Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 16:10   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Maybe we can create a strava group. Team bhp ians on strava. Anyone keen anywhere in india can join.

Thoughts?
https://www.strava.com/clubs/133157/leaderboard

Apparently some cyclists have already made a Team BHP club on Strava. Perhaps the runners can sign up to that group as well if interested (and if that's ok)?
Old 13th November 2018, 16:33   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Apparently some cyclists have already made a Team BHP club on Strava. Perhaps the runners can sign up to that group as well if interested (and if that's ok)?
I think the TBHP club on Strava only tracks cycling activities. I see only my cycling activities listed in the club. If the moderator can expand the activities to running as well, then it should work. Or maybe a separate runners club can be started.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:09   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I think the TBHP club on Strava only tracks cycling activities. I see only my cycling activities listed in the club. If the moderator can expand the activities to running as well, then it should work. Or maybe a separate runners club can be started.
It would be nice if the same club can include running and cycling. as it is it has limited members. differentiating run and bike doesn't make sense. perhaps the admin could expand this.
Old 13th November 2018, 20:01   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It would be nice if the same club can include running and cycling. as it is it has limited members. differentiating run and bike doesn't make sense. perhaps the admin could expand this.
I have added a post requesting to add running (and maybe swim as well) to the club. Moderator Aditya has responded that it is a good idea. Will update once this is added.
Old 14th November 2018, 09:36   #200
BHPian

Quote:
I have added a post requesting to add running (and maybe swim as well) to the club. Moderator Aditya has responded that it is a good idea. Will update once this is added.
That is a good idea. I would definitely join the group.

Apart from that, what running events are bhpians taking part in 2019?

Here is my tentative list:

1. Trail-a-thon
2. Hyderabad Marathon
3. Solang SkyUltra
Old 14th November 2018, 11:37   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
My (wish) list:
1. Coimbatore Marathon
2. Ooty heritage run
3. Coorg heritage run
4. Srirangapatna heritage run

All the above are half marathons. Planning to do a full marathon and maybe an ultra in 2020.

Apart from running:
1. Goa 70.3 half iron
2. Thonnur 70.3 half iron
3. Thonnur swimmathon
Old 14th November 2018, 11:45   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And what's the purpose of such clubs (honest Q). I have been a member, tried to use it, experienced the notifications as more of a distraction than anything else and moved out of the group.

IMO Strava has still to (provide and) make better use of the groups with better functionality.
Old 14th November 2018, 13:42   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! Discovered cycling thread a few months ago and now this one!

Good to see like minded people who love to drive, love to cycle, love to run, usually these 3 are mutually exclusive so I have always had to pursue my running friends to make a road trip for a marathon and that's more tiring psychologically than the actual marathon itself :-) I have managed to make road trips to Goa and Hyderabad for the marathons a couple of times, but this year had to give up pursuing and take the shatabdi back and forth to Hyderabad!

Pursuing passionate drivers to start running and registering for marathons has been even more difficult :-)

Next one for me will be Vasai Virar Marathon (9 Dec), surely a road trip and then of course TMM (even this one I have managed to convert into a road trip 3 out of 4 times, in spite of all the pain of parking overnight in VT/Churchgate).

Anyone here loves to drive to outstation marathons?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 14th November 2018 at 13:43.
Old 14th November 2018, 13:59   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
And what's the purpose of such clubs (honest Q). I have been a member, tried to use it, experienced the notifications as more of a distraction than anything else and moved out of the group.

IMO Strava has still to (provide and) make better use of the groups with better functionality.
Not sure what you are looking for from the group. As things stand, it is perhaps the same as following an individual athlete, except you can track a pre-defined group with some commonality.

One can easily use Strava simply to track your own workouts only and have no social interaction element to it. Following athletes (or a group of athletes via a Club) is a personal choice. With a lot of fitness applications, people seem to have surmised that a social angle can help people get motivated / competitive and therefore urge to do more towards their fitness.

As far as distractions go, that applies to all social media. The notifications settings can easily be modulated to your requirement I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post

Great choice Solang Ultra. I am quite intrigued by the various Hell's race events and want to do one at some point. Wanted to do Solang at some point but 2018 / 19 have both had conflicting events for me.

My confirmed list below:

1. TMM 21.1 - 20th Jan (just another training run);
2. Dubai 70.3 Half Iron - 1st Feb (A race)
3. Chicago full marathon - 13 Oct (A race) - if I can get a bib.

Might just do Goa 70.3 half iron on 13th Jan but will be a training effort if I do - its too close to Dubai for comfort.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th November 2018 at 14:01.
Old 14th November 2018, 14:25   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I do. I have driven to Coorg, Goa, Mysore and Ooty for the heritage runs and triathlons.

I mostly choose the heritage runs than the regular marathons that take place in the city. That makes both the drive and run great experience.
Old 14th November 2018, 14:42   #206
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! Nice thread, was wondering how would just oxymoronic ( :P ) hobbies like Driving and Running can fit in one place !!

I Started in Jan 2016 with my first 10k. Did my First Full last TMM Jan 2018. In these two years, i forgot the world i've been accustomed to. Had to ignore many friends, social forums, in fact my life style itself changed !!

But what i managed is a 67 min 10k in 2016 to a 4:05 FM in 2018. Was well on course to do a 3:40 FM when developed an injury (ITB) post 35th km !! so much that the last 7 kms took me 70 full minutes.

My other records so far...
5k PB: 20:28
10k PB: 42:43
21k PB: 1:36

Usually do cycling as cross training activity:
Longest ride : 112 kms
Fastest 100km : 3:24
Fastest 40 km: 1:16

Been out of action mostly post my Full. Need to get back in game soon!
Old 14th November 2018, 15:22   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Quote:
I do. I have driven to Coorg, Goa, Mysore and Ooty for the heritage runs and triathlons.
Ditto here. Used to do that in the US; have started the same here.

Quote:
I mostly choose the heritage runs than the regular marathons that take place in the city. That makes both the drive and run great experience.
Heritage runs - any list that you can share?
Old 14th November 2018, 16:13   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Heritage runs - any list that you can share?
Here you go.

https://www.goheritagerun.com/

Lots of runs happening in Madhya Pradesh till March 2019.

Last edited by graaja : 14th November 2018 at 16:15.
Old 16th November 2018, 20:17   #209
BHPian

Quote:

I tried editing the club, looks like a Strava club can either be Running or Cycling. You can't have two activities associated with one club
Old 16th November 2018, 21:32   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
I tried editing the club, looks like a Strava club can either be Running or Cycling. You can't have two activities associated with one club
You could use the Triathlon option for the club. This will track swimming, running and cycling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks