Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2018, 10:12   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Just a call-out; if anyone has registered for the Mumbai (/Tata) Half this January and is not capable/interested/able to do the run due to personal reasons, please give me a buzz. I'm ready to pay out the amount and do the run. Officially the run would be in your name with all the bells & whistles

Forgot about the deadline due to work; now it's sold out completely!
Thanks in advance
Old 13th October 2018, 11:07   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
By "marathon" I trust you mean the full 42 kms. If that is the case, at the outset I'd say you should attempt a half first before heading to the full zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Don’t focus on speed initially if you are doing a full marathon (or even shorter distances like the half or 10k). Listen to your body and run at a comfortable pace for your first few long runs. Don’t try to run a marathon if all you have done is 5 Ks.

Thanks guys!!

Sorry for not making it clear. I intend to do the 10km run at Pune international marathon. Not the full and not even the half. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough.

But I get your point. Will concentrate only on completing this time and not on the speed!

Thanks again.
Old 13th October 2018, 12:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

I have been a "fair weather" runner for a few years now - meaning I run outdoors during summer and autumn, then give up running altogether at the first hint of snow. It's the slippery roads that scare me more than the cold. Then the inertia of rest ensures that I waste the spring also without running. I had never run in a competitive event until this year. This year, I got together with some friends and did a 5k event in May and finished in 31:xx. I then did a couple of 10k events with finishing times of 1:01:xx and 1:00:xx. In between the 10k events, I figured out a 21k route around my home and finished it in 2:29:xx.

With these behind me, I registered for a half marathon event in May 2019. There's a lot of time to train, but winter is starting soon. It's not clear how many days of outdoor training I can do before the event. I hate running on the treadmill, but there is no way I can avoid it if I have to keep myself fit for the event. So, what would be a good way to prepare for the event? Should I use any of the HM training plans available on the net and follow it on the treadmill? Is there a good plan that our members can suggest?

I am not a member of any running clubs and I don't have a coach. Although I have run some events with friends, we don't train together (anyway, the winter would make it very difficult to train outdoors together). So, it will just be me training on my own.
Old 14th October 2018, 19:39   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Don’t focus on speed initially....
Quote:
By "marathon" I trust you mean the full 42 kms....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
First you need to find out your pronation....
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Weight is an important parameter that drives performance....
Looking for advice from experienced folks on the topic of running. I have started running recently (about 2 months back, 1-2 a week on the treadmill at the Gym). The objective is two fold:

1) Reduce weight: I am 6'2" and at the peak of the 'unhealthy phase', I was at 116Kg. With moderation in my food intake and eliminating junk food by 90% I managed to reach 106Kg. No change in my activity until now (before I started running) but this drop was a quick one. This 106Kg wasn't going down until I started running and going to the Gym recently.

2) Improve overall fitness and stamina: I have noticed feeling better myself physically and also stamina improvements after I started running. I intend to continue running for the same reason.

I have now managed to come down to 104Kg but because my food intake has not changed (three Indian meals a day, 1 large tea-cup in the morning and some lovely Indian sweets), and also the fact that I do weights after my running at the Gym, I am not going down quickly these days.

Performance so far: I started with 5KMs and took 55 mins for it. Later managed to complete 5MKs in 45 mins and now I have moved to doing 6Ks in 55 mins. This is when I focus distance/longer duration rather than speed. When focusing on speed I do 4KMs in 30 mins. I then move to doing weights for about 30-60 mins. This I do 1-2 times a week, depending upon availability of time. All my running is at +2 incline when dong speed and at +4 when I reduce the speed in between.

The Goal: I wish to being able to do 8KMs in 60 mins in immediate future and then reach 10KMs finally. I always do some weights after running. Intended body weight target is about 92 Kg. Subsequent targets may come after achieving these but for now, I am focusing on these.

I feel some better shoes might help me with speed and foot comfort. I had developed a very minor pain in the right knee but after some rest and stretching it has gone. I am worried that improper shoes might actually damage my knees.

So I need some advice on

1) What type of shoes should i get, if that makes a difference. I currently use regular sports shoes from Puma. These are due for a change soon.
2) What can I add/remove from my diet to move towards my goal.
3) Any particular weight exercise that I can add/do more to move towards my goal and keep my legs/knees protected.
4) Lastly, is my approach and goal on the right path? What do I need to improve or stop doing to move closer to my goal.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Note: It is not easy for me to hire a regular trainer due to inconsistent availability of time. I wish to do this more every week but I have work commitments and a daily commute of 4 hours (2 hours each side) to work. I waste these 4 hours sitting cramped in those limited space cabs doing nothing.

Last edited by sunilch : 14th October 2018 at 19:52.
Old 14th October 2018, 21:37   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Looking for advice from experienced folks on the topic of running. I have started running recently (about 2 months back, 1-2 a week on the treadmill at the Gym). The objective is two fold:

1) Reduce weight: I am 6'2" and at the peak of the 'unhealthy phase', I was at 116Kg. With moderation in my food intake and eliminating junk food by 90% I managed to reach 106Kg.
2) Improve overall fitness and stamina:...
I have now managed to come down to 104Kg but because my food intake has not changed (three Indian meals a day, 1 large tea-cup in the morning and some lovely Indian sweets), and also the fact that I do weights after my running at the Gym, I am not going down quickly these days.

Performance so far: I started with 5KMs and took 55 mins for it. Later managed to complete 5MKs in 45 mins and now I have moved to doing 6Ks in 55 mins.....
In terms of training, the key is to do different types of workout. If you do the same type of runs, the body will get into a plateau and progress will become very slow. Do at least one interval training a week. You should run at full intensity for 400 meters (you should be breathless at the end of the 400 meters), followed by 400 meters of easy jog (or walk). Repeat this 400+400 cycle 4 or 5 times. Do a couple of moderate intensity runs, and then one long run at still lesser intensity. When you mix such workouts, you will see quick improvement in your running pace.

As I had mentioned before, weight plays a significant role in overall fitness and also improving running pace. You have to work on what you eat. Cut all sugar and simple carbs like rice, maida etc. Check out the LCHF method of eating in the Weight Loss Thread, and see if you can implement this. If you can bring down your weight to your target weight of 92kg, you should be able to run at a much faster pace than what you are doing now.

Good luck with your fitness journey
Old 14th October 2018, 22:08   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a call-out; if anyone has registered for the Mumbai (/Tata) Half this January and is not capable/interested/able to do the run due to personal reasons, please give me a buzz. I'm ready to pay out the amount and do the run. Officially the run would be in your name with all the bells & whistles

Forgot about the deadline due to work; now it's sold out completely!
Thanks in advance

This is not advisable for any serious runner. Technically if someone calls this out the person with the registered bib can be banned from future events. You can still get plenty of charity bibs without even a timing certificate. If you do not know where to get one you can PM me and I can connect you to someone who has such charity bibs officially.
Old 15th October 2018, 05:58   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I then did a couple of 10k events with finishing times of 1:01:xx and 1:00:xx. In between the 10k events, I figured out a 21k route around my home and finished it in 2:29:xx.
If you were able to do a half on your own, you are in much much better shape than majority of the beginners. Running is a mental game as much as it is a physical game. You have already conquered the first part.

Don't have options to your questions but you could also plan your training tempo with other gym based cardio activities/ internal games during the cold months; and plan the schedule a month before the run. You should be good on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I can connect you to someone who has such charity bibs officially.
Thank you for the kind words, I'll keep the risks in in mind. I'm aware of the charity bibs, they won't work for me unless you can help arrange options without the monetary aspect. But thanks again.

Meanwhile, I'll just put it out again - if applicable, please let me know via a PM
Quote:
Just a call-out; if anyone has registered for the Mumbai (/Tata) Half this January and is not capable/interested/able to do the run due to personal reasons, please give me a buzz.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th October 2018 at 06:05.
Old 16th October 2018, 07:03   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So I need some advice on

1) What type of shoes should i get, if that makes a difference. I currently use regular sports shoes from Puma. These are due for a change soon.
3) Any particular weight exercise that I can add/do more to move towards my goal and keep my legs/knees protected.
4) Lastly, is my approach and goal on the right path? What do I need to improve or stop doing to move closer to my goal.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Great goals there. My first advice would be to not focus too much on speed initially but instead focus on coming to a good size / weight as a priority. If you're much heavier than your ideal weight then you might have higher chances of injuring yourself with faster running.

To that end (and on point 4), here are a few tips:
1. Slow long runs aid fat burning better than hard fast runs. They will also be easier on your knees and joints. Focus more on that till you reach closer to your goal weight.

2. Strength training is important. Both to ensure that your running muscles are stronger and also to aid fat loss. Legs and core work is more important but obviously importantly to have a full body approach.

3. Diet: Eat food, mostly plants. :-) I mean cut out all processed food and sugar. Cut down carbs (cut out at night if you can). Lots of veggies, some proteins, least carbs. Low to minimal oil. No cheese, butter, Sugary snacks etc. Reduce salt too. Diet is 80% of the weight loss battle. You can't out run / out-workout a bad diet. Keep a cheat treat maybe once every 15-20 days (that's little outlet can be important too to help stay on diet)

4. On shoes, just get a shoe that is comfortable for you. In India, ASICS stores can recommend the right shoe for your foot type and running style (depending on your arch and landing). Go to a ASICS store that has a treadmill and does the necessary tests. If you travel overseas, you will find this facility in many multi-brand stores as well.

5. If you can throw in any cross training like rowing or cycling or swimming nothing like it. Just puts in some variation into your game.

Hope this helps.
Old 29th October 2018, 23:51   #189
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of training....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Great goals there.....
So after posting my qurey here and getting the responses from you guys, I had two 60+ mins runs.

At first attempt I managed 7.2 Kms in 60mins and then added another 0.18 in the last 2 'cooldown' minutes.

I had a few smaller 30min runs after that due to lack of time and did manage to do 4Kms in 30 mins.

Finally today I had another 62 min run and below is the result

Now I intend to check how long will I need to complete 10Kms and then try to bring it to 60mins. This way I can maintain consistency I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
The Running / Marathon Thread-20181029_194446.jpg  

Old 30th October 2018, 12:03   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Any Bhpians doing the Pune International (half) marathon this Dec, do give me a holler (read:PM) if you are planning to do any of the runs (full/half/10k/5k). Would be happy to connect or even run together!

Edit: Same goes for the Chennai (Wipro/Sketchers) marathon in Jan first week
Old 30th October 2018, 12:15   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally today I had another 62 min run and below is the result
That is a good start. Keep running and add interval workouts once or twice a week and you should be able to achieve your goals soon

Quote:
Would be happy to connect or even run together!
Not running in the event. Even if I were, doubt if I could run with you. Have seen your pace in Strava Are you doing the full marathon? Have a great run.
Old 30th October 2018, 12:34   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not running in the event. Even if I were, doubt if I could run with you. Have seen your pace in Strava Are you doing the full marathon? Have a great run.
My pace is nowhere the levels I had a year back Focus is on enjoying the run these days

Only the half; no plans on conquering the full for the time being.
Old 30th October 2018, 14:04   #193
Team-BHP Support

The Running / Marathon Thread

Maybe we can create a strava group. Team bhp ians on strava. Anyone keen anywhere in india can join.

Thoughts?
Old 30th October 2018, 14:17   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
So, what would be a good way to prepare for the event? Should I use any of the HM training plans available on the net and follow it on the treadmill? Is there a good plan that our members can suggest?
I read somewhere that a 1% incline on the treadmill would simulate running outside. If I'm running outside, I don't listen to music. On treadmill, I listen to music or watch some TV. Otherwise it gets too boring.

Regarding plans, I would suggest either Hal Higdon, or Pfitz, or Nike+. You can adapt the plans to your convenience.

Quote:

1. Regarding shoes, you should try out different types to see which fit you. There are multiple options depending on the cushioning, drop, ground feel etc. The main thing is forefoot/midfoot landing. Beginner runners usually have a heel strike. This is bad for your knees.

2. I am 6' even. I used to weigh 120 KGs. The main thing I cut from my diet is sugar. I don't have any added sugar (sweets, fruit juice, tea/coffee etc). This helped a lot. The other thing I cut is about oil. I have cut about 90% oil from my diet. I now weigh 86 KGs. I was 82 at my lightest.
Old 30th October 2018, 14:38   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
1. ....The main thing is forefoot/midfoot landing. Beginner runners usually have a heel strike. This is bad for your knees.

2. I am 6' even. I used to weigh 120 KGs. The main thing I cut from my diet is sugar. I don't have any added sugar (sweets, fruit juice, tea/coffee etc). This helped a lot. The other thing I cut is about oil. I have cut about 90% oil from my diet. I now weigh 86 KGs. I was 82 at my lightest.
Thanks the_joker. Your transformation is inspiring

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks