Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2020, 08:23   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Remember that running on concrete/cement > asphalt >>> dirt gives the knee a proper beating. Ideally you want to limit running on hard surfaces as that knee surgery and recovery at 60 will be very hard. Always better to play a sport (non-rhythmic running) or bicycling.

But as always, start a new activity slowly and gradually ramp up the intensity. Consult your doctor before running big events like marathons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Wood's statement bothers me a bit.

Can long-termers please comment on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Well, in my personal view what Wood's said makes sense because he is a sportsman and he did that for his career which is not the case with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Not a long termer. But over the past year, running has really helped me a great deal. It is a fantastic stress buster, improved my over all health and surprisingly, my knee joints (which were always tender) feel much better. Ofcourse I also do not put together the miles as he claims to.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th May 2020 at 08:25.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 09:43   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, Any suggestions for a good fitness tracker for tracking runs and trainings?

I may not buy it immediately but would need one for sure. I have a Samsung galaxy Watch that I now realize is a good smart watch but falters when you want to use it as a fitness tracker.
When it comes to sports tracking, nothing like Garmin.

If you have the budget, I would highly recommend the Fenix series. I have Fenix 5 for the past 2.5 years and I wear it 24x7. It tracks all fitness activities like running, cycling, swimming, cardio, yoga etc., and also daily fitness metrics like resting heart rate, sleep and steps etc.

The mid range would be the Garmin Vivoactive series. They have a different look and feel, but do almost 80% of what Fenix does.

Just remember one thing about these watches. The optical HR is good enough to track activities with steady heart rate like steady runs, weight training etc. If you want to accurately track your heart rate during interval training, then you will need to use a heart rate monitor based on chest strap. You can pair the chest strap to the activity tracker and it will automatically use data from the chest strap when connected.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 13:28   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a recent convert to the pleasures of running and clocking almost similar weekly distance as him, Wood's statement bothers me a bit.
Professional runners do 3 or 4 times as much distance per week when they are training for races. There are quite a few running vlogs on YouTube (from non-professionals). They also train at high volume (50-100 miles per week) for a good part of the year, with a few of them having already started running many years ago while still in high-school or college. So I guess the volume alone cannot be the issue.

Here is an old article where Tiger Woods talking about his training activity from early days:
Quote:
Tiger Woods on his old workout routine: “Well, I used to get up in the morning, run four miles,” Woods said. “Then I’d go to the gym, do my lift. Then I’d hit balls for two to three hours. I’d go play, come back, work on my short game. I’d go run another four more miles, and then if anyone wanted to play basketball or tennis, I would go play basketball or tennis. That was a daily routine. I’m not doing any of that now.”
I shouldn't really be commenting on training regimes of top-class athletes but, perhaps the issue was not volume, but lack of recovery catching up with him in the long run. Being a top-class sportsperson, I guess he would've had access to professional advice on his training. If that is the case, I am surprised how he was "allowed" to train so hard as to hurt himself.

I have been running off and on for a few years now and quite regularly from January of 2018. It is now that I have hit 50+ km per week for the last couple of months, only because the current situation (covid-19 restrictions on movement) allows me to rest my legs much more than otherwise. Even at lower volume, regular running has given me couple of issues - achilles, possibly a lower back issue - but I think they are more due to other factors than just volume (not stretching enough, lack of warmup/cooldown, leg strength). Or in other words, due to not taking better care of my legs while running regularly. I have had to take professional help (physio) a couple of times in the past 12 months. I believe exercises they suggested will help me avoid injury (if I don't turn lazy/careless enough to skip them when I don't have any issues, of course!!)
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 13:47   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This is something new for me. Is it recomended to get a size larger even for your daily runs? Its time for me to replace my shoes that I bought from Decathlon. Intention is to buy from one of the other brands this time (Nike/Asics/Adidas etc)
Strenuous running or long distance running causes the feet to expand a little and hence wearing a size bigger compensates that. This I got to know from professionals after I ran my first 10k run. As I said, I couldn’t move my feet for good 10-15 days after the run.
As for shoes, I prefer Reebok or Asics, both have good range of running shoes and comfortable to boot. For daily runs also, I at least wear the size larger. If you don’t have any issues running in the standard shoe size then that’s your call entirely but I would prefer you to upsize but that’s entirely my view.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 14:12   #260
BHPian

Quote:
As a recent convert to the pleasures of running and clocking almost similar weekly distance as him, Wood's statement bothers me a bit.

Can long-termers please comment on this.
Well you surely can't argue with seasoned athletes like woods, but it's worthwhile to understand that natural easy running should't be bad as we, as a species, have been doing that as we evolved.

I would recommend that you read 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall, where he advocates for barefoot running. I, myself, have been doing barefoot running for quite some time now. These are my regular 5K runs on alternate weekdays followed by 10K or 21K on the weekends. I don't feel the peculiar cramp in my calf muscles when I run barefoot, compared to the runs with branded shoes.

The book is kind of connect the dots experience where he draws a point that that humans are natural long distance runners. In a straight line race, even a squirrel can defeat a man but we can defeat any other species in a long distance run. He further adds that Women are better at this than men.
ritzy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 16:35   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
When it comes to sports tracking, nothing like Garmin.

If you have the budget, I would highly recommend the Fenix series. I have Fenix 5 for the past 2.5 years and I wear it 24x7. It tracks all fitness activities like running, cycling, swimming, cardio, yoga etc., and also daily fitness metrics like resting heart rate, sleep and steps etc.

Thanks. In the hindsight, I should have probably bought a Garmin instead of Galaxy watch. But now it seems a bit overarching to spend that kind of money on a Fenix. It will render the Galaxy watch useless.

Galaxy watch tracks most activities and has continuous heart rate tracking as well. My biggest grouse with the heart rate sensor is that it ends up being erratic specially when I up and down my intensity.

That and it does not have any workout mode for sprint training or HIIT. All was needed is a small prompt at the end of a user defined timelap to change the intensity. But no. It's just not there. The developers say something might come up in future updates. But this is something I can still live with.

I guess I should probably just go ahead and invest on a chest strap one. Wonder if it would be a comfortable thing to wear around while running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Strenuous running or long distance running causes the feet to expand a little and hence wearing a size bigger compensates that. This I got to know from professionals after I ran my first 10k run. As I said, I couldn’t move my feet for good 10-15 days after the run.
As for shoes, I prefer Reebok or Asics, both have good range of running shoes and comfortable to boot. For daily runs also, I at least wear the size larger. If you don’t have any issues running in the standard shoe size then that’s your call entirely but I would prefer you to upsize but that’s entirely my view.

Regards.
Thanks abhi. I will look into this aspect a bit more and consider while renewing my shoes once the shops open.

Last edited by vibbs : 5th May 2020 at 16:36.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 11:04   #262
Team-BHP Support

How is training coming along for most. Here is my update.

March to June I have barely trained. Combined with a bad lockdown diet I put on 6 kgs over race weight (I was 62 kgs in October 2019 Chicago marathon), today I am 68 kgs.

I tried some adhoc running in May and June but nothing to write home about.

Participated somehow in Comrades virtual celebration run in mid June - 10km in just under 60 mins or so but even that was a struggle. And a far cry from the 1:47 21k I ran in TMM 2020 just 6 months ago.

I am finally trying to get back on track with a mix of strength training at home, maybe more regular running and better food choices.

My indoor cycle setup is totally dismantled for now to make space for a small work area. Since its next to a window.

For 2020, my current realistic goal is just to get back into some good base building and regain a fitter body.

I will only sign up for overseas races after there is a reliable end in sight to the covid uncertainty, even if it means not racing for the better part of 2021.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 15:23   #263
BHPian

Almost similar with me, Axe.

My weight is up from 72 kgs to 76. The lockdown eased up here around mid-May, so I did resume running 4 times a week. With no races planned, I am just doing some base building.

The aim is to slowly bring my weekly mileage up from 45-55 Kms/week right now to about 90-100 Kms/week by the end of the year.

I'm looking to get my HM time down to 1:30-1:35 and FM time to 3:30-3:40 next year.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 16:49   #264
BHPian

Hey Guys

One question that has always troubled me. I am not able to run a lot in the morning. Evenings I can sustain, but in mornings, my body feels very dull. I just wanted to know is there any benefit of running in the morning or is it all the same?
Old 7th September 2020, 19:26   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia_fanboy View Post
Hey Guys

One question that has always troubled me. I am not able to run a lot in the morning. Evenings I can sustain, but in mornings, my body feels very dull. I just wanted to know is there any benefit of running in the morning or is it all the same?
One advantage I can think of running in the morning is that you would be in a fasted state because of at least 10 hours of no food since dinner and insulin levels will be very low and your body will easily burn fat for the run.

Other than this, just in terms of fitness, I don't think there is any difference between a morning or evening run. So, if you feel good running in the evening, you should do so. But if you plan to participate in any marathon, then you should practice and get used to morning runs as all the events take place in the morning.
Old 27th September 2020, 01:11   #266
BHPian

Hi Guys!

I started running in August after 11 years. So many new information like Aerobic, Anaerobic base, V02max and etc. Absolutely had no idea about all this before I started running. I read that I need to improve my aerobic base first, so have been trying to improve my aerobic base. I have completed 12 runs since August 13th when I started. I had to take a break in between because I injured my ankle, hence had to take 18 days break.

My smartwatch shows that Aerobic Training effect is in Level 2, Maintain. Maintains the aerobic effect. I started doing walk/run for 2/3 mins. Yesterday completed 5kms of running in this format. My 5kms run took me 35 mins. Today for the first time ran 3kms continuously without stopping and it took me 21 mins.

My question is how do I improve my aerobic base from Level 2 Maintain your aerobic fitness to Level 4 Boost your aerobic fitness?
Old 15th December 2020, 16:02   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a teambhp club on strava?
Old 15th December 2020, 16:16   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is there a teambhp club on strava?
Yes. There is

https://www.strava.com/clubs/133157
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 16:40   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Not much of a runner, I just run to warm up before doing something else, but had a question- is running barefoot on a beach actually more stressful than running with shoes on the road?

The reason I ask is since I'm away from Bangalore and close to a beach, I've been running on the beach barefoot for the past month. And am getting pulls and catches in my calves and lower foot quite often. Never got those when I used to run in Cubbon Park with shoes. Doing the same warmups and cool downs so am wondering if the difference is because I'm running barefoot now. So thinking of starting to use shoes on the beach as well, though I'd prefer not to. (Thanks in advance for any replies.)

Last edited by am1m : 15th December 2020 at 16:41.
Old 15th December 2020, 16:53   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Ok! Have asked to join.

Having recently kind of broken my hand, all my regular excercise have ground to a halt. I have never been a runner, but i think now is the time to embrace this. Will start tomorrow with my Nike Frees, but will graduate to asics gel by the new year as a gift if i get through this month with the 5k challenge.

Here goes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks