76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2022, 22:05   #4861
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I just realised, they deducted 20% TDS on my ITC dividend this time -which is weird as I have furnished my PAN details and my dividend amount is less than INR 5000.
This was second dividend payment by ITC in this financial year. Kindly check the percentage deducted after summing up the two dividend amounts.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 03:44   #4862
BHPian

What are some good ways of buying and holding USD in India? Looking for easy convertibility back to Rupees and low commissions and charges.

I don't want to park my savings in a savings bank account nor do I want to invest it at the moment, currently accumulating to invest in the near term.

Looking at these FX apps like OctaFx & Expert Options but they seem a little sketchy to me.

Last edited by Imran.Syed : 31st March 2022 at 03:46.
Imran.Syed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 22:04   #4863
BHPian

Experts, I am heavily invested in two of the stocks, which had entered F&O stock ban list.

The news:
Indiabulls Housing Finance, Balrampur Chini, Delta Corp, Sun TV, Vodafone Idea, L&T Finance Holdings, and Steel Authority of India (SAIL) are the seven stocks that are part of the F&O stock ban list by the stock exchange for today - 25-Mar-2022

I am not sure what this means, a simple search leads me to this info from moneycontrol:
"If the open interest in a stock crosses 95 percent of the market wide position limit, then its F&O contracts enter the ban period"

Sorry for my ignorance; the question is, is this a good indication for the stock or a bad one? I think all bans are bad.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 22:14   #4864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Sorry for my ignorance; the question is, is this a good indication for the stock or a bad one? I think all bans are bad.
No effect on long term performance of stock fundamentally. But technically, FNO ban reduces speculation and liquidity in the stock. Only serious investors will be trading in that stock after the ban.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 15:27   #4865
BHPian

This week the overall market entered into a crucial zone. Next week will be a showdown. RBI has thrown a lifeline this Friday. Market is hanging by that. If the results next week or something can boost , we can expect another leg of rally. Else , if the markets fall, it will be another crash much deeper than wartime lows. Specifically, Nifty safety net is between 17400-18100. If either limits are broken, it's going to be a large move in the direction. If it breaks 17400, I will cash out my profits and sit tight till the bottom appears solidly.
deetee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 18:54   #4866
BHPian

First major corporate results are out. TCS posted their Q4 and FY22 results this evening. In some aspects they met expectations and in some fell slightly short of expectations and short of even company's own forecast. This maynot be taken warmly by the market. I would say, watch how the market reacts tomorrow, as this would be the early indication of what to come later as the results pour in. My own bets would be that we can see some correction in stock price as the results are not 'exhilarating' and year ahead doesn't particularly seem very bright.
Old 11th April 2022, 20:05   #4867
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
RBI has thrown a lifeline this Friday.
What lifeline is that?
Old 11th April 2022, 20:43   #4868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What lifeline is that?
While the global major stocks were receding due to rate hikes and inflation worries, RBI refrained from hiking rates or making any hawkish comments. That helped to hold the fall in major stocks that day. Anyway that was then, doesn't have much relevance now. This week plays differently depending on corporate results.
Old 11th April 2022, 20:51   #4869
BANNED

Quote:
RBI refrained from hiking rates
https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...y-raised-rates

RBI has effectively increased the reverse repo rate. The new floor is now 3.75% as compared to 3.35%. And if the effective reverse repo increases, it means repo rate will also increase soon. The market already knows this.
Old 11th April 2022, 21:14   #4870
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...y-raised-rates

RBI has effectively increased the reverse repo rate. The new floor is now 3.75% as compared to 3.35%. And if the effective reverse repo increases, it means repo rate will also increase soon. The market already knows this.
That was true. On Friday the initial market response was inline with this with momentary drop in bank stocks. But after that intial panic, it seems market sentiment ignored reverse repo rate for short term and there was surge . Primarily because, banks need not raise interest rate on FDs while they can raise rates on loans with discretion. In theory, that means more income for banks , until next meeting. That seems to have boosted some sentiment.
Old 12th April 2022, 15:27   #4871
BANNED

Quote:
Primarily because, banks need not raise interest rate on FDs while they can raise rates on loans with discretion. In theory, that means more income for banks , until next meeting. That seems to have boosted some sentiment.
But if they lend at higher rates, it means less income for companies who take loans from banks. And of course, the effective repo increasing is a signal that repo will also increase quite soon.

Last edited by carboy : 12th April 2022 at 15:28.
Old 14th April 2022, 12:37   #4872
BANNED

Last year I got an offer from SBI for free 1st year SBI securities account. I opened the account even without needing it at that time. Now I want to actively start investing in stock market and looking at the interface and brokerage charges from my little research I found out Zerodha kite to be better. Should I close my SBI securities account and open a new one at Zerodha or should I continue with SBI securities account. Any other better suggestion would be welcome.
PS: I have savings and salary account with SBI and a savings account with ICICI bank as well.
Old 15th April 2022, 19:06   #4873
BHPian

Quote:
But if they lend at higher rates, it means less income for companies who take loans from banks. And of course, the effective repo increasing is a signal that repo will also increase quite soon.
How high the lending rates should be, as I mentioned earlier, is upto a bank's discretion. The competition among the banks is one of the factors that limit it. The reverse repo increased slightly but it is still below what banks charge on their loans and lower than current repo rate. That 0.25% increase in reverse repo maynot increase rates on bank loans in near term. Also, since the repo rate is unchanged, FD rates remain same and people will still find it attractive to invest in financial markets , again for the near term. In the present volatile conditions, I think market investors mind may not be thinking beyond a two month period with respect to money flow.
Old 15th April 2022, 19:16   #4874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhunter View Post
research I found out Zerodha kite to be better. Should I close my SBI securities account and open a new one at Zerodha or should I continue with SBI securities account.
In my opinion anyone who is serious should have a account with full service broker instead of discount brokers. Choose the price plan that suits you, it depends on trade volume. You can open zerodha account in your family memebers name and compare.
Old 15th April 2022, 19:51   #4875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
In my opinion anyone who is serious should have a account with full service broker instead of discount brokers. Choose the price plan that suits you, it depends on trade volume. You can open zerodha account in your family memebers name and compare.
I might have got the meaning behind the phrase 'who is serious' wrong, but if I am right, someone who is looking at financial markets as a fulltime career should not go by investment guidance from a broker. They should do their due research and act upon their principles . If that is what 'seriousness' is about then discount brokers are fine. On other hand, if someone is investing into financial markets but doesn't have the time and energy to do in-depth research on their own, then services of full service broker may be preferable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks