Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2018, 12:53   #166
BHPian

Re: Shoe Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Any suggestions from fello runners is welcome. I am looking at about 8k budget max.
First you need to find out your pronation. Here is an informative link

You can get a gait analysis at any Asics store. That'll help you narrow down the shoes you should look for. Here is another link to help you narrow down your search.

I've been using Asics, Mizuno, and Saucony. All of them have shoes which fit your budget, however, Mizuno and Saucony are only available online.
Old 3rd February 2018, 16:20   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hi All

Great to meet you all virtually. I recently started running for the fun of it. I thought it would be good to do something interesting as one approaches mid life crisis (45+ now). I average about 40k per week (6 days) and hit a pace of about 7.1m/km. That is the good part. Now for the funny thing.

I run with midsole/toe strikes and therefore there is a bit of wear and tear. Of late i am seeing that the skin below the left foot (mid sole) towards the big toe is starting to peel out. This happens the next day of running. During the run, there is no pain, burn etc. So i changed the shoes. I moved from vibram komodo to Nike Free 2 and then now onto an Addidas Pureboost.

Question i have is - is there a change i need to make in the way i run ? Last year i did run for a couple of months barefoot, but that was on the beach and i had no issues. Any responses would definitely help.
Did you start your running journey with Vibram Komodo?
Old 3rd February 2018, 19:36   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Did you start your running journey with Vibram Komodo?
I started with Vibram KSO and then moved to Komodo after that gave up. But now i moved away from Vibrams to regular running shoes, but with a thinner sole and minimal heel. My strike is primarily mid foot to toe
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:36   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
As such I dont have any injury or pain/problem with present setup but I feel that with increasing distance (and increasing age/40 now) I need to give a proper cushioning to my knees. The search on net is actually no help. Most blogs are full of affiliate links therefore I suspect the genuine ness of research.
Any suggestions from fello runners is welcome. I am looking at about 8k budget max.
To my knowledge there is no direct co-relation to having the need for cushion as age goes up; it depends on the individual's condition.

I'll suggest getting to a proper running store to get support on the right shoes for you. Refer to @cataclysm's advice; I have been using Saucony for the past 2+ years - good shoes with cushion options.
Old 4th February 2018, 12:35   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
First you need to find out your pronation. Here is an informative link

You can get a gait analysis at any Asics store. That'll help you narrow down the shoes you should look for. Here is another link to help you narrow down your search.

I've been using Asics, Mizuno, and Saucony. All of them have shoes which fit your budget, however, Mizuno and Saucony are only available online.
Thanks for the nice suggestion. I would visit the store ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
To my knowledge there is no direct co-relation to having the need for cushion as age goes up; it depends on the individual's condition.

I'll suggest getting to a proper running store to get support on the right shoes for you. Refer to @cataclysm's advice; I have been using Saucony for the past 2+ years - good shoes with cushion options.
Actually I just mentioned age but I was not correlating. Knees need support at all ages.
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:30   #171
Senior - BHPian

Any members for the Bangalore Contours Run this Sunday ? Unfortunately we don't have any tbhp head bands for runners
Online registration is closed, only spot entries today and tomorrow !
The Running / Marathon Thread-cr.png

Last edited by shajufx : 2nd March 2018 at 13:32.
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:38   #172
BHPian

I would be running the 5k at Contours run this Sunday. Downgraded from 10k to run with my son
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:07   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I would be running the 5k at Contours run this Sunday. Downgraded from 10k to run with my son
How did you downgrade ? Are you getting the chip for 5k ?
Comparing my previous runs, this is one without any preparations, I had breathing issues whole of winter, so missed out all my morning runs. So, this 10k might be a torture on my body I feel, not sure !
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:25   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
How did you downgrade ? Are you getting the chip for 5k ?
Comparing my previous runs, this is one without any preparations, I had breathing issues whole of winter, so missed out all my morning runs. So, this 10k might be a torture on my body I feel, not sure !
Downgrade means, I registered for 5K with timing chip instead of the usual 10K (and not that I had registered for 10K and now am running 5k). Sorry for the confusion

My suggestion for you would be to stick to 10k, but take it easy if you face any problems. All the best for your run
Old 2nd March 2018, 17:12   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
My suggestion for you would be to stick to 10k, but take it easy if you face any problems. All the best for your run
Thanks for the suggestion. As of now body is ok to take it, although preparation is nothing compared to the previous ones. All the best to you too ! Wish I could recognise you in the crowd. I dont mind carrying bottom part of a green soap dish, you could carry a top part of the same (as in olden movies where villain and hero recognise each other as brothers)
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:17   #176
BHPian

My 2018 goal was to run 5k. By the end of February I had already achieved and exceeded this goal of mine I want to take it up to a half marathon by end of the year.

Quick background - initially I could not run more than 2 kms. I just turned 25, 170 cm height and 67 kg weight. I did the Stronglift 5x5 program for about 1.5 months, have been on the LCHF diet since a while and have shed a few pounds. Cut down drinking by 80% and smoking from couple of packs a week to couple of sticks a week. I believe this is the strongest, fittest and lightest that I have ever been.

Currently, my 5k time is 33 min and 10k time is 1hr 15m. I am now focussing on improving stamina and increasing pace now for the next few weeks!

I am enjoying running! Is there any newbie runner from Gurgaon or around DLF who would like to join me on runs. Please hit me up.

Cheers,
Promit

Last edited by promit : 3rd March 2018 at 08:20. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:15   #177
BHPian

Sharing my friend's blog about his first full marathon. The blog was thrilling and motivating even for a guy like me, who is not into running. I hope it will serve as an inspiration for the fellow BHPians.
Link to the blog
Old 13th October 2018, 09:09   #178
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am planning to run Pune international marathon this time. Never run before. just started excercising couple of months back. Couple of days a week I do only treadmill at the gym and rest of the days I do weight training as well.

Since I have never run at a marathon, I wanted to know what is a good time to aim for beginners running 5 km or 10 km? At the moment I am able to do 5 kms on a treadmill in just about 40 minutes with incline set on 2.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:53   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys I am planning to run Pune international marathon this time. Never run before. just started excercising couple of months back. Couple of days a week I do only treadmill at the gym and rest of the days I do weight training as well.

Since I have never run at a marathon, I wanted to know what is a good time to aim for beginners running 5 km or 10 km? At the moment I am able to do 5 kms on a treadmill in just about 40 minutes with incline set on 2.
By "marathon" I trust you mean the full 42 kms. If that is the case, at the outset I'd say you should attempt a half first before heading to the full zone.

However it's not impossible; several people have done it in the past. I'll let you be the judge of that. A few suggestions

1. Look up / read on training blogs by runners; there are aplenty giving details on their running / training schedules atleast a month or two in advance with rigorous schedules that start from a few kms to even doing 21 and 30 km practice runs

2. Figure out running groups. Easiest option is the Striders group - they are present in most cities and they'll have fellow runners doing a similar schedule for 10k/21k/42k; and with a detailed training plan. You decide the final plan to be followed.

3. Identify running buddies. Nothing makes it easier than that. My road to my first half would have been quite tough if I didn't have my running group back in the US; I used to do 4 - 8 mile runs with them about 3 days a week dedicatedly before I did my first half with one of them. On my own, I wouldn't have done even half of those runs! Since then, 16 halfs across two continents and 4 countries, the race is on!

4. Have fun

Edit: Agree with @hayek on the speed part - please DO NOT consider speed for your first half/full or even the practice runs

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th October 2018 at 10:14.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:57   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Don’t focus on speed initially if you are doing a full marathon (or even shorter distances like the half or 10k). Listen to your body and run at a comfortable pace for your first few long runs. Don’t try to run a marathon if all you have done is 5 Ks.

I started running back in 2013-14, after a lifetime of not having exercised. I ramped up distances slowly. In 2013, it started with walks - 3 km initially rising to about 6 km per day. Then took up cycling, and moved to running gradually. Did my first long run at the SCMM 2014 with the 6 km dream run. Started running more regularly in the second half of 2014- and promptly injured my knee due to running too fast with improper gait and the wrong shoe. However, with some Physiotherapy and coaching, managed to recover in time to run the half marathon at SCMM 2015 in 2 hours 29 minutes. Did several other half marathons after that - Delhi 2015 and 2016, IDBI - 2016 and 2017, Satara 2017 and SCMM 2016 and 2017. Got my personal best down to 2 hrs 10 minutes in that process. Did my first full in 2017 in about 5 hrs 25 minutes and just completed my second full last week in just under 5 hrs. My own coach at Striders did his first full in over 6 hrs, and has now completed the World Majors doing 4:30 at Chicago last week. Others move faster - I have friends who moved from 5Ks to the full in twelve months. But they were usually folks who had historically been very fit, and were new only to running.

Take care and best of luck.

Last edited by Hayek : 13th October 2018 at 10:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks