Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 19:37   #1
BHPian

The Running / Marathon Thread

Hi all,

How many of people here are medium-long distance runners / marathoners? I am wanting to run half-marathon for some time now. I have been into running for 8-9 months now - more for keeping myself fit and want to test my endurance in a half marathon. I started running with 10K run in Bangalore in May 2008 - which I completed in 1hr 14 min. Currently I can do 10km in under an hour and without getting unreasonably tired. Would be wanting to connect, share experiences and tips with others who may be interested in running.

Also, there is a midnight marathon happening on 10th midninght (technically 11th Jan) in Bangalore (Whitefield). There is a 42km martahon, 21km half-marathon, city run of 5 km and some 5km relays. Anybody from T-Bhp participating?

~maniac
Old 4th January 2009, 21:27   #2
rippergeo

You are indeed a serious maniac! Most of us here on the "automotive" forum like using mechanised transport to cover distances longer than 1-2km.

Just kidding!- always wanted to do middle and long distance running, but currently in no shape to do that. Time is the biggest factor. I get just 1/2hr on the treadmill before work, thats not enough to train is it?
I'm willing to invest longer hours training for the sake of rebuilding my endurance(used to do regular 90 kilometer cycling trips when in college)

Any advice? i'm not a fast runner by any standards, but can keep going at a slow pace for 7 km without killing myself, though the next day I might wish I had!

Normally do 3 kms a day on the treadmill.

Old 4th January 2009, 21:49   #3
BHPian

I am doing the 5 KM Run

I am planning to run the 5 Km run. Not in shape to run the Full Marathon or Half Marathon.

Used to run while in college days the long distance runs, I ran the half marathon a couple of years back without proper preparation. Believe me, I was sore all over for a week after that.
Serious_maniac since you have been practicing 10km for quite sometime now. I am sure you can easily do the half marathon. Go go for it man
Old 4th January 2009, 22:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Used to run 12-15km 4 times a week until I got into muscle-building about 3-4 months ago. These days I stick to short 100-200m sprints after working out.
Old 4th January 2009, 22:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
You are indeed a serious maniac! Most of us here on the "automotive" forum like using mechanised transport to cover distances longer than 1-2km.

Just kidding!- always wanted to do middle and long distance running, but currently in no shape to do that. Time is the biggest factor. I get just 1/2hr on the treadmill before work, thats not enough to train is it?
I'm willing to invest longer hours training for the sake of rebuilding my endurance(used to do regular 90 kilometer cycling trips when in college)

Any advice? i'm not a fast runner by any standards, but can keep going at a slow pace for 7 km without killing myself, though the next day I might wish I had!

Normally do 3 kms a day on the treadmill.
Build it up slowly and you will be hitting 10KM+ in no time. I used to do 6 miles every morning (weekdays). Initially when I started I was very limited and could not even manage a mile.
Old 4th January 2009, 22:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Build it up slowly and you will be hitting 10KM+ in no time. I used to do 6 miles every morning (weekdays). Initially when I started I was very limited and could not even manage a mile.
+1 to this.

In 3 months time you should be able to run 10 km. Also after running a few km, if you are not straining yourself too hard, running longer distance is more in the mind. One thing is for sure, if you are conscious about keeping fit, running will make you feel good. Also ~10 kmph should be good for amateurs. So anybody for Midnight marathon on 10/11 Jan.

~maniac
Old 5th January 2009, 05:00   #7
BHPian

Slightly OT

How much time should be there between eating something and then running?
I find that, I can easily do 10 km in under an hr if I run in morning before having any food. But whenever I go for a run in evening after a decent lunch (4-5 hrs break in between), I feel tired after half an hr or so.
Old 5th January 2009, 08:15   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Slightly OT

How much time should be there between eating something and then running?
I find that, I can easily do 10 km in under an hr if I run in morning before having any food. But whenever I go for a run in evening after a decent lunch (4-5 hrs break in between), I feel tired after half an hr or so.
your tiredness is not due to lunch but due to the evening hours when the sun is till up there and the air is polluted and warm. You are used to the morning atmosphere. Running within 4 hrs of good lunch is not advisable though you can do it depending on how you spent the intervening 4 hrs.

Fruit/juice or some light healthy snack is preferable before running, also don't gulp too much water before or while running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
+1 to this.

So anybody for Midnight marathon on 10/11 Jan.

~maniac
I would have liked to but most probably will not be in town.

For many of you thinking you can do a road run because you practice on treadmill, I hate to say this but that will not help you at all, you will tire in no time. Treadmill running is good only for staying fit.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
For many of you thinking you can do a road run because you practice on treadmill, I hate to say this but that will not help you at all, you will tire in no time. Treadmill running is good only for staying fit.
If you set the treadmill at a decent incline and a half decent speed (combined with road running) will help improve your times.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ran two Half Marathons (21 kms) a few years ago (the 2nd and 3rd Mumbai Marathon). Had a lot of fun.

First time clocked 1.59hrs and the second 1.50.
The third would have been considerably faster as was clocking 1.40 in practice runs around 3 weeks ahead of the Marathon. Alas, got down with jaundice immediately and have since then not been able to run.

Planned to this year and was shocked when i tried to register in November. It seems registration was done with and full before October????!!! Thats silly, i thought. The next year for sure, though i dont know what timings ill be able to keep.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:44   #11
BHPian

I completed the Sunfeast world 10k in 1 hr 4 secs but since then have not been jogging. Started jogging since 26th December and currently doing 4 kms. So I dont think I am in a position to complete the half-marathon, next time for sure.

All the best for your effort.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:56   #12
BHPian

@thiyags22 : I completed that in 1hr 14 min . I am not thinking much about timing for this run - so long as I complete it. I think if I run / jog for most distance, which i think I should be able to do, it should take me 2:00 - 2:30. Its my first half-marathon so no precedence and no expectations. For me it is currently more joy of running & completing one 21km run.

@V-16 : I also realized in November that Mumbai marathon got all booked up even though a friend reminded me much in advance. Am sure to participate in a few more in this year (delhi et. al.) especially after I complete this midnight half marathon. Any specific training schedule you were following?

~maniac
Old 5th January 2009, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thats superb timing man.
The first time i participated, (the 2nd year of the marathon) found out 3 weeks before the event. Practised for precisely 14 days and ran. I was heavily into cardio and aerobics so could easily sustain the pressure. In the second event i started runnig long distances only a month ago. During that time i would do Lands end (NCPA) to Walkeshwar turning (one way 4.5 km) twice over, i.s. 18 km. with no specific diet. I just made sure i was not tired when i ran and had, taken a good rest before.

This year i almost enrolled into a Marathon training programme when i found out that the registeration was full. So i dropped the programme. Now im running around 5 -7 km thhrice a week plannig to go for it everyday. Not for the marathon but just to keep fit.
Old 5th January 2009, 15:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
I am not thinking much about timing for this run - so long as I complete it. I think if I run / jog for most distance, which i think I should be able to do, it should take me 2:00 - 2:30. Its my first half-marathon so no precedence and no expectations. For me it is currently more joy of running & completing one 21km run.
you are very right, timing is of least importance. I used to do lots of long distance running in school / college but noting in the past ten years. So when I tried jogging for the Sunfeast my timing was so bad since I prepared for only 2 weeks. My wife that time said timing is not important and it is the satisfaction of completion that matters, that was so true when I finished the 10k.

Thiyags
Old 5th January 2009, 19:25   #15
BHPian

guys, the best way to train for training for long distance running is to do interval training. that means while training you jog/walk and run in short intervals and increasing the intervals and stamina increases.

i personally recommend the one at cool running since it's tried and tested by me. i easily run 5k in 25 min at 12kmph non stop after following this program. am thinking of increasing my speed for the same distance instead of trying to run longer distances. needless to say you need some good music to keep those legs going.
Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks