Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marathon anyone?

Bumping up this old thread rather than starting a new one.

I first got introduced into running in 2008 and took part in the Hyderabad Half Marathon way back in August 2008 on a day's notice. I don't remember the time but it was 3 hours upward as I had twisted my ankle at the 16 Km mark and just about completed.

This year we had a Hyderabad Marathon last Sunday Home | Hyderabad Marathon and due to blisters (from a previous trek) registered only at the last moment and ran without any prep. I clocked a 3 Hours 4 Mins 47 sec. But thankfully due to my rock climbing and trekking regimen, the muscles didn't get much sore.

I aim to run a Full Marathon next year and a slew of half marathons like the Hyderabad Heritage Marathon and Airtel Delhi Half Marathon

I'm targeting 2:15 to 2:30 for the next half marathon and was wondering if I can get some tips on training schedules, diet et all.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

P.S: The Indian Marathon Calendar can be accessed here http://runinfinity.com/calendar/india-marathon-calendar

Last edited by MileCruncher : 2nd September 2011 at 12:08.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:54   #17
BHPian

I love Running

Did not find any thread dedicated to running. So starting a new one here only for running purpose. I'm sure there are quite a few guys here who do running, even the marathon one. purpose of this thread is to share our experience and help each other may be recovering form an injury.

I'm running on and off since last 10 years and smoking since may be 20 years. I do smoke 2-4 cig a day now. Recently i resumed running and using runkeeper app to track my progress. I feel good when ever run or play any sports or do the weights. But due to daily mundane tasks my these passion takes the hit.

Now i quit smoking since last 2 weeks and resumed running. I usually runs in the evening and in the office zym. That's enough for me to begin with. Please share your thoughts.
Old 15th May 2012, 11:30   #18
BHPian

Re: I love Running

Nice to have a running thread. I ran in a corporate 5K race (the urban stampede) last year. This year, I have registered for the TCS world 10K, but I haven't been training very hard. I would like to run a half-marathon some day. Other than that, I play badminton regularly, and run in the gym occasionally.
Old 15th May 2012, 11:40   #19
BHPian

Yeah, a good topic this one.
I have been trying to run since almost 6 months now. Actually, I do not belong to this thread cause I hate running. I need to do cardio to remain fit for my racing and running is the best way. I jog for somedays and then give it up. I have to force myself to go Jogging because I just don't enjoy it :(
If there's a way to make running more enjoyable, please let me know.

Now, I will be starting to cycle instead of jogging, lets see how it goes.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Listen to music and try running outdoors. I find that that helps keep me motivated. Also set goals for yourself and start increasing the challenge gradually. You'll find that the satisfaction you get from meeting your goals will keep you motivated.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Yeah, a good topic this one.
I have been trying to run since almost 6 months now. Actually, I do not belong to this thread cause I hate running. I need to do cardio to remain fit for my racing and running is the best way. I jog for somedays and then give it up. I have to force myself to go Jogging because I just don't enjoy it :(
If there's a way to make running more enjoyable, please let me know.

Agree with what khanak said. Couple of points like to add.
Are you facing any problem in your knee or feet during running. If yes then you might hate it. IN that case you need to get hold of a good pair of running shoe depending upon your feet shape. You may need to review your running style. And yes if you can run out door on early morning nothing beats that.

Cycling is also a very good idea if still you feel running does not excite you. Anycase go green and enjoy the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
Nice to have a running thread. I ran in a corporate 5K race (the urban stampede) last year. This year, I have registered for the TCS world 10K, but I haven't been training very hard. I would like to run a half-marathon some day. Other than that, I play badminton regularly, and run in the gym occasionally.
Good John. Enjoy the 10k run. Do not forget to post your timings. Are you opting for the timing chip?
Any more 10k guys here?

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th May 2012 at 17:14. Reason: Rule 5b
Old 15th May 2012, 15:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good thread!

I started running about 5 years back but stopped. Started seriously about 9 months back (Sep'11)with my first official half marathon without preparation. I was inspired to take up running seriously by seeing the pace what regular amateur runners were doing.

Since then have gone on to do quite a few Half Marathons (both events and practice). Did my first full marathon (actually slightly more at 43.3Km) last month. Presently preparing for my first official Full Marathon in August.

Few of my running goals for this season:
  1. Do my first Marathon under 4:30
  2. Successfully complete 50K at Bangalore Ultra
  3. Complete the Ultra of 56K at Two Oceans Marathon, SA within the cut-off time.
  4. Try and do an under 50 mins 10K at TCS10K
All the best to each and everyone who is getting into long distance running.

Cheers
Old 15th May 2012, 15:53   #23
BHPian

Thats a impressive milestone you have milecruncher. Good to know that you've completed 43.3+. What was your timing. Never done a full marathon only one half marathon in 2 hour 21 min time. I had issues in my ankles. Planning to go for a full one this year.

For me good part of running is i feel good. Currently running on a treadmill and average i maintain is 10.5 KM per hour for 40 min. Always intend to run more, but queue in the gym for treadmill force me to quit. I enjoy getting drenched in sweat and good part is i do not smoke when i'm on running mode, i'm more in control of myself. Lot of plus and no minus.
Old 15th May 2012, 15:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Listen to music and try running outdoors. I find that that helps keep me motivated. Also set goals for yourself and start increasing the challenge gradually. You'll find that the satisfaction you get from meeting your goals will keep you motivated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Agree with what khanak said. Couple of points like to add.
Are you facing any problem in your knee or feet during running. If yes then you might hate it. IN that case you need to get hold of a good pair of running shoe depending upon your feet shape. You may need to review your running style. And yes if you can run out door on early morning nothing beats that.

Cycling is also a very good idea if still you feel running does not excite you. Anycase go green and enjoy the environment.
Thanks both of you'll.

No I am not facing any physical problems. Just that it bores me to death. I do run outdoors only.
How do you listen to music while running? The earphones make quite a bit of sound as they move up and down while running and that becomes a further irritant.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:01   #25
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love to run but I wanted something more exciting but similar sort of workout as running. I turned to cycling.

Now, I cycle around 100 kms a week plus alternate Sundays do around 50kms ride. Monsoons might hamper the schedule but still try to keep up.
My aim is to do Mumbai-Lonavala by this year end.

Pedal On!

P.S - Jog On too
Old 15th May 2012, 16:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

After almost two month of gymming, the best I am able to do is around 2.9kms/20 mins. I am yet to try the outdoor running, planned to do it on last weekend but failed.

Is there any upcoming marathon happening in Delhi? Would love to take part, I am pretty sure that I don't stand any chance of completing it but would still give it a try.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a impressive milestone you have milecruncher. Good to know that you've completed 43.3+. What was your timing. Never done a full marathon only one half marathon in 2 hour 21 min time. I had issues in my ankles. Planning to go for a full one this year.
My Official PB for HM is 2:05 whereas I have done about 2:02 in training. The 43.3 was done in 5:40. Nice and easy pace running.

Quote:
For me good part of running is i feel good. Currently running on a treadmill and average i maintain is 10.5 KM per hour for 40 min. Always intend to run more, but queue in the gym for treadmill force me to quit. I enjoy getting drenched in sweat and good part is i do not smoke when i'm on running mode, i'm more in control of myself. Lot of plus and no minus.
I would suggest you to start running outdoors. Running outdoors is atleast 15-20% more difficult than running on treadmill.

Quote:
How do you listen to music while running? The earphones make quite a bit of sound as they move up and down while running and that becomes a further irritant.
There are special earphones from Phillips which have rubber protection to stop swet getting into the speaker and the rubber acts as a traction pad and stays put in the ears. This is the one you'll see many people wearing Philips SHQ1000 In-Ear Earphone Headset for MP3 MP4 | eBay

Cheers
Old 15th May 2012, 16:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Could someone tell correct way of running , I used to run some time back ,but need to start again .

1.Should you run daily or weekly ?
2.Should you land on the heel or entire foot ?
3. any other things to considered for not damaging the heel or causing any injury in long term ?
Old 15th May 2012, 17:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Could someone tell correct way of running , I used to run some time back ,but need to start again .

1.Should you run daily or weekly ?
2.Should you land on the heel or entire foot ?
3. any other things to considered for not damaging the heel or causing any injury in long term ?
1. Recommend start running 3 days a week alternate day and then you can increase or decrease frequency depending on outcome
2. I try to land on my feet, but still i do land with heels as i feel sometimes it does not matter as most running shoes have good shock absorber @ heel.
3. Try not to run land on heels, some times it's ok but not always. Consult somebody who knows which shoe fits your feet.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice topic. I like to run, but not long distance. I usually do 10-15 sprints of 200 metres, each followed by 1-2 minutes of walking.

Sharing some links that I found interesting:

Running Injury Free

Cool Running

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks