an exchange like NSE. The platform acts like an exchange. Such a deal is called the over the counter or OTC deals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-t...nter_(finance)

It is perfectly legal.

Once you sign up for such website, you will see a bunch of "sell" offers from early shareholders of companies like Reliance Retail, Oyo, Ola etc. You will have access to balance sheet & other financials of these companies. Once you choose to buy, the platform will act as an intermediary to transfer shares.

Best time to buy such shares is during a lull or bear market, when offer prices will be low. In crazy bull market, don't expect to snag good deals.

I have registered at couple of websites to see how it works but I have never purchased unlisted shares. That's because it does not suit my investing style (based on low PE/PBV and high dividend yield)

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th October 2021 at 21:48.
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:54   #4689
BHPian

Quote:

Best time to buy such shares is during a lull or bear market, when offer prices will be low. In crazy bull market, don't expect to snag good deals.

I have registered at couple of websites to see how it works but I have never purchased unlisted shares. That's because it does not suit my investing style (based on low PE/PBV and high dividend yield)
Thank you, this is helpful!

I must say, your comments on this thread are a treasure trove of investment advice!
Shreyas_H is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 11:25   #4690
BHPian

Can someone tell me what is happening with SRF script. Till yesterday it was around 11K per share, and suddenly today it is trading around 2.5K. There seem to be no stock split.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:50   #4691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Can someone tell me what is happening with SRF script. Till yesterday it was around 11K per share, and suddenly today it is trading around 2.5K. There seem to be no stock split.
Hi kshastry,

You are indeed correct that there is no stock split. However the stock went ex:bonus on 13th of October. The ratio was 4:1 ie 4 shares for every 1 you own. You now own 5 shares vs 1 earlier. Hence the decline in stock price. The bonus share are usually credited within 15 working days of the record date which is 14th of October. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
arakhanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 21:11   #4692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stocks in my dividend yield screener are undervalued and unloved stocks. You can pick up your fill at current market prices, and average down if they fall further.
Can you tell what is happening with the ITC stock? Why is it surging? I was buying in small lots. Can I still buy at current prices?
Old 18th October 2021, 21:22   #4693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can you tell what is happening with the ITC stock? Why is it surging?
Is there any stock that isn't surging?

Quote:
I was buying in small lots. Can I still buy at current prices?
FMCG stock, 23 PE, 4% dividend yield. So still a hold/buy.

As long as a stock is visible in my screener under Largecap dividend, growth or value, it is still undervalued. Once it becomes expensive (relatively speaking), it will exit the screener
https://www.screener.in/user/28210/

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_3.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th October 2021 at 22:05.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:31   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any stock that isn't surging?
Hi SmartCat
Most stocks are surging, but IRCTC stands out among them. Surged closed to 300% in 6 months. Everyday I keep telling myself, today I am going to sell it if it dips, but dips never came in the last few days. What's happening?
vinodh_eee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:43   #4695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Hi SmartCat
Most stocks are surging, but IRCTC stands out among them. Surged closed to 300% in 6 months. Everyday I keep telling myself, today I am going to sell it if it dips, but dips never came in the last few days. What's happening?
And it dropped like a stone. 15% in half an hour
vinodh_eee is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed