76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2021, 09:51   #4726
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The screener queries use market capitalization and dividend yield as parameters. How will a stock leave the results if its price goes high enough? I don't see a condition that mentions the price.
Dividend yield changes with price. They are inversely related. That is one of the ways a stock can go out of the screener results. But will wait for SmartCat’s confirmation as well to understand how he is using it.

Added later: Just saw SmartCat’s response on the same. Seems it came in while I was typing this post.

Last edited by warrioraks : 29th October 2021 at 09:59.
warrioraks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:29   #4727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Current dividend yield is inversely proportional to market price. Current dividend yield = dividend per share / price per share * 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Dividend yield changes with price. They are inversely related. That is one of the ways a stock can go out of the screener results. But will wait for SmartCat’s confirmation as well to understand how he is using it.
Thank you SmartCat and warrioraks for the explanation. Now I understand. Will try out this strategy.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 19:36   #4728
BHPian

Quote:
1) Add dividend payout ratio to the filter (minimum >10, but >15 recommended)
2) Return on equity is a better metric (as a filter) and more widely accepted than RoCE.

Quote:
If you input RoE > 20, it will filter out all finance stocks
Thank you for the callout and sharing knowledge SmartCat. Typically, I do not invest directly in Finance and Pharma stocks. The nature of these two sectors (highly regulated, frequent frauds, incidents, etc) never gives me enough conviction and clarity on where to invest. I try to cover these sectors through mutual funds.
Quote:
3) PE ratio < 25 is fine, but only for largecaps. But historically, midcaps and smallcaps have traded at average PE of 20 and 15 respectively. So setup separate screeners for different marketcap companies.
Again great callout. I am new to investing directly in equities (experience < 12 months) and take a highly conservative approach. My investments are only in companies > 10k crore marketcap and only a few which are <10k crore marketcap. I tend to play around the values of parameters (moving P/E to 30 or 35 or changing ROCE values) whenever I have cash to invest. This tends to relax the filtering criteria and brings in more companies on the screen.
I also consider a few qualitative factors when I have to choose between companies.
As an example: Everything else being similar, would prefer a:
  • Private company OVER a PSU
  • Large cap OVER mid-cap
  • Company whose brand I am familiar with OVER something which I have never heard or before
On an unrelated note, what are your thoughts on REITs? I have started researching on them and might add to portfolio based on what I learn from GCE (Google College of Everything). Would help if you can shed some light

Last edited by warrioraks : 30th October 2021 at 19:38.
warrioraks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 21:25   #4729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
On an unrelated note, what are your thoughts on REITs? I have started researching on them and might add to portfolio based on what I learn from GCE (Google College of Everything). Would help if you can shed some light
Will write a separate article on REITs and INVITs soon. I have made tentative investments here and so far, I like what I see!
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 18:07   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
Will write a separate article on REITs and INVITs soon.
Not a related reply.

Sometime back you shared your screener page which had many links for large, mid, small with dividend based or growth and several other filters. I saved the link as https://www.screener.in/user/28210/

But it seems the filters are not there now. If it is not a problem, can you please share again? It was gold for people like us.
Old 14th November 2021, 18:54   #4731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Sometime back you shared your screener page which had many links for large, mid, small with dividend based or growth and several other filters.But it seems the filters are not there now. If it is not a problem, can you please share again? It was gold for people like us.
whoops. My wife wanted a simpler screener for her stock picks. Anyway, now I have uploaded the old screener back again:
https://www.screener.in/user/28210/

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_3.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th November 2021 at 23:35.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 09:19   #4732
BHPian

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...14451.html/amp

Any thoughts on this global REIT? Worth investing?

Thanks.
Old 16th November 2021, 10:24   #4733
Senior - BHPian

What's up with Godawari Power & Ispat? Despite looking so attractive it is falling each day!

Last edited by bj96 : 16th November 2021 at 10:26. Reason: fix typo in name
Old 16th November 2021, 11:03   #4734
BHPian

Quote:
Many of these stocks are in my long term portfolio too, and I don't want to mess with that. That's why I have this strategy in a separate brokerage account. It is also easier to calculate STCG this way when most of short term trades are in one account.
I have my primary account with ICICI where I have some stock from a long term perspective. Any recommendations for who should I sign up with for a separate account for short term trading? Would Zerodha be a good option?
Old 16th November 2021, 12:57   #4735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
Any thoughts on this global REIT? Worth investing?
Thanks.
Kotak too has a global REIT fund
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...f-direct-plan/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I have my primary account with ICICI where I have some stock from a long term perspective. Any recommendations for who should I sign up with for a separate account for short term trading? Would Zerodha be a good option?
Zerodha is a good choice. Meanwhile, since PayTM IPO was in the news, I opened an account with https://www.paytmmoney.com/ out of curiosity. Interface and usability is not as clean as Zerodha's, but better than many other discount brokers.

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_1.jpg

Minor irritant here is that they charge Rs. 10 for a NEFT transfer.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 13:15   #4736
BHPian

Started dabbling in the stock market since last year. Demat account via Motilal Oswal. Not a big player at all. Invested in and was lucky enough to snag a few IPOs. No intraday games for me, investing for the long term in some fundamentally strong companies.

Family runs an Investment Consultancy, but they have stayed away from the stock market and trust the conservative means of investments still. Brought up with the sense always that the stock market is a risky proposition and is akin to gambling.
IamNikhil is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 15:14   #4737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Family runs an Investment Consultancy, but they have stayed away from the stock market and trust the conservative means of investments still. Brought up with the sense always that the stock market is a risky proposition and is akin to gambling.
Hi,
This outlook is interesting. Would you mind some of the investments avenues (don't have to reveal exact instruments) that your investment consultancy recommends?

I think investing, like anything in life where one expects above average returns, comes with an element of risk. Don't think anything worthwhile in life can be achieved by avoiding risk altogether.
Old 16th November 2021, 22:11   #4738
Senior - BHPian

Can Tesla stock become the next IRCTC?

Do you play the stock market-d0eaf98a9dfd48748930971be47220e1.jpeg

Elon Musk's sales of Tesla stock last week came as little surprise to those who have been following the story of his potential tax bill of $10 billion to $15 billion on stock options granted in 2012. Yet, rather than selling as part of an options exercise, Musk started selling from his existing shares??

The options on Musk's 23 million shares expire in August, which is also the deadline for the tax bill due to California and the Internal Revenue Service.

He could be using the proceeds for Space X, his privately held space company, or for another private venture. Or he could simply want to take money off the table after years of being stock-rich and cash-poor and borrowing off his stock price to fund his lifestyle.It still feels like there is a piece missing to the puzzle that we may not know about...
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 00:01   #4739
BHPian

Quote:
Reasonably accurate. But I still double-check important data points at www.valueresearchonline.com

OK, just remember that the list needs further "due diligence". It is just the initial shortlist of candidates.
Hello Smartcat, can you please update the links in this post or share the queries that you used? the links are not working anymore.

They were really helpful but I did not save them.

Last edited by Imran.Syed : 18th November 2021 at 00:02.
Old 19th November 2021, 23:32   #4740
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, now I have uploaded the old screener back again:
https://www.screener.in/user/28210/
Small cap yield screen has PNB gilts. What exactly are they involved in? Are they distributor of Govt securities or they themselves invest in it?
Their Div yield is eye popping 15%, three time the FD rates. Is this sustainable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran.Syed View Post
the links are not working anymore.

They were really helpful but I did not save them.
Please see the post number 4731 in this thread.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks