Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 16:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: I love Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Nice topic. I like to run, but not long distance. I usually do 10-15 sprints of 200 metres, each followed by 1-2 minutes of walking.
Over the past few weeks, I find that I am not so enthu about going to the gym as I once was. Hence, I'm thinking of taking up long distance running again with this plan: Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan After that, I plan to continue progressing gradually till I can run at least 45 mins - 1 hour at least twice a week.

I used to run fairly regularly in college [between 8-10 kms], and one area which I think limited my stamina and range then was my breathing pattern. My natural breathing pattern while running is 2 small inhalations followed by 2 small exhalations. I remember that I'd experimented with breathing in & out thru only nose, thru nose and mouth both. However, whatever way I followed, I ran out of breath after 10-11 kms.

Is there any optimum breathing pattern, or was I not pacing myself correctly? Any other tips for a potential born again runner?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th July 2012, 17:46   #47
BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Any Bangalore BHPians running in the Urban Stampede? I was there last year, and will be going this year too.
Old 19th July 2012, 19:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

So guys who all running the Mumbai Marathon this year. Registrations have started today and probably will get over in a day or two. I suggest enroll immediately if you dont wanna get disappointed. Im planning on doing the half marathon again.

Will have to start training for it then.
Old 20th July 2012, 09:33   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
So guys who all running the Mumbai Marathon this year. Registrations have started today and probably will get over in a day or two. I suggest enroll immediately if you dont wanna get disappointed. Im planning on doing the half marathon again.

How to sign up for a non-timed run category!! Are those slots over already?
Attached Images

Old 20th July 2012, 11:19   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
How to sign up for a non-timed run category!! Are those slots over already?
Yes, even I would be interested in signing up and it will have to be non-timed category, I think.

Last year, I participated in Pune Marathon (half) and completed it in 3h 7min. But nobody recorded my timing (or at least I do not have any certificate/record of that). It was first time for me so I was just happy that I could run for 21 km. Now that I know I can run the full distance, i would like to know how to make sure the timing is registered anfd we get a certificate or something...

Veterans, please advise.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Running the Full this year. Most likely will have a few people from Hyderabad for company. Am also intending to run at the Bangalore Ultra. Anybody else from here?

BTW guys check out some amazing stories here Runner Entries | Airtel Hyderabad Marathon

Last edited by MileCruncher : 20th July 2012 at 14:06.
Old 20th July 2012, 17:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Running the Full this year. Most likely will have a few people from Hyderabad for company. Am also intending to run at the Bangalore Ultra. Anybody else from here?
No chief not the full Marathon for me as yet...or maybe never. That is a mental game and i have no patience of that level. I have also signed up for the Amsterdam half marathon this year in October but my cousin decides to get married on the exact same date so i dont think i will be going to Amsterdam, this year at least. Half is good enough for me.

And regarding the non timed entry, i dont think there is a category like that unless you are talking about the 7 km Dream Run which is more like a parade.

Last edited by V-16 : 20th July 2012 at 17:11.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:45   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And regarding the non timed entry, i dont think there is a category like that unless you are talking about the 7 km Dream Run which is more like a parade.
Going by this logic, if one does not have timing certificate/record, he/she can not participate and if one can not participate, he/she will not get a timing certificate/record...

BTW, you are talking specifically about the Mumbai one or Marathon in general?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 24th July 2012 at 10:46.
Old 26th July 2012, 19:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Going by this logic, if one does not have timing certificate/record, he/she can not participate and if one can not participate, he/she will not get a timing certificate/record...

BTW, you are talking specifically about the Mumbai one or Marathon in general?
I think you are right. They have made it mandatory this year for the half and full marathon to have participated in some kind of run earlier. I dont really know what that means but ill find out and come back on this.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:07   #55
BHPian

good to find out that there are so many BHPians here who are interested in marathons. I have been running since quite sometime now, have ran last 7 editions of the Mumbai marathon (full marathon). Also have run all the editions of Bangalore Ultra (50K). Will be glad if I can be of any help in resolving any queries / confusions on the same

I train in Bangalore, saturday is my long run day, and am open to run absolutely anywhere as long as it is not a treadmill.
Lets catch up sometime on the run!

Last edited by evilshantanu : 23rd August 2012 at 12:09.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Is there any optimum breathing pattern, or was I not pacing myself correctly? Any other tips for a potential born again runner?
Breathing is the result of bodies requirement of oxygen. It's not something you can control as it is an involuntary activity. What you need to make sure is that the demand is reduced. The answer to the second part of your question will help with that.
There are 4 heart rate zones. Zone 1, Zone 2 are aerobic zones. Zone 3 and zone 4 are more anaerobic. For sustenance in any physical activity you need to make sure your heart rate is in zone 1 or zone 2. Sustenance over a long period in Zone 3 and zone 4 is not possible as it it results in fatigue. So what you could do is get a v02 max test done and find your HR zones. You could use rough HR zone calculators, but they would be slightly inaccurate. When you train make sure you are always in zone 1 and zone 2 (initially). To start off with low speeds themselves will make you go into zone 3. Be patient and continue training.
Please invest in a good HR monitor and if possible try running barefeet or use shoes that emulate bare feet running. Running with well paded shoes will ruin you running ergonomics.
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:49   #57
BHPian

India's first running related Podcasts is here, enjoy!

Podcast Link
Old 27th August 2012, 22:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Please invest in a good HR monitor and if possible try running barefeet or use shoes that emulate bare feet running. Running with well paded shoes will ruin you running ergonomics.
I'd suggest against blindly recommending folks to bare feet running. While its catching up as a major fad, it may not suit everyone. Esp those with arch pain etc while running.

Best advice would be to reach out to a podiatrist or some specialty running store, get your feet sampled etc. I had tremendous arch pain while running, and the running store guy recommended I run with stability shoes. I run on Brooks Adrenaline with insoles actually.
Old 28th August 2012, 00:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I'd suggest against blindly recommending folks to bare feet running. While its catching up as a major fad, it may not suit everyone. Esp those with arch pain etc while running.

Best advice would be to reach out to a podiatrist or some specialty running store, get your feet sampled etc. I had tremendous arch pain while running, and the running store guy recommended I run with stability shoes. I run on Brooks Adrenaline with insoles actually.
And having lived with insoles for now 2 odd years, i think they're overhyped in some cases. My feet are happiest barefeet or in floaters. Even the old tennis shoes

Some podiatrists esp in india just want to send you to an orthotics company to sell u a 6-7k insole. Ask / shop around - there are options these days if u go in for them.

In your post i see you knocking barefoot running - whereas what you seem to have done is developed arch pain while running in one type of shoes, and then went in for a different type of shoes (with insoles). Where does barefoot running come into the mix?
Old 28th August 2012, 09:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And having lived with insoles for now 2 odd years, i think they're overhyped in some cases. My feet are happiest barefeet or in floaters. Even the old tennis shoes

Some podiatrists esp in india just want to send you to an orthotics company to sell u a 6-7k insole. Ask / shop around - there are options these days if u go in for them.

In your post i see you knocking barefoot running - whereas what you seem to have done is developed arch pain while running in one type of shoes, and then went in for a different type of shoes (with insoles). Where does barefoot running come into the mix?
Not talking about my case. I started running on Indian Adidas shoes which had more style than utility. Then blindly followed reviews on the internet and got myself Asics Gel 12 or so and had terrible pain in the arch while running.

Then went to a specialty running shoe and got myself Brooks GTS 11 without the insoles and managed to run a Half Marathon last Oct without much of a training.

When I restarted running this year, I started running on the same GTS 11 and started developing this arch pain when I tried to run fast. Went to the running store again and the chap there suggested I run with the insoles, and I could see myself running better with them. Overhyped or not.

On the other hand, my neighbor started running on Vibram 5 fingers, trained for a couple of weeks and then had such tremendous pain that he couldn't run again. Moved to stability shoes and guess he has improved on his distances.

I'm not against barefeet running, but I can see it more of a fad that everyone wants to jump on. It may be the best option for running, but not for everyone

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks