Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 17:40   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: I love Running

Any TBhpian enrolled for Bangalore Marathon?
Old 15th May 2012, 23:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Gentlemen, enrolled myself for a half marathon (21 kms) that will take place in May 2013, leaving me with a year to prepare! Quite excited, to be honest and setting myself with a challenge like this keeps me motivated to regularly exercise.

As of today I can run approx. 7 kms in 30 minutes. Aiming to complete the 21 km run in under 2 hours. Suggestions/advice/tips/tricks on how to prepare would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Old 16th May 2012, 06:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Thanks both of you'll.

No I am not facing any physical problems. Just that it bores me to death. I do run outdoors only.
How do you listen to music while running? The earphones make quite a bit of sound as they move up and down while running and that becomes a further irritant.
Use in ear buds that will fit snugly in your ears and wont really move around. Other than that there are a few other designs that are designed for active use that will be comfortable to use while you work out.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Gentlemen, enrolled myself for a half marathon (21 kms) that will take place in May 2013, leaving me with a year to prepare! Quite excited, to be honest and setting myself with a challenge like this keeps me motivated to regularly exercise.

As of today I can run approx. 7 kms in 30 minutes. Aiming to complete the 21 km run in under 2 hours. Suggestions/advice/tips/tricks on how to prepare would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Apart from a complex carbohydrate meal 2 hours prior to your marathon, take some pre-workout 1 hour before marathon - ECA Stack or Geranium Stem + Caffeine coupled with Citrulline Malate. It'll directly increase your performance. Also keep sipping BCAA's aftyer every 5 minutes to cut down on CNS fatigue. All this will help you immensely.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Good John. Enjoy the 10k run. Do not forget to post your timings. Are you opting for the timing chip?
Yes, I am opting for the timing chip. I'll post my time if I can manage a decent time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Few of my running goals for this season:
Wow, now I know why your handle is MileCruncher!
Old 16th May 2012, 11:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
1.Should you run daily or weekly ?
2.Should you land on the heel or entire foot ?
3. any other things to considered for not damaging the heel or causing any injury in long term ?
i would like to speak here more about jogging,

1) Jog everday if you can. The rule goes like this " you eat everyday, so do you exercise"

2) You should land on the area between your heel and the flat area just after the toe. Do not land on your heel or the toe.

3) You need to have a good pair of well designed shoes. It is enjoyable if you do run/jog technically, instead of just doing it for the heck of it.

4) Use knee supports for first few runs or jogs.

I jog everyday without fail. Jogging is one thing i just dont miss at any costs.

You can really enjoy it if you start off slowly and learn to do it properly over a period of time. Please note that Jogging/Running involves most of your muscles and most importantly the "HEART MUSCLE" So please take care while you do it.

please seek a physician advise before you start an exercise/running routine if you have never done it before.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of posts asking about the best shoe. There is no single answer to this question. But what one should definitely know is their foot type.

Check out your foot type from here Running Shoes, Apparel & Accessories @ ASICSAmerica

Asics running shoes are available in India. Brooks, Mizuno and Saucony are also good running shoes. Salomon also makes good trail running shoes.

One advice that I give every new runner is that don't buy a new shoe when you are just starting out. Use your existing shoes till your are able to run atleast a 5k non-stop. By then you'll know what kind of shoes you require. Apart from shoes, apparels are also very important. Cotton is a big no-no as it absorbs sweat. You need either a synthetic material or dry-fit tees/shorts so that the sweat can be wicked off the skin.

Running in a group also helps immensely. Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai have good running clubs:
  1. Bangalore - RFL - Runners For Life
  2. Delhi - R&L - Running andLiving
  3. Hyderabad - Hyderabad Runners - Running club in Hyderabad
  4. Chennai - Chennai Runners - Chennai Runners | Do More…..Start Running!
Happy running!
Old 16th May 2012, 13:49   #38
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Nice thread we have here.
I am nowhere in the league of Milecruncher, (and don't think I will reach there), but currently I stand at 2 miles in 19 minutes club. I can do around 4kms in 30 minutes.
Thats my stamina.
Hope to increase it to 5kms in 30 minutes.

I have been using Asics for running, but am currently experimenting with thin soled shoes. I am trying to become a midfoot/toe runner from midfoot/heel runner I naturally am.

From what I have read, in the long term, heel runners can damage their knees.

MY running surface is the treadmill(weather does not permit outdoor running here, and tracks are also in short supply)

Hopefully, minimalistic running will strengthen my foot. Currently its over-pampered with cushioned shoes from Asics.
Old 17th May 2012, 08:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

http://runningshoes.com/Data/Default...nfographic.jpg makes for interesting reading
Old 17th May 2012, 11:07   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I wonder why these shoes are so expensive. They are just like a rubber glove.
I guess with popularity, prices will drop.
For example, the shoes we used to play in when we were kids, and Nike and reebok were simply not there to loot our parents, cost 100rs, and had a flat thin sole. They used to be called "fleet" shoes. White in color.
I guess thats why most people in our age group are not strictly heel runners.

Bata also makes a shoe with around 2mm heel drop. Its of Power brand and costs 700rs.
Extremely light, and has the barefoot feel. But may not last more than 200 miles of running.
Old 17th May 2012, 15:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

The cheapest such shoe is :
Casual shoes | Buy Casual shoes Online in India
Huaraches Barefoot Running Sandals of the Tarahumara Indians | InvisibleShoe.com if u like it bit DIY.

i know those fleet shoes - we used them in school ourselves - including the occasional wash and the polish as well!!

as for the prices - typical MNC mega-corp prices. what to do!
Old 18th July 2012, 15:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

The running season this year starts with Airtel Hyderabad Marathon on 26th August. The weirdest thing is Airtel Delhi Half Marathon is on 30th September and that too starts at 7:10AM . God knows what were the organisers thinking.

Also registrations open tomorrow for SCMM 2013.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2012, 15:58   #43

Nice and interesting thread.
I am also an amateur runner and try to run 5 times in a week. My weekly mileage is approx. 50Kms. I have been participating in marathons since 2010 (Next year, it would be my 4th Mumbai Full marathon). I have clocked 1:52 as best for my HM and 4:36 best for my full marathon in Mumbai.
For all those who are preparing for SCMM 2013, it is slightly more difficult to run in Mumbai than other places especially if you are not too comfortable with humidity and hot weather. Running in Mumbai is 15 mins more than running in Pune for full marathon distance.
As far as shoes are concerned there is no thumb rule. I used Nike Lunar in 2011, Asics in 2012 and currently i am using Nike Free 3.0. Most of the expert runners these days are moving to minimalistic shoes/barefoot running. I have seen Milind Soman running in VFF during his practice runs.
Shoes will not make the change; it is your consistent practice and disciplined running which will take you to your target.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th July 2012 at 16:12. Reason: removed FONT tags
Old 18th July 2012, 16:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The running season this year starts with Airtel Hyderabad Marathon on 26th August. The weirdest thing is Airtel Delhi Half Marathon is on 30th September and that too starts at 7:10AM . God knows what were the organisers thinking.

Also registrations open tomorrow for SCMM 2013.

Cheers
Any idea how to register for the Hyd10K?

Also, for the SCMM, it seems like a timing certificate is required for the 21K. Is that correct? Is there a way for someone who has been training and is now finally fit enough to do 21?
Old 18th July 2012, 16:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Any idea how to register for the Hyd10K?
Airtel Hyderabad Marathon 2012 doesn't have a 10K category. You can run a Half Marathon or Relay Marathon which is 10.5K X 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Also, for the SCMM, it seems like a timing certificate is required for the 21K. Is that correct? Is there a way for someone who has been training and is now finally fit enough to do 21?
You can register without timing certificate also. Just that you'll get the last start classification. But that hardly matters. Just make sure you register in the beginning as HM slots get filled up very fast.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks