Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 19:36   #136
BHPian

Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
I have just started running a few months ago and increase the amount week on week. Any guidance on what is the apt amount to increase week on week. Are their any proven beginner marathon training plans ? I found a few on the net, not sure if these are any good though.
Any guidance will be appreciated
I am also a rookie marathoner planning to run my first half in a few weeks.

There are a few training plans at www.halhigdon.com. This is the one I tried: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...aining-Program

I just googled it up and the novice plan looked like a good place to start. Having followed it for close to 7 weeks now, I can feel my strength and stamina increasing week on week. Can't say if it is the best plan, but it is definitely working for me.

Hope it helps you too.
Old 30th January 2016, 14:59   #137
BHPian

New Delhi Marathon on 28th Feb. 5K, half marathon and marathon. See newdelhimarathon.com for details.
Old 6th April 2016, 12:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

Hey Runners,

I've started running a few months back (never run before, I'm 40 now) and liked it so much. I may not even call it run, I usually do 6/8/10 kms twice a week with around 6.3 type of pace and enjoy the nature around (mostly run at beautiful kaikondrahalli lake, bangalore or prefer to go out in nature and run). I've started liking this so much!
Recently, I've been facing problems with shin splints, majority of times on left leg (this looks to be the medieval). I saw some instructions on internet around stretching exercises and some specific to address shin splints, the immediate thing I have done is stopped running, I still start missing the runs and do <5min jog+5x100mtr sprint+300mtr jog> type workout once in a week apart from my usual 40 minutes strength workout 5 days a week.
I know 1>I need to give complete rest to the legs, 2>going ahead with some stretching exercises etc to recover from this and start running/jogging again. I want to avoid any medicines as long as possible.
Request you to give your inputs on the best way to fix shin splints without using medical assistance.
No issues with walking so far, I'm doing 10-15K steps on daily basis at the moment. I'm assuming I'll not have any issues related to fitness when I go for Roopkund trek in another 45 days from now.
thanks in advance.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:53   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hey Runners,

I've started running a few months back (never run before, I'm 40 now) I've been facing problems with shin splints, majority of times on left leg
I have been a runner during my earlier days. Have participated in 1500 meters state level back in 90s. However had stopped during my college. Few years back I have gone back to running. From my experience, though I am not a expert, the problem of shin splints would possibly be arising due to heavy use of heals while running. This could also happen to a beginner when given over work. I suggest reduce the distance and watch out your landing. If need be use bands around shin to help.

Sometimes the pain would be too much even to touch. Give rest and start gradually.

I just run for fun, generally around 5~6 km a day and if I get opportunity run those 10ks. Recently participated TCS 10K.
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:05   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
From my experience, though I am not a expert, the problem of shin splints would possibly be arising due to heavy use of heals while running. This could also happen to a beginner when given over work. I suggest reduce the distance and watch out your landing. If need be use bands around shin to help.

Sometimes the pain would be too much even to touch. Give rest and start gradually.

I just run for fun, generally around 5~6 km a day and if I get opportunity run those 10ks. Recently participated TCS 10K.
Thank you for your response.

I shall look at my running form. I've bene watching some good form, very closely before I started. I was using Marrell barefoot shoes (0mm drop / no cushion) , even for my work/casual usage. I ran majority of times using this same Marrell barefoot and some times using nike free 4.0 which is slightly more cushioned with 3mm drop I guess.
I'm hoping hell landing to be the last one, it may be more of the strength in my legs is what I felt. Recently run 10K at a beach (barefoot) and 8K day before at my usual place (a lake nearby my place). Don't see any shin splints symptoms anymore. Going to continue 5-8K type run, twice in a week and will continue to work on building strength + stretches, will get my form also checked by someone, had a video captured some time back but never got it reviewed, shall do it soon. Hopefully things should be fine. Thank you.
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:49   #141
BHPian

Hi,

I am a novice planning to start walking>jogging>running.
I have the luxury of a proper laid track.
Please recommend some inexpensive shoes to start with. I do not want to ivest a lot as I do not know if i'll be regular
Old 30th July 2016, 13:40   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi,

I am a novice planning to start walking>jogging>running.
I have the luxury of a proper laid track.
Please recommend some inexpensive shoes to start with. I do not want to ivest a lot as I do not know if i'll be regular
Adidas Supernova series.

Please get your feet pronation checked

Also, what is your current weight and height?

That would determine how much cushion you need
Old 30th August 2016, 12:10   #143
BHPian

Last Sunday I participated in a running event. Completed 5k in 27:50. How does this timing confirm to the average pace? I am 45.
Old 30th August 2016, 12:27   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Last Sunday I participated in a running event. Completed 5k in 27:50. How does this timing confirm to the average pace? I am 45.
I say, this is a good speed. I have done couple of 10Ks and it has always been 57 to 65 mins. I feel anything less than 55 mins or so is considered as a good speed for 10k .

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 30th August 2016 at 12:29. Reason: Edit
Old 31st August 2016, 17:49   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulation!
That's a pretty good pace at 5:34/Km. I would say its better than average, and even more so if haven't been running for all that long.
Old 31st August 2016, 19:42   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That's pretty good. Im 57 and last year I was getting close to the 5k in 26 minutes. Lost a bit of my condition so I m lucky to get below 30 minutes at the moment

Jeroen
Old 1st September 2016, 21:49   #147
Senior - BHPian

5K in 26 at 57 is superb !! Here is an age adjusted running time calculator where you can check how you performed. I wonder if Indian marathons announce age adjusted times.
http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator
Old 1st September 2016, 22:38   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
5K in 26 at 57 is superb !! Here is an age adjusted running time calculator where you can check how you performed. I wonder if Indian marathons announce age adjusted times.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator

Thanks. One thing. We lived in Delhi, Vasant Vihar. Having moved back to the Netherlands has also shown me the effect of the pollution, heat and humidity on my times. Its substantial!
Old 1st September 2016, 22:56   #149
Senior - BHPian

If I am not mistaken, most of the front line celebrity marathoners refused to participate in Beijing Olympics due to pollution. Ironically enough, the Olympic record was created there :-)
Old 1st September 2016, 23:37   #150
Senior - BHPian

Any advice on how to improve performance?
I have been running on and off for a couple of years.. In 2015 I ran regularly for 3-4 months for about 100 kms per month and then stopped. This year I have been running for the last 3 months at an average of 120-140 kms per month.

My current 5K time is around 28 mins and 10K around 1 hour, half marathon around 2:20
But I seem to be stuck at this range for some time. How do I go about improving the times? I have read lots of articles on the net but wanted to know what has worked for people. Is it just about being patient and following the routine?

I have some opportunity to lose some weight which will definitely improve my running performance. I am overweight by 6-7 kgs at least. So, my first goal is to take care of the calorie intake and reduce the weight by 5 kgs at least which should help my running.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks