Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 12:21   #526
BHPian

re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
There are a lot of new releases in titanium. Did you buy prescription or plain?
Prescription they were. The lenses costed more than the frame. Phew!

I sort of did a comparo to self-convince that stainless steel is as good as titanium but the fact remains in favour of the latter as we all know it.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm happy wearing sunglasses while driving during the day. And I must thank you loud for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:31   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I wish GKB did educate the customer about the various colour options of frames and glasses on each model as the website does.
The MJ website is very comprehensive and offers solutions to all your queries.

I used to work for GKB and I know how their purchase works, they buy central and just send to the store without any orientation as such. The person directly selling to you would not even be aware of the color options and his only point of reference would be the catlaouge.
If I may add, there is a new model from MJ launching in India in March called Hot Sands. They would not even be aware and the Indian website will not have it. So he will say, its not available. Me as an independent has 15 pieces in all three color available as of date. There are many people like me in your city, passionate about what they do. They would always be your best best than fancy stores.
Old 14th February 2013, 21:42   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are many people like me in your city, passionate about what they do. They would always be your best best than fancy stores.
Can you recommend someone in Bangalore? I am looking for a good pair of polarized glasses for driving. Checked out a few stores for Ray Bans and they all had just 4-5 pairs of polarized glasses.
Old 14th February 2013, 22:49   #529
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Can you recommend someone in Bangalore? I am looking for a good pair of polarized glasses for driving. Checked out a few stores for Ray Bans and they all had just 4-5 pairs of polarized glasses.
Why bother?
Just buy from Beejay.
I did and am really happy with my MJ's. They are cool looking and supremely effective. The colour enhancement I am experiencing in my MJ's beats my Serengetis any day of the week, and Serengetis are amongst the best glasses in the world! Of course, we've been buying prescription glasses and lenses and stuff as a family, from Beejay's family for probably the last 25 years or more so it is an old relationship there.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th February 2013 at 22:50.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:19   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why bother?
Just buy from Beejay.
I don't mind that at all but how do you check the fitting and check if the design matches your face? Yes, if I find something I like in a store here, I suppose I can order it from Beejay.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:22   #531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

I don't mind that at all but how do you check the fitting and check if the design matches your face? Yes, if I find something I like in a store here, I suppose I can order it from Beejay.
I guess. But I know I favour Aviator style and in the large size so for me it was relatively easy.
Cheers.
Old 15th February 2013, 13:52   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Why bother?
Just buy from Beejay.
Of course, we've been buying prescription glasses and lenses and stuff as a family, from Beejay's family for probably the last 25 years or more so it is an old relationship there.
Prescription glasses? Beejay?? Woah.. It's been four years for me on this forum and this is NEWS OF THE DAY for me.

Beejay did point me to MJs and I succumbed to it, and boy am I glad! The MJ Pilot Silver/Neutral Grey. I went into the shop looking for the Maevricks but the Pilot just swept me off my feet with the thicker temples and distinctive from Ray Ban looks..

It's time for me to change my prescription glasses too and I have something in mind but I just can't find it any store I go to. Does Beejay run a shop in or near Bangalore?

Last edited by mempheS.D : 15th February 2013 at 14:06. Reason: pilot
Old 15th February 2013, 20:02   #533
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

Prescription glasses? Beejay?? Woah.. It's been four years for me on this forum and this is NEWS OF THE DAY for me.

Beejay did point me to MJs and I succumbed to it, and boy am I glad! The MJ Pilot Silver/Neutral Grey. I went into the shop looking for the Maevricks but the Pilot just swept me off my feet with the thicker temples and distinctive from Ray Ban looks..

It's time for me to change my prescription glasses too and I have something in mind but I just can't find it any store I go to. Does Beejay run a shop in or near Bangalore?
His outfit is in Coonoor. PM him for details.
Old 16th February 2013, 10:09   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The MJ website is very comprehensive and offers solutions to all your queries.

I used to work for GKB and I know how their purchase works, they buy central and just send to the store without any orientation as such. The person directly selling to you would not even be aware of the color options and his only point of reference would be the catlaouge.
If I may add, there is a new model from MJ launching in India in March called Hot Sands. They would not even be aware and the Indian website will not have it. So he will say, its not available. Me as an independent has 15 pieces in all three color available as of date. There are many people like me in your city, passionate about what they do. They would always be your best best than fancy stores.

I was planning to visit a nearest GKB store to check out the Banyans and this post is making me think about it.

Have a doubt.In Banyans,I see three glass options,one among those is Maui HT.It is kinda greenish in shade.And another is neutral grey. What is the difference between these two other than color.And is the Maui HT indeed green??Is the frame flexible?

Any recommendations for shops in Bangy where i can try out and see?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 16th February 2013 at 10:10.
Old 16th February 2013, 10:45   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why bother?
we've been buying prescription glasses and lenses and stuff as a family, from Beejay's family for probably the last 25 years or more so it is an old relationship there.
Thank you very much. Means a lot to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Have a doubt.In Banyans,I see three glass options,one among those is Maui HT.It is kinda greenish in shade.And another is neutral grey. What is the difference between these two other than color.And is the Maui HT indeed green??Is the frame flexible?

Any recommendations for shops in Bangy where i can try out and see?
There are three lens options in Mauijim Banyans

Neutral Grey(Black), HCL Bronze(Brown) and HT(Green)

The lens properties are same across all the three lenses.

The Neutral Grey is for bright and direct sunlight and offers the highest light reduction- Bright direct sunlight.

The HCL Bronze is for variable light conditions and provides the highest contrast.- Full sun to overcast.

The HT, High Transmission lenses are for low light conditions when the other two would be more dark, like dawn and dusk and offer more contrast and color during these times. The lenses are a subtle green shade indeed.- Low Light.

The Banyans are a Grilamid frame and are flexible. The lenses are Maui evolution

The Grilamid frames are ultimate in durability. Maui evolution lenses fuse the best properties of glass and poly carbonate for resistance against scratch and impact.

There are many dealers for the MJ range in Bangalore. All the best.
Old 16th February 2013, 11:02   #536
BANNED

Quote:

the MJ range in Bangalore. All the best.
Actually we must have been buying things from Grace Opticals right from the early 1980's so it is not 25 years but more like 33-34 years...
Old 17th February 2013, 15:58   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay

There are three lens options in Mauijim Banyans

Neutral Grey(Black), HCL Bronze(Brown) and HT(Green)

The lens properties are same across all the three lenses.

The Neutral Grey is for bright and direct sunlight and offers the highest light reduction- Bright direct sunlight.

The HCL Bronze is for variable light conditions and provides the highest contrast.- Full sun to overcast.

The HT, High Transmission lenses are for low light conditions when the other two would be more dark, like dawn and dusk and offer more contrast and color during these times. The lenses are a subtle green shade indeed.- Low Light.

The Banyans are a Grilamid frame and are flexible. The lenses are Maui evolution

The Grilamid frames are ultimate in durability. Maui evolution lenses fuse the best properties of glass and poly carbonate for resistance against scratch and impact.

There are many dealers for the MJ range in Bangalore. All the best.
Hi beejay

I have been reading your comments and recommendations for a while now. I am on the look out for sunglasses primarily for driving purpose especially during dawn & dusk.

I reside in Coimbatore, my budget is between 8-10 grand. I do not have much idea, please advice.

Thanks in advance
Old 18th February 2013, 09:20   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post
Hi beejay

I have been reading your comments and recommendations for a while now. I am on the look out for sunglasses primarily for driving purpose especially during dawn & dusk.

I reside in Coimbatore, my budget is between 8-10 grand. I do not have much idea, please advice.

Thanks in advance
Have a look at the Mauijim Hotsands in HT. They will be launched next month.

I will post a picture here as I dont think you will find it in the Mauijim website. recommending the HT as you mentioned dawn and dusk.

Last edited by beejay : 18th February 2013 at 09:31. Reason: cant upload
Old 20th February 2013, 10:02   #539
ACS
BHPian

Friends need your much valuable advise for me.

I am looking for a nice sunglasses while driving. I need to use it only for driving. Here comes the issue, I am using a specs since almost fifteen years and I wont be able to drive without that. I had been to many shops and asked whether I can buy a shades and incorporate the power but the response was negative.

Could someone please give some insight? Thanks!
Old 20th February 2013, 15:43   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
Friends need your much valuable advise for me.

I am looking for a nice sunglasses while driving. I need to use it only for driving. Here comes the issue, I am using a specs since almost fifteen years and I wont be able to drive without that. I had been to many shops and asked whether I can buy a shades and incorporate the power but the response was negative.

Could someone please give some insight? Thanks!
You have many options of lenses that incorporate your prescription.

Essilor, Zeiss, Kodak and many other brands have fixed tints that can help you. Mauijim and Rayban also have prescriptions.

Which stores did you visit in Blore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks