Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 11:25   #856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
oh, would suggest you to check it out once again, dunno how it was in between, but food was really really good yest, dunno about non-veg though, as i had veg stuff only.

hey mobike, just in case there arent many non-veg people on the 21st meet and the non-veg people who are coming dont mind good veg food, lets go to some good veg resto for the 21st dinner meet, if its ok with all. would be upto you to pick up a good one
1. Veggies are very few. Hillram, Himanshu, BBlost on occasion and one or two others being the standard bearers.

2. Ghas-phus khane se, NV logaan ka dharam brasht ho jayegaa. (Joking )

3. There are hardly any veggie restaurants that are really good in Hyd. most just dump the veggies in the sauces created for meat. One veggie place I like is Little Italy, their stuff is made well and I do not miss the meat when eating there. Only problem is that we become their bali ka bakraa when they present the bill - bahut kaat the hain. So Little Italy is not truly a veggie place - the customers are Veggie while the establishment is NV!

4. Veggie restaurants do not stop at proscribing meat, they also refrain from serving many other things.

5. Mobike (along with Pulsar, Rajesh and I) might be the last person(s) who would know anything about veggie joints in town! Our last meet in a veggie joint (Minerva in Somajiguda) was given the cold shoulder and royally ignored by most.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 14th August 2009 at 11:45.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:34   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Only problem is that we become their bali ka bakraa when they present the bill - bahut kaat the hain.
That was hilarious since i was one of their bali ka bakra recently aur acchi thara se kate muje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Mobike (along with Pulsar, Rajesh and I) might be the last person(s) who would know anything about veggie joints in town! Our last meet in a veggie joint (Minerva in Somajiguda) was given the cold shoulder and royally ignored by most. Cheers,
I concur. When we plan for a dinner out ( which is inevitably twice a week) my mom suggests a veg restuant since she is veggie and i tell my wifey. Why dont you both girls go out and have a blast. They then hurriedly change the venue to a place that serves both
Old 14th August 2009, 11:51   #858
Team-BHP Support

Dola Ri Dhani.

Nice veg food.
Good service.
Lots of space.
Fixed price.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:02   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Dola Ri Dhani.

Nice veg food.
Good service.
Lots of space.
Fixed price.
bblost: spot on about Dhola-ri-dhani, I have been there twice on a saturday and sunday, not much crowd even on a satruday, but sunday is crowded and generally the best menu is served on sunday. But it's pure veg and the preparation is Rajasthani with lots of ghee. I am tempted to write about it on the forum. There is so much to do there.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:12   #860
Senior - BHPian

I didnt know such a thread existed..Some of my reccos are as follows.Had a tough time to narrow down my list of favorites after we moved into Hyd a couple of years back.

Chinese:

Chinese Pavilion:Road #1,Banjara Hills,Below Lawrence & Mayo.Amazingly authentic and exclusive chinese.we travel all the way from Sainikpuri to here for the Chinese.Must try are the Chkn in Banana Leaf & the Bbq Chicken apart from the Bamboo Rice & Pot Rice

The veggies can feast on Mushroom in Schezwan & Crispy Babycorn in Schezwan.

Gujarati

No two thoughts abt this..has to be Rajdhani,4th floor,Big Bazaar Bldg,Ameerpet.Its a part of the global chain of Rajdhani restaurants.Amazing food.Only veg.

Downside is only Thalis available.

Momos

Theres a small little authentic momo stand right in front of Heritage Fresh @ Sindhi Colony.Truely yummy momos.Opt for the plain chicken & plain veg ones.

Sandwiches

City Deli @ Jubilee Hills opposite the Indian Oil Petrol Pump (adjacent to Movenpick).Widespread of sandwiches.

Kolkata Rolls

Dhaba's Chulha-Authentic Kolkata rolls & yummy takeaways.Raj Bhavan Road,CMR Silks Building,near Yashoda Hospital.

Indian

Kwalitys,its reopened recently.Opp Reshmi's on Park Lane.

Sizzlers

Authentic Sizzlers by the Mumbai based group-Yokos.Love them.They were initially opp City Center but have now shifted to Banjara Hills Rd-2 near Hyd House.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:06   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
bblost: spot on about Dhola-ri-dhani, I have been there twice on a saturday and sunday, not much crowd even on a satruday, but sunday is crowded and generally the best menu is served on sunday. But it's pure veg and the preparation is Rajasthani with lots of ghee. I am tempted to write about it on the forum. There is so much to do there.
Hey Manish, can you elaborate what is there to do?

I have been to DRD several times and found the place extremely boring. Been there only if there is a marwari party ( its a favorite place for them) and when someone from outstation comes and want to visit an ethnic rajasthani village

Infact, in DRD, once i almost fell down from a camel. I was getting onboard a camel from a machan and suddenly the camel veers away from the machan and i am like hung to its side flank for a good minute or two desperately trying to catch my balance and with a lot of difficulty sat atop it properly. I am sure some of you would have had a hearty laugh at my predicament

There veg thali which you have sitting cross legged is the only experience that i liked ( not that i favor that sitting style) except for some of the dishes ( e.g:- Malpua) but the food is not to my liking ( too bland for my palate)
Old 14th August 2009, 17:10   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there one? What is the name? Is it behind Tung Kein restaurant?

yupp, in the same building. via the car parking entrance, in the evening's excellent bajjis are made just beside the entrance.

Quote:
Now Now, you are trying to scare people away? Folks wont turn up if there is no NV food and soft drinks

Btw, which veg resto you have in mind?

Quote:
. Veggies are very few. Hillram, Himanshu, BBlost on occasion and one or two others being the standard bearers.

2. Ghas-phus khane se, NV logaan ka dharam brasht ho jayegaa.(joking)

3. There are hardly any veggie restaurants that are really good in Hyd. most just dump the veggies in the sauces created for meat. One veggie place I like is Little Italy, their stuff is made well and I do not miss the meat when eating there. Only problem is that we become their bali ka bakraa when they present the bill - bahut kaat the hain. So Little Italy is not truly a veggie place - the customers are Veggie while the establishment is NV!

4. Veggie restaurants do not stop at proscribing meat, they also refrain from serving many other things.

5. Mobike (along with Pulsar, Rajesh and I) might be the last person(s) who would know anything about veggie joints in town! Our last meet in a veggie joint (Minerva in Somajiguda) was given the cold shoulder and royally ignored by most.
lol, had no praticular restaurant in mind, was thinking mobike could suggest some. but already got the ans for that in the above post

well, as long as good veg food is being served along with the other stuff, any resto will do!

Quote:
Chinese:

Chinese Pavilion:Road #1,Banjara Hills,Below Lawrence & Mayo.Amazingly authentic and exclusive chinese.we travel all the way from Sainikpuri to here for the Chinese.Must try are the Chkn in Banana Leaf & the Bbq Chicken apart from the Bamboo Rice & Pot Rice

The veggies can feast on Mushroom in Schezwan & Crispy Babycorn in Schezwan.

Gujarati

No two thoughts abt this..has to be Rajdhani,4th floor,Big Bazaar Bldg,Ameerpet.Its a part of the global chain of Rajdhani restaurants.Amazing food.Only veg.

Downside is only Thalis available.

Momos

Theres a small little authentic momo stand right in front of Heritage Fresh @ Sindhi Colony.Truely yummy momos.Opt for the plain chicken & plain veg ones.

Sandwiches

City Deli @ Jubilee Hills opposite the Indian Oil Petrol Pump (adjacent to Movenpick).Widespread of sandwiches.

Kolkata Rolls

Dhaba's Chulha-Authentic Kolkata rolls & yummy takeaways.Raj Bhavan Road,CMR Silks Building,near Yashoda Hospital.

Indian

Kwalitys,its reopened recently.Opp Reshmi's on Park Lane.

Sizzlers

Authentic Sizzlers by the Mumbai based group-Yokos.Love them.They were initially opp City Center but have now shifted to Banjara Hills Rd-2 near Hyd House.
hey ranjit, your tastes seem to be matching the taste of the most of the hyd team-bhpians! come down for the meet and am sure it will be fun!

just back from tgif, excellent veg burgers, but same couldnt be said for the other stuff. pricing is way too high, would rather go to kakatiya for thier amazing paneer tikkas rather than this place unless someone really wants a american diner style ambience and food.

Last edited by aadix : 14th August 2009 at 17:11.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:45   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hey Manish, can you elaborate what is there to do?

I have been to DRD several times and found the place extremely boring. Been there only if there is a marwari party ( its a favorite place for them) and when someone from outstation comes and want to visit an ethnic rajasthani village

Infact, in DRD, once i almost fell down from a camel. I was getting onboard a camel from a machan and suddenly the camel veers away from the machan and i am like hung to its side flank for a good minute or two desperately trying to catch my balance and with a lot of difficulty sat atop it properly. I am sure some of you would have had a hearty laugh at my predicament

There veg thali which you have sitting cross legged is the only experience that i liked ( not that i favor that sitting style) except for some of the dishes ( e.g:- Malpua) but the food is not to my liking ( too bland for my palate)
wish mods can allow more than 2 smileys. Yes I am having a good laugh but can't help it, I am sorry.
On a serious note:
I actually liked the food part. May be it's bland for your taste but i liked it. My wife being a Jain (hailing originally from Rajasthan) liked it too. Plus we generally went in late afternoon(the two time I went there) and stayed till 10:30 in the night. I liked the whole, the magic show, Ghumar dance, fire show, puppet show, etc. Bet I should have tried the camel ride too, that I didn't do as yet. You can actually spend half-a day there and if everything else bores you just get hold of a charpai and look at stars.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th August 2009 at 18:47. Reason: On request.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:20   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday had dinner at one of my favorite restuarants--Angeethi

We ordered the following :-

Chandini Kebab : Rs.190
Meat Rogan Josh : Rs.225
1 Naan and 2 Roti : 120
Meat Pan Biryani : Rs.240
Total Bill : Rs.950

Chandini Kebab was superb and very well made

Rogan Josh is my all-time favorite dish from Angeethi and a must order

Pan Biryani is a different style of biryani which my wife loves and she is not a hard core meat eater and enjoys the rice only. Too much of quantity, had to pack it home. I will be forced to eat the same tonight

Btw, these fellas introduced 10% service tax not sure when they started, if i recall correctly they never used to before. Their prices too have increased and on top of it 10% SC and then 12.5% ST.

Cheating at it's best
Old 17th August 2009, 16:26   #865
Senior - BHPian

What? You paid more than 20% as tax alone!

On Saturday, I picked up Pizza from Pizza Hut, Banjara Hills Rd. 12.
Even that bill had VAT at 12.5%

Wasn't the VAT reduced to 4% recently?
Old 17th August 2009, 16:42   #866
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday had a light dinner at Kshetra @ Khairatabad.

Had 1)1/2 veg noodles soup
2) 1 coriander lemon soup
3) 1plate paneer pahari tikka
4) 1 veg spring Roll
5) Veg fried rice (parcelled)
6) A glass of lassi
7) Fruit salad with icecream(my alltime favorite at Kshetra)

Total bill among 3 of us was 556 inclusive of taxes.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 17th August 2009 at 16:44.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:47   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
My bad. 10% is service charge and 12.5% VAT. And, yes, paid 22.5% tax. Loot mar hai yeh !

@Manish, thats VFM. My bill is only for 2 people and look at the number of things you ordered. Angeethi, i am discarding you from my list
Old 17th August 2009, 17:15   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My bad. 10% is service charge and 12.5% VAT. And, yes, paid 22.5% tax. Loot mar hai yeh !

@Manish, thats VFM. My bill is only for 2 people and look at the number of things you ordered. Angeethi, i am discarding you from my list
hahaha... angeethi does charges a premium, but what about all these taxes over and above??
but pandey ji, KSHETRA is pure veg. no non-veg stuff there. We have been a regular there since last 3years. Anyday we want to eat veg, its kshetra without a doubt.
Do give it a try once.
Also the Coriander lemon soup is newly introduced and tastes nice. Veg noodles soup is a clear soup with noodles inside. Paneer pahari tikka is a little roasted/fried big chunks of paneer with mint sauce, have it hot!!
It's very VFM

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 17th August 2009 at 17:17.
Old 17th August 2009, 19:23   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post

On Saturday, I picked up Pizza from Pizza Hut, Banjara Hills Rd. 12.
Even that bill had VAT at 12.5%

Wasn't the VAT reduced to 4% recently?
Yes VAT has been reduced to 4%. But that is applicable to only those restaurants and eateries which do a business of less than 1.5 Crore annually. Pizza Hut Franchisee for Hyderabad doesn't fall under that. But the Domino's Hyderabad Franchisee does.

10% Service charge is an euphemism for tip. So thats why whereever the restaurant charges Service Charge, I don't pay any tip. This practice is prevalent in BJN Group and Mainland China.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 17th August 2009 at 19:25.
Old 17th August 2009, 19:34   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
.....but pandey ji, KSHETRA is pure veg. no non-veg stuff there. We have been a regular there since last 3years. Anyday we want to eat veg, its kshetra without a doubt..........
It's very VFM
I have been to Kshetra a few times and yes, I agree it is VFM. Service can be a little slow but has always been friendly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks