76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 13:00   #4576
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Why do you say that you won't invest in a stock which has a rosy future? ? Can you elaborate? If you have already answered it elsewhere, a link to that will suffice! Thanks!
Sorry about that - it was a badly phrased line. What I meant to say is "I don't look at a stock or company's future prospects while making stock purchases". Even if I believe that DMart or Asian Paints or Titan will do well in the future, I will not pick it up. That's because its current valuations are not palatable to me.

The biggest reason for ignoring future prospects is that such a stock picking methodology involves taking discretionary (Eg: to buy or not to buy) decisions . But stock picking based on past performance and current valuations is 100% mathematical or statistical. It removes emotion from stock picking.

For eg: I might get a dream that TESLA will takeover the world and everybody in the world will start buying EVs/Teslas. Then I might be tempted to buy TESLA stock at $1000 per share or $2000 per share or even $5000 per share. However, if I pick stocks based on just numbers (consistency of profits, dividend yield, PE ratio, return on equity etc), I will not make the mistake of buying a stock at any price.

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th March 2021 at 13:04.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 13:24   #4577
BHPian

Tried your idea smartcat but it doesn't work for me because in my Long term portfolio I fill also be keeping some potential multi-baggers like Sterling Wilson solar and also some shares which promise a rosy future. Zerodha does not allow pledging non blue chip stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I am or rather was in the same boat as you, have some a few changes post the Mar 20 correction or crash.
Regarding ICICI Direct DMAT account, @shivshanker can you try placing a GTT order 20% below the market price of a share. I have seen on youtube that it does not allow that.

One more question, Can I transfer some of my shares from my zerodha account to my new Long term Dmat account ?

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th March 2021 at 14:06. Reason: Trimmed quote
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:01   #4578
Senior - BHPian

The Nippon India Nifty ETF closed at 158.6 whereas nifty closed at 14867 on April 1.

Shouldn't the ETF have closed at around 149 ? Can someone help me understand this difference - it can't be a tracking error right ?
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:22   #4579

Nippon ETF Price includes unpaid dividend which Nifty Companies would have paid. NiftyBees ETF last paid dividend maybe around 5 years back. Thus the difference.
tanny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 12:23   #4580

Can anyone shed light on why every Adani company share is hitting a new high every week? PE ratios of all Adani listed companies are overvalued. Some like Adani Power have even posted loss. How come they are so overvalued and the market hasn't corrected it yet?
mopy95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 12:43   #4581
BHPian

People believe they have been getting gifts in the form of Airports, Ports, Power, etc. So its a matter of time they simply leverage their monopoly status.
m8002? is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 15:37   #4582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post
Nippon ETF Price includes unpaid dividend which Nifty Companies would have paid. NiftyBees ETF last paid dividend maybe around 5 years back. Thus the difference.
I have invested in this fund since around 2009. It was then managed by Benchmark, then Goldman Sachs, then Reliance MF, and now Nippon MF. I think they used to pay regular dividends till around 2013-14. Don't know why they changed this policy. Not sure if some rules were changed by SEBI about ETF dividends.
Old 6th April 2021, 16:14   #4583

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I have invested in this fund since around 2009. It was then managed by Benchmark, then Goldman Sachs, then Reliance MF, and now Nippon MF. I think they used to pay regular dividends till around 2013-14. Don't know why they changed this policy. Not sure if some rules were changed by SEBI about ETF dividends.
Correct, even I am invested in this one for last 8-9 years and have received dividend once/twice. This was one of early ETFs available and even today offers good liquidity(comparatively). Not sure what changed that they stopped paying dividends.

What happens to the dividend received exactly is not clear, Its may still be ok if it's re-invested back.
Old 8th April 2021, 15:00   #4584
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recently opened a new account with Zerodha; however, I see that my NSE & BSE equity segments are not enabled. I get an error when buying equity. I called CSS twice but got different replies with no concrete solution. Any pointers here from users?

Thanks.
Old 8th April 2021, 22:35   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have recently opened a new account with Zerodha; however, I see that my NSE & BSE equity segments are not enabled. I get an error when buying equity. I called CSS twice but got different replies with no concrete solution. Any pointers here from users?
This is strange. Usually one has to manually enable FnO and Commodity segment to take a trade in these two but Equity segment is enabled as default. What is this error that you are getting?

Did you complete the Power of Attorney formalities? Could be an issue in that front. Also check if you have sufficient funds transferred to your Zerodha account.

Also, when buying equities in Zerodha for overnight delivery - choose CNC order i.e. Cash and Carry and not the MIS which is meant for Intra day trades only.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 8th April 2021 at 22:38.
Old 8th April 2021, 22:46   #4586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
This is strange. Usually one has to manually enable FnO and Commodity segment to take a trade in these two but Equity segment is enabled as default. What is this error that you are getting?

Did you complete the Power of Attorney formalities? Could be an issue in that front. Also check if you have sufficient funds transferred to your Zerodha account.

Also, when buying equities in Zerodha for overnight delivery - choose CNC order i.e. Cash and Carry and not the MIS which is meant for Intra day trades only.
Yes, it’s strange indeed and I’m puzzled myself. The specific error I’m getting is “exchange segment not enabled”. Unfortunately, the support from customer care wasn’t of any help too. One of them told me to wait for 24 hours and check back. And yes, there’s sufficient balance transferred to get through that cnc trade. Let’s see what happens tomorrow. Will update here. Thanks for your input

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:24   #4587
BHPian

Stock Gurus,
Why didnt the Infy stock rise today due to the buyback news? I expected the stock to bounce somewhere close to the buyback price.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82021535.cms

Is it just because the news is not confirmed by the board? Or something else?
Old 12th April 2021, 17:41   #4588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, it’s strange indeed and I’m puzzled. Will update here. Thanks for your input

Regards.
Finally it was sorted today. Now online brokers don’t take your POA but there’s an arrangement of T-pin from your depository to enable them to debit the shares from your account in absence of POA. So, Zerodha didn’t send the request to CDSL for generation of the pin. I made that request online and received the pin over mail and phone in a matter of seconds directly from CDSL. Next day on Sunday, I could see that BSE and NSE segments were enabled automatically.
Trust this helps someone with a similar problem.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:25   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Stock Gurus,
Why didnt the Infy stock rise today due to the buyback news? I expected the stock to bounce somewhere close to the buyback price.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82021535.cms

Is it just because the news is not confirmed by the board? Or something else?
Well the buyback is now official and the price went down further. The stock is trading at 20% discount to buyback price. Can experts explain why?
Old 15th April 2021, 11:02   #4590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Well the buyback is now official and the price went down further. The stock is trading at 20% discount to buyback price. Can experts explain why?
Not an expert but they will buy from the market at the market price.

1650 per share is the upper limit for such buyback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks