Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 12:37   #3406
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Need some urgent advise,I need to make a decision between Mercure,Abids & Time Square,Clock tower for a 2nights accomodation.Both are in the range of INR 4000 per night for triple occupancy.Looking out for a place for somebody visiting hyd for a couple of days .Btw I realised while looking around that hotel room prices have dropped drastically.Kakatiya is going at INR7000-thats all,something that was int he range of 12-13k a night.
Mercure is in a congested lane in Abids ( Next to Little Flower High School). So between the two, I would say check out the hotel from inside and take the decision.

Why dont you try Clove in Himayathnagar, they too come in same price range or slightly lower and decent hotel.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 12:46   #3407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Mercure is in a congested lane in Abids ( Next to Little Flower High School). So between the two, I would say check out the hotel from inside and take the decision.

Why dont you try Clove in Himayathnagar, they too come in same price range or slightly lower and decent hotel.
Thanx Avi,yes you are absolutely right about the location of Mercure.I checked out the inside and it is pretty excellent,it is an Accor group hotel so I guess that is the saving grace.Another interesting info about tht place is that it serves only vegetarian fare-wonder why.

Thanks for the tip on Clove.Isnt this the same as Platinum Hotel?I couldnt find any place named Clove
Old 14th July 2011, 12:51   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on Clove.Isnt this the same as Platinum Hotel?I couldnt find any place named Clove
Raj comfort inn,Near Paradise could be one good option as well.

I could get you 10% discount.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:52   #3409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanx Avi,yes you are absolutely right about the location of Mercure.I checked out the inside and it is pretty excellent,it is an Accor group hotel so I guess that is the saving grace.Another interesting info about tht place is that it serves only vegetarian fare-wonder why. Thanks for the tip on Clove.Isnt this the same as Platinum Hotel?I couldnt find any place named Clove
Yes, its Platinum Hotel

Alright if the approach road is not a concern then go for Mercure. If its part of Accor then it would be way better than the Times Square ( which I have been to).

Btw, it isnt that odd for some restuarants to serve veg fare only. Classic example is Quality Inn Residency is a 3* property ( opp to Nampally railway station). They too have ONLY veg fare and more astonishing is their famous pub ( One Flight Down (OFD)) also serves veg fare. Imagine a pub serving only veg

Btw, my reception was held here and is a good hotel. You can probably check this hotel out as well.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:04   #3410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its Platinum Hotel

Alright if the approach road is not a concern then go for Mercure. If its part of Accor then it would be way better than the Times Square ( which I have been to).

Btw, it isnt that odd for some restuarants to serve veg fare only. Classic example is Quality Inn Residency is a 3* property ( opp to Nampally railway station). They too have ONLY veg fare and more astonishing is their famous pub ( One Flight Down (OFD)) also serves veg fare. Imagine a pub serving only veg

Btw, my reception was held here and is a good hotel. You can probably check this hotel out as well.
Ok,thanks for the interesting insights!Yes I know of Quality Inn,that was the place we stayed in when we initially moved into Hyderabad.The place was home for close to 4 days while we were house hunting.Lovely place for the kind of surroundings it is in!(with all due respects,but usually railway station vicinity hotels are never good anywhere!)

Even I wasnt fully sure about Time Square,I guess I shall give it a miss,though Tripadvisor seems to be full of good things about Time Square,but somehow the photos seem to be photoshopped on the website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Thanks so very much for the offer,let me check with them and shall pm you if needed.Thanks so much
Old 14th July 2011, 16:35   #3411
BHPian

Another Place I could think of, is Accommodation In Hyderabad: Grand Solitaire Hotel Hyderabad, Budget Business Hotel In Hyderabad | Rooms & Tariff

Have not stayed there but I recommend it for it's location. It's opposite to Reshmi's (where you get good Punjabi food) and adjacent to Nanking (not recommending the food here though), in Secunderabad
Old 14th July 2011, 16:37   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Another Place I could think of, is Accommodation In Hyderabad: Grand Solitaire Hotel Hyderabad, Budget Business Hotel In Hyderabad | Rooms & Tariff

Have not stayed there but I recommend it for it's location. It's opposite to Reshmi's (where you get good Punjabi food) and adjacent to Nanking (not recommending the food here though), in Secunderabad
Thanks Suren,I have checked out the place earlier,the rooms are way too small and the tariffs are mind-boggling at around 4500-5k!Not worth it for the kind of hotel that it is.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:58   #3413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suren,I have checked out the place earlier,the rooms are way too small and the tariffs are mind-boggling at around 4500-5k!Not worth it for the kind of hotel that it is.
Besides, Solitaire food is nothing great. Had buffet a couple of times there and it was quite average
Old 14th July 2011, 17:12   #3414
Senior - BHPian

Guys need following info:- I will be in Hyderabad (Abids) for nearly 5-6 months. Could someone tell me if mess / similar facilities (home delivery of Indian food - North Indian / South Indian) is available in this area? Also any info regarding decent PG accomodation (with / without food) would be appreciated. I've kept an eye on local classifieds (as suggested by Milecruncher), most listings are in far off places. I would prefer something very close to Abids like Basheerbagh, Himayatnagar, Lakdikapull, Kingkothi etc. Thanks in advance!

Mods- did not want to create a new thread so posted here, please move if required.

Spike
Old 14th July 2011, 21:35   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post

Quote:
Yes, its Platinum Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Thanx for all the inputs.Finally booked them in at Minerva Grand,Secunderabad on a Travelguru deal of INR 3500 per night for triple occupancy with breakfast.It was toss up between Mercure and Minerva in the end,finally minerva won thanks to it being closer to Sainikpuri
Old 14th July 2011, 21:45   #3416
BHPian

NANKING C-R : Supposed to be an iconic "cheap n best" chinese eatery in Hyderabad.

Went there last weekend after constant banter about it by a colleague; liked it a lot - we had ginger chicken, chicken soup and fried rice/noodles. Ginger chicken was really good, the soup was nice, rice and noodles was nothing special.

Folks at home wanted to be there; so went again the next day. Guess it was our last visit to Nanking.

Reason - stale chicken lolipops; spoilt prawns in the mixed fried rice ( and a blown gasket )

I wouldn't recommend Nanking....
Old 14th July 2011, 21:48   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Reason - stale chicken lolipops; spoilt prawns in the mixed fried rice ( and a blown gasket )

I wouldn't recommend Nanking....
Sorry to hear about your bad experience at Nanking, josepeter.

TBHP-Hyd in its entirety has given up on Nanking. In Avi's words, no one will go there even if they're paid to eat there.

The heady days of the '80s and '90s are unfortunately just memories from the past.

Regards,
spadix
Old 15th July 2011, 10:11   #3418
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Himani Darbar Paratha House @ Ameerpet last evening for Dinner and had some amazing Parathas. (SILVERWOOD+1)

1, Aaloo Paratha
2, Methi Paratha
3, Palak Paratha &
4, Boondi Raita.

The Parathas are served with Curd and coriander chutney,the stuffing is decent and each Paratha is priced at Rs 50.

My search for a good Paratha joint in Hyderabad ends with this joint.

Total Damages-Rs 165.

BTW-This place is located in the lane next to Rayalseema Ruchulu.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:12   #3419
Senior - BHPian

People travelling to places and intending on staying in APTDC hotels,please note that the staff at APTDC have gone on strike and operations at most of their resorts have been hit.It would be a good idea to check with the resorts individually prior to finalising bookings.Vizag/Araku etc have been hit really hard with hardly any staff and the resorts have full monopoly in those locations.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:16   #3420
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday was no less than sheer madness on road with regards to traffic. I spent 3 hours if not more in the car due to which i missed the gym.

I got so upset that went to Megacity, Basheerbagh Crossroads and got a take-away to punish myself :-

Tomato soup : Rs.75
Excellent but, little sweet

Butter Chicken : Rs.175
Excellent but, I dont like Kaju's in starters and maincourse dishes

Mutton Biryani : Rs.150
More than average. But, the meat was melt in mouth types

Note, they are pioneers in sambhar rice in our city and I can guarantee no other joint can make sambhar rice like them

Now they have a 1/2 for Rs.65. Full is Rs.115. Out of this world

Also, note their portion sizes are enormous which makes them quite VFM.

Most Viewed