Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 05:21   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Any advice on how to improve performance?...

My current 5K time is around 28 mins and 10K around 1 hour, half marathon around 2:20
But I seem to be stuck at this range for some time. How do I go about improving the times? I have read lots of articles on the net but wanted to know what has worked for people. Is it just about being patient and following the routine?

I have some opportunity to lose some weight which will definitely improve my running performance. I am overweight by 6-7 kgs at least. So, my first goal is to take care of the calorie intake and reduce the weight by 5 kgs at least which should help my running.
Weight is an important parameter that drives performance. Weight and fat % of the body affect performance greatly. Last year my weight was 89kg, at least 15 kg high. The best 10K I could achieve was 1:26 hours. I did lots of training, but no effect. Then this year I decided to focus on my weight first. I followed a low carb diet and reduced my weight by 10kg in about 3 months. Last week I achieved a 10K timing of 1:11, a 15 minute improvement. I still have to lose about 6kg of weight and once that is done, I may be able to do a 1 hour 10k. So, if you feel that you have hit a plateau and you have excess weight, first focus on shedding that excess weight.

Check out the weight loss thread, where lots of discussion on the low carb diet has been taking place of late, and many have successfully lost weight.

Another area to focus is your cardiovascular fitness. If you constantly run at higher intensities which results in higher heart rate, your body needs energy from the glycogen supply from muscles which is actually very small compared to the energy stored in fat.

Training at lower intensities (even though you may be slow in the beginning) could help in getting out of this plateau.

Check out the below article.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/ru...ng-maf-method/
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:10   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Weight is an important parameter that drives performance. Weight and fat % of the body affect performance greatly. Last year my weight was 89kg, at least 15 kg high. The best 10K I could achieve was 1:26 hours. I did lots of training, but no effect. Then this year I decided to focus on my weight first. I followed a low carb diet and reduced my weight by 10kg in about 3 months. Last week I achieved a 10K timing of 1:11, a 15 minute improvement. I still have to lose about 6kg of weight and once that is done, I may be able to do a 1 hour 10k. So, if you feel that you have hit a plateau and you have excess weight, first focus on shedding that excess weight.

Check out the weight loss thread, where lots of discussion on the low carb diet has been taking place of late, and many have successfully lost weight.

Another area to focus is your cardiovascular fitness. If you constantly run at higher intensities which results in higher heart rate, your body needs energy from the glycogen supply from muscles which is actually very small compared to the energy stored in fat.

Training at lower intensities (even though you may be slow in the beginning) could help in getting out of this plateau.

Check out the below article.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/ru...ng-maf-method/
Thanks. even I will be focusing on reducing weight. But I don't like to do anything drastic for weight reduction. I will do it slow and steady

One thing I will tell you from experience - initial improvements are easy to come but the better you get the more difficult it will become.
My 10K used to be around 1:10 1.5 years back. And I quickly reached around 1 hour mark without much effort. But, progress after that has been really difficult.
Old 2nd September 2016, 14:03   #153
BHPian

Quote:
My 10K used to be around 1:10 1.5 years back. And I quickly reached around 1 hour mark without much effort. But, progress after that has been really difficult.
Have you tried miCoach App by Adidas. It's free and has loads of training programmes.
Old 19th October 2016, 16:21   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
wow graaja, i never knew we both share one more thing in common other than jetta. Last month only i completed Ladakh marathon as my maiden full marathon. below is my story.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...on-2016-a.html
Old 19th October 2016, 21:17   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
wow graaja, i never knew we both share one more thing in common other than jetta. Last month only i completed Ladakh marathon as my maiden full marathon. below is my story.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...on-2016-a.html
Wow. Awesome. Congratulations on the full Marathon man Hats off to you on completing a full marathon in just 1.5 years after starting running.

Though we share the same interest in running, I think I am at least 3 years behind you!

Since my last half marathon was a disaster (took 3:15 hours), I have decided to first increase my fitness levels and then attempt the half marathon next year. Will attempt a full marathon only after a few half marathons.

Keep up the effort. Wishing you many more marathons in the future and maybe some ultra marathons too
Old 25th October 2016, 12:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any advice on how to improve performance?
I have been running on and off for a couple of years.. In 2015 I ran regularly for 3-4 months for about 100 kms per month and then stopped. This year I have been running for the last 3 months at an average of 120-140 kms per month.

My current 5K time is around 28 mins and 10K around 1 hour, half marathon around 2:20
Only way from here is losing weight. The empirical formula for weight = Height (in cms) - 100. Unless you are extremely muscular, this is what you should be aiming at. BMI is not a correct indicator.

And the only way to lose weight is by following a structured plan. my plan that has helped me lose about 4Kgs/ month without too much running is as follows:
  1. No alcohol for the 30 day period
  2. No processed white sugar
  3. 5 meals in a day, small quantities
  4. Chappatti made out flour mixed of whole wheat atta, ragi and jowar.
  5. Lots of veggies and salad
  6. Proteins like lentils or meat.
  7. and the most important 7-8hrs of sleep.
And as you get lighter, you will become faster.

I recently ran 83KMS in a 12 Hr event ( includes about 2 hrs of rest, stretching, eating et al) in August and I was 66Kgs then. General travelling, rest and not much training resulted in me gaining about 2kgs. I intend to get to 65Kgs mark soon as I start my training for SCMM.

p.s: I'm 36, 165cm and 30" waist and about 20.1% body fat.
Old 18th December 2017, 12:19   #157
BHPian

Has any BHPian registered for Tata Mumbai Marathon? It would be great to connect with folks there.
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:30   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Has any BHPian registered for Tata Mumbai Marathon? It would be great to connect with folks there.
This will be my 7th appearance at the Mumbai Marathon. Running the FM
Old 26th December 2017, 12:45   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This will be my 7th appearance at the Mumbai Marathon. Running the FM
A streaker! And that too, 7th time!

I am also running the FM. Do you have any time goal in mind? I am planning 3:58 finish. But I am not confident about it because of the weather.
Old 19th January 2018, 11:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
I am going for my first mumbai marathon this year. Did Ladakh FM last year. Nice to see some BHPians in this sport as well.
Old 19th January 2018, 20:54   #161
BHPian

Guys,

I am posting here in the hope that someone can help me.

About myself: Working in Miami. A very active person. Ran a few half marathons, play tennis, yoga. This was up-to end of 2015. Life was so happy. Then wanting to be a better runner, started strength training in Jan of 2016. I did not do something right and that started a minute pain in my right knee. Stopped strength training but continued to do run and play tennis. Made a few visits to the doctors office in 2016. Was told everything was alright and continued playing. That minute pain kept on coming. Stopped running and went to doctor in Jan 2017. Put to Physical Therapy. Was told i need to strengthen my VMO muscle(though given exercises to strength all muscles). Felt good in April. Wanted to start running again. Suddenly symptoms changed and something else started happening in the right knee by may 2017. Went to doctor again. Diagnosed with Patella Femoral Syndrome/Chondromalacia/Runners knee. Was asked to do the same exercises. After doing it for months, started feeling better by end november 2017. December was very good. But then something else started happening by end december. I was given exercises to strengthen all four sides of my upper leg muscles. I think the inner thigh muscle or VMO is not as strong as it should be. That is causing a new problem. When ever I sit in a chair, I hear a bone rubbing against bone sound on the top left side of the right knee. No doctor is able to confirm if thats the case. Sometime it gets too difficult to go to work. From January 2017 onwards, I had no fun time for me. As I am the only working person in the family, I am trying my best to see that this does not effect my job.

I request people on the forum if there is a way to figure out which muscle is causing the problem to my right knee. If i can get back to my runners knee excercises for a few more months, i get my life back(not running but atleast taking my 7 year old to the park). I think the inner thigh/VMO muscle is keeping the patella tendon from tracking. I told this my doctors but with no help.

Is there a way to balance my upper leg muscles. Meaning inner vs outer thigh muscles. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am already seeing a few orthopedics. But I need a good physical therapist either in USA or in India.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:15   #162
BHPian

Hi All

Great to meet you all virtually. I recently started running for the fun of it. I thought it would be good to do something interesting as one approaches mid life crisis (45+ now). I average about 40k per week (6 days) and hit a pace of about 7.1m/km. That is the good part. Now for the funny thing.

I run with midsole/toe strikes and therefore there is a bit of wear and tear. Of late i am seeing that the skin below the left foot (mid sole) towards the big toe is starting to peel out. This happens the next day of running. During the run, there is no pain, burn etc. So i changed the shoes. I moved from vibram komodo to Nike Free 2 and then now onto an Addidas Pureboost.

Question i have is - is there a change i need to make in the way i run ? Last year i did run for a couple of months barefoot, but that was on the beach and i had no issues. Any responses would definitely help.
Old 24th January 2018, 00:06   #163
BHPian

This helped me to run in a painless way

Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon https://www.amazon.in/dp/145161795X/..._Bb4zAbV6N6YFF
Old 27th January 2018, 22:53   #164
BHPian

Has anyone heard of Breaking2 by Nike? It was attempt to finish the Marathon under 2 hours.

Is it actually impossible to complete the marathon under 2 hours?

A link to its trailer.

A complete documentary is also available.
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:05   #165
Senior - BHPian

Shoe Advice

Presently I am using Newfeel PW 580 shoes bought from Decathalon which were bought primarily for walking. However, recently I have moved over to half and mini marathons since a few months. I have been using this Newfeel shoe and some general purpose Nike/adidas sports shoes.
As such I dont have any injury or pain/problem with present setup but I feel that with increasing distance (and increasing age/40 now) I need to give a proper cushioning to my knees. The search on net is actually no help. Most blogs are full of affiliate links therefore I suspect the genuine ness of research.
Any suggestions from fello runners is welcome. I am looking at about 8k budget max.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks